Swearing

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Swearing

Postby Molotov » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:41 pm

I know this might sound hypocritical coming from me, but could we possibly have a prohibition on strong swearing, at least in the boards other than Off-Topic. Children play this game and whatever our views on censorship and whatnot I don't want to get people into trouble because, for example, their parents see a host of f- and c- words in an otherwise innocent post they made asking how to play the game.

It might also put some people off. Also, George, you seem to be swearing an awful lot recently. You don't have to maintain your nasty reputation, you know.
Molotov

Re: Swearing

Postby Opakidabar » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Agreed, I can live without fuck. I mean without fuck as the word.
Opakidabar

Postby JosephJ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:08 pm

I'm honestly going to have to say that I don't agree with such action, simply because it's rather restrictive and more to the point is out of line with the whole atmosphere of the forum. Not to mention, the sort of parents that would get their knickers in a twist over a couple of swear words are the type that aren't going to be happy with their children playing the game or using the forums at all anyway.

I think it might be a good idea to institute a 'swearing filter'; that being, an optional component that when turned on replaces all words on a certain list with something else, and have that turned on for new and guest accounts by default (at which point the user can turn it off).
I WAS A MODERATOR
I WAS NOT VERY GOOD
JosephJ

Postby Mr.Yankees » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:50 pm

Molotov wrote:I know this might sound hypocritical coming from me, but could we possibly have a prohibition on strong swearing, at least in the boards other than Off-Topic. Children play this game and whatever our views on censorship and whatnot I don't want to get people into trouble because, for example, their parents see a host of f- and c- words in an otherwise innocent post they made asking how to play the game.

It might also put some people off. Also, George, you seem to be swearing an awful lot recently. You don't have to maintain your nasty reputation, you know.

I agree but not necessarily for the reasons you mentioned. Not using such kind of words it's not about decency, it's about respect. I have noticed that many players here use curse words every couple of sentences. If we do not show respect for each other, we won't get anywhere. I admit, sometimes things get a bit heated in this game and it's normal but there is no need to use curse words to argue your point. That's a beautiful characteristic of the English language, there are so many words you can use in many instances that there is no need to use the f- word and the like.

It simply comes down to respect for one another. Decency varies from person to person and we cannot expect everyone to be one way or the other but we all know what respect is whether we like to apply it or not.

I think filtering it will do no good. If your intention is to use such kind of words, you will find a way to express it. The mere intention of use is enough. I do think we need some sort of "rule" or more of an agreement to reduce the frequent use of curse words.

I am pretty sure that even the young adults playing this game know how to properly communicate without the need to use curse words. It is not that difficult to do people.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby JosephJ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:57 pm

I should make it very clear that moderation are not going to bar players from swearing.
I WAS A MODERATOR
I WAS NOT VERY GOOD
JosephJ

Postby GreekIdiot » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Mr.Yankees wrote:
Molotov wrote:I know this might sound hypocritical coming from me, but could we possibly have a prohibition on strong swearing, at least in the boards other than Off-Topic. Children play this game and whatever our views on censorship and whatnot I don't want to get people into trouble because, for example, their parents see a host of f- and c- words in an otherwise innocent post they made asking how to play the game.

That's a beautiful characteristic of the English language, there are so many words you can use in many instances that there is no need to use the f- word and the like.

I am utterly surprised. You people think I'm nasty? I always thought it was just a joke.

Yankees, we are a babbling bumbling band of baboons, sir. Not all of us are capable of mastering the exquisite delicacy of an acceptable and rather remarkable linguistic level such as the one you are definitely able to use and are indeed using in all the infuriating discussions that take place in the roleplaying part of this forum, which I truly hate.

Seriously, the English language may be beautiful and of course as commonly defined 'nasty behavior' should not be encouraged at all. But mainly, firstly and most importantly, the use of profanities only becomes a matter when you complain about it. I see no harm in all those bad-profiled words. They simply emit a stronger emotion than regular words of the English vocabulary. I am certainly not aware of more complex words, as I am not particularly loquacious when it comes to the English language.

The fact is, profanities are only labeled as such simply because we give a bad meaning to them. And I honestly couldn't care less of what other people think.

