Say your piece, make suggestions and offer feedback to any aspect of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Particracy's "Random Facts"

Postby Polites » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:03 pm

Aquinas wrote:I'm personally quite fond of a line in Deltaria Nova/Vorona's Cultural Protocols bill, which I think may have been originally drafted by you, Polites:

Deltaria has traditionally been a stereotypical genocidal Eastern European shithole, and Vorona, while less Eastern European, has been no less of a shithole.

Mind you, I'm not sure I could guarantee future Deltaria and Deltaria Nova/Vorona players would appreciate that line appearing at the bottom of their game screen!

Well it is an integral part of those nations' culture, so I guess their "shithole" status might, to some extent, be protected by Moderation and therefore part of the game rules. I would strongly support a Random Fact that includes the word "shithole".
Polites

Postby Farsun » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Polites wrote:
Aquinas wrote:I'm personally quite fond of a line in Deltaria Nova/Vorona's Cultural Protocols bill, which I think may have been originally drafted by you, Polites:

Deltaria has traditionally been a stereotypical genocidal Eastern European shithole, and Vorona, while less Eastern European, has been no less of a shithole.

Mind you, I'm not sure I could guarantee future Deltaria and Deltaria Nova/Vorona players would appreciate that line appearing at the bottom of their game screen!

Well it is an integral part of those nations' culture, so I guess their "shithole" status might, to some extent, be protected by Moderation and therefore part of the game rules. I would strongly support a Random Fact that includes the word "shithole".

I standby Polites in this case.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Aquinas » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:54 pm

I'd like to do another update to the Random Facts soon, so lets get some ideas together!

A few suggestions from me, mainly designed to entice players towards the forum...

If there are no parties in your nation with seats, feel free to visit the forum and request an early election on the Early Election Requests thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4362

If your "Bills under debate" section is cluttered up with old bills created by inactive parties, report them for deletion on the Bill Clearouts Requests thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4363

Head to the Language Assistance Requests thread to receive and offer help with translations: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6132

Tell us about yourself on the Particracy Player Profiles thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32

Discuss flag designs at the Flag Designs thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37

If a party in your nation has not logged in for 7 days or more, report it for inactivation at the Inactive Parties thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4447

If you want to know how many players there are in Particracy right now, check out the Game Statistics buried at the bottom of the World Map screen.

Particracy has been running since 2005. Dorvik was Particracy's first nation, the Dorvik Social Democrats the first party and the International Greens the first Party Organisation.

Keymon is Particracy's smallest nation, with only 1 region and 20 million people.
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:37 pm

The following have been added to Random Facts. Please keep them coming, guys!

Dorvik is a nation based on Germanic and old Prussian cultures, it is located on the far north of Artania, making it an almost arctic nation.

Selucia is Particracy's modern take on Ancient Rome, located on the continent of Majatra.

Cildania is Particracy's modern take on Carthage but with a Middle-Eastern twist, like Lebanon and Syria. Cildania is located on the continent of Majatra.

Vanuku is a bilingual nation, divided between the Dutch and a group of the Jelbic peoples. Vanuku is located on the continent of Majatra.

Zardugal is a nation based on the old Byzantine Empire, with a modern twist and the Esperanto language. Zardugal is located on the continent of Majatra.

Jelbic = "Group of cultures with an overall Central Asian/Eurasian steppe theme, using a fictional language developed specifically for Particracy".

"Dorvik is a nation with German and old Prussian cultures, it is very northern with a cold climate and has a long history as a military nation.

If there are no parties in your nation with seats, feel free to visit the forum and request an early election on the Early Election Requests thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4362

If your "Bills under debate" section is cluttered up with old bills created by inactive parties, report them for deletion on the Bill Clearouts Requests thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4363

Head to the Language Assistance Requests thread to receive and offer help with translations: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6132

Tell us about yourself on the Particracy Player Profiles thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32

Discuss flag designs at the Flag Designs thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37

If you want to know how many players there are in Particracy right now, check out the Game Statistics buried at the bottom of the World Map screen.

