Swearing

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Re: Swearing

Postby AdJeCtIv3 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:48 am

JosephJ wrote:I should make it very clear that moderation are not going to bar players from swearing.

Seconded.

I draw the line with it when it becomes a part of abuse directed at another player.. then it's abuse.

Moderation has had a long history of being quite permissive in this regard, and I see no reason to change it now. It's not like we are six year olds playing this game, and I don't see the privilege being abused systematically.

Maybe a warning on the forum when people sign up might be an option.
I AM NOT A Image ANY MORE!!
AdJeCtIv3

Postby Molotov » Fri May 01, 2009 11:36 pm

I shan't harp on, I'll say this and then I'll be done.

How well has your policy so far, served you? If I'm honest, I think moderation here has been a complete joke. IdioC did a reasonable job, so far as I can recall. He took things seriously, anyway.

Moderation has had a long history

So what?

of being quite permissive in this regard

Has this been a good thing, generally? Has it attracted more players to the game?

It's not like we are six year olds playing this game,

Not physically.

and I don't see the privilege being abused systematically.

Not really the point. I don't think it makes Particracy look appealing, and people might judge a game its players, when certain rather nasty words (George) are used in threads directly pertaining to the game. We aren't children, quite right, that being the case we ought to require players to be mature. No swearing outside of the Off-Topic board. Let's take golf as our exemplar, better yet, snooker.
Molotov

Postby JosephJ » Sat May 02, 2009 12:19 am

Molotov wrote:How well has your policy so far, served you? If I'm honest, I think moderation here has been a complete joke. IdioC did a reasonable job, so far as I can recall. He took things seriously, anyway.

Honestly? I think our policies have served us quite well. We've tended to take a reactive, rather than proactive stance, but that's not exactly been a bad thing - I feel there is something of an understanding hence between the playerbase and the moderator team along the lines of 'playerbase, don't do anything extremely stupid. 'k?'. This doesn't work so well at times in-game, but in terms of the OOC boards particularly, it seems to work - sure, debates get heated and forthright, but I'd rather have them heated and forthright than damp and flaccid.

IdioC's moderation was essentially stopping people descending into flurries ad-hominem attacks. We haven't exactly abandoned that policy now.

Molotov wrote:

Has this been a good thing, generally? Has it attracted more players to the game?

Who can say, really? I think it's probably attracted more people to the forums, though.

Molotov wrote:

Not really the point. I don't think it makes Particracy look appealing, and people might judge a game its players, when certain rather nasty words (George) are used in threads directly pertaining to the game. We aren't children, quite right, that being the case we ought to require players to be mature. No swearing outside of the Off-Topic board. Let's take golf as our exemplar, better yet, snooker.

If a player can't look past the fact there are a few swear words in the post towards the content of the post, then there is something severely wrong there, and honestly, I don't want to encourage such Sancta-like types to join the game. George using 'fuck' a fair bit isn't going to scare anyone in their right minds off, frankly.

Also, I'd rather have to dispute this link you're making between swearing and maturity. People swear. They do it quietly as kids, they do it with friends as teens, and they do it everywhere where they're not wearing a white collar as adults. Swearing isn't a big deal in the slightest; it's just essentially a way to punctuate speech, or to add emphasis, etc. I hardly think that the fact people are swearing a fair bit makes them less mature.
I WAS A MODERATOR
I WAS NOT VERY GOOD
JosephJ

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sat May 02, 2009 1:36 am

JosephJ wrote:
Molotov wrote:How well has your policy so far, served you? If I'm honest, I think moderation here has been a complete joke. IdioC did a reasonable job, so far as I can recall. He took things seriously, anyway.

Honestly? I think our policies have served us quite well. We've tended to take a reactive, rather than proactive stance, but that's not exactly been a bad thing - I feel there is something of an understanding hence between the playerbase and the moderator team along the lines of 'playerbase, don't do anything extremely stupid. 'k?'. This doesn't work so well at times in-game, but in terms of the OOC boards particularly, it seems to work - sure, debates get heated and forthright, but I'd rather have them heated and forthright than damp and flaccid.

IdioC's moderation was essentially stopping people descending into flurries ad-hominem attacks. We haven't exactly abandoned that policy now.

Molotov wrote:

Who can say, really? I think it's probably attracted more people to the forums, though.

