Volunteer Assistance

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Re: Volunteer Assistance

Postby Siggon Kristov » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Valdštejn wrote:To clear things up - Mods don't need to stop playing the game. I'm not sure who told you that, but it's wrong.

I think Jack said that it's Wouter who told him that.

Valdštejn wrote:the problem with the idea of volunteer assistance is that in order to perform these functions, you have to have access to all the moderator functions.

I figured, but wouldn't you notice certain things, and can't you check, from which IP address (and from the login times of the forum accounts), who did what?

Valdštejn wrote:And, quite frankly, people whom I don't trust to be good full-time mods, I wouldn't trust with these either, because they're easy to use to your advantage.
That's why we don't go for most time online alone when we look for mods, because they need to be people whom we can trust.

I'm online a lot, and I applied. You can't trust me?

Valdštejn wrote:Nevertheless, there are certain candidates we will interview as soon as I get back to regular internet access, and I hope we'll have a new mod by the end of the week.

You didn't interview me after my applications, when you appointed Holdit or Rapax; 1 leaves very shortly after being appointed, then the other (instead of helping things to go faster) locks the Final Draft Approval Thread in the Creating the Law Subforum. Am I allowed to question your judgement in moderator appointment? You didn't even have the courtesy to respond to say "We received your application, but it has been rejected," or something of the sort. It's not like you had many; you admitted you had very few.

Valdštejn wrote:Also, most of the people favoured in this thread never handed in an application,

I'll beg Aquinas to hand in an application.

Valdštejn wrote:the ones that have and show enough inter-personal skills to not immediately antagonise the forum will be interviewed.

This seems like an attack on me, though I will argue that moderation's inactivity is the antagonist here.

--

As another suggestion, I think that the community ought to elect someone to represent them in these moderator appointments. By that, I mean they would have someone representing them to help with appointing a new moderator. This elected person wouldn't be one of the applicants, or a moderator. I would favour veteran players to take this job, like Farsun, Zanz, SelucianCrusader, etc. (hoping that there are no IML/ATR biases).

And why has this idea (below) been ignored?
I think there could be more accountability, and reasoning transparency (ability for other persons to judge why a decision is being made, after seeing who made it) if Mods' identities were known, like the days when GreekIdiot or Bean were mods.
This whole secret identity thing just gives them more room to slack up. Imagine only 2 IML mods being on the team... They would probably not appoint another mod unless that Mod is IML as well, and we wouldn't know this. They could also defend their in-character interests by abusing Moderations' powers.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Rapax » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Electing a position to be a "Prime Minister" of sorts to the Moderation is a bad idea and I had suggested it a back when I became Moderator. It was determined that it turned into a popularity contest which is never a good thing as we all see from modern day politics.

As for your last tidbit, that was determined to be the best course of action from Wouter and the then-Moderation staff. The issue will be reexamined again as it has been consistently since it was implemented.
Rapax

Postby Siggon Kristov » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Rapax wrote:Electing a position to be a "Prime Minister" of sorts to the Moderation is a bad idea and I had suggested it a back when I became Moderator. It was determined that it turned into a popularity contest which is never a good thing as we all see from modern day politics.

It wouldn't be a popularity contest. Perhaps my post was misunderstood. I am not saying that players should elect a moderator; I'm saying that players should elect a representative to aid in the choosing of a moderator, and that player shouldn't be one of the applicants for the moderator position.

Rapax wrote:As for your last tidbit, that was determined to be the best course of action from Wouter and the then-Moderation staff. The issue will be reexamined again as it has been consistently since it was implemented.

Thank you. I think it will make biases more obvious if they exist, and it would allow a moderator's decisions to be questioned if it shows preference of the moderator's in-game interests.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Siggon Kristov » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:59 pm

J94CK wrote:I don't even know where or how you could hand in an application.....

ptmoderation@gmail.com
Siggon Kristov

Postby EgeDoruk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Siggon Kristov wrote:

Valdštejn wrote:Also, most of the people favoured in this thread never handed in an application,

He can be real good moderator but if it will cost him to not play than I will beg him to not to hand an application but it will be his decision.
''I never dared to be radical when young
For fear it would make me conservative when old.''
Robert Frost

EgeDoruk

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:38 pm

EgeDoruk wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:

He can be real good moderator but if it will cost him to not play than I will beg him to not to hand an application but it will be his decision.

Don't worry... Vald cleared things up.
Valdštejn wrote:To clear things up - Mods don't need to stop playing the game.

--

By the way, here is some advice from Darvian for the players who are applying to be moderators:
Darvian wrote:it’s vital for the game that the moderation team is responsive, active and receptive to members

Darvian wrote:This particular mod writing this introduction doesn’t like to see req’s open past a day,
Siggon Kristov

Postby JuliaAJA » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Does anyone think that I would make a good moderator?
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Afrocentric » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:44 pm

yes

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Afrocentric wrote:
Jessaveryja wrote:Does anyone think that I would make a good moderator?

yes

Yes.
Siggon Kristov

Previous

Return to Archive