The original and new names of nations

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

The original and new names of nations

Postby zlopado » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:09 am

Hello,

How long must a new name of a nation be in place before removing the old name?

For example, Koburo is currently called "Respubliko de Koburo (Cobura)." When may we drop "(Cobura)?"

Thank you!
House Forstev (Liberal Republican Party & People's Great Society of Hope) -- Beluzia
zlopado

Re: The original and new names of nations

Postby Urien » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Quite frankly, I have no clue. However, the old name would still remain, just the new name would be an acceptable alternative.
Urien

Postby Siggon Kristov » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Urien wrote:Quite frankly, I have no clue. However, the old name would still remain, just the new name would be an acceptable alternative.

What about the situations in New Endralon and Istalina?
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby meisme » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 pm

For Istalinia, Quanzar was the old name of the country LONG ago before they made it an Italian nation. So no real problem in dropping the title.

Same thing with New Endralon and Kizenia, I think. Don't quote me on this stuff. This has been years ago.
meisme

Location: Being taken to the gates of Valhalla, all shiny and chrome

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:46 pm

meisme wrote:For Istalinia, Quanzar was the old name of the country LONG ago before they made it an Italian nation. So no real problem in dropping the title.

Same thing with New Endralon and Kizenia, I think.

Exactly. Quanzar was the name, and it got changed to Istalina and eventually got recognised as Istalina: http://classic.particracy.net/rates.php

I'm not sure where the name "Kizenia" comes from.

Vorona should be able to have any name, since its currency has nothing to do with the name "Vorona"

--

I don't think we need to have the original name in brackets. Some nations may not go back.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Amazeroth » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:28 pm

Siggon Kristov wrote:Vorona should be able to have any name, since its currency has nothing to do with the name "Vorona"

Vorona was Deltaria Nova, so both names are accepted without the other one in brackets.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Amazeroth wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:Vorona should be able to have any name, since its currency has nothing to do with the name "Vorona"

Vorona was Deltaria Nova, so both names are accepted without the other one in brackets.

That is my point.
It's the same with:
- Quanzar &Istalina
- Kizenia & New Endralon

Renaming could be a little more flexible, and what is being asked in the thread is how long it would take for a nation to have a recognised name change without the need for including the original in brackets.
Siggon Kristov

Postby meisme » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:23 am

Siggon Kristov wrote:
Amazeroth wrote:

That is my point.
It's the same with:
- Quanzar &Istalina
- Kizenia & New Endralon

Renaming could be a little more flexible, and what is being asked in the thread is how long it would take for a nation to have a recognised name change without the need for including the original in brackets.

A couple centuries usually. Or at least that's what it looks like.
meisme

Location: Being taken to the gates of Valhalla, all shiny and chrome

Postby Amazeroth » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:36 am

Siggon Kristov wrote:
Amazeroth wrote:

That is my point.
It's the same with:
- Quanzar &Istalina
- Kizenia & New Endralon

Also Hutori and Athlorcaea, if I remember correctly.
But more to the point - all the countries that can have two different names without the other one in brackets, have had both names established (by long RP and history) before moderation began putting names in brackets, or at least at that time, which is the reason why for these nations, both names are acceptable. Since nothing of the sort has happened since moderation decided to do that, I don't think it's possible anymore for the brackets to go away.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:20 am

Amazeroth wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:
Amazeroth wrote:Vorona was Deltaria Nova, so both names are accepted without the other one in brackets.

That is my point.
It's the same with:
- Quanzar &Istalina
- Kizenia & New Endralon

Also Hutori and Athlorcaea, if I remember correctly.
I don't think it's possible anymore for the brackets to go away.

That sucks. If a name lasts long enough, it should be able to exclude its predecessor's bracketed appearance.
If no rule has been made for this, I suggest 50 in-game years minimum, and Moderation being given the power to veto a proposal if the name is stupid.
Siggon Kristov

Next

Return to Archive