Requests: General [A]

Submit your requests on various areas of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Questions & Requests

Postby Amazeroth » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:03 pm

LukeinNE wrote:
Amazeroth wrote:
LukeinNE wrote:Just a question resulting from the name request thread:
A minority royal family per se is not a problem. But how would you explain them being able to remake the country in their image? Especially if it goes as far as changing the language to something only 3% would be able to speak? The RP could be interesting, but such a royal family could not just appear over night and change the country in one go. (Also, there are close to none RL examples of such a language change, at least I wouldn't know of any).

I'll attempt to answer your challenges and if they don't convince you, we'll do something a little different.

Where did the Royal Family come from?
The existing cultural protocols state that there's a Dundorfian minority due to a history of colonialism. These people would come from that legacy.

How would they have the power to do this?
As in many countries that were once under colonial rule, the Dundorfian minority represents much of the upper class (note: the current cultural protocol mentions nothing about this either way, but the new one will) and is therefore wealthier and better educated than the general populace. Additionally, the fall of the Communist government in Malivia is drawing thousands of Dundorfians back to Malivia now that a sympathetic (perhaps bought and paid for?) government has been seated. Finally, I'd point out that each 24 hour period represents 6 months of game time, and that the pro-monarchy government has now been in power for a little over 4 years, and with no opposition, will likely stay there much longer than that.

The Dundorfians might well be part of the upper class (although that's rather unlikely after centuries of Malivian God-kings, sects, and last communists ruled over them - they really should have just barely survived all that, and not been able to retain all their wealth), but the colonial times were several centuries ago, so there wouldn't be a direct continuity for a rule not only by Dundorfians, but by Dundorfians powerful enough to make the country itself Dundorfian as well. They are, after all, dealing with a culture that has now been independent for centuries, and couldn't be displaced by the colonialists in the first place.

What about that language thing?
I should have worded this section differently. The end goal is the same, but schools, government agencies etc, would remain thoroughly bilingual during the transition period, but the schools would shift their emphasis from Malay to Dundorfian, much like in many American schools, bilingual teachers are required to educate Hispanic students, but the end goal is to make them competent in English and therefore better-functioning citizens in their country. European countries have achieved widespread multi-linguality through their education systems, this idea just has the added nasty twist of displacing the indigenous culture over time.

The problem is not with multi-linguality, but with the twist of displacing indigenous culture. Such a feat would only be imaginable if it went together with genocide and totalitarianism, and even then, you'd have to work hard to find examples of such a (successful) undertaking in RL. I highly doubt that any of the South American countries would ever even try to convert their culture to an English/North American one. And as for India and South-East Asia, which are the RL counterparts for Malivia, the situation would be even more unlikely.

I don't object, at all, to a Dundorfian royal family. I don't object to a resurgence of Dundorfian upper-class - it stands to reason, that the Dundorfian minority would get extra benefits. But a complete cultural conversion from Malivian to Dundorfian, language included, is completely unrealistic - at least without a few hundred years of RP behind it. The only other way this would be possible is by totalitarian means, and then it would usually just mean that Dundorfian becomes the official language, but Malivian wouldn't disappear.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Darky57 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm going to post it here:

Our King is starting to get fairly old and I was wondering if the moderators would be willing to rename him, and if so what do I need to do to make this happen?

-----------------------------------------------
OT from my request but reading through the previous posts I found it curious that you mentioned South America as an example of the impracticality of total cultural conversion. I think Latin America is a prime example of significant, if not complete, displacement of the native culture for one of the Spanish/Portuguese. Two other good examples would be Egypt and Iran and the displacement of their native cultures with those of Arabic and Muslim influence.
Darky57

Postby Amazeroth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:58 pm

Darky57 wrote:I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm going to post it here:

Our King is starting to get fairly old and I was wondering if the moderators would be willing to rename him, and if so what do I need to do to make this happen?

That is not something moderators can do, you'll have to do it yourself by either voting for a new king with another name (which includes changing the system to a republic, voting in the new king, and then changing it back), or, if you've adopted the system where the king's name is in the title, changing the title.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby CCP » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:23 pm

I recently created a new user account at particracy.net. Every time I load a page, a java app tries to load. Is this particracy's advertisement app? The app never tried to load on my other account. Is that because my other account is a donor account? If so, can you make my new account a donor account so this app doesn't load?

New Account: http://classic.particracy.net/viewuser.php?userid=21065

Old Account: http://classic.particracy.net/viewuser.php?userid=805
Last edited by CCP on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby Zanz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:25 pm

CCP wrote:I recently created a new user account at particracy.net. Every time I load a page, a java app tries to load. Is this particracy's advertisement app? The app tried to load on my other account. Is that because my other account is a donor account? If so, can you make my new account a donor account so this app doesn't load?

