Requests: Real-Life or Inappropriate Variables [M]

Submit your requests on various areas of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Inappropriate Real-Life/Ridiculous/Offensive Variables

Postby jamescfm » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:39 pm

I am aware that it has been the case for some time at this point but I would argue that the city and region names in Istalia are far too close to their real-life equivalents and really undermine the spirit of the game. "Istalia" itself is obviously very similar to the real-life equivalent but I think it is too old and ingrained to change at this point. If possible I would like to encourage Moderation to work with the players in the country to adopt less obviously copied names though I appreciate that it is a tricky situation.
jamescfm

Postby ChitinKal » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:41 pm

jamescfm wrote:I am aware that it has been the case for some time at this point but I would argue that the city and region names in Istalia are far too close to their real-life equivalents and really undermine the spirit of the game. "Istalia" itself is obviously very similar to the real-life equivalent but I think it is too old and ingrained to change at this point. If possible I would like to encourage Moderation to work with the players in the country to adopt less obviously copied names though I appreciate that it is a tricky situation.

Vesica and I will discuss this
RP Controller of Liore
Fronto de Aŭgustana Vekiĝo (Zardugal) (Inactive) link
Mare Unitu (Keymon) (Inactive) link
Ár Náisiún (Kirlawa) (Inactive) link
National Conservative Party (Kalistan) (Inactive) link
ChitinKal

Postby Nuova Istalia (Pond) » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:16 am

I agree on the fact that Istalia seems too similar to Italy, but this is due to the fact that players usually forget that Istalia is a misture of Selucian and Majatran culture (equivalents are latin-italian culture + arabic culture). I suggest to make it a bilingual nation as it should be, introducing bilingual names for Regions and some cities. Idk how to do that, do you suggest to roleplay a "blingual bill" or just to do it to make Istalia more iStalian and less italian?
Sinistra Ecologista, Istalia (inactive)
APSU, Tukarali (inactive)
Ashita, Seko (active)
Nuova Istalia (Pond)

Postby colonelvesica » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:50 pm

Nuova Istalia (Pond) wrote:I agree on the fact that Istalia seems too similar to Italy, but this is due to the fact that players usually forget that Istalia is a misture of Selucian and Majatran culture (equivalents are latin-italian culture + arabic culture). I suggest to make it a bilingual nation as it should be, introducing bilingual names for Regions and some cities. Idk how to do that, do you suggest to roleplay a "blingual bill" or just to do it to make Istalia more iStalian and less italian?

Chitin and I are still in the midst of these discussion, but any suggestions you have, I would gladly hear them
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby jamescfm » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:19 pm

Nuova Istalia (Pond) wrote:I agree on the fact that Istalia seems too similar to Italy, but this is due to the fact that players usually forget that Istalia is a misture of Selucian and Majatran culture (equivalents are latin-italian culture + arabic culture). I suggest to make it a bilingual nation as it should be, introducing bilingual names for Regions and some cities. Idk how to do that, do you suggest to roleplay a "blingual bill" or just to do it to make Istalia more iStalian and less italian?

For the sake of clarification, the problem for me is not the Italian names because that is to be expected in a country based on Italy. The problem is that almost every single city is a slight variation of a real life major Italian city. Below are the Istalian cities that are most obviously just variations of real cities with some literally just adding another letter (Bari vs. Barri) or switching a pair of vowels (Milano vs. Milona).
Bari: Barri
Cagliari: Calliari
Firenze (Florence): Florenza
Genova: Genevia
Milano: Milona
Napoli: Nepoli
Palermo: Palerno
Roma: Romula
Sassari: Sasseri
Syracuse: Siracosa
Torino: Turrino
Trieste: Triesta
Venezia : Vinesia
Verona: Verunia

The subject of naming cities after real-life places necessarily involves a balance because there are only so many ways in which you can put letters together in a way that makes sense but this is far beyond the realm of credibility in my opinion and I believe the Istalian players should just bite the bullet and rename most of these places. Fantasy naming generator has a section that generates Italian city names if there was a problem coming up with names.
jamescfm

Postby Luis1p » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:10 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7223&p=172760#p172760

There are RL references to "Among Us" and "TikTok"
Luis1p

Postby ChitinKal » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:51 am

Luis1p wrote:http://forum.particracy.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7223&p=172760#p172760

There are RL references to "Among Us" and "TikTok"

Yeah clear cut it seems, I'll message the player
RP Controller of Liore
Fronto de Aŭgustana Vekiĝo (Zardugal) (Inactive) link
Mare Unitu (Keymon) (Inactive) link
Ár Náisiún (Kirlawa) (Inactive) link
National Conservative Party (Kalistan) (Inactive) link
ChitinKal

Postby Edmund » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:21 am

Edmund

Postby colonelvesica » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am

Edmund wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewparty.php?partyid=42354

"Master Jordeo Party"

Party inquestion was inactivated for non-activity, though I'll note had been messaged already.

http://classic.particracy.net/viewparty.php?partyid=42374

"Tarquin Soll"

Party messaged
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby jellybean » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:15 am

The Hulstria/Gao-Sato Head of State is titled a "Lutheran majesty."

http://classic.particracy.net/viewnatio ... ationid=54
jellybean

PreviousNext

Return to Requests