Immigration from North Dovani to Dankuk

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Immigration from North Dovani to Dankuk

Postby Aquinas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:37 am

Hi Amazeroth,

As you may remember, a little while back, the colonial powers mutually agreed to withdraw from their colonies. In Dankuk's case, this meant withdrawing from North Dovani, amongst other possessions.

There has been some discussion amongst Dankuk's current players of RP'ing a modest increase in the Draddwyr population, caused by Draddwyr immigration from across the border in North Dovani. Most of these immigrants would be descendants of Dankukin citizens who were expelled from Dankuk following the Great Kyo Revolution of 3608.

A player from outside Dankuk is suggesting that for us to do this would be against the rules and that we should ask you for a judgement. I would therefore be grateful if you would look into this, when you get the time. Thanks.

The discussion is here: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=434686
Aquinas

Re: Immigration from North Dovani to Dankuk

Postby Zongxian » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:39 am

Just to be clear geographically, Dankuk does not border the Northern Dovani (CND) region. Kazulia blocks the path, and if my geography is correct, that area is also quite mountainous in that northern strip of Kazulia, between the CND and Dankuk.

Additionally, as per the most recent cultural protocols, Dankuk is 5% Draddwyr and Northern Dovani was 35%. That was 3640 and I think it is logical to believe that Draddwyr numbers increased in Northern Dovani and perhaps even decreased in Dankuk in the ~200 years (3600-3800) of Kyo nationalist-oriented governance and policy. I also want to emphasize that prior to 3640 during the more extreme regime, the population change was largely, but not just because of Northern Dovani relocation; it was also a degree of genocide.

All that said, I do want to voice my opinion in saying that changes in the Draddwyr demographics should not be major. For one, Northern Dovani was established during the relocation as a "Draddwyr colony," and now with colonies prohibited, it could probably be regarded as a Draddwyr-dominated independent nation. I'd argue there is little incentive for relocation to Dankuk, even if the Kyo nationalist regime is gone.
Zongxian

Postby Aquinas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:56 am

Zongxian wrote:Just to be clear geographically, Dankuk does not border the Northern Dovani (CND) region. Kazulia blocks the path

Yes, you're right. My geography was askew.

Zongxian wrote:All that said, I do want to voice my opinion in saying that changes in the Draddwyr demographics should not be major.

From the discussions I've had with the Dankuk players, I don't think any of them disagree with that, and nor do I.
Aquinas

Postby SelucianCrusader » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 am

I think it should be noted that the Draddwyr used to be 30% of the Dranish/Dankukin population. Now they're just 5%. I do agree that any demographic changes should be done in moderation and the Kyo should rightfully be the majority, however I would find it weird if it was possible to literally dump unwanted populations in colonial regions to have them gone forever. The CND hasn't disappeared form the face of Terra just because it's independent.

I've also understood this decolonization agreement as though colonies are still rule wise colonies even if they are IC:ly independent, as they would otherwise be claimable by other nations.
SelucianCrusader

Postby Amazeroth » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Aquinas wrote:Hi Amazeroth,

As you may remember, a little while back, the colonial powers mutually agreed to withdraw from their colonies. In Dankuk's case, this meant withdrawing from North Dovani, amongst other possessions.

There has been some discussion amongst Dankuk's current players of RP'ing a modest increase in the Draddwyr population, caused by Draddwyr immigration from across the border in North Dovani. Most of these immigrants would be descendants of Dankukin citizens who were expelled from Dankuk following the Great Kyo Revolution of 3608.

A player from outside Dankuk is suggesting that for us to do this would be against the rules and that we should ask you for a judgement. I would therefore be grateful if you would look into this, when you get the time. Thanks.

The discussion is here: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=434686

Since decolonialisation, the colonies have been more or less locked in the state they were in before - which means that former colonies that didn't have a history, nations, culture, etc. don't have them now and will never have them, and former colonies that did retain them without ever changing. However, if there is a former colony with a given population, slight RP can be done concerning immigration from, or emigration to a former colony. In fact, as far as RP is concerned, the former colonies can be used just as another country could be used. For example, you wouldn't need an agreement with the players from Kalopia if you wanted some Kalopians to immigrate, as long as it's not unrealistic (because of the high number of immigrants, or RP factors, like an ongoing genocide against Kalopians in your country or something). In fact, in all the instances were referencing another country in your RP is not considered godmoding, using former colonies instead of these countries is acceptable as well.

So a modest increase of Draddwyr population coming from North Dovani would be ok, since a modest increase from every nearby country on Terra would be ok as well.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Farsun » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:59 pm

I think a thing that can be done to rectify this is the creation of a committee of players, a sort of trusteeship where they can help decide events for former colonies. Giving them a little background and giving them something to do in international affairs.

or, if my RP Team idea goes through, it can be handled by them.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Aquinas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks, Amazeroth.
Aquinas

Return to Archive