This is likely Particracy trying to run Plura Processing, which is an applet that uses unused memory on computers through the web to compute complicated things, essentially. It makes some money for Wouter if you leave it on. You can choose to turn it off though, if it bothers you. Go to your User Page and it is the first thing under User Options. If this doesn't solve the issue I'll leave it to someone else, not sure what else it could be.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby CCP » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:16 am

Zanz wrote:
CCP wrote:I recently created a new user account at particracy.net. Every time I load a page, a java app tries to load. Is this particracy's advertisement app? The app tried to load on my other account. Is that because my other account is a donor account? If so, can you make my new account a donor account so this app doesn't load?

This is likely Particracy trying to run Plura Processing, which is an applet that uses unused memory on computers through the web to compute complicated things, essentially. It makes some money for Wouter if you leave it on. You can choose to turn it off though, if it bothers you. Go to your User Page and it is the first thing under User Options. If this doesn't solve the issue I'll leave it to someone else, not sure what else it could be.

I'll try that. Thanks.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Based on Moderation's perspective on this, do comments on this bill count as breaking the law?

Note, in Lodamun...
- The Government policy concerning religions is that "There is an official state religion, and membership is mandatory."
- The Government's position towards the administration of law is that "There are no courts, the Head of State will determine what's right or wrong."
- The government's policy regarding regulation of media content says that "It is forbidden to criticize the government, or publish any material that the government does not approve of."
- The law on State penalties for blasphemy is that "Both Private and Public Blasphemy are considered grave offenses, and are heavily prosecuted."
- The law on Parliamentary Privilege states that "Members of the national legislative body are exempted from any civil or criminal liability fot their speech or actions, but this immunity can be overruled by a vote in the nation's legislative body."
- The Government policy with respect to the death penalty is that "Religious doctrine determines the death penalty."

--

Wouldn't it be unfair for his characters to be breaking the law without realistic consequences? Do we need unanimous consent (including his) for there to be RP about his party breaking the law? If his party is going to RP as openly breaking the law, realistic RP would mean his characters would face consequences. Wouldn't it be god-moding if he refused to allow his characters to face consequences?
The articles, in the bill itself, don't break the law. I think the comments break the law.
The pro-religion parties aren't god-moding. There is an easy way to get out of the official mandatory religion that Lodamun has, without having unrealistic RP... Propose a bill to make it that "There is an official state religion, but membership is completely voluntary" (to avoid blasphemy) then abolish blasphemy laws, then abolish the state religion. Moving from one extreme to the next is totally unrealistic in this case, especially since other laws cut down foreign influence that would counter the state's heavy indoctrination of children into Lodamese Nationalism. This isn't what I'm complaining about, though. I have a slight problem with it being unrealistic to propose such legislation, but my real problem is with the comments made by characters of the Allied Humanists.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Amazeroth » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:14 am

Siggon Kristov wrote:Based on Moderation's perspective on this, do comments on this bill count as breaking the law?

Note, in Lodamun...
- The Government policy concerning religions is that "There is an official state religion, and membership is mandatory."
- The Government's position towards the administration of law is that "There are no courts, the Head of State will determine what's right or wrong."
- The government's policy regarding regulation of media content says that "It is forbidden to criticize the government, or publish any material that the government does not approve of."
- The law on State penalties for blasphemy is that "Both Private and Public Blasphemy are considered grave offenses, and are heavily prosecuted."
- The law on Parliamentary Privilege states that "Members of the national legislative body are exempted from any civil or criminal liability fot their speech or actions, but this immunity can be overruled by a vote in the nation's legislative body."
- The Government policy with respect to the death penalty is that "Religious doctrine determines the death penalty."

--

Wouldn't it be unfair for his characters to be breaking the law without realistic consequences? Do we need unanimous consent (including his) for there to be RP about his party breaking the law? If his party is going to RP as openly breaking the law, realistic RP would mean his characters would face consequences. Wouldn't it be god-moding if he refused to allow his characters to face consequences?
The articles, in the bill itself, don't break the law. I think the comments break the law.
The pro-religion parties aren't god-moding. There is an easy way to get out of the official mandatory religion that Lodamun has, without having unrealistic RP... Propose a bill to make it that "There is an official state religion, but membership is completely voluntary" (to avoid blasphemy) then abolish blasphemy laws, then abolish the state religion. Moving from one extreme to the next is totally unrealistic in this case, especially since other laws cut down foreign influence that would counter the state's heavy indoctrination of children into Lodamese Nationalism. This isn't what I'm complaining about, though. I have a slight problem with it being unrealistic to propose such legislation, but my real problem is with the comments made by characters of the Allied Humanists.

Since the offending party is gone now, this is just theoretical, but for the sake of making things clear:

In order to punish the character making the comments, you'd just need a vote in the nation's legilative body, as the law on immunity states, in order to take that immunity away. Then this character would be open for prosecution, which, since the HoS is the only judge, should be swiftly leading to execution, based on the rest of the laws (if it is, indeed, blasphemy, which rests entirely on the way that religion defines blasphemy). What doesn't really enter into this is the law about media content, since it applies to the media, and not to the individual making the forbidden statement.
Amazeroth

Postby DBlackie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi I sent a PM to you about two accounts that I don't know how to deactivate, would you be able to deactivate them?
DBlackie

Postby Amazeroth » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:47 pm

Done
Amazeroth

PreviousNext

Return to Requests