Banning membership of organisations that promote violence

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Banning membership of organisations that promote violence

Postby stuntmonkey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:57 am

Hi there,

I wonder if a moderator could clear this up for me.

In Baltusia we have several left wing parties that are members of an international organisation called The Revolutionary Alliance.

http://classic.particracy.net/vieworgan ... ionid=4050

This movement promotes Left Revolution around Terra and its founding member - the Beluz Radical Revolutionary Party - actively promotes violent revolution.

Our nation has not long emerged from a bloody civil war in which the members of this organisation sent international task forces to fight alongside the left wing revolutionaries against government forces.

We are now in peacetime, and in character as president I have asked the four parties to resign membership from this organisation voluntarily but they refuse. I have asked them to at least denounce violence to meet their political needs - they have not. Therefore, am I within my right to propose a rp bill which says that "parties and individuals are free to join any domestic or international organisation unless that organisation promotes, or is actively involved, in violence"?

If so, is this a straight forward requires more 'yes' votes to pass than 'no' votes, or would it be more complex than that? Also if it passes, how would it enforced, would it require moderation to enforce it if players still refused to cancel membership of the above organisation or others that propagate violence.

Thanks in advance for your help.
“I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”

― AES II

Current party - Haruzuterēchisuku Refonpātī
stuntmonkey

Re: Banning membership of organisations that promote violence

Postby mpog » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:25 pm

I think this is covered by the following rule:
22.4 The following types of RP law are specifically identified as laws which will be enforced by Moderation:

22.4.1 RP laws which, with substantial and convincing role-play justification, impose measures against specific parties or types of parties or characters and types of characters. This may include banning a party or arresting and punishing a character.

As far as I can tell there is no 2/3rds requirement.
mpog

Postby Aquinas » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:43 pm

In the circumstances you have outlined there, such a RP bill looks reasonable in terms of the Game Rules, and it could be enforced by Moderation, if necessary. However, Moderation-imposed inactivations in such circumstances should be a matter of last resort, so the onus should be on the players in your nation coming to a mutually-acceptable resolution to this - if that is possible, of course.

Passing a RP bill with the standard requirements would be fine - I do not think you would need a 2/3rds majority here.

A few points to consider, though:

i. It would need to be clarified that the parties are members of the organisation in an IC (in-character) capacity, not an OOC (out-of-character) one. This may sound confusing and counter-intuitive, but in Particracy, quite a few players join organisations they are personally interested in, but which are not relevant or appropriate for the particular party they are currently role-playing.

ii. How sure can we be that the Revolutionary Alliance is actively promoting violent revolution? I note the organisation description is soliciting support "militarily", but it is not obviously clear whether that means military support in defence of established left-wing governments against aggressors, or military force with a view to violently overthrowing established governments who the Alliance opposes. The description also refers to "Left Revolutions", but again, it is not completely clear whether this is referring to peaceful/democratic revolutions, or violent ones. So it is probably worth communicating with the organisation's leaders in order to build a clearer picture of what the IC nature of the organisation is.
Aquinas

Postby stuntmonkey » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:05 am

Ok, thanks for the advice.
“I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”

― AES II

Current party - Haruzuterēchisuku Refonpātī
stuntmonkey

Return to Archive