Varyag Incident

World events, conflicts, conferences and visits from all over.

Varyag Incident

Postby Sam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:47 pm

At 1100 hours on March 7, 2740, the Nova Terran corvette Varyag, going to Port Liberty, Egelion for repairs, entered the area, in international waters, claimed by Lodamun as a "quarantine zone", and encountered the Lodamese patrol ship Andalay. The Andalay requested, by radio, that the Varyag allow Lodamese Navy sailors to board her. The crew of Varyag declined, saying that as she was in international waters the ship was not subject to Lodamese law. The Andalay fired three warning shots in the direction of the Varyag. However, the third warning shot misfired and hit the Varyag's engine, and the ship began sinking. At 1129 hours, the heroic sailors of the Varyag became the first victims of Lodamese aggression, as the Varyag became completely submerged.

Nova Terra does not wish to start a war. However, we will not allow Lodamun to violate international maritime law with impunity by wantonly sinking ships in international waters for no reason. Therefore, we would like to make the following requests to the government of Lodamun:

- A formal apology, and monetary compensation, should be given to the families of the crewmen of the Varyag.
- Nova Terra should be reimbursed to cover the cost of building a new ship to replace the Varyag.
- The quarantine zone should be redefined to only cover the territorial waters of Lodamun.
- The quarantine should only be implemented for ships going to Lodamese ports and not to ports of other countries.

We would like to stress that these requests are not unalterable demands; we are willing to negotiate on the basis of the aforementioned terms.
"The FSB finally caught him for talking shit about replacing Putin with this "Saiser" character. I'm guessing they're up to his seventh toenail by now."
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Re: Varyag Incident

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:43 pm

OOC: You could have asked for the name of the ship, my friend. That name sucks. Aside from that, we name ships after heroes of our nation but I'll let it pass. ;)

IC: The Government of the United Republics of Lodamun greatly regrets that this incident occurred but it does not accept responsibility for it. The crew aboard the Varyag were contacted by radio several occasions before the first warning shot was fired. The refusal to allow our Navy to inspect it was a clear indication of suspicious activity. The ship was identified as possibly carrying contraband suspected to be used for terrorists attacks in Egelion and other territories.

The sailors aboard the Varyag knew the consequences of trying to pass through the quarantine area without being inspected. However, our Navy reports the incident as having occurred differently.

This is a report filed by the commander of the Andalay, Rear Admiral John Lopps:

The Varyag entered the quarantine zone at 1100 on March 7. The Andalay, located 450 nautical miles NW of Port Andalay , intercepted the Varyag at 1105. Radio contact has been establish asking the Varyag to turn off its engine and prepare to be boarded. Captain of the vessel refuses to turn off engines. Several attempts to communicate made with no response. The Varyag continues moving ENE at 23 knots. The Andalay is ordered to fire one warning shot at 1111. Another attempt by radio has been made with the Varyag; no response obtained. Another warning shot is fired at 1115. Radio contact made; no response. Sailors aboard the Andalay report seeing movement in the Varyag. Sailors with automatic weapons in the Varyag spotted. The Andalay takes fire on the port side at 1120. Minimal damage taken. The Varyag accelerates to approximately 29 knots due ESE. The Andalay accelerates to 30 knots due W. Admiral Perr authorizes use of force to protect the integrity of the Andalay. The Andalay is ordered to fire at the Varyag's engine. Shot is successful, engine is inoperable. Sailors aboard the Varyag start jumping to the water. The Varyag begins sinking at 1130. The URLS Reynolds and URLS Williams come in support of the Andalay at 1150.

As reported by the Andalay, all the sailors were rescued and given proper medical assistance. Among the sailors were two suspected terrorists: A'waan Zachari and Alekseev Petrova. Both, along with the rest of the crew, have been transported to Lodamun. Search teams located several boxes containing unidentified ammunition. Those boxes are in route to Lodamun for proper identification.

Lodamun will not apologize for protecting its citizens against terrorism and Nova Terra. Nova Terra has shown the world that it wants to create panic. We will simply not allow that to happen. Violence was used against our Navy and our Navy acted in self-defense.

We regret that this incident had to reach this level but we will not tolerate Nova Terra's actions against our citizens and the citizens of this world.

Signed,

Jonathan Kynes
President of the United Republics of Lodamun
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby YankeeHater » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:41 pm

While I oppose the illegal blockade by my nation's highly advanced navy as I believe it's a violation of the Law of the Sea, the specific circumstances may require further investigation. If the Varyag flew under the flag of a nation who adopted the Law of the Sea, Lodamun would have no right to board or fire upon any ship in international waters; however if the Varyag flew under the flag of a nation who did not adopt the Law of the Sea or a NGO, then Lodamun would have the right to fire upon, board and/or sieze the Varyag. It is clear in the opinion of the Lodamese opposition that our government has a right and responsibility to protect important international waterways from pirates and other threats.

Respectfully,
Matt Diggory
Leader of the United Republics Party
YankeeHater

Postby Sam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:52 pm

The Varyag was a ship of the Nova Terran Navy. Allowing foreign countries to inspect it would risk disclosure of military secrets.

And who are the real terrorists here? The crew of a ship that is going through international waters to a friendly port for repairs, or the crew of a ship that, in violation of international maritime law, attempts to board a non-hostile ship, and when the crew of that ship attempts to stand up to these pirates, opens fire without being provoked?

We are willing to enter into diplomatic negotiations with you on the basis of the aforementioned terms. We consider those terms to be reasonable, and if there is anything in it that you find to be unreasonable we are willing to negotiate wording acceptable to both parties involved. However, if you wish to start an aggressive war, there is nothing we can do to prevent you from that.
"The FSB finally caught him for talking shit about replacing Putin with this "Saiser" character. I'm guessing they're up to his seventh toenail by now."
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:00 pm

The policy of Government of the United Republics of Lodamun is not to negotiate with terrorists. Enough is said.

Signed,

Jonathan Kynes
President of the United Republics of Lodamun
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Sam » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:04 am

We hope that Lodamun will see reason and agree to negotiate. If they agree to negotiate, to show our good faith we will drop the requests for monetary compensation and an apology and only request redefinition of the quarantine zone to only include Lodamese territorial waters.
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Postby YankeeHater » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:13 am

I don't believe Nova Terra is recognized by Lodamun as a nation or a signatory of the Law of the Sea. While I agree with Nova Terra that the blockade policy is unnecessary, I also believe that it is allowed under International Law. If the ships flew the flag of a recognized government, however, the Varyag may have a case. This matter could be referred to an international court.

Respectfully,
Matt Diggory
Leader of the United Republics Party
YankeeHater

Postby Sam » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:36 am

The ship was in international waters. We acknowledge Lodamun's right to do whatever it wishes to ships entering its territorial waters, but attacking ships in international waters is an act of war.
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Postby admtrap » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:24 am

From a press conference in Merenberg, Darnussia:

Question: Do you have any comment on the Varyag Incident, Madam President?

President Danielle Dogwood: Well, the nation under whose flag the Varyag was flying is free to lodge a formal protest. Since Nova Terra is not a nation, and the operation was specifically designed to detain, deter and generally harass Nova Terra, I doubt they'll get much sympathy. As far as I'm concerned, it appears the Lodamunese operation is a brilliant success, and I personally applaud their efforts to eliminate this newest threat to global peace and security.
admtrap

Postby Sam » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:36 am

The Lodamese pirates who think they can board ships at will and violate international law are the ones that threaten peace and security.
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Next

Return to World Events