Hereditary leader is RPed by a Party -- WTF???

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Re: Hereditary leader is RPed by a Party -- WTF???

Postby Cold » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:45 pm

jmiz90 wrote:
Cold wrote:These sort of things should be addressed on a case-by-case basis. For instance, if I created a monarchy/business/organization in Nation X and then I left for Nation Y, in most cases I no longer have control over those things. However, say I came to Nation Y to establish the same monarch/business/organization from Nation X (See Terran Caliphate). I would still have control of the character in both countries unless otherwise stated. So should my monarch be assassinated in Nation X, while I'm in Nation Y, I would still be involved and essentially decide on the validity of the assassination.

Make sense?

In the case of a monarchy, if you were insistant on moving from Nation X to Nation Y, why should you still be controlling the monarchy in Nation X? You're no longer playing there, you have no legitimate connection that nation, IMO. If you wanted your monarchy to remain in that nation, it's your responsibility to either remain in that nation to look after it OR appoint another person to represent your monarchy in that nation. If we followed your idea, Jess could go around to every single nation, set up the same monarchy and leave a week later whilst still claiming to be the monarch of every single nation he's been in. In my opinion if you're wanting to have the one monarchy in control of various nations, you must have one person representing the monarchy in each and every applicable nation.

Something tells me you're not a monarchist very often. It is extremely difficult to set up and maintain monarchies across the world. I had one helluva time getting the Caliphate to Kafuristan, Al'Badara, and Talmoria. And the Caliphate only lasted for a week or two. :P Likely the monarchy will be overthrown within a few days of him leaving. In which case he's no longer be the monarch of those nations. But if he miraculously managed to keep these monarchies going in each nation without having to delegate power to other parties, than he can still control the monarchies of those nations.

In Jess' case right now, though, his party in... I'm actually not sure where it IS at the moment. But I know it has nothing to do with Beiteynu or its monarchs. Therefore, he has no control over the 'Queen' until he returns to Beteiynu.
Cold

Postby Jay (LDP) » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:05 am

Cold wrote:Something tells me you're not a monarchist very often.

Actually, I've played as a pro-monarchist party in Luthori for the past century and Mordusia for the century prior. It's been quite a while since I've played a non-monarchist party. Something tells me that your point is not all that relevant anyhow.

Cold wrote:It is extremely difficult to set up and maintain monarchies across the world. I had one helluva time getting the Caliphate to Kafuristan, Al'Badara, and Talmoria. And the Caliphate only lasted for a week or two. :P Likely the monarchy will be overthrown within a few days of him leaving. In which case he's no longer be the monarch of those nations. But if he miraculously managed to keep these monarchies going in each nation without having to delegate power to other parties, than he can still control the monarchies of those nations.

Have you considered the idea that maybe your monarchy would survive longer than a week if you set it up in ONE nation and remained in that ONE nation to look after it? I've never understood why people go through the effort of setting up something huge like a monarchy and then leave a week later for another nation to set up the exact same thing there, and just hope in the meantime that all their hard work at their previous nation will remain untouched and that all the remaining parties would be satisfied with some random who plays in an entirely seperate country RPing their ruler.

If someone sets up a monarchy and then leaves the nation without making any provisions for a replacement, the remaining players of that nation are free to do as they wish with his monarchy and his RP - he has no claim to it any longer. If he wants to create the same monarchy in a dozen nations and remain in charge of all of them, it is his responsibility to appoint someone for each nation to be the monarchy's representative. But that's just my opinion...
Particracy Game Moderator

Vanukese Conservatieven
Jay (LDP)

Postby Cold » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:43 pm

jmiz90 wrote:Have you considered the idea that maybe your monarchy would survive longer than a week if you set it up in ONE nation and remained in that ONE nation to look after it? I've never understood why people go through the effort of setting up something huge like a monarchy and then leave a week later for another nation to set up the exact same thing there, and just hope in the meantime that all their hard work at their previous nation will remain untouched and that all the remaining parties would be satisfied with some random who plays in an entirely separate country RPing their ruler.

If someone sets up a monarchy and then leaves the nation without making any provisions for a replacement, the remaining players of that nation are free to do as they wish with his monarchy and his RP - he has no claim to it any longer. If he wants to create the same monarchy in a dozen nations and remain in charge of all of them, it is his responsibility to appoint someone for each nation to be the monarchy's representative. But that's just my opinion...

If I am still roleplaying a character in Nation X, after having done the same in nation Y, and the parties of Nation Y decide to kill my character, I have no say on whether my character dies or not? The parties of Nation Y can utterly destroy my monarchy, remove every hint of it from their nation. But that does not change the fact that I'm still roleplaying my character. The character is still a part of both nations, but he is controlled by me. If I don't have someone taking care of the monarchy in the other nation, it's obviously not going to last long, and I can't do anything to keep him in power aside from returning to Nation Y. But I am still part of that roleplay, as he is still a character I am actively using wherever I am.
Cold

Postby Khaler » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:48 pm

I think it breaks the rules. You can't have active in-game characters in two nations without a consent from players in Nation Y. Active in-game character has to have "caretaker" or whatever in every nation he is active, or you are breaking the multi rules. However that is just my view.
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Postby GreekIdiot » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:55 pm

Obviously consent assumed in the nation the character is considered to be active in without the owner player residing presently there is of higher value. You may deny claims that the folks there killed your character, but within roleplaying limits and with regards to rules, they have the right to claim his removal and whatever is closely associated with game mechanics. And in the end, most things are defined by mutual consent. And people should remember the fact that this is a game.

For example, I was in Kalopia and claimed to have Aristocrat Ltd. and that the company owned almost everything there. Nobody opposed. I left and although I was able to claim and still roleplay my characters and company I had no right to claim I own everything in Kalopia. You may claim the company owns commercial shipping and unless someone opposes that in your nation, then you are free to roleplay that as long as you notify the players involved naturally (as in being there in Kalopia) about actions concerning directly Kalopia itself and they respond without any problems, then why not.

Same goes for the character monarch assumed.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Darvian » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:57 pm

Khaler wrote:You can't have active in-game characters in two nations without a consent from players in Nation Y. Active in-game character has to have "caretaker" or whatever in every nation he is active, or you are breaking the multi rules. However that is just my view.

Quoted to back-up.
Darvian

Postby JuliaAJA » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:33 pm

My delegates in nations:
Talmoria (Malik Musa I): I gave control to Gesar.
Talmoria (Malikta Shula I): I gave limited control to the only party, but never recieved a response.
Beiteynu: As one of two Duarchs, I can keep control. The CZP has the other Duarch.
Kafuristan: The Sultan is only a pretender, as happens in the real world.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Amazeroth » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:21 pm

I don't see the problem with having active characters in other nations - the only thing you can really prevent is for him to die, because the RP rules say so. But if the other parties in the nation you're not in decide that they don't want your character as king anymore, they can just change the law - so the game mechanics take care of it. And, as the game mechanics force you to, you have to RP it, as a revolution for example.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:33 pm

No need to RP it, as in have to. You can't however deny that is was done according to game mechanics and game rules.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Previous

Return to Archive