Dissolving a political party that has breached national law

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Dissolving a political party that has breached national law

Postby stuntmonkey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi Aquinas,

Can you help me with this one: What is the RP and game mechanics process for invoking Article 9.2 of the Constitution, namely dissolving a political party for violation of national law? We have a situation where a party is inciting violent rioting on the streets, which has led to damage of public property and shots being fired at police officers.

In game as president ultimately I want to throw the book at this party if they don't desist, so what would i need to do? Is it a case of RPing a court case and then if the party is found guilty of incitement to violence etc I ask other parties to vote to throw the party out of congress? If that is the case would this require 2/3rd majority to pass and what would happen next i.e physically would the party be deactivated?

Obviously I am not trying to force any player out in the cold but notice this in the constitution and realise it could be used to bring the scenario described above to ahead.

Thanks.
“I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”

― AES II

Current party - Haruzuterēchisuku Refonpātī
stuntmonkey

Re: Dissolving a political party that has breached national law

Postby Aquinas » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:50 pm

stuntmonkey wrote:Hi Aquinas,

Can you help me with this one: What is the RP and game mechanics process for invoking Article 9.2 of the Constitution, namely dissolving a political party for violation of national law? We have a situation where a party is inciting violent rioting on the streets, which has led to damage of public property and shots being fired at police officers.

In game as president ultimately I want to throw the book at this party if they don't desist, so what would i need to do? Is it a case of RPing a court case and then if the party is found guilty of incitement to violence etc I ask other parties to vote to throw the party out of congress? If that is the case would this require 2/3rd majority to pass and what would happen next i.e physically would the party be deactivated?

Obviously I am not trying to force any player out in the cold but notice this in the constitution and realise it could be used to bring the scenario described above to ahead.

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with what the full background/details are to this, but if the party is obviously and seriously violating the law like this, then I would propose you could ban the party with a 2/3rds majority vote (of seats) in the legislature. The player would then be expected to self-inactivate their account in order to simulate this. If necessary, Moderation would step in to ensure the party was removed.

However, a Moderation-imposed inactivation in a situation like this really should be a last resort, and if possible, it would be better to come to an arrangement with the player. This might mean that he voluntarily inactivates to simulate the banning (although he could then reactivate with a different/legal party). Or it might mean you retcon the RP where his party broke the law. Or perhaps it could mean the party agrees to abide by the law in future, and in return the legislature foregoes imposing a ban.

I recommend directing the player towards this thread, so he can see for himself what the situation is, and then hopefully you'll all be able to work out together how you want to proceed.

Hope this helps, and good luck! And let us know if you need us.
Aquinas

Re: Dissolving a political party that has breached national law

Postby stuntmonkey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:36 am

Ok, thanks for the advice. I just wanted to be clear how it worked before potentially bringing it up. As it stands we are trying to iron out the issue through "peace talks" regarding the rioting, so hopefully it won't be necessary - but it is good to know how it would work if we needed to invoke it.
“I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”

― AES II

Current party - Haruzuterēchisuku Refonpātī
stuntmonkey

Return to Archive