Cultural Protocol Violations

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Re: Cultural Protocol Violations

Postby LukasV » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:06 pm

The Cultural Protocols wrote: Moderation may intervene in order to ensure cultural integrity.

How about you guys uphold that in the protocols. Because clearly the integrity here has been tossed aside and out the window.

Edit: Why do I have a feeling things are going to get very interesting very quickly now?

Edit 2: Nevermind. I thought Wouter was going to intervene. *sigh of relief*
Get All That You Deserve In This World

Free Speech Fundamentalist
Classical Liberal/Libertarian
A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

"You believe you have dominion
So you force your lame opinions on me
And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby Farsun » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:41 pm

This is a damn shame and this ruling by moderation has entirely rendered the Cultural Protocols that we have called for useless. I apologize to Lukas in seeing his nation destroyed.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby LukasV » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:47 pm

Farsun wrote:This is a damn shame and this ruling by moderation has entirely rendered the Cultural Protocols that we have called for useless. I apologize to Lukas in seeing his nation destroyed.

Thank you Farsun. Your concern and sympathy is greatly appreciated. :)

A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby zlopado » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:52 am

I understand where you're coming from, and I sympathize to an extent, but I also think that you're overreacting. Moderation is not saying that you can't have a Polish-based culture, they're just saying that it's okay to have a Polish-based culture in the English language. RP-wise (e.g., on the Wiki), your culture is Polish. It would be a clear violation of Valruzia's culture if, instead of turning the Polish-based names into English, the Communist Party turned them into Arabic-based names. Although I feel that having Polish names augments the Polish culture and am opposed to Anglicizing the names, making things look English is not the same as supplanting the Polish culture and thus not a violation of the cultural protocols.

As an example, look at Hulstria. I only see a couple of German things on their nation page: the Staatsminister, and the names of parties and characters, which are not static. In English, they have the Imperial Diet, the anthem, the Governor-General, the nation title, and the Crownlands (regions). In other words, Hulstria is as linguistically English as Valruzia is. Is Hulstria devoid of non-English culture?

All this said, I highly disapprove of translating the names to English and, if I had been Moderator, probably would have requested that English names be placed in brackets before actually renaming everything.
House Forstev (Liberal Republican Party & People's Great Society of Hope) -- Beluzia
zlopado

Postby LukasV » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:35 am

zlopado wrote:if I had been Moderator, probably would have requested that English names be placed in brackets before actually renaming everything.

Like any sane person, that's what I expected to happen. Instead, all I got was "LOL nope, can't do shit, won't do shit, fuck you, done." Maybe I'm overreacting and taking it too harshly, but that's the reality of the situation, based on what has transpired.

You have to understand though, that unlike Hulstria, this guy changed everything to English. If he'd have any good idea for the national anthem, he'd probably change that too, but that didn't happen (though it's not too late). At least Hulstria retains its titles and such; Valruzia has almost nothing. That's the point I'm making.

Like I said earlier, the Wiki is an archiving tool; it's not very useful in terms of RP. That's why in-game titles, names, locations and such are very important to have preserved in order to actually retain the cultural value. The other parties won't role play the culture, are free to change what they see fit into English without any reference to it at all, and that is how the culture dies. And Moderation sanctions this sort of thing apparently, regardless of its so-called protocols.

A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:40 pm

Well, you could always look at Indrala.

None of the titles are in Chinese. Actually, nothing is in Chinese except for the party names.

Language is just a means of communication. It does not create the bedrock and foundation of a culture, although it is important. However, party names and character names are really the only things that matter.The key is to RP on the forums and on Particracy itself. Everyone knows Indrala is a Chinese-based nation even though no Chinese language is present on the nation page except the national anthem and the party names, of which Valruzia is similar.

What you should do is ask Moderation to enforce the CP by having the other parties in Valruzia adopt Polish party and character names.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby LukasV » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Liu Che/Zhuli wrote:What you should do is ask Moderation to enforce the CP by having the other parties in Valruzia adopt Polish party and character names.

They can't, and they won't regardless. Honestly, the Valruzia issue is resolved in of itself. I just want to get to the bottom of what sort of measures we can expect from cultural protocols.

The parties in my nation refuse to RP the culture. The culturally-associated language is being wiped away by people who don't want it. What is left of the culture, after these events have transpired? Do the cultural protocols become void automatically, should I choose to leave the country? That's what I want Moderation to answer. How will the culture be preserved if I leave? Because you can bet your ass that parties in Valruzia (specifically the CPV) will not be waiting the 500 game years for the nation to void its culture.

A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby Amazeroth » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:13 am

It seems to me that the moderation thinks, and I'm inclined to agree with them, that a nation's culture is not defined by its name, especially not if it's an English one, since English is not only the universal language of the game, but also, and because of this, a placeholder for all the other languages, real or made up. If my countrie's official language is German, and all bills have to be made in it (so decreed by a RP-law, for example), they can and will still be made in English, not as an act of defiance, but because in this case, it is imagined to be IC German, when it's actually OOC English - so that everyone is able to understand it.
The second thing is that there has always been a rule (I don't know if it's written anywhere, but for as long as I can remember, moderation acted by it) that it is okay to change a nation's name back to the one it had when the game started.
So, if moderation is correct and goes after the rules already in place, there is nothing they can "legally" do to help you. What they could do is contact the players and tell them about the cultural protocols and that they should try to respect the nation's culture when it comes to its names - even if you have already tried that, since it will probably have a bigger effect if it comes from moderation.

But what the cultural protocols still do is protect your nation's culture as far as RP is concerned, and that should go for people and party names too, since they aren't done via a bill, but can be changed at any time.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby LukasV » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:53 am

I don't think the issue here is language anymore. It's more of "what do the cultural protocols actually do to preserve a culture, and what are the obligations of Moderation in that respect?"

I'm trying to find out what in the blazes Moderation is responsible for when it comes to cultural preservation. If the cultural linguistics are removed, and if the cultural RP is not enforced, where is the culture supposed to thrive? Because right now, it's basically dealing with two parties that want to do away with any cultural connection in the nation altogether, and Moderation seems okay with it, regardless of the protocols.

A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby zlopado » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:07 am

I am obviously not a Moderator, but I believe this sort of bill is what the cultural protocols exist for:

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=338581
House Forstev (Liberal Republican Party & People's Great Society of Hope) -- Beluzia
zlopado

PreviousNext

Return to Archive