Spying

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Spying

Postby Eldascar » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:43 am

How far can knowledge against spying on another organization's message board contribute to IC knowledge?
Eldascar

Re: Spying

Postby Cold » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:00 am

I, for one, think spies are perfectly fine, and a great element for roleplay. For instance, my blatant spy in Nova Terra has been quite useful. :P
Cold

Postby Eldascar » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Cold wrote:I, for one, think spies are perfectly fine, and a great element for roleplay. For instance, my blatant spy in Nova Terra has been quite useful. :P
The thing is I see them as being quite capable to contribute to OOC knowledge and being used to plan things, but should not be used directly for IC play. Such as using knowledge gained from spies to openly justify an invansion. Of course, since when has that ever stopped any of us from starting a war? :D

I know that a couple of have a spy, as it has got a couple of people preparing for invasions which are not coming. :lol:
Eldascar

Postby Mr.Yankees » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:34 am

I don't see anything wrong with using info gathered from spies in IC roleplay. As Cold said, it contributes to the roleplay.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby JuliaAJA » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:01 am

I agree, I just don't know how to spy.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby AdJeCtIv3 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:28 am

My opinion would be that spying (via inactive parties) would be OK, provided that players in the nation being spied on were advised, and consented prior to any information being used. Just spying without informing those being 'spied' OOC upon is RP without the consent of all involved.

The other way this could be done would be if an active party in the nation being spied upon were to pass information on. I wouldn't see a problem with it being done this way.

Anyway, I would like some input from other mods and players regarding this before a final decision (yes, to both protagonists I did get your PM's. Consider this my inital response).
I AM NOT A Image ANY MORE!!
AdJeCtIv3

Postby Mr.Yankees » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:46 am

AdJeCtIv3 wrote:My opinion would be that spying (via inactive parties) would be OK, provided that players in the nation being spied on were advised, and consented prior to any information being used. Just spying without informing those being 'spied' OOC upon is RP without the consent of all involved.

The other way this could be done would be if an active party in the nation being spied upon were to pass information on. I wouldn't see a problem with it being done this way.

Anyway, I would like some input from other mods and players regarding this before a final decision (yes, to both protagonists I did get your PM's. Consider this my inital response).

AdJeCtIv3, if the players being spied upon are informed, then it's no longer espionage. Eldascar is most likely referring to an organization being spied upon. Please correct me if I am wrong. I'm going to base my opinion on that presumptive fact. If a party (with the purpose of spying) is allowed to enter an organization.organization page as a full member, that itself would be considered consent from the other players in the organization. The fact that he/she is allowed to partake in the RP of the organization is consent at its best. Now, if this member's intentions is to spy or he/she decides to turn against the organization, I guess you could consider that bad luck. The members of the organization should be responsible for properly vetting their prospective members.

The issue of whether the info gathered can used is very simply. Since allowing full membership into an organization is consent by other players for that person to enter into RP with them, then any info gathered is fair game. Any info gathered whether IC or OOC is all with consent, why shouldn't it be used. All members of organizations should be aware of the possibility of spies. Also, spying happens in the real world at all times, it shouldn't be different in this game. After all, we try to recreate the real life here in Particracy, correct?

Those are my two cents right there. Hope it helps somehow. It would certainly be a shame if spying was not allowed. It adds another level to the RP.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby AdJeCtIv3 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:55 am

I didn't realise we were talking organisation here, but my previous comments can easily be adapted.

If an active member is spying, I really have no issue. I am sure I could find some Deltarianesque precedent to allow it, and as you rightly say, organisations have the option of vetting members.
I AM NOT A Image ANY MORE!!
AdJeCtIv3

Postby GreekIdiot » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:35 pm

AdJeCtIv3 wrote:If an active member is spying, I really have no issue. I am sure I could find some Deltarianesque precedent to allow it, and as you rightly say, organisations have the option of vetting members.

That's my opinion as well. Hell, you made the spy your org's member. And I have a bunch of them running around all over Terra and I am so proud about it... :lol: Aaaah, back to reality. Anyway, I am against using inactive parties for the purpose of spying within the grounds of IC purposes.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Opakidabar » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:00 pm

According to real world anything known to three persons is known to the world. No objections to spying in general. Using actives/inactives, whatever. In RP it can easily be explained by spies/double agents/whatever.
ONly issue I have is using true OOC information to impact IC decisions. Like person A says OOC that he wants to start world war or add some fire to Terra. Now some people IC act as if he is warmonger. Despite the fact that IC he said nothing about that intention be it secretly or publicly. That is what I call poor RP.
Opakidabar

Next

Return to Archive