Quarantine and Lodamun military

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Re: Quarantine and Lodamun military

Postby TWoodWil » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Mr.Yankees wrote:
George S.K wrote:The quarantine is indeed a controversial issue and therefore is not subjected to any particular book, other than the rules. Come on, you enforced quarantine on international waters, blocking several commercial routes and therefore infringing multiple charts and books. I can have Kalopia enforce quarantine all over Terra and have any moving vessel shot down and destroyed completely simply because it violated my constitutionally legal blockade of all the international waters boundary.

Secondly, I recognize the 10 aircraft carriers. No fuss about that. Lodamun can at least be given the opportunity to be proud of its own, powerful navy. Lodamun opposition has no OOC grudges about that particular issue.

Pass one the message where? And I don't intend to become leader of anything. I hate leadership. It means dealing with all the irrational ideas of the world. You intend to become a politician or something?

George, in real life, it would actually be legal but I'll step aside from there and let's allow the IC discussions on the legality to determine so, don't you think that is the best thing to do?

I am a politician George. A few players here know where I work at. Of course, I won't reveal it in public as it isn't of any interest to all of you guys. And no, it's not the CIA or the NSA or the FBI. I hate most of those bastards, especially the NSA.

Quarantines' legality in real life is questionable at best, they are almost always used as a legal fiction to justify a de facto blockade. The real question at the heart of the issue before us, though, is not the quarantine itself by the extent. Within the 500 kilometers granted by the Law of the Sea Treaty to nations to enforce transitory authority the quarantine, though still ill-advised and poorly thought out, can be argued to be legal. Outside of that, there is no basis and ground from which to argue. The quarantine of Cuba during the missile crisis was accepted as legal because it was narrowly defined and enforced, the US did not seek to intercept, search, and board vessels in the middle of the Atlantic.
Liberaldemokratische Allianz
Imperial Crownlands of Greater Hulstria
TWoodWil

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Mr.Yankees wrote:
Emunim wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you claiming to have 400,000 Tanks?

Could you be more specific? Where exactly did you see such number? That seems to be a very large number.

Oh, good God, I see it now. That is definitely a typo. It should read 40,000 on the Abraham tanks. That's what happens when you copy and paste. That is definitely a mistake. The first three should have one zero taken away from them.

And again, remember that they get dismantled before the last bunch is made. That's why the contracts are so long.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby TWoodWil » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Mr.Yankees wrote:Oh, good God, I see it now. That is definitely a typo. It should read 40,000 on the Abraham tanks. That's what happens when you copy and paste. That is definitely a mistake. The first three should have one zero taken away from them.

And again, remember that they get dismantled before the last bunch is made. That's why the contracts are so long.

Since 1979 only 9000 Abrams have been built. 9000 in 30 years against 40,000 in 45, and the 9000-figure includes not just those made for the US but exported to foreign nations.

Something's rotten in the state of Lodamun.
Liberaldemokratische Allianz
Imperial Crownlands of Greater Hulstria
TWoodWil

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:50 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
Mr.Yankees wrote:
George S.K wrote:The quarantine is indeed a controversial issue and therefore is not subjected to any particular book, other than the rules. Come on, you enforced quarantine on international waters, blocking several commercial routes and therefore infringing multiple charts and books. I can have Kalopia enforce quarantine all over Terra and have any moving vessel shot down and destroyed completely simply because it violated my constitutionally legal blockade of all the international waters boundary.

Secondly, I recognize the 10 aircraft carriers. No fuss about that. Lodamun can at least be given the opportunity to be proud of its own, powerful navy. Lodamun opposition has no OOC grudges about that particular issue.

Pass one the message where? And I don't intend to become leader of anything. I hate leadership. It means dealing with all the irrational ideas of the world. You intend to become a politician or something?

George, in real life, it would actually be legal but I'll step aside from there and let's allow the IC discussions on the legality to determine so, don't you think that is the best thing to do?

I am a politician George. A few players here know where I work at. Of course, I won't reveal it in public as it isn't of any interest to all of you guys. And no, it's not the CIA or the NSA or the FBI. I hate most of those bastards, especially the NSA.

Quarantines' legality in real life is questionable at best, they are almost always used as a legal fiction to justify a de facto blockade. The real question at the heart of the issue before us, though, is not the quarantine itself by the extent. Within the 500 kilometers granted by the Law of the Sea Treaty to nations to enforce transitory authority the quarantine, though still ill-advised and poorly thought out, can be argued to be legal. Outside of that, there is no basis and ground from which to argue. The quarantine of Cuba during the missile crisis was accepted as legal because it was narrowly defined and enforced, the US did not seek to intercept, search, and board vessels in the middle of the Atlantic.

I can see your point of the extent of the zone. However, the United States did give orders to intercept any ships trying to run the quarantine zone. I admit that mine is different, that's why I didn't use the Cuban Missile Crisis as an example. However, mine also has a difference from that one. I am allowing ships to go through, which is not something a blockade does.

International laws has never defined military quarantines or any other specific quarantines. However, it does allows quarantines should countries decide it is necessary. Of course, this applies mostly in the case of epidemics and such but it still can be argued that it applies for a military quarantine.

Also, my "operation" does qualify under the term quarantine as it only looks for offensive weapons, in this case terrorists, which could be argued are weapons themselves.

So, I hope you see my point as I see yours. We should go on in IC to make it official. The argument for both sides is getting interesting.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:54 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
Mr.Yankees wrote:Oh, good God, I see it now. That is definitely a typo. It should read 40,000 on the Abraham tanks. That's what happens when you copy and paste. That is definitely a mistake. The first three should have one zero taken away from them.