Particracy has been running since 2005. Dorvik was Particracy's first nation, the Dorvik Social Democrats the first party and the International Greens the first Party Organisation.

Keymon is Particracy's smallest nation, with only 1 region and 20 million people.
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:59 am

Did you know you can change the official name of your nation? All you need to do is draw up a new name that is in accordance with the National Renaming Guide (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6364 ), pass a bill proposing the name change with a 2/3rds majority and then post a request to Moderation on the "Nation, Region, City Renaming Requests" thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4361 You can change city and region names in this way too, so long as the new names "reflect the culture of the nation".
Aquinas

Postby IdioC » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:53 am

How about one listing the names of the continents? I don't think they appear much in the game engine and it would be good to have them confirmed.

...I only know Majatra by name, to my shame, despite being fossil record material in the game. How are newbies going to stand a chance?
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby Aquinas » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:53 pm

That's a great idea. For starters,

Terra, the fictional world in which Particracy is set, consists of 8 continents: Artania, Dovani, Keris, Macon, Majatra, Seleya, Squibble and Vascania.

Anyone want to write some Random Facts explaining each of the continents in more detail?
Aquinas

Postby J4C0B65 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Rildanor, Kanjor, Alduria and Lourenne all have Canrilaisse (French) Cultures.

Is there facts about the Culturally Active, Void and Dormant Nations?
Classic Particracy

Parti Conservateur Democratique (Lourenne) - Inactive
Parti Conservateur Democratique (Rildanor) - Inactive
Partido Nacional (Gaduridos) - Inactive
National Conservative Party (Beiteynu) - Inactive
J4C0B65

Postby Aquinas » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:50 pm

J4C0B65 wrote:Rildanor, Kanjor, Alduria and Lourenne all have Canrilaisse (French) Cultures.

That's a good one! Canrillaise is only one "s" though (I think!).

J4COB65 wrote:Is there facts about the Culturally Active, Void and Dormant Nations?

No, but by early next month we will only have void ("Culturally Open") and Culturally Active nations...so maybe that will be the best time to add a Random Fact about that.
Aquinas

Particracy's "Random Quotes"

Postby Aquinas » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:56 am

To spice things up, we are going to start making additions to the "Random Quotes" that run along the bottom of the game screen. The kind of quotes we want to add should encourage us to think about politics or be Particracy-related.

So put on your thinking caps and throw us your ideas!

For the record, here is a list of the Random Quotes already in place:

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
� Thomas B. Reed

"I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics."
� Ayn Rand

"Depressions and mass unemployment are not caused by the free market but by government interference in the economy."
� Ludwig von Mises

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
� Edmund Burke

"The only thing that saves us from bureaucracy is its inefficiency."
� Eugene McCarthy

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to defend minorities."
� Ayn Rand

"Politics have no relation to morals."
� Niccolo Machiavelli

"In politics, you have your word and your friends; go back on either and you're dead."
� Morton C. Blackwell

"An empty stomach is not a good political adviser."
� Albert Einstein

"There can be no daily democracy without daily citizenship."
� Ralph Nader

"A dictatorship is a country where they have taken the politics out of politics."
� Sam Himmell

"Men who have greatness in them don't go in for politics."
� Albert Camus

"A cult is a religion with no political power."
� Tom Wolfe, b. Thomas Kennerly, Jr.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair."
� George Burns

"The best politics is right action."
� Mohandas Gandhi (1869-1948)

"Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions."
� Albert Einstein

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
� Albert Einstein

"I can make more generals, but horses cost money."
� Abraham Lincoln

"Every government does as much harm as it can, and as much good as it must."
� Nicholas Walter

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
� Mao Tse-Tung (1893-1976)

"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is."
� Mohandas Gandhi

"Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
� Ambrose Bierce

"Being in politics is like being a football coach: you have to be smart enough to understand the game and dumb enough to think it's important."
� Eugene J. McCarthy

