Time limit for deactivating inactive parties

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Time limit for deactivating inactive parties

Postby Aquinas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:48 pm

At present, users who haven't logged in have their parties deactivated after 7 days. I would like to suggest this be reduced, perhaps to 3 days. I do not want this to come across as a personal criticism of anyone; there are, of course, all sorts of very understandable reasons why a player might not be able to log in. Nevertheless, the fact of the matter is that parties being inactive can cause a lot of disruption and logjam in nations. This is especially so when it comes to Cabinets, budgets and treaties, all of which require an enhanced majority in order to be passed.

If my proposed reduction in the time limit won't be accepted for the game in general, then may I be so bold as to suggest a special exception be made for Dranland? I suspect most of my Dranish friends would agree with this, though obviously they can speak for themselves. Dranland is one of the more high-activity nations, which means, I feel, that inactive, non-voting parties are more of a problem for us here than they would be elsewhere.
Aquinas

Re: Time limit for deactivating inactive parties

Postby Amazeroth » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:25 am

There won't be an ordered reduction of the day limit. Essentially because in order to enforce any other limit than the 7/4 day one, I'd have to go through the list of all the parties every day and calculate whether they've reached it, instead of relying on the list Wouter coded into the game, that automatically shows parties over the limit. If you want the limit to change, you'll have to ask Wouter.

However, if all the Dranish players agree to a 3 day limit, I'm willing to enforce it, as long as I get messaged whenever a party crosses it (preferably by another Dranish party).
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Aquinas » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Amazeroth wrote:There won't be an ordered reduction of the day limit. Essentially because in order to enforce any other limit than the 7/4 day one, I'd have to go through the list of all the parties every day and calculate whether they've reached it, instead of relying on the list Wouter coded into the game, that automatically shows parties over the limit. If you want the limit to change, you'll have to ask Wouter.

I thought as much.

Amazeroth wrote:However, if all the Dranish players agree to a 3 day limit, I'm willing to enforce it, as long as I get messaged whenever a party crosses it (preferably by another Dranish party).

Thanks, this is very helpful of you, and if we can get this done, I think it will be a big improvement. I will talk to the Dranish players.
Aquinas

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Aquinas wrote:At present, users who haven't logged in have their parties deactivated after 7 days. I would like to suggest this be reduced, perhaps to 3 days. I do not want this to come across as a personal criticism of anyone; there are, of course, all sorts of very understandable reasons why a player might not be able to log in.

I had, for long, supported a reduction to 4 days: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5001
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Aquinas » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:37 pm

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=395149

Amazeroth, as you can see, 5 players have supported the proposal and 3 have abstained. Of the abstainers, one has been inactive for over a week now, one is a newbie who I think isn't quite sure and the other (the Marcos Party) signed up yesterday but hasn't really played the game so far. I hope this will be enough to persuade you to uphold a 3 day limit in Dranland. It would, I am quite sure, make a big positive difference for us.
Aquinas

Postby Amazeroth » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:49 pm

I still would need the ok from the National Libertarians, since they seem to log in regularly enough - the others can be ignored, one has just been deactivated, and the other probably won't return anyways. If you want, I can view the rules as in effect for those who voted for the proposal anyway, regardless if the National Libertarians are supportive or not.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Aquinas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks, Amazeroth. I've let the National Libertarian player know the situation, and hopefully he'll get back to us soon. If we can't get a Dranland-wide 3 day limit, then I'd still be keen to have the 3 day limit for the players who supported it, as you helpfully offered.
Aquinas

Postby EEL123 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:15 am

While this doesn't strictly pertain to what we've been discussing throughout the rest of the thread, I suppose that it does touch on inactive parties. Is there any sort of role regarding the deactivation of parties which are technically active (in that they log on every week) but don't do anything? Can you be deactivated if you haven't voted etc. in some time even if you've logged on in the last week?
House of Razama
EEL123

Return to Archive