Molotov wrote:

If a player can't look past the fact there are a few swear words in the post towards the content of the post, then there is something severely wrong there, and honestly, I don't want to encourage such Sancta-like types to join the game. George using 'fuck' a fair bit isn't going to scare anyone in their right minds off, frankly.

Also, I'd rather have to dispute this link you're making between swearing and maturity. People swear. They do it quietly as kids, they do it with friends as teens, and they do it everywhere where they're not wearing a white collar as adults. Swearing isn't a big deal in the slightest; it's just essentially a way to punctuate speech, or to add emphasis, etc. I hardly think that the fact people are swearing a fair bit makes them less mature.

There is a correlation between swearing and maturity and educational level. To be honest, we have all said a couple of those words in certain occasions. The problem that those, like myself, who have spoken against it is not the fact that it is used, it's the fact that it is overused.

I don't think anyone here can deny that swearing is a problem in Particracy. I can assure you that game experience will be better without the overuse of curse words. It has actually been proving scientifically that the use of proper language improves discourse tremendously.

I am not going to voice my opinion about the moderation team as I don't see it as appropriate for this thread.

I think that all the players here can properly role play without swearing. I guess that's my hypothesis.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby AdJeCtIv3 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:08 am

Mr.Yankees wrote:I don't think anyone here can deny that swearing is a problem in Particracy.

I deny we have a problem with the swearing here, and I'll wager I'm not alone.

Also I don't think I have had a single complaint about swearing PER SE (maybe as part of OOC outbursts, but that isn't what we are talking about here).

Since the forum has moved I would suggest the amount of swearing has actually declined. In any case it's not getting worse, if by worse you mean more frequent.

EDIT: I have started a poll on this issue: http://forum.particracy.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=196
I AM NOT A Image ANY MORE!!
AdJeCtIv3

Postby JosephJ » Sat May 02, 2009 7:39 am

Mr.Yankees wrote:There is a correlation between swearing and maturity and educational level. To be honest, we have all said a couple of those words in certain occasions. The problem that those, like myself, who have spoken against it is not the fact that it is used, it's the fact that it is overused.

Quite honestly, I think the amount of swearing is being somewhat overexaggerated. Search fuck* or shit on the forum search system. The words aren't actually used that much, and where they're used, it's rarely excessive.

Mr.Yankees wrote:I don't think anyone here can deny that swearing is a problem in Particracy. I can assure you that game experience will be better without the overuse of curse words. It has actually been proving scientifically that the use of proper language improves discourse tremendously.

We're not banning swearing just because unnamed scientific experiments came to the conclusion that it improved discourse, particularly given there are so many problems with making such an assertion.

Mr.Yankees wrote:I think that all the players here can properly role play without swearing. I guess that's my hypothesis.

They do. Swearing isn't used in RP.
I WAS A MODERATOR
I WAS NOT VERY GOOD
JosephJ

Postby Molotov » Sat May 02, 2009 9:43 am

By the way, just to clarify (so you don't think I was being a tosser - oops, swore): I didn't mean the moderators have been a joke, I meant moderation policy here has been a joke, and that IdioC (drawing up Pax Cynica and so on) tried to sort it out.
Molotov

Postby AngryMollusc » Sat May 02, 2009 1:16 pm

JosephJ wrote:
Mr.Yankees wrote:I think that all the players here can properly role play without swearing. I guess that's my hypothesis.

They do. Swearing isn't used in RP.

Well it is on occasion, but generally only in appropriate circumstances.

I don't think anyone here can deny that swearing is a problem in Particracy.

Are you joking? Please tell me you're joking...
AngryMollusc

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat May 02, 2009 3:14 pm

JosephJ wrote:They do. Swearing isn't used in RP.

Yup. True alright. I swear, and I am obviously the main problem here, but I keep everything inside OOC boundaries.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Molotov » Sat May 02, 2009 10:19 pm

George S.K wrote:
JosephJ wrote:They do. Swearing isn't used in RP.

Yup. True alright. I swear, and I am obviously the main problem here, but I keep everything inside OOC boundaries.

Oh you're not! I'm sorry George I didn't mean to pick on you, it just happened to be one of your posts that I noticed.
Molotov

PreviousNext

Return to Archive