"The essential ingredient of politics is timing."
� Pierre Trudeau

"A politician is a person with whose politics you don't agree; if you agree with him, he's a statesman."
� David Lloyd George

"I didn't come into politics to change the Labour Party. I came into politics to change the country."
� Tony Blair

"And that is my definition of democracy: the right to be in a minority and not be suppressed."
� Lee Harvey Oswald

"The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it comes strong than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power."
� Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Politics isn't about left versus right; it's about top versus bottom."
� Jim Hightower

"Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state."
� Noam Chomsky

"To err is human. To blame someone else is politics."
� Hubert H. Humphrey

"There can only be democracy when money is not allowed to be spent in politics."
� Imran Khan

"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy."
� Woodrow Wilson

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
� John Stuart Mill

"I am in politics because of the conflict between good and evil, and I believe that in the end good will triumph."
� Margaret Thatcher

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
� Groucho Marx

"Changing the way we measure things is vital. So is decompartmentalising society making sure that economics and politics are not divorced from other crucial areas of life."
� David Attenborough

"The best argument against democracy is a fifteen minute talk with the average voter."
� Winston Churchill

"How many legs does a dog have if you call its tail a leg? Four. Calling a dog's tail a leg does not make it a leg."
� Abraham Lincoln

"A low voter turnout means that fewer people are going to the polls."
� Attributed to Dan Quayle

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
� Thomas Jefferson

"Politics is the art of the possible."
� Otto von Bismarck

"Politics is the system of depriving the proletariat of their power."
� Karl Marx

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."
� Niccolo Machiavelli

"The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him."
� Niccolo Machiavelli

"The one who adapts his policy to the times prospers, and likewise that the one whose policy clashes with the demands of the times does not."
� Niccolo Machiavelli

"The question is, then: do we try to make things easy on ourselves, or do we try to make things easy on our customers, whomever they may be?"
� Niccolo Machiavelli

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost."
� Thomas Jefferson

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
� Thomas Jefferson

"Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government; that whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them to rights."
� Thomas Jefferson

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
� Thomas Jefferson

"Bigotry is the disease of ignorance, of morbid minds; enthusiasm of the free and buoyant. Education and free discussion are the antidotes of both."
� Thomas Jefferson

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
� Thomas Jefferson

"In our age, there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia."
� George Orwell

"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber."
� Plato

"In politics, stupidity is not a handicap."
� Napoleon Bonaparte

"Poetry is about the grief; politics is about the grievance."
� Robert Frost

"The more you observe politics, the more you've got to admit that each party is worse than the other."
� Will Rogers

"Politics: a strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage."
� Ambrose Bierce

"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself, you can always write a book."
� Ronald Reagan

"The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people."
� Noam Chomsky

"Politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians."
� Charles de Gaulle

"I reject the cynical view that politics is a dirty business."
� Richard M. Nixon

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
� H. L. Mencken

"An Independent is someone who wants to take the politics out of politics."
� Adlai E. Stevenson

"Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media."
� Noam Chomsky

"Real politics is the possession and distribution of power."
� Benjamin Disraeli

"You can't be in politics unless you can walk in a room and know in a minute who's for you and who's against you."
� Samuel Johnson

"Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity."
� Albert Einstein

"The spirit of democracy is not a mechanical thing to be adjusted by abolition of forms. It requires change of heart."
� Mohandas Gandhi

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
� Jean Chretien on the level of proof of WMD's Canada required to join the Iraq War

"The truth is that men are tired of liberty."
� Benito Mussolini

"The Liberal State is a mask behind which there is no face; it is a scaffolding behind which there is no building."
� Benito Mussolini

"Fascism is a religion. The twentieth century will be known in history as the century of Fascism."
� Benito Mussolini

"All within the state; nothing outside the state; nothing against the state."
� Benito Mussolini

"In any country there must be people who have to die. They are the sacrifices any nation has to make to achieve law and order."
� Idi Amin Dada

"Sometimes democracy must be bathed in blood."
� Augusto Pinochet

"The great strength of the totalitarian state is that it forces those who fear it to imitate it."
� Adolf Hitler

"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."
� Josef Stalin

"Power always has to be kept in check; power exercised in secret, especially under the cloak of national security, is doubly dangerous."
� William Proxmire

"He who controls the past, commands the future. He who commands the future, conquers the past."
� Kane; Command and Conquer: Red Alert

"Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
� Lord Acton

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"
� Mahatma Gandhi.

