Discussion on Party Sitting and Characters(Split from Q/R)

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Discussion on Party Sitting and Characters(Split from Q/R)

Postby Edmund » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:28 am

I'm personally a fan of inactivating parties that don't give a damn about the cultural protocols in say Jelbania, for instance.
Edmund

Re: Questions & Requests

Postby Auditorii » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:19 pm

I don't think this is a discussion area!
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Occam » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:45 pm

cm9777 wrote:
House Spencer wrote:The other party in Jelbania doesn't comment on any bills. Can he be closed down for that?

Sounds harsh. I'd rather we just got rid of the dictator tactics like limiting proposal quota

Obviously as the player of the party In question I would sound biased (maybe someone else should deal with this but I’ll do what I can).

Hi,

as someone with no ties to Jelbania and no ties to Moderation, here is my view.

cm9777 proposed several bills in the last few days:
http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=575965
http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=576058
http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=576090
The last two of these are RP-Bills. Those count much more than game-mechanics laws, when it comes to measuring (in)activity.

He also posted several stories in the Jelbanian Forum Newspaper:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2490&p=136980#p136980

cm9777 may not be the most active player right now, but he is still more active than most. So, no, there is no basis for deactivating him for inactivity or party-sitting.

Regards,
Occam

Edit: This is not the place for it, but since Edmund brought it up. Jelbania is culturally protected. So, House Spencer, if you want to use English (or other none CP language) names, you have to give a good role-play reason. You could, for example, play the Spencer family as foreign or foreign born.
Permanently gone.
Occam

Postby Auditorii » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:45 pm

I really think this thread should be split off and users who continue to violate the overall spirit of the thread warned.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby House Spencer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:29 pm

I don't want him deactivated, I just want to know what the rule means.

I read the rules, there is nothing to say I can't have English names. But yeah, as you say, my party is an English family settled in Jelbania.
House Spencer

Postby Occam » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:54 pm

House Spencer wrote:I read the rules, there is nothing to say I can't have English names. But yeah, as you say, my party is an English family settled in Jelbania.

Actually they do, albeit indirectly. Here's rule 6m:
A nation can determine its culture using Cultural Protocols. These documents describe in detail the cultural (ie. ethnic, religious, linguistic….) makeup of each nation. If a nation has a Cultural Protocol it means it is "Culturally Protected" and bound by this section of the rules, whilst others are "Culturally Open" and are not. The Cultural Protocols Index should be consulted for more information about the cultural situation of each nation.

Jelbania has a Cultural Protocol. According to this the ethnic makeup of Jelbania is as follows:
~Percentages of the Population~
71% Jelbic
---65% Jelbék
------36% Jeztaghényr Jelbék (Settled Jelbék)
------29% Jeztaghé Jelbék (Steppe Jelbék)
---5% Wrnukék
---1% Brmék
12% Deltarians
7% Majatrans
4% Augustan
3% Jelbanien
3% Other

Therefore only a very small portion of Jelbanians are potentially English-speaking: 3% Jelbanien, which is described as "English or French-speaking White Europeans", and 3% Other. So realistically (probably much) less than 6% of Jelbanians will have English names.

Regards,
Occam
Permanently gone.
Occam

Postby House Spencer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:02 pm

Not challenging the census data, but 6m says nothing about how I name my party and my politicians.
House Spencer

Re: Discussion on Party Sitting and Characters(Split from Q/R)

Postby cm9777 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:08 am

-
Last edited by cm9777 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cm9777

Postby House Spencer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:06 pm

All of my main politicians have English names because they are from the immigrant Spencer family, which is English. I see no rule which says this is not allowed. But over the generations the family will start to have some Jelbic first names, probably.
House Spencer

Postby Occam » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:06 pm

House Spencer wrote:All of my main politicians have English names because they are from the immigrant Spencer family, which is English. I see no rule which says this is not allowed. But over the generations the family will start to have some Jelbic first names, probably.

But you need to make this explicit through Role-Play. Add more information to your party description, write some news articles on the matter, etc. For example:
Where does the Spencer family come from?
Why did they come to Jelbania?
Does "House Spencer" imply that they are of noble descent? Or if not, that they want to establish themselves as nobility in Jelbania?

Regards,
Occam
Permanently gone.
Occam

Next

Return to Archive