Volunteer Assistance

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Re: Volunteer Assistance

Postby Rapax » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:46 pm

We've considered this in the past and I will again bring it up in the near future. We've already expanded the search for another moderator since the inclusion of myself. Do not fret, we will do whatever we can to help the game in the manner we see fit.
Rapax

Postby Siggon Kristov » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Rapax wrote:Do not fret, we will do whatever we can to help the game in the manner we see fit.

A moderator could have very well been added the same time that you (or Holdit) were.
Personal biases, of course, prevent you all from hiring a new mod from the willing persons who are available.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Farsun » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:32 pm

To call them lazy is one thing, to say they have a personal bias is wrong. Don't get me wrong the mods and I haven't had the most storied history in the game but I think they've done a decent job for being volunteer and having a multitude of personal issues going on. Hell, I've even butted heads with Rapax already and he's only been around for a little while. I like the whole idea of volunteer assistants but truth be told...it never works. I ran a RP forum for quite sometime and had a few "volunteer" moderators who came in got power and vanished, mainly because they wanted power. Giving the wider community that authority over a small group is a problem.

and maybe its not personal bias? Maybe you aren't as qualified as the other candidates.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Siggon Kristov » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Farsun wrote:To call them lazy is one thing, to say they have a personal bias is wrong. Don't get me wrong the mods and I haven't had the most storied history in the game but I think they've done a decent job for being volunteer and having a multitude of personal issues going on. Hell, I've even butted heads with Rapax already and he's only been around for a little while. I like the whole idea of volunteer assistants but truth be told...it never works. I ran a RP forum for quite sometime and had a few "volunteer" moderators who came in got power and vanished, mainly because they wanted power. Giving the wider community that authority over a small group is a problem.

and maybe its not personal bias? Maybe you aren't as qualified as the other candidates.

So even if I don't get it, why not the other candidates? And it's not about laziness... They only got a few applications. They said it themselves.
Qualified? What are the qualifications, really?
Are they doing that great of a job?
Great... 2 "qualified" moderators logging in once or twice per week. That doesn't work as great as someone actually dedicating time.

Farsun wrote:Hell, I've even butted heads with Rapax already and he's only been around for a little while.

I have a feeling that you are Rapax, and that that statement is just to cover your identity.

Farsun wrote:I ran a RP forum for quite sometime and had a few "volunteer" moderators who came in got power and vanished, mainly because they wanted power. Giving the wider community that authority over a small group is a problem.

The volunteer assistance idea, if you actually read it, is about having mods to do the routine work on the Particracy site, like reactivations, etc.
I'm not talking about RP situations. Your RP forum was an RP forum; this is a game.
Last edited by Siggon Kristov on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Farsun » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm sure they do but the interview process, especially for a game which has popularity is pretty tough because there is typically internal debate and arguments over the qualities and qualifications that the person has.
Farsun

Postby Siggon Kristov » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Farsun wrote:I'm sure they do but the interview process, especially for a game which has popularity is pretty tough because there is typically internal debate and arguments over the qualities and qualifications that the person has.

Personal biases. By the way, this sounds like you're a part of Moderation.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Farsun » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:45 pm

I guess you can call them that but in a wider sense it's typically what one person believes to be a better quality over another. For instance, you might have a keen mind for the economics of the game but I have experience operating and running a forum and staff. Vlad might agree that your quality is better than mine, but Rapax might disagree. "Bias" I don't really consider that one more a difference over opinions. The mods handle themselves typically professionally for volunteers who are constantly bombarded, I sympathize because I've been where they've been and it sucks. It's easy to say the people at the top suck because most do not understand the other problems they face.

EDIT: Nope, I turned it down after I was interviewed. I barely have enough time to sleep let alone partake in running the game. I've ran a Star Wars RP forum for 6 years, more or less the same type of people, situations and problems.
Farsun

Postby SelucianCrusader » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:49 pm

Sources claim that Farsun is in fact Rapax.

Whenever that is true or not, I think Aquinas is the one here who should be made a mod. He's a nice guy who always puts human dignity first.
SelucianCrusader

Postby EgeDoruk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:54 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:Sources claim that Farsun is in fact Rapax.

Whenever that is true or not, I think Aquinas is the one here who should be made a mod. He's a nice guy who always puts human dignity first.

Aquinas would be a great mod but he is too valuable for Dranland to leave, Aquinas don't leave us. :cry:
''I never dared to be radical when young
For fear it would make me conservative when old.''
Robert Frost

EgeDoruk

Postby Farsun » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:57 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:Sources claim that Farsun is in fact Rapax.

You should get new sources. :/ Sorry but no cigar buddy.
Farsun

PreviousNext

Return to Archive