Spying

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Re: Spying

Postby Darvian » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:42 pm

I could be entirely wrong but, I do not believe inactive parties can post in bills or organizations they can however, post on the nations page. Now I subject myself to fact-checking on this item but, I know of one example where an inactive party was posting in their host nations page and the moderators intervened stating this was against the rules. I repeat, I subject myself to fact-checking on the last statement. Though in respect to inactive parties being used solely for purposes of spying, which is the more pertinent issue at hand given the context of the thread I second or third George's comments on mine. I find the use of inactive parties being used solely as spies or being used as a means to have a placeholder on an organization to be rather well, I wouldn't do it and while hard to enforce I think it ought be reported if suspected for the moderation team to investigate.

I don't think we need "rules" set down as such on spying. It's a part of this game after all. Each organization and nation has the right to engage in the cloak and dagger intrigues of spying or gaining information if they want. The logic that because one party, organization or nation is doing it and another isn't is hardly grounds to call for a ruling on this. There is a clear consensus from what I've read in this thread on the specific issue of active-parties spying to whatever capacity. The PM issue seems resolved as well. Anything after that is really splitting hairs.
Darvian

Postby AngryMollusc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Actually, I can testify from personal experience that inactive parties can post in both organisation pages and bills. Apart from that, I don't think there's anything there I disagree with.
AngryMollusc

Postby Darvian » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:58 pm

AngryMollusc wrote:Actually, I can testify from personal experience that inactive parties can post in both organisation pages and bills. Apart from that, I don't think there's anything there I disagree with.

I stand corrected. Thank you. :D
Darvian

Postby Eldascar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:14 pm

There also different styles of spying. But, when spying you must be able to distinguish between what should be IC and OOC knowledge.
Eldascar

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:30 am

Eldascar wrote:There also different styles of spying. But, when spying you must be able to distinguish between what should be IC and OOC knowledge.

And during times like these, when everyone suspects everyone (like the freakin' cold war), it is highly important to value such quotes and follow them by heart.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Sam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:18 am

If I can boot every leader out of the AAT for no reason other then me being Deltarian and the mods are okay with it, I really don't see how spying is a problem.
"The FSB finally caught him for talking shit about replacing Putin with this "Saiser" character. I'm guessing they're up to his seventh toenail by now."
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Postby AdJeCtIv3 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:10 am

I'd rather not see formalised rules for spying as:

1. The rules would probably cover the prohibition of info gathered via inactives. There is simply no way to police this. Can you imagine the debates and accusations that could never be resolved ?
2. Moderation would be playing around with RP violations more than what I would like.
3. Surely you guys are smart enough to establish ground rules on this issue PRIOR to an RP happening, or failing that, gaining consent during RP.

I can appreciate the fact the a formal structure via rules would spell it out so everyone knows the 'boundaries' as to what is acceptable.

Having thought about this a bit more, here's what my conclusions are thus far:

1. Spying is permitted by active parties. In any 'real-life' organisation or nation there is an implied risk of security every time a new party is added. There is of course no reason to prevent information from being passed on to other interested parties.

2. Spying by inactive parties in ORGANISATIONS is not something we can police, but I'm against it. There is no 'real life' capacity for "past members" to spy on active sittings. In short, look but don't employ the info.

3. Spying on NATION forums was something I initially thought might be fine, particularly as all parties can see the contents of debate bills under consideration and that ostensibly most government debates are on the public record , however there is an element of unfairness here. Just because there is a veteran player that has inactive accounts scattered around Terra and uses them to see the nation forum doesn't make fair to new party that does not have access to this information. Specifically excluded from this are individual bills that anyone can see - but as this is a 'public record' anyway it's not really spying.

Finally I stress none of these are formalised rules, just suggestions, and I don't want to go down that path. One thing I have learned is that nothing kills fun like too many rules.
I AM NOT A Image ANY MORE!!
AdJeCtIv3

Previous

Return to Archive