Spying

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Re: Spying

Postby GreekIdiot » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Opakidabar wrote:Like person A says OOC that he wants to start world war or add some fire to Terra. Now some people IC act as if he is warmonger. Despite the fact that IC he said nothing about that intention be it secretly or publicly. That is what I call poor RP.

I think that's the reason why some don't like my participation in the Saiser's trial. I wholeheartedly and OOCly admit it. I want to begin the greatest war and conspiracy plots in the history of Terra.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby AngryMollusc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Heh. Is this is related to the whole Axis Internal Security blah business? Anyway, I'm in favor of spying as a rule. Makes things more... interesting.
AngryMollusc

Postby Eldascar » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 pm

AngryMollusc wrote:Heh. Is this is related to the whole Axis Internal Security blah business? Anyway, I'm in favor of spying as a rule. Makes things more... interesting.
It would be proper to have rules for spying though.
Eldascar

Postby AngryMollusc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Eldascar wrote:
AngryMollusc wrote:Heh. Is this is related to the whole Axis Internal Security blah business? Anyway, I'm in favor of spying as a rule. Makes things more... interesting.
It would be proper to have rules for spying though.
Yeah. There probably should be some consensus on RP involving such intel. Personally, I say that if you've managed to compromise their secrecy OOC, its not unreasonably to assume they are compromised IC as well.
AngryMollusc

Postby Darvian » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:02 am

Not quite but, you are very close! :twisted:

I'm glad to see a general consensus on this issue...

As George said, he's got spies about everywhere. No doubt every other organization that's half-serious does the same thing. In fact, I know some of them do. The whole cloak and dagger in between international organizations is very alive and well. I can't see an argument at all that would say if an active party joined a rival organization under a cloak of disguise to spy on said organization it's wrong or against the rules-its simply good role-play and a smart tactic. It's the organizations fault if they can't figure out who it is. It's really pathetic when you try and make a deal with a leader of an organization you've got a spy in to out the spy but, the leader won't accept for lord only knows what reasons.

I think if you allow them in, don't catch them and the other side is actively spying for in-game purposes I can not see a problem with it. Now, there was an issue raised between Eldascar and myself a long time ago which someone in this thread brought up. The issue of inactive parties spying. I depart company with some of you on this, as Eldascar very well knows. While it may be OK to do, rules-wise; I'm absolutely against doing it and would never do it period. I think it's too cheap and just too dirty. Now, that's just my opinion though on inactive spies/parties. There is nothing stopping every other org in this game in trying to get spies in every other org. I honestly can't help you if you as a leader of an organization find fault with this versus taking advantage of it.

As far as defined rules, this game needs a lot of rules more fine-tuned and the issue of spying is hardly a paramount issue. Now it may be to Eldascar, hell I'll concede that but, at large it's not. As well with the overwhelming support of the notion that spying by (active) parties is above-board, I see no reason for rules. If you want rules on this, keep your organization's members tight-lipped and play the game of intrigue too. Fair enough to me, I say. Part of my daily routine is cross-referencing various parties in orgs to which I belong just keeping tabs on their organizational memberships. If I can do that, so can everyone else. Glad to see this issue resolved.
Last edited by Darvian on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darvian

Postby GreekIdiot » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:41 am

Darvian wrote:The issue of inactive parties spying. I depart company with some of you on this, as Eldascar very well knows. While it may be OK to do, rules-wise; I'm absolutely against doing it and would never do it period. I think it's too cheap and just too dirty. Now, that's just my opinion though on inactive spies/parties. There is nothing stopping every other org in this game in trying to get spies in every other org. I honestly can't help you if you as a leader of an organization find fault with this versus taking advantage of it.

Not to mention indescribably boring for some...

If you can't figure out who's spying on you, it's not the game's fault. So long as inactive parties are out of use. I mean come on, people can't be that greedy in a bloody game.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Eldascar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:05 am

George S.K wrote:Not to mention indescribably boring for some...

If you can't figure out who's spying on you, it's not the game's fault. So long as inactive parties are out of use. I mean come on, people can't be that greedy in a bloody game.
I merely object to the current claims from what I have heard. To point out, I was under the assumption for a good while that some people considered that the posts on organizations boards were exclusively IC, unless otherwise stated.

Yet, I also wish to point out that there should be a courteous respect in the manner; such as not using inactive parties for spying, do not use OOC knowledge gained for IC justifications, etc.
Eldascar

Postby Mr.Yankees » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:18 am

Eldascar wrote:
George S.K wrote:Not to mention indescribably boring for some...

I merely object to the current claims from what I have heard. To point out, I was under the assumption for a good while that some people considered that the posts on organizations boards were exclusively IC, unless otherwise stated.

Yet, I also wish to point out that there should be a courteous respect in the manner; such as not using inactive parties for spying, do not use OOC knowledge gained for IC justifications, etc.

I think courteous respect was thrown out of the window a long time ago in this game. Very few players still are courteous in this game. Unless otherwise indicated, any and all comments are IC. I do see your point about using OOC knowledge to justify IC roleplay but understand that people will then use all OOC to "avoid" spies. So, what's the point of not allowing OOC to be used IC? That would pretty much not allow spying. May as well ban spying IC and OOC.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Opakidabar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:21 am

George S.K wrote:So long as inactive parties are out of use.

Now tell me, what is wrong with inactive parties?
You mean inactive parties in organizations or inactive parties on national message board or several inactive parties joining secret organization and discussing stuff?
Opakidabar

Postby AngryMollusc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:05 pm

I actually quite like using inactive parties. Yes, it's a pain when people use them to read organisation message boards (more so nation ones, since it can't be prevented but then they rarely contain much interesting information anyway) and so on, but equally they're great for, for example disguising membership of an organisation or posting anonymously .
AngryMollusc

PreviousNext

Return to Archive