Closing threads

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Closing threads

Postby EEL123 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:27 am

Is it really necessary for moderation to be so trigger-happy with closing threads? Sure, our Marco Rubio thread got off the topic, but so what? That's no ground for shutting down a discussion, even if it seems dysfunctional and side-tracked to you. If five posts in a row contained the word "fuck" or something, you'd have a point, but can we please exercise a bit more discretion before we start locking threads?
House of Razama
EEL123

Re: Closing threads

Postby EgeDoruk » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:00 am

Agreed. Moderation shouldn't close down the threads because it goes off topic and even if you do it please apply it to every thread, I can show several threads open and off-topic. Also is there written rules about the forum, I want to see.
''I never dared to be radical when young
For fear it would make me conservative when old.''
Robert Frost

EgeDoruk

Postby Valdštejn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:45 pm

Sorry for phrasing it poorly - the Marco Rubino thread was not closed because it went off-topic, but because insults had already occured, and it seemed likely that that would go on.
Valdštejn

Postby EEL123 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Yes, there was an exchange of insults, but there wasn't anyone who seemed particularly perturbed by that. You shouldn't start awarding damages until someone sues.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Valdštejn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:31 pm

EEL123 wrote:Yes, there was an exchange of insults, but there wasn't anyone who seemed particularly perturbed by that. You shouldn't start awarding damages until someone sues.

Sorry, but that's not how our job works. Players are forbidden from insulting regardless if the insulted is disturbed by that. And there's no benefit in having a thread that had long left sensible discussions, and was only going to end up in insults.
Valdštejn

Postby EEL123 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:50 am

The fact that everybody was perfectly content to continue the discussion and nobody complained (except, of course, the hyper-active moderation team), it appears that people did believe that the thread was not beyond saving and still had potential for "sensible discussion". Secondly, the idea that moderation should intervene even nobody is complaining about hurt feelings is simply ridiculous. An insult is an attack against an individual, not some general attack against Particracy, so unless that individual complains, moderation has no grounds to get involved. It seems that moderation, as if in compensation for their unsatisfactorily slow (no offence) responses in the past, is now engaging in a spate of hyper-activity. There is no point to it.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Valdštejn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 am

EEL123 wrote:The fact that everybody was perfectly content to continue the discussion and nobody complained (except, of course, the hyper-active moderation team), it appears that people did believe that the thread was not beyond saving and still had potential for "sensible discussion". Secondly, the idea that moderation should intervene even nobody is complaining about hurt feelings is simply ridiculous. An insult is an attack against an individual, not some general attack against Particracy, so unless that individual complains, moderation has no grounds to get involved. It seems that moderation, as if in compensation for their unsatisfactorily slow (no offence) responses in the past, is now engaging in a spate of hyper-activity. There is no point to it.

If the closing of one thread that had lost all merit is equal to hyperactivity, I don't mind being called hyperactive. As moderators, we're not only there for punishing people if they've finally gone too far, but also to ensure an environment, in which rule breaking doesn't occur (that easily). Of course we can't prevent all offenses, and of course we can't go all-out in order to prevent them. If you check the Pax Cynica, you will see that if we go after insults, we don't have to get permission from the insulted player. And that's a good thing, because insults aren't just hurting the insulted, but are also detrimental for the community in general, if they become common practice.
And, I'm sorry to ask, but what did you expect to happen in that thread that would have made it worthwhile? At the time it was closed, it was nothing more than afrocentric not listening to any arguments from others, and all others ignoring that and still trying to make their points. That, and both sides getting angrier all the time.
Valdštejn

Postby EEL123 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:31 am

You may think that it was all a pointless charade, but evidently the participants did not. Unless there was really strong reason to shut it down (i.e. someone running to moderation in tears), it should have been left open. Frankly, whether you think, or I think, it was worthwhile or could have been worthwhile is irrelevant; otherwise, you'd shut down half the threads in the forum (if you'll permit a conservative estimate).
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Valdštejn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:24 pm

EEL123 wrote:You may think that it was all a pointless charade, but evidently the participants did not. Unless there was really strong reason to shut it down (i.e. someone running to moderation in tears), it should have been left open. Frankly, whether you think, or I think, it was worthwhile or could have been worthwhile is irrelevant; otherwise, you'd shut down half the threads in the forum (if you'll permit a conservative estimate).

That's not the point. The point was that it was very likely to lead to further insults. If there had been some kind of actual discussion going on, I might have considered leaving it open despite the risk. So, in general, whether I think if threads are worthwhile, really is irrelevant. But when a thread is threatening to evolve into flaming, if it's worthwhile or not will be taken into consideration when we're deciding to close it or not.
So the only question here is if there was a strong enough reason to shut it down - and unlike you, I don't think it needs someone running to us in tears for that.
Valdštejn

Postby Afrocentric » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 am

I apologize for my remarks to certain individuals in that thread.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Return to Archive