Since 1979 only 9000 Abrams have been built. 9000 in 30 years against 40,000 in 45, and the 9000-figure includes not just those made for the US but exported to foreign nations.

You have a point there. I did not know about such figure you have presented. I agree that, if your numbers are correct, the amount I presented is erroneous and unreal. I tried to make all of the numbers as realistic as possible, especially the Navy. As you can see, I only have 10 aircrafts (8 active, 2 in reserves just in case and they are the oldest ones), which is less than the US. I tried to make everything less than the US's numbers.

If you find any other number that appears wrong or unreal, point it out to me. I want to know so I don't make mistakes or go too unrealistic should I ever RP a war.

And don't get funny and say everything is unreal. Yes, I saw that one coming.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:27 pm

By the way, Opakidabar, thank you for taking the time to post in the other thread and creating this one. I truly appreciate it.
Mr.Yankees

Postby AngryMollusc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Mr.Yankees wrote:
TWoodWil wrote:

You have a point there. I did not know about such figure you have presented. I agree that, if your numbers are correct, the amount I presented is erroneous and unreal. I tried to make all of the numbers as realistic as possible, especially the Navy. As you can see, I only have 10 aircrafts (8 active, 2 in reserves just in case and they are the oldest ones), which is less than the US. I tried to make everything less than the US's numbers.

If you find any other number that appears wrong or unreal, point it out to me. I want to know so I don't make mistakes or go too unrealistic should I ever RP a war.

And don't get funny and say everything is unreal. Yes, I saw that one coming.

It's good to see people taking such an approach, but less than the US is probably a fairly unrealistic guideline to begin with, in a world with fifty nations who all claim to be the planet's dominant power. I'd suggest France as a slightly more reasonable alternative.
AngryMollusc

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:07 pm

It's good to see people taking such an approach, but less than the US is probably a fairly unrealistic guideline to begin with, in a world with fifty nations who all claim to be the planet's dominant power. I'd suggest France as a slightly more reasonable alternative.

That could be an alternative but you said it yourself, everyone claims to be the most dominant power or one of the most (and I include myself in that one). If there was a system to properly determine who had what how powerful your country was, that would be great but as of now, there isn't and we have to endure this kind of discussions. Don't get me wrong, they are good discussions to have in order to enhance future role playing but at the end, we will all keep claiming to have lots of power, some more than others.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Darvian » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:42 pm

I'd say it's also worth noting that it's my understanding that Terra proper is 4x the size of Earth, I know I read that somewhere as official though I subject myself to fact checking. On top of that, it's the year 27XX which due to the inability for any of us to imagine with any real insight as to the technological achievements we'll as a people made by that year (assuming we're even still around) that whole '10 year advancement' rule has been the guiding principal when it comes to building/maintaining armies. I.e. a simple measure in place to keep idiots from claiming mechs and lightsabers. No doubt in what I've already said I'll get people screaming at me but, feel free-I don't expect to be reading those comments. I'm not justifying anyone with this post, merely pointing out that there is some in here trying to do real-world equals when I thought it was long ago put to rest that while that's a good guiding principal it doesn't work given the facts I've outlined about the game itself. For the people who have a problem with huge powerful militaries and so on, why aren't you screaming at X, Y and Z corporations popping up overnight with (some of them) having catalogs pre-made of every weapon you could want? Seriously people....The double-standard here is silly. My reference to the corporations might have some of you going, well that doesn't make any sense. Well it does given if I wanted to play this game like some do, I could make-up a company and say it had 20 million F-32's and say I bought them all. It's entirely unrealistic but, it's going on as I type all over the place and no one really seems to care...except in this thread oddly enough.
Darvian

Postby jethro » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 am

Darvian wrote:I'd say it's also worth noting that it's my understanding that Terra proper is 4x the size of Earth, I know I read that somewhere as official though I subject myself to fact checking. On top of that, it's the year 27XX which due to the inability for any of us to imagine with any real insight as to the technological achievements we'll as a people made by that year (assuming we're even still around) that whole '10 year advancement' rule has been the guiding principal when it comes to building/maintaining armies. I.e. a simple measure in place to keep idiots from claiming mechs and lightsabers. No doubt in what I've already said I'll get people screaming at me but, feel free-I don't expect to be reading those comments. I'm not justifying anyone with this post, merely pointing out that there is some in here trying to do real-world equals when I thought it was long ago put to rest that while that's a good guiding principal it doesn't work given the facts I've outlined about the game itself. For the people who have a problem with huge powerful militaries and so on, why aren't you screaming at X, Y and Z corporations popping up overnight with (some of them) having catalogs pre-made of every weapon you could want? Seriously people....The double-standard here is silly. My reference to the corporations might have some of you going, well that doesn't make any sense. Well it does given if I wanted to play this game like some do, I could make-up a company and say it had 20 million F-32's and say I bought them all. It's entirely unrealistic but, it's going on as I type all over the place and no one really seems to care...except in this thread oddly enough.

The difference is I don't think anyone takes those corporations (I presume you're referring to Klink) seriously. These are the hideously inflated numbers given by a nation that is now imposing them directly by international action on the international world. I personally don't care enough to excoriate Jess for the absurdity of Klink Industries because it is entirely irrelevant, Lodamun starting a blockade with half the RL world's tanks and aircraft carriers is very relevant. As I've said, very Iori moment here, another ruling party in a nation that has completely lost its sense of perspective and its real sense of genuine power that is claiming to be Terra's version of the US. Does nobody else find fun in RPing a backwater, broken-down nation?

A good rule of thumb for good RP: Don't pretend to be the US
jethro

PreviousNext

Return to Archive