Militarisation of space in RP

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Militarisation of space in RP

Postby Aquinas » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:56 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7351&p=172782#p172779

jrandle8 wrote:Image
News of Tomorrow: A Look into Space
September 4921
PROJECT 420, 911 APPROVED BY PRIME MINISTER, IMC WORKS WITH YSA TO MILITARIZE SPACE
Multi-decade projects finally see light of day as Prime Minister seeks to make Son of Heaven's dreams become a reality

A project on the books since the 4700s has finally made its way to the Prime Minister’s desk. Project 420 and Project 911 are two space related projects that were in the planning phase back in the 4850s when then-Prime Minister Fu Yu Jun stated his interest in militarizing space. The projects ultimately were denied in the 4880’s under pacifist laws, however, the project did not die and stayed in the research and development phase until now. P420 and P911 both made it to the desk of Prime Minister Wu Guiying after receiving clearance from Minister of Science and Technology, Yulu Cuyan, Minister of Defense, Wu Zhihao, and Yingdalan Space Agency Commissioner, Yi Xian. Here’s an overview of those two projects:

Project 420 (or P420) is a space military program with the sole purpose of placing offensive military weapons in space. While Yingdala has an unfavorable view when it comes to militarizing space, the nation has worked to enhance its space capabilities in areas of intelligence, cybersecurity, mass communication, and surveillance. Even though the space program has been dormant for some time, the agency has always remained active in retrospect to the increasing government policies on surveillance. Back when Yingdalan officials first began to pay attention to the space program again, the YSA and Da Tian Inc., (Luthorian: Great Space, Inc.) formed a partnership to launch communications satellites. Ever since then, Yingdala has had a leg up in space communication satellites that in turn enhanced government mass surveillance capabilities.

This project, while maintaining a partnership between the YSA and Da Tian, Inc., will now include defense contractor Bo-Wu Company and aerospace manufacturer Asvald Gruppen Indrala. This partnership will find ways to allow weapons to be stationed in space, whether on a moon or in orbit. Currently, P420 features two main weapons: guided missiles and orbital kinetic rods. Guided missile satellites are said to be launched in the next year or so.

Kinetic orbital rod, also known as the “Heavenly Rods”

While nuclear warheads in space was floated around, Emperor Yu and the Crown Prince has both expressed dissatisfaction in that proposal and immediately shot it down stating that placing nuclear missiles in space not only go against the IANN treaty and World Congress resolutions on the matter, but it would leave an immoral stain on Yingdala’s history in the eyes of the international community. The project will begin to test Heavenly Rods by 4930 when a satellite spacecraft is capable enough to lift it into orbit. However, scientist are warning the IMC to be cautious in using the Heavenly Rods for two reasons: 1) the rods are unguided pieces of metal and could miss its target by a long shot, and 2) the impact of these rods are said to have an impact that is 3x the amount of dropping a nuclear missile. That’s where Project 911 comes into play.

Project 911 (or P911) is a space military program with the sole purpose of defending against any space-related attack, including aerial attacks. As mentioned previously, the Heavenly Rods are simply pieces of large metal that fall out of the sky and land on a target, however, since its not mechanized or guided, those targets can change drastically and must be countered from hitting a city or being close to killing civilians.

P911 will focus on upgrading the already established anti-satellite missiles and other aero-defense systems. Currently in the development phase is a hypersonic defense system capable of reaching from Tian’an to Hungermess in approximately 30 minutes, saving time and lives. The YSA and IMC are looking at Air-Launched Rapid Response Weapon (ARRW), Intermediate Range Conventional Prompt Strike (IRCPS), and Long-Range Hypersonic Weapon (LRHW). These systems will enhance Yingdalan defense capabilities against air attacks.

The budgets for both projects are said to equal around ¥1.3 trillion INS, however, access to that information has remained classified for “national security”. Sources close by say that the budget is actually higher than what we’re being told, but again we do not have those details. Prime Minister Wu Guiying is expected to include P420 and P911 in the next five-year plan after the election in 4924.

I notice there is a RP in Yindala about the development of space-based weapons. Whilst I have no doubt Jack is acting in good faith, and I acknowledge there would appear to be no current rule he is obviously breaking, I would personally recommend Moderation should draw a line when it comes to the militarisation of space, on the grounds that it is a little too close to the cutting edge of real-life technological developments. My suggestion would be either Jack retcons the post, or he leaves the post in place but on a "this far and no further" basis. ie. On an understanding that researching/developing space-based weapons is just about okay, but actually getting to the final stage and deploying them etc. is off-limits.