"Capitalism demands the best of every man�his rationality�and rewards him accordingly. It leaves every man free to choose the work he likes, to specialize in it, to trade his product for the products of others, and to go as far on the road of achievement as his ability and ambition will carry him."
� Ayn Rand

"Capitalism is the only system that can make freedom, individuality, and the pursuit of values possible in practice."
� Ayn Rand

"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."
� Ayn Rand

"The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. Whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles."
� Ayn Rand

"If men want to oppose war, it is statism that they must oppose."
� Ayn Rand

"A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers."
� Friedrich August von Hayek

"Perhaps the fact that we have seen millions voting themselves into complete dependence on a tyrant has made our generation understand that to choose one's government is not necessarily to secure freedom."
� Friedrich August von Hayek

�In politics, madame, you need two things: friends, but above all an enemy."
� Brian Mulroney

�Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.�
� Ronald Reagan

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government."
� Ayn Rand

"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery."
� Winston Churchill

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."
� Abraham Lincoln

"The opportunity to serve our country�that is all we ask."
� John Smith

"The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another�no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."
� John Smith

"If democracy is ever to be threatened, it will not be by revolutionary groups burning government offices and occupying the broadcasting and newspaper offices of the world. It will come from disenchantment, cynicism and despair caused by the realization that the New World Order means we are all to be managed and not represented."
� Tony Benn

"If voting changed anything, they'd abolish it."
� Ken Livingstone

"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution."
� Emma Goldman

"The right to suffer is one of the joys of a free economy."
� Howard Pyle commenting on the unemployment situation in Detroit

"Political institutions are a superstructure resting on an economic foundation."
� Nikolai Lenin (1870-1924)

"Idealism is fine; but as it approaches reality, the cost becomes prohibitive."
� William F. Buckley, Jr.

"The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there is nothing in the mall, and if you don't go there, they shoot you."
� P. J. O'Rourke

"Aristocracy and exclusiveness tend to final overthrow, in language as in politics."
� W. D. Whitney

"When was the last time you talked about race with someone of a different race? If the answer is never, you're part of the problem."
� Bill Bradley

"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."
� Edward Abbey

"Anarchy is the true nature of all things. Monarchy, democracy, communism, all useless forms to control the human mind. But a mind cannot be controlled. It cannot be restrained. It has no boundaries. It has its will. Anarchy is the true nature of all things."
� Alex Battig

"If you have an apple, and I have an apple, and we exchange the apples, then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea, and I have an idea, and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
� George Bernard Shaw

"We cannot acknowledge allegiance to any human government... Our country is the world, our countrymen are all mankind."
� William Lloyd Garrison

"From my point of view, the killing of another, except in defense of human life, is archistic, authoritarian, and therefore, no Anarchist can commit such deeds. It is the very opposite of what Anarchism stands for."
� Joseph Labadie

"If we cannot, by reason, by influence, by example, by strenuous effort, and by personal sacrifice, mend the bad places of civilization, we certainly cannot do it by force."
� Auberon Herbert

"John Burroughs has stated that experimental study of animals in captivity is absolutely useless. Their character, their habits, their appetites undergo a complete transformation when torn from their soil in field and forest. With human nature caged in a narrow space, whipped daily into submission, how can we speak of its potentialities?"
� Emma Goldman

"If man asks for many laws, it is only because he is sure that his neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist, and thinks laws in his own case superfluous."
� Will Durant

