New news event

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

New news event

Postby EEL123 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:32 pm

I just saw this
National tragedy ensues in the República Democrática de Tukarali as people mourn the death of Presidente de la República Democrática Captain Spear Raider. The late Presidente de la República Democrática of Tukarali was assassinated by an unknown frustrated psychopath. Shortly after stabbing the Presidente de la República Democrática, the suspect was killed by local law enforcement. Deputy Presidente de la República Democrática Victor Martin has assumed power, as prescribed by the Constitution of the República Democrática de Tukarali.
In world news (http://classic.particracy.net/viewnews. ... sid=365974). Now, I'm assuming that it's one if the game mechanism-generated events like terrorist attacks, school shootings, environmental disasters, job losses, sporting victories and corruption scandals. Now, the problem I see with this new type of news event is that it can kill off our characters without our consent. In other circumstances, people would come bitching to moderation, crying to the heavens "Godmod! Godmod! Save me!". So what makes moderation feel entitled to essentially indiscriminately breach a rule which they are in charge of enforcing, a rule not just of Particracy but the ''natural law', if you will, of all RP?
House of Razama
EEL123

Re: New news event

Postby catparty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 pm

This is not moderation's doing, but rather that of the game itself.
Libertarian Alliance of Cats
Feline Homeland of Barmenia

Progressive Party
Realms of Luthori
catparty

Postby EEL123 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:13 pm

catparty wrote:This is not moderation's doing, but rather that of the game itself.
I know that it was randomly generated by the game, but for it to be randomly generated, it must be coded into the game - which implies the complicity of the mods. Given that I haven't seen an assassination before in world news, I'm assuming that it's the current batch of mods that is culpable.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Zanz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:38 pm

EEL123 wrote:
catparty wrote:This is not moderation's doing, but rather that of the game itself.
I know that it was randomly generated by the game, but for it to be randomly generated, it must be coded into the game - which implies the complicity of the mods. Given that I haven't seen an assassination before in world news, I'm assuming that it's the current batch of mods that is culpable.

No, I'm sure I've seen it happen previously. Not just these mods.

And in any case, the mods have little, if anything, to do with the actual mechanics of the game. Coding is wouter's territory. Mods are restricted to activations, deactivations, multi-killing and law writings, as far as I know. They don't run these.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm

This happened to me before. It is somewhat inconvenient, but easy enough to fix. Just call new elections.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby EEL123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:16 am

Zanz wrote:No, I'm sure I've seen it happen previously. Not just these mods.

And in any case, the mods have little, if anything, to do with the actual mechanics of the game. Coding is wouter's territory. Mods are restricted to activations, deactivations, multi-killing and law writings, as far as I know. They don't run these.
How long was that ago? I haven't seen one since I arrived in 3323. 100 isn't very long compared to some of you, but given that the other news events appear once every couple of years, that it quite a long interval.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Valdštejn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 am

All these events are coded into the game, and have nothing to do with moderation. I can't say for sure how long the assassination one exists, but I've seen it emerging from time to time for the last four years at least.
Valdštejn

Postby EEL123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Valdštejn wrote:All these events are coded into the game, and have nothing to do with moderation. I can't say for sure how long the assassination one exists, but I've seen it emerging from time to time for the last four years at least.
Damnit. At least it doesn't happen much. But with the amount of stigma attached to godmodding, I find it inexplicable at best and hypocritical at worst (not necessarily on your part).
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Aquinas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:06 pm

I acknowledge Moderation has no control over these assassination events thrown up by the game engine, but I do see EEL's general point. Still, presumably players are free to ignore these generated events if they collectively agree to disregard them?
Aquinas

Postby EEL123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Aquinas wrote:I acknowledge Moderation has no control over these assassination events thrown up by the game engine, but I do see EEL's general point. Still, presumably players are free to ignore these generated events if they collectively agree to disregard them?
Yeah, but then "the system comes first", as people like to say. Enforced hypocrisy?
House of Razama
EEL123

Next

Return to Archive