Now for a little OOC history... I can confirm section 5.9 of the previous Game Rules included a prohibition of "References that seem to belong to the world of fantasy, science fiction and futuristic speculation", and that as the writer of that rule and the Moderator at that time, I considered that to include space-based weapons.

Another point that may be of interest is that, as some of you who are ancient enough may remember, there was an incident involving space-based weapons in Alduria back in 2014, which I was involved with myself to some degree, and Moderation at the time ruled that that RP should be stopped.
Aquinas

Re: Militarisation of space in RP

Postby jellybean » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:02 am

Aquinas wrote:My suggestion would be either Jack retcons the post, or he leaves the post in place but on a "this far and no further" basis. ie. On an understanding that researching/developing space-based weapons is just about okay, but actually getting to the final stage and deploying them etc. is off-limits.

As you have pointed out, Yingdala has not actually developed space weapons, but is simply planning to build them. In my opinion, discussing constructing space weapons is a reasonable response to suddenly heightened international aggression. Jack's post also provides opportunities for collaborative role play focused on international reactions to this development and the practical difficulties of actually building orbital weapons (which was already mentioned in the post). For that reason, I would dislike seeing this post retconned.

I certainly would not like to see space weapons in Particracy, but I think a nation discussing such weapons is reasonable and potentially interesting. If Jack's intention is to truly deploy space weapons, that would be one thing; but without further information, I am assuming he is not intending to actually launch them.
jellybean

Postby Aquinas » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:07 am

jellybean wrote:
Aquinas wrote:My suggestion would be either Jack retcons the post, or he leaves the post in place but on a "this far and no further" basis. ie. On an understanding that researching/developing space-based weapons is just about okay, but actually getting to the final stage and deploying them etc. is off-limits.

As you have pointed out, Yingdala has not actually developed space weapons, but is simply planning to build them. In my opinion, discussing constructing space weapons is a reasonable response to suddenly heightened international aggression. Jack's post also provides opportunities for collaborative role play focused on international reactions to this development and the practical difficulties of actually building orbital weapons (which was already mentioned in the post). For that reason, I would dislike seeing this post retconned.

I certainly would not like to see space weapons in Particracy, but I think a nation discussing such weapons is reasonable and potentially interesting. If Jack's intention is to truly deploy space weapons, that would be one thing; but without further information, I am assuming he is not intending to actually launch them.

Yup, and I would be on board with this approach.
Aquinas

Postby colonelvesica » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:00 pm

Aquinas wrote:
jellybean wrote:

Yup, and I would be on board with this approach.

I am discussing this with Chitin, but I'll note that this is the approach that I'm advising Moderation take. The theory is fine, the final application is not.
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Auditorii » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:26 pm

There have been several attempts by people to RP militarized weapons in space and while I think the RP itself can be good and fun; I think they should ultimately fail in development or very early prototype phase. I think from everything we know in the real world the weaponization and militarization of space is still far off, while I think some nations will attempt or potentially even have weapons/weapon systems in space, nothing can really be confirmed. Keeping that in mind, I'd say that Moderation makes a sort of "blanket" rule that the militarization of space can actively be RP'd in the sense that countries can discuss it and try for it, but ultimately it always seems to fail.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby King William IV » Sat May 21, 2022 5:02 pm

THE GOVERNMENT OF DUNDORF HAS INITIATED THE FIRST DUNDORFIAN SPACE PROGRAM EVER

The government of Dundorf has incorporated the first Dundorfian space agency, the Dundorfian Agency of Space, or DAS for short. More information about the DAS will be released soon.

I am proud to announce that our great nation, the nation of Dundorf, has established it's very own space agency. Dundorf will be a power to rival in this great new era of space exploration.

-Königsführer William R. Coburn
Reichssozialist Partei RSP (5107-5220, 5292-present) - Dundorf
Þjóðarbandalagið Tælmörks (5289-5292) - Telamon
various others (various) - various, including Kalopia, Trigunia, and Selucia
King William IV

Postby Auditorii » Thu May 26, 2022 3:18 pm

King William IV wrote:THE GOVERNMENT OF DUNDORF HAS INITIATED THE FIRST DUNDORFIAN SPACE PROGRAM EVER

The government of Dundorf has incorporated the first Dundorfian space agency, the Dundorfian Agency of Space, or DAS for short. More information about the DAS will be released soon.

I am proud to announce that our great nation, the nation of Dundorf, has established it's very own space agency. Dundorf will be a power to rival in this great new era of space exploration.

-Königsführer William R. Coburn

This is not a forum for RP, please once again, read the rules.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Return to Archive