Bill incorrectly marked as defeated

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Bill incorrectly marked as defeated

Postby GreenChristian » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:59 pm

The Jelbainan Hrltaj voted to approve this bill http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=404871 with 125 votes (which is over half of the legislature, as required). Yet the bill is marked as defeated, the repealed treaty is still in force, and the new treaty is not ratified.
GreenChristian

Re: Bill incorrectly marked as defeated

Postby Lucca » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Sorry :( but ...

That bill contained both a treaty withdrawal and a treaty ratification, at the same time.
A treaty withdrawal requires half of the legislature.
A treaty ratification requires two-thirds of the legislature.

The bill's vote met the first condition but not the second, so the bill didn't pass. This is not a bug.

The auto-generated description of the voting process mentioned only the withdrawal but not the ratification, and mistakenly stated that only half would be needed. This description is indeed incorrect, sorry :(
but we can't fix it -- only Wouter can -- and this glitch is probably very low priority.

Had the bill included only the withdrawal and not the ratification, it would have passed.
Or alternatively, if it had gained the approval of two-thirds, it would have passed.

(As for myself, I feel that treaty withdrawals should instead need two-thirds (or better yet three-quarters or more).
I feel this would enhance the game and setting; and additionally, in the OOC world a treaty withdrawal is a major event indeed, generally even more so than a ratification is.
If withdrawals were to need the same figure (two-thirds) as ratifications do, instead of a mere half, then the issue which prompted this topic, would never have arisen here.
But this preference is just my personal opinion :oops: and sadly isn't how the game works....)
Lucca

Return to Archive