"Anarchy stands for the liberation of the human mind from the domination of religion, the liberation of the human body from the domination of property, liberation from the shackles and restraints of government."
� Emma Goldman

"Oh, judge, your damn laws: the good people don't need them and the bad people don't follow them so what good are they?"
� Ammon Hennacy

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
� Abraham Lincoln

"Patriotism is in political life what faith is in religion."
� Lord Acton (1834-1902)

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
� Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Those who are responsible for the national security must be the sole judges of what the national security requires. It would be obviously undesirable that such matters should be made the subject of evidence in a court of law or otherwise discussed in public."
� Unattributed member of the the House of Lords on the removal of trade union rights

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
� Mark Twain

"Congress is like diapers; it should be changed regularly as it gets full of the same thing."
� Seen on a bumper sticker

"Corruption is the nightmare that keeps democracy a dream."
� Anonymous

"The honest politician is one who, when he is bought, stays bought."
� Simon Cameron

"People say I steal. Well, all politicians steal."
� Huey P. Long

"Democracy is more dangerous than fire. Fire can't vote itself immune to water."
� Michael Z. Williamson

"Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates."
� Gore Vidal

"Because democracy is not a spectator sport."
� 2004 Democratic US Presidential Election Slogan

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
� H. L. Mencken

"The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda against democracy."
� Alex Carey

"The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it."
� Edward Dowling

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote."
� Attributed to Benjamin Franklin

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
� Winston Churchill

"Dictators ride to and fro upon tigers which they dare not dismount. And the tigers are getting hungry."
� Winston Churchill

"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator."
� George W. Bush

"The people who vote decide nothing. The people who count the vote decide everything."
� Joseph Stalin

"Political correctness is just tyranny with manners."
� Charlton Heston

"There is only one difference between dictatorship and democracy. In democracy, you vote and then take orders; in dictatorship you don't waste time voting."
� Joseph Stalin

"Wherever you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship."
� Harry S. Truman

"We have to face the fact that either all of us are going to die together or we are going to learn to live together, and if we are to live together we have to talk."
� Eleanor Roosevelt

"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind."
� Winston Churchill

"A Bill of Rights that means what the majority wants it to mean is worthless."
� Antonin Scalia

"To refuse political equality is to rob the ostracized of all self-respect."
� Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815-1902)

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'"
� Mikhail Bakunin

"The difference between a republic and a people's republic is a lot like the difference between a jacket and a straightjacket.."
� Ronald Reagan

"The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities."
� Lord Acton

"Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest political end."
� Lord Acton

"The man who prefers his country before any other duty shows the same spirit as the man who surrenders every right to the state. They both deny that right is superior to authority."
� Lord Acton

"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe."
� Edmund Burke

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
� Ed Howdershelt

"Politics is the art of postponing decisions until they are no longer relevant."
� Henri Queuille

"I consider myself a citizen of the world!"
� Charlie Chaplin

"We're the first society in history with the option of living in a world without poverty. The fact poverty still exist says more about our political leaders than I can."
� Clint Borgen

"The issues are much too important for the Chilean voters to be left to decide for themselves."
� Henry Kissinger on the election of Chilean President Salvador Allende

"Liberalism is the transformation of mankind into cattle."
� Friedrich Nietzsche

"It will be years�not in my time�before a woman will become Prime Minister."
� Margaret Thatcher

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."
� Elaine Boosler

"Envy is the cause of political division."
� Democritus

"I have no faith in political arithmetic."
� Adam Smith

"The key to understanding the American system is to imagine that you have the power to make nearly any law you want, but your worst enemy will be the one to enforce it."
� Rick Cook

"The problem with political jokes is they get elected."
� Henry Cate VII

"You don't have to explain something you never said."
� Calvin Coolidge

"The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy."
� Edwin W. Edwards

"A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground."
� H.L. Mencken

"Politics is the entertainment industry for ugly people."
� Mark Turpin

"Politics is perhaps the only profession for which no preparation is thought necessary."
� Robert Louis Stevenson

