RP Law Query Thread

In-Game and Forum requests and complaints.

RP Law Query Thread

Postby Polites » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:10 am

6. e. It is possible to create RP laws which act as secondary rules which players are required to follow in character only, laws that require players to act or vote in a specific way are not permitted. They are laws which are only referenced in the bill description and not enforced by the game mechanics.

i.To create an RP law you must: clearly label it as an RP Law, pass it through your nation's legislature with either a simple majority of seats if it is a regular law or a ⅔ majority of seats if it is a constitutional law and reference it clearly in your nation’s “Bills under debate” section. To query a new RP law’s legality a user should post on the RP Law Query Thread.
ii.To overturn or abolish an RP law you must pass a bill with a simple majority which explicitly mentions which law you are scrapping and provides a link to the original law. You should then post a link to the bill on the RP Law Dismissal Thread.
iii.An RP law must not contradict game mechanics or the game rules, or force users to act a certain way OOC. Additionally they cannot ban types of parties (without considerable RP justification) or users. RP Laws must also not force users to vote in a particular way.
iv.Moderation reserves the right to declare any RP law invalid in exceptional circumstances.
Me pinguem et nitidum bene curata cute vises,
Cum ridere voles, Epicuri de grege porcum
Polites

Re: RP Law Query Thread

Postby stuntmonkey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:44 pm

This is not about a specific RP law's legality but can you clarify something for me in regards to the legality of constitutional RP laws.

It states in point (i) above that in order to pass, a constitutional RP law requires a 2/3s majority of seats in the legislature.

However, in point (ii) it states that to overturn or abolish an RP law you must pass a bill with a simple majority. Does this simple majority apply for overturning constitutional RP laws too? Or do you actually require a 2/3s majority to make that kind of change?

Thanks in advance.
“I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”

― AES II

Current party - Haruzuterēchisuku Refonpātī
stuntmonkey

Postby Polites » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:18 am

A simple majority is enough to overturn any RP law. The idea is that RP laws should be hard to introduce and easy to repeal.
Me pinguem et nitidum bene curata cute vises,
Cum ridere voles, Epicuri de grege porcum
Polites

Postby Bachelot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:57 am

Polites wrote:A simple majority is enough to overturn any RP law. The idea is that RP laws should be hard to introduce and easy to repeal.

If you're passing a law to abolish a constitutional RP law, then you're not just abolishing a law, you're changing the nation's actual constitutional arrangement. Shouldn't that generally require a 2/3rds constitutional majority?

Also, abolishing a RP law is hardly hassle-free, because to do that (besides registering on the forum, which not everyone does) you have to go to the trouble of posting it on the RP Law Dismissal thread (which I can't honestly see the point of...).
Bachelot

Postby FPC » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:12 pm

Bachelot wrote:
Polites wrote:A simple majority is enough to overturn any RP law. The idea is that RP laws should be hard to introduce and easy to repeal.

If you're passing a law to abolish a constitutional RP law, then you're not just abolishing a law, you're changing the nation's actual constitutional arrangement. Shouldn't that generally require a 2/3rds constitutional majority?

Also, abolishing a RP law is hardly hassle-free, because to do that (besides registering on the forum, which not everyone does) you have to go to the trouble of posting it on the RP Law Dismissal thread (which I can't honestly see the point of...).

You make a good point about the procedure for overturning constitutional laws, and it's something we will look in to. A problem with constitutional laws requiring a two-thirds majority is that it may occasionally be hard to determine what is a regular RP law and what is a constitutional law. But I will certainly have a think about this.

Secondly, we ask users to post on the dismissal thread for two reasons. 1- So that detailed and inventive RP laws that have had loads of work put into them do not get repealed without a second thought. 2- So that there is concrete evidence of what laws are active ie.if a player says "that law isn't valid as we repealed it" Moderation could look on the dismissal thread and check to see if the law had been repealed, basically it's just extra evidence which makes everyone's lives easier in the long run.
Particracy Moderation
Wiki Admin and Bureaucrat (for some reason)
FPC

Return to Game Moderation