The Board

Organisations involving national governments as members.

Re: The Board

Postby Darvian » Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Oddly, I was about to say something very similar to Yanks. I think something along the lines of Terra(n) Development Association, International Development Corp. or something a long those lines. Likewise with Yanks, Terra Builder Society just seems off to me.
Darvian

Postby Opakidabar » Thu May 07, 2009 9:19 pm

Terra Developer Group
International Developer Group
Terra(n) Development Association
International Development Corp
-> There is something common for all these names, they are boring, unattractive :roll: and lack personality
Honorable West-Terran/East-Terran/Dovani-Squibble Company
-> They are catchy because sounds similar to East-Indian Company, etc
Terra Builder Society Inc
-> The name has the "What?!" feeling about it and some parallels to Free Masonry. I still like it and if Weswammy and Khaler will go with "Yes", I will go with it.

Some other names to consider (I am brainstorming):
Round Table Investors
Labsburg Corp (Labsburg is city name in Hulstria)
Benevolent Investment Group (BIG)
Rainbow Investments
Thunder Group
Adventure Business Corp
Pure Water Business Development Group

I know some or most or all of them sound silly but they have the personality about them, be it city, interesting name, sphere or not yet identified story that is in background. Look at the world - Ford, General Electric, Shell, General Motors... They all have stories.
Opakidabar

Postby Darvian » Thu May 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion on the nomenclature. Though, with you desire to have a name with 'personality' and one that has a 'history' given this is a brand new initiative there isn't a history or personality ascribed to anything as of yet.

Out of your mentions, I do like the following:

[list=]Benevolent Investment Group (BIG)
Adventure Business Corp
Pure Water Business Development Group[/list]

Perhaps some spin-off, again brainstorming here...
_________ Economic Advisory Corp/Group/Syndicate
Macro Investment Group (MIG)
Terran Revitalization Corp/Inc/Group
Liberty Capital Investments
Darvian

Postby Opakidabar » Fri May 08, 2009 7:05 am

The thing is we will sell the name to community to recruit people. This will be our brand name. And it should follow the guidelines of good brand (wiki).
A good brand name should (I divided it into Must Have and Nice To Have myself, the rules in wiki are undivided)
Must Have
* be easy to pronounce (If we have 3 or more words then abbreviation should be easy to pronounce, i.e. Liberty Capital Investments = LCI)
* be easy to remember (Liberty Capital Investments = (after some period of thought) capital something
* be easy to recognize (this can come later, but would be nice to have distinctive name so that less investment in building recognizability is needed)
* attract attention (of course attention can be attracted by side events, but having name that asks you to click and look instead of "ehh, boring, next" helps)
* suggest the company or product image (this is where professional comes in, so Capital, Investment, Finance, Corp, etc should be part of name)
Nice to Have
* suggest product benefits (benefits are - different RP, develop your own company together with others, become CEO of Terran Corporate World, etc)
* distinguish the product's positioning relative to the competition (competition - in corporate world only SaiserCorp (excellent brand name!), in RP world - NATO, Axis, Nova Terra, GPO, maybe Comintern, we should be clearly distinctive)
* be attractive (as they say - sexy)
* stand out among a group of other brands (same as for competition)
Last edited by Opakidabar on Fri May 08, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opakidabar

Postby Mr.Yankees » Fri May 08, 2009 7:53 am

I like Liberty Capital Investments. Sounds very sophisticated. We would, of course, want an easy to remember name but also a professional one. Liberty Capital Investments (perhaps insert Group at the end) meets that criteria for me.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Opakidabar » Fri May 08, 2009 9:10 am

Mr.Yankees wrote:Sounds very sophisticated.

This is the worst compliment for brand name. Tell me, you are politician, how many people would vote for Obama if his campaign was built around sophisticated "restructuring of national budget" instead of simple "change"?
I am a little bit shocked that American chooses sophisticated over simple. I tend to see this as an example of low IQ trying to cover itself by using smart phrases and words (not in your case, but if I saw you first time I would).
After all America was built by entrepreneurs, simple guys that used simple words to explain their great vision, not detracted by sophistication. Those are the same people who use "bearish" and "bullish" terms instead of "declining market" or "booming market" (even in science books!). They use butterfly as name for option strategy simply because the drawing look that way! And I always had a lot of fun watching our PhDs translating their terms in Latvian and coming out with something awfully sophisticated for "butterfly", because "butterfly is not academic" :)
I admired Americans for that and had one positive stereotype on you, but now I see Americans have lost their simplicity and energy and try to hide under the same mask as rest of the world - smart, empty, multi-meaning words.

Sorry for that, you just happened to see a part of my perpetual war against sophistication :)
Opakidabar

Postby JuliaAJA » Fri May 08, 2009 10:20 am

Opakidabar wrote:This is the worst compliment for brand name. Tell me, you are politician, how many people would vote for Obama if his campaign was built around sophisticated "restructuring of national budget" instead of simple "change"?
I am a little bit shocked that American chooses sophisticated over simple. I tend to see this as an example of low IQ trying to cover itself by using smart phrases and words (not in your case, but if I saw you first time I would).
After all America was built by entrepreneurs, simple guys that used simple words to explain their great vision, not detracted by sophistication. Those are the same people who use "bearish" and "bullish" terms instead of "declining market" or "booming market" (even in science books!). They use butterfly as name for option strategy simply because the drawing look that way! And I always had a lot of fun watching our PhDs translating their terms in Latvian and coming out with something awfully sophisticated for "butterfly", because "butterfly is not academic" :)
I admired Americans for that and had one positive stereotype on you, but now I see Americans have lost their simplicity and energy and try to hide under the same mask as rest of the world - smart, empty, multi-meaning words.

Sorry for that, you just happened to see a part of my perpetual war against sophistication :)

Long live Opakidabar! Advocate of Simplicity! :D
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Khaler » Fri May 08, 2009 11:55 am

International Businessman's Investment Club (Now I'm not completely sure how Businessmen conjugates, but I think that is the right form instead of businessmen's?)
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Postby Opakidabar » Fri May 08, 2009 2:10 pm

Khaler wrote:International Businessman's Investment Club (Now I'm not completely sure how Businessmen conjugates, but I think that is the right form instead of businessmen's?)

I like the feeling around it. Let's drop international as it says nothing really
Venturous Investment Club
Venturous Investment Agency (VIA)
General Finance :D
Generous Investors Club
..not yet, not yet, but we are moving closer.
Opakidabar

Postby Mr.Yankees » Fri May 08, 2009 3:56 pm

Opakidabar wrote:
Mr.Yankees wrote:Sounds very sophisticated.

This is the worst compliment for brand name. Tell me, you are politician, how many people would vote for Obama if his campaign was built around sophisticated "restructuring of national budget" instead of simple "change"?

Remember that not all Americans are the same. I prefer sophisticated over simple though I must admit, I like simple as well because well...it's simple. Just remember than only a small percentage of Americans actually have a higher education degree.

And I really don't want to talk real politics now though you are correct on your statement about Obama's campaign.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

PreviousNext

Return to Intergovernmental Organizations