"[The people] may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel."
� Carl W. Buechner

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes."
� Winston Churchill

"The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites.'"
� Larry Hardiman

"In public policy, it matters less who has the best arguments and more who gets heard�and by whom."
� Ralph Reed

"Presidency, n. The greased pig in the field game of American politics."
� Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...[where] the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
� James Madison

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
� Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr

"I believe that guns don't kill people, husbands that come home early do."
� Larry the Cable Guy

"The National Rifle Association says, 'Guns don't kill people; people kill people,' but I think the gun helps."
� Eddie Izzard

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon�so long as there is no answer to it�gives claws to the weak."
� George Orwell

"The streets are safe in Philadelphia�it's only the people who make them unsafe."
� Frank Rizzo

"If there's anything a public servant hates to do it's something for the public."
� Kin Hubbard

"Difference of religion breeds more quarrels than difference of politics."
� Wendell Phillips (1811-1884)

"[In the West] unpopular ideas can be silenced, and inconvenient facts kept dark, without any need for an official ban."
� George Orwell

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius�and a lot of courage�to move in the opposite direction."
� Albert Einstein

"The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions."
� Robert Lynd (1879-1949)

"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it."
� Marcus Aurelius

"If it were proved to me that in making war, my ideal had a chance of being realized, I would still say 'No' to war, for one does not create human society on mounds of corpses."
� Louis Lecoin

"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways."
� Buddha

"History is made by angry minorities, not by passive majorities."
� Fareed Zakaria

"The Religious Right dislikes both abortions and homosexuality. But who has fewer abortions than gays?"
� George Carlin

"If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work. 'Hello. Can't work today; still queer.'"
� Robin Tyler

"The answer to global warming is in the abolition of private property and production for human need. A socialist world would place an enormous priority on alternative energy sources. This is what ecologically-minded socialists have been exploring for quite some time now."
� Louis Proyect

"Global warmers predict that global warming is coming, and our emissions are to blame. They do that to keep us worried about our role in the whole thing. If we aren't worried and guilty, we might not pay their salaries. It's that simple."
� Kary Mullis

"Global warming�at least the modern nightmare vision�is a myth. I am sure of it and so are a growing number of scientists. But what is really worrying is that the world's politicians and policy makers are not."
� Professor David Bellamy

"The European Union and environmental advocacy groups use global warming hysteria to advance their own special agendas. The European Union recognizes any significant reduction in CO2 emissions by the United States will significantly reduce its economic output, thereby bringing it closer to the inferior output of European nations. Environmental advocacy groups work to stifle economic and industrial progress wherever they find it to inhibit the successful advancement of peoples in developing nations, inevitably making mankind a second class citizen of planet Earth."
� Dr. Jay Lehr

"Global warming is indeed a scam, perpetrated by scientists with vested interests, but in need of crash courses in geology, logic and the philosophy of science."
� Dr. Martin Keeley

"If God made man they say Sam Colt made them equal."
� Unknown

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.�
� George Washington

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
� Sigmund Freud

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun... Our principle is to have the
Party control the gun and never allow the gun to control the Party."
� Mao Tse-Tung

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
� Thomas Jefferson

"Cruel leaders are replaced only to have new leaders turn cruel."
� Ernesto "Che" Guevara

"Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person."
� Mother Teresa

"He who turns his back on the left, looks at the right."
� Johan Vande Lanotte

"Usually the nonsense liberals spout is kind of cute, but in wartime their instinctive idiocy is life-threatening."
� Ann Coulter

"Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity."
� Karl Marx

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
� Karl Marx

"The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty commands respect. Men may hate us, but we don't ask for their love, only for their fear."
� Heinrich Himmler

"It is the absolute right of the State to supervise the formation of public opinion."
� Joseph Goebbels

"It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both."
� Niccolo Machiavelli

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
� Vladimir Lenin

"I realize that a life predicated on being obedient and taking orders is a very comfortable life indeed. Living in such a way reduces to a minimum one's need to think."
� Adolf Eichmann

