Problem with Chrome Mobile

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Problem with Chrome Mobile

Postby albatrosinus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:33 am

If you use Google Chrome for Android/iOS you should disable Data Saver while being on Particracy. As it goes through the Google proxies, your IP is uncorrectly interpreted as the proxy's IP (66.249.*.*)

I have been running into trouble recently because use of Data Saver made me appear as a multi-accounting player with another (unrelated) one in Dorvik.

ALBATROSINUS
Who are you and why are you watching this?
albatrosinus

Re: Problem with Chrome Mobile

Postby TheNewGuy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:06 pm

In truth it looks like this is something that should be brought to wouter as a bug in PT that ought to be fixed. It really shouldn't be on PT's users to have the know-how to do this, and Google has a method ("X-Forwarded-For") to tell sites the actual IP of their Data Saver users. Alternatively, and in the mean time, Moderation should be willing to note that this is a legitimate concern and should treat people using Data Saver as they treat known IP-sharers.

Aquinas, have you seen this issue with many users? I'd say just note on their party pages that they're Data Saver users and save them the hassle of doing this.
I once was full of promise. Oops.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

Particracy Realism Project
TheNewGuy

Re: Problem with Chrome Mobile

Postby Aquinas » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience and your research with us, Albatrosinus. It is good for us all to be aware of this situation.

TheNewGuy wrote:Aquinas, have you seen this issue with many users? I'd say just note on their party pages that they're Data Saver users and save them the hassle of doing this.

During the month I have been a Moderator, two accounts (one belonging to Albatrosinus) were regrettably inactivated over the Android thing. Both were reactivated after we worked out what had happened. A third account, again involving an Android issue, was pulled up as a multi, but by that time I was aware of what was happening, and didn't inactivate him - just advised him to use an alternative way of accessing Particracy.

I am hoping to have a general discussion with Amazeroth & Wouter about the whole area of investigating suspected multis. Inactivating rule-abiding players is something we obviously want to avoid as much as possible.
Aquinas

Return to Archive