I'm honestly going to have to say that I don't agree with such action, simply because it's rather restrictive and more to the point is out of line with the whole atmosphere of the forum. Not to mention, the sort of parents that would get their knickers in a twist over a couple of swear words are the type that aren't going to be happy with their children playing the game or using the forums at all anyway.

This also sums up my views.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Mr.Yankees » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:50 pm

George S.K wrote:
Mr.Yankees wrote:

That's a beautiful characteristic of the English language, there are so many words you can use in many instances that there is no need to use the f- word and the like.

I am utterly surprised. You people think I'm nasty? I always thought it was just a joke.

Yankees, we are a babbling bumbling band of baboons, sir. Not all of us are capable of mastering the exquisite delicacy of an acceptable and rather remarkable linguistic level such as the one you are definitely able to use and are indeed using in all the infuriating discussions that take place in the roleplaying part of this forum, which I truly hate.

Seriously, the English language may be beautiful and of course as commonly defined 'nasty behavior' should not be encouraged at all. But mainly, firstly and most importantly, the use of profanities only becomes a matter when you complain about it. I see no harm in all those bad-profiled words. They simply emit a stronger emotion than regular words of the English vocabulary. I am certainly not aware of more complex words, as I am not particularly loquacious when it comes to the English language.

The fact is, profanities are only labeled as such simply because we give a bad meaning to them. And I honestly couldn't care less of what other people think.

This also sums up my views.

You see George, you can use proper language when you want to.

Yes, curse words do help to indicate some sort of feeling or emotion but there are plenty of other officially sanctioned words (those who actually appear in the dictionary) that can be used to express those emotions and they will do as good of a job or even better than curse words.

Discourse without profanity is fruitful and has positive results for all of us. While some of you may be at a disadvantage and are not able to master the English language as efficiently as a native speaker, I am certain that you can express your feelings and emotions in a rather particular way that we can all learn to understand and accept.

By the way, I don't think you are nasty. I pretty much don't care about other people. And while I do admire that you don't care about what other people think, I don't think you truly don't. It is human nature to care about your appearance, what others perceive of you. Why do you dress everyday, why do you comb your hair, why do you look in the mirror, why do you use cologne, why do you take showers, etc.? My point is: if you truly didn't care, you wouldn't say so. Those questions I just wrote are rhetorical; don't feel the need to answer them.

Anyways, no one here has the right to mandate that you speak a certain way. It is up to you to decide what language is most appropriate for the situation. Personally, I would like to see less swearing and more well-thought out statement but that's just a dream though. It is said about dreams that when we are dreaming alone it is only a dream but when we are dreaming with others, it is the beginning of reality.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Molotov » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:57 am

If I'm honest, the only swearing I don't like is unnecessary swearing.

Regardless, Joseph, it's probably a good idea. Especially since we've now got a new forum and can start afresh. The 'atmosphere of the forum' is immaterial, as are restrictions on the forum's participants' behaviour. The most important thing is the game and how it is received.

Not to mention, the sort of parents that would get their knickers in a twist over a couple of swear words are the type that aren't going to be happy with their children playing the game or using the forums at all anyway.

This is also immaterial. Whatever you think of certain kinds of people, and what they might get their knickers in a twist over, bears no relation to the fact that swearing is generally accepted as not something children should be exposed to. This isn't one of those stupid *chans, after all, it's a forum for a game.

I think it is probably a good idea for the forum to start making itself more professional. I wouldn't be averse to a prohibition on swearing (IC/OOC) and crass behaviour (OOC) in the game, either.

edit: I don't think you're nasty either, George. Why I made this thread, though, is because I noticed you reply to a thread in Game Moderation in which you referred to certain people as the-word-beginning-with-c that means lady lips. I don't particularly like the word anyway, but I also don't think it ought to be used in a thread for the moderation of a game.

edit2: I think we should ask Wouter about this.
Molotov

Postby GreekIdiot » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:53 am

I honestly don't remember what you are talking about...

Anyway, I still am against the whole idea. Let it be, I say, because all of this is part of particracy.

Mr.Yankees wrote:It is said about dreams that when we are dreaming alone it is only a dream but when we are dreaming with others, it is the beginning of reality.

Gosh, that's utterly American...
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:31 am

I agree with Yankees, however I must admit that while I understand alot of my native language, I am not great at the art of writing.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Next

Return to Archive