Non-Cabinet party altering the budget - bug?

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Non-Cabinet party altering the budget - bug?

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Um, I thought only the party controlling the Finance Minister could alter spending? Yet a party which doesn't is currently able to alter it:
http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=352884

And if this isn't a cabinet-specific ability, why is it listed under the cabinet powers page?
Fred

Re: Non-Cabinet party altering the budget - bug?

Postby Conallcernach » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:51 pm

I believe anyone can propose a budget. I was looking through legislation for a law setting for the minister of fiance, but that doesn't exist either.
Conallcernach

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:54 pm

This seems to me like a bug. It is, after all, listed as a cabinet action specific to the finance minister.
Fred

Postby Amazeroth » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:01 pm

It seems to me like a but too, but it has been this way since I began playing, so I don't think it's going to change anytime soon. Back in Hutori, we solved this by agreeing that all parties would always vote no on taxation/spending bills not coming from the minister's party.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby catparty » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:20 pm

The way we deal with this in the Feline Homeland is by assuming that if the Finance Minister supports the budget it gets implemented immediately, while if the Finance Minister opposes it then it takes a year to kick in.
Libertarian Alliance of Cats
Feline Homeland of Barmenia

Progressive Party
Realms of Luthori
catparty

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Given that the parties backing this budget want us to go to war while having no defence budget... I don't think convention and playing nice is going to go very far. If this is a bug it should be closed, and moderation should do something about its exploitation, if it's to be worth calling "moderation" at all.
Fred

Postby Valdštejn » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Fred wrote:Given that the parties backing this budget want us to go to war while having no defence budget... I don't think convention and playing nice is going to go very far. If this is a bug it should be closed, and moderation should do something about its exploitation, if it's to be worth calling "moderation" at all.

Sorry, but we don't have access to the game's code. This would be up to Wouter, and considering that he didn't do anything about it for the last five years or so, I don't think he will do something now. I'm sorry that we apparently don't live up to your expectations, but the fixing of bugs (other than those that can be dealt with by our normal "powers", like userless parties) is not in our hands.
Valdštejn

Return to Archive