"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people."
� Oscar Wilde

"No man can outrun a bullet."
� Idi Amin Dada

"Politics, when it is an art and a service, not an exploitation, is about acting for an ideal through realities."
� Charles De Gaulle

"Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary."
� Mohandas Gandhi

"Non-violence is not a garment to be put on and off at will. Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our very being."
� Mohandas Gandhi

"A lot of people are waiting for Martin Luther King or Mahatma Gandhi to come back�but they are gone. We are it. It is up to us. It is up to you."
� Marian Wright Edelman

"The proletarians of the world have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of all countries: Unite!"
� Karl Marx

"The theory of Communism may be summed up in the single sentence: Abolition of private property."
� Karl Marx

"The Communist revolution is the most radical rupture with traditional property relations; no wonder that its development invloves the most radical rupture with traditional ideas."
� Karl Marx

"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."
� Universal Declaration of Human Rights

"Up against the corporate government, voters find themselves asked to choose between look-alike candidates from two parties vying to see who takes the marching orders from their campaign paymasters and their future employers. The money of vested interest nullifies genuine voter choice and trust."
� Ralph Nader

"A leader has the vision and conviction that a dream can be achieved. He inspires the power and energy to get it done."
� Ralph Nader

"I start with the premise that the function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers."
� Ralph Nader

"A society that has more justice is a society that needs less charity."
� Ralph Nader

"When strangers start acting like neighbors, communities are reinvigorated."
� Ralph Nader

"Isn't it about time that the US government stop supporting dictatorships and avaricious oligarchies with our tax monies, munitions, and diplomacy?"
� Ralph Nader

"The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun."
� Ralph Nader

"The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference."
� Ralph Nader

"This country has far more problems than it deserves and far more solutions than it applies."
� Ralph Nader

"This administration is not sympathetic to corporations; it is indentured to corporations."
� Ralph Nader

" A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul."
� George Bernard Shaw

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
� Barry Goldwater

"You can't give the government the power to do good without also giving it the power to do bad�in fact, to do anything it wants."
� Harry Browne

"You don't have to buy from anyone. You don't have to work at any particular job. You don't have to participate in any given relationship. You can choose."
� Harry Browne

"The first step in freeing yourself from social restrictions is the realization that there is no such thing as a 'safe' code of conduct�one that would earn everyone's approval. Your actions can always be condemned by someone�for being too bold or too apathetic, for being too conformist or too nonconformist, for being too liberal or too conservative. So it's necessary to decide whose approval is important to you. "
� Harry Browne

"Democracy is in peril."
� Ralph Nader on '96 presidential election turnout

"I've been against the death penalty since I was in law school in 1950. It's horrible, discriminatory, and undermines the credibility of the criminal justice system."
� Ralph Nader

"Let's call the drug war what it is�ethnic cleansing of Americans."
� Jello Biafra

"Most politicians hold their fingers to the wind, and if we win we'll be showing them a lot of wind."
� Ralph Nader

"Casting a vote shouldn't make you sick."
� Ronnie Dugger

"To the youth of America, I say, beware of being trivialized by the commercial culture that tempts you daily. I hear you saying often that you're not turned on by politics. The lessons of history are clear and portentous. If you do not turn onto politics, politics will turn on you."
� Ralph Nader

"The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago had they happened to be within the reach of predatory human hands."
� Havelock Ellis

"There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed."
� Mohandas K. Gandhi

"Modern technology / Owes ecology / An apology."
� Alan M. Eddison

"In America today, you can murder land for private profit. You can leave the corpse for all to see, and nobody calls the cops."
� Paul Brooks

"Don't blow it�good planets are hard to find."
� Quoted in Time Magazine

"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites."
� William Ruckelshaus

"Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget us."
� Henrik Tikkanen

"I'm not an environmentalist. I'm an Earth warrior."
� Darryl Cherney
Aquinas

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback