Bicameral RP System

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Bicameral RP System

Postby stuntmonkey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi there,

In Baltusia we are looking to introduce a bicameral system to widen RP opportunities.

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=509176

It looks as if the RP bill will pass. However, my question is is this an RP law that is enforceable by the mods or does it contravene game mechanics?

Secondly If the latter is the case, our proposal is that all long standing players are looking to voluntarily adhere to this RP and we would post a sticky explaining to new players that this is what we are doing and inviting them, but not compelling them, to join in.

Can you let me know your thoughts on this please.

Thanks.

Stuntmonkey
(Baltusian Nationmaster)
“I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”

― AES II

Current party - Haruzuterēchisuku Refonpātī
stuntmonkey

Re: Bicameral RP System

Postby Reddy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid the proposed RP law is invalid. The law is problematic on a number of points.

- Number 4 would have the virtual effect of prescribing supermajorities for normal bills which according to game mechanics, can be passed with simple majority. This would make the process of passing a bill more difficult than it ordinarily has to be and also contravene game mechanics in a sense.

- Number 6, the part compelling the introduction of a second bill after the upper house has rejected the first is also prohibited by the Game Rules.

The best bet with RPing upper houses is to have a non-participatory upper house like some nations like Istalia. The system you propose just has too much of a potential for confusion and conflict.

Regards,

Reddy
(Moderation)
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby stuntmonkey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 pm

Ok, no worries. Thanks for the clarification.

Regards.
“I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”

― AES II

Current party - Haruzuterēchisuku Refonpātī
stuntmonkey

Postby jamescfm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:27 pm

On a similar note, could you provide some advice on this proposal; following a referendum, players are suggesting that one state be granted devolution on all areas which 'local governments decide this is an option'. I've been hesitant to support because it would seem to contradict the game mechanics. Could Moderation clear this up at all?

jamescfm

Postby Reddy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:38 am

jamescfm wrote:On a similar note, could you provide some advice on this proposal; following a referendum, players are suggesting that one state be granted devolution on all areas which 'local governments decide this is an option'. I've been hesitant to support because it would seem to contradict the game mechanics. Could Moderation clear this up at all?

You are right, James. The RP law would contradict game mechanics there. Only those laws where the legislature has passed a bill which picks the Local Government option can be devolved. Of course RP law can also devolve areas which are not covered by game mechanics.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Return to Archive