Swearing

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Re: Swearing

Postby jethro » Sat May 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Why this is even a discussion astounds me. It seems as though an overwhelming majority of players have no problem with it at all, there is just a tiny moralistic minority that perpetually takes issue with it and thinks that somehow swearing is related to the quality of speech. The fact that the people claiming this typically have a limited faculty of the English language, or occasionally fall on the complete opposite side and believe that long, turgid, droning ramblings of aged politicos doing nothing of substance qualifies as innovative forum activity, is particularly ironic. I think it is demonstrative that the people on this forum most accustomed to swearing casually and most frequently: Myself, Dynastia, Molotov (particularly when sufficiently inebriated, though the same rule applies to me) and George SK are the examples that leap immediately, are also (if I might allow myself a little vanity) among the most intelligent and articulate members of the Particracy community. Granted, Dynastia frequently goes on exceptionally racist and hateful rants that blur whatever line we draw in Particracy, but he intersperses it with posts that are clearly of a quite articulate mind and many of his rants I feel deserve to be properly archived. Swearing usually is simply a tool to add emphasis or express discontent. I personally am rather proud of my ability to espouse my occasionally convoluted thoughts with such precision and apposite verbiage. If you write, "That post made me feel very bad and I think you should apologize," then you're a goddamn fag. You write, "You can go get fucked you pathetic ass-whore," then you have properly expressed your anger in a fashion that will not draw you ridicule.

Now, of course, there are instances when swearing can be used to cross lines in insulting players, but it is not specific to swearing. It would be wholly inappropriate for me to say something such as, "Mr. Yankees is a pathetic little American freak who should crawl back to his dungeon and play with himself and stop telling us all about how big is 'aircraft carrier' is," now that would be an unacceptable insult that would rightly result in a forum warning, but no swearing was required. Obviously, swearing would not be countenanced in the case of personal attacks, because personal attacks can be very damaging and can lead to people saying such unacceptable things as, "Mr. Yankees is a prudish autofucking snot who is too goddamn mentally-fucked to imagine any names beyond Kynes and would do us all a favor if chose to stick what's left of his rather pathetic manhood in the nearest electrical socket," that would rightfully be a serious crime and I can say quite honestly I would have stern words to say to anyone who would say such cruel things to another human being. Particracy is a game that cannot function if people say such vile things as, "Mr. Yankees is an absolute fucking disgrace to this game, his sad nation and to the entire human race, he is a buttfucked virgin-at-30 liberal simp who brings too closely to mind all those dickless politicians who deserve nothing more than to have their throats ripped out with rusty knives," because not only is that a clear example of an ad hominem attack, it is verging into the realm of physical violence. These are the sorts of things we must stop and cannot allow to be said on this forum, however true they might happen to be. All examples of personal attacks used in my posts are meant for rhetorical purposes only, any resemblance to actual players, characteristics, RP characters or events is purely coincidental.
jethro

Postby Molotov » Sun May 03, 2009 2:17 pm

:lol:
Molotov

Postby Dynastia » Tue May 12, 2009 6:31 am

jethro's a poopy bottom-sniffer.
Dynastia

Postby JosephJ » Wed May 13, 2009 8:13 pm

On the subject of swearing, you may be interested to know that I have had four separate people essentially moan at me today for it.

They all objected to the fact I sent a letter where I say quite simply that many bloggers think of an ultra-right-wing blogger and his commenters as "utter cunts".

It's in the latest Eye, if you're British and want to see.
I WAS A MODERATOR
I WAS NOT VERY GOOD
JosephJ

Postby Molotov » Tue May 19, 2009 1:32 am

I do, I'll buy it tomorrow if they've got it in. They haven't had it for months though, I'll probably have to go all the way to the dreaded WH Smith's. It's worse than Mordor in there, I hate the place, like a bloody factory. In one door, buy a book/magazine, quick-as-you-can-please there's a queue, out the other.

The c-word is horrible Joseph. I prefer 'lady-lips'.
Molotov

Postby PeterXenon » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:16 pm

Chris Jodyn, Party Leader of the Communitarian Union

Aurea Mediocritas
PeterXenon

Postby GreekIdiot » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:27 pm

Thank you. It has been reported.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Barnwood » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:50 am

Hypocritical, Molotov? I think that's an understatement. You complaining about swearing is like Athel running into the NAACP HQ shouting 'LOL NIGGERS!'

If this is still being thought about, I'm against a swearing ban.
Barnwood

Postby AdJeCtIv3 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Jesus Christ PLEASE let this topic die.
I AM NOT A Image ANY MORE!!
AdJeCtIv3

Postby IdioC » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:40 am

Mr.Yankees wrote:...it's not about decency, it's about respect.

I'm sorry for bumping but this line - whilst the original is "dignity" - reminded me of the Canadian Ambassador in the South Park Movie.

I'll let the fucking thread die now.
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Previous

Return to Archive