Democracy Investigative Comittee (DIC)

Organisations involving national governments as members.

Re: Democracy Investigative Comittee (DIC)

Postby Mr.Yankees » Mon May 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Varyag Incident- A Nova Terran vessel opened fire upon the URLS Andalay
Attacks on Port Andalay- Nova Terran affiliate, Nova Loda, used car bombs to inflict damage to the UNT building just before the first General Assembly meeting; a car bomb was detonated very close to the NATO Military Coordination Committee in the West Wing of the Defense Ministry; a bomb exploded at a major fuel depot; bombs brought down major power lines leaving millions without power for hours.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby AngryMollusc » Mon May 11, 2009 9:07 pm

OOC: I suppose, depressing as it is, there's going to have to be some OOC discussion of this issue. I assume everybody is OOC-aware that Yankees has been using the classic perpetual earlies method to keep power in Lodamun. The question is:

a) Does this OOC dictatorship translate into an IC one
and
b) If a) is true, do we know about? Or, perhaps more significantly, do we want to admit to knowing?

For my money, a) has to be true- I don't think you can exploit the game to maintain power without RP consequences. I'd suggest it be handled as a combination of vote-rigging, bullying of opposition parties and so on: the usual pseudo-democratic fare.

As for b): well, that's up to the committee to decide :P Out of my hands, I guess...
AngryMollusc

Postby Mr.Yankees » Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 pm

AngryMollusc wrote:OOC: I suppose, depressing as it is, there's going to have to be some OOC discussion of this issue. I assume everybody is OOC-aware that Yankees has been using the classic perpetual earlies method to keep power in Lodamun. The question is:

and
b) If a) is true, do we know about? Or, perhaps more significantly, do we want to admit to knowing?

For my money, a) has to be true- I don't think you can exploit the game to maintain power without RP consequences. I'd suggest it be handled as a combination of vote-rigging, bullying of opposition parties and so on: the usual pseudo-democratic fare.

As for b): well, that's up to the committee to decide :P Out of my hands, I guess...

I would not oppose to my hold in power being considered a dictatorship is I had actually done what you mentioned (RP vote-rigging, bullying opposition parties, etc.). In fact, I have RP'ed cooperation with opposition parties and allowed them to do what they wanted. Of course, there was a purpose to that. Now, you can say that I am using Parliamentary rules to keep opposition parties from passing bills but I still think that you cannot call my regime a dictatorship or at least the kind of dictatorship we think about.

I am biased towards "b" so I won't express my opinion.

By the way, as a side not, the cabinet in Lodamun is very varied. It doesn't only contain Liberal Party members. :)
Mr.Yankees

Postby AngryMollusc » Mon May 11, 2009 9:58 pm

Mr.Yankees wrote:
AngryMollusc wrote:OOC: I suppose, depressing as it is, there's going to have to be some OOC discussion of this issue. I assume everybody is OOC-aware that Yankees has been using the classic perpetual earlies method to keep power in Lodamun. The question is:

and

I would not oppose to my hold in power being considered a dictatorship is I had actually done what you mentioned (RP vote-rigging, bullying opposition parties, etc.). In fact, I have RP'ed cooperation with opposition parties and allowed them to do what they wanted. Of course, there was a purpose to that. Now, you can say that I am using Parliamentary rules to keep opposition parties from passing bills but I still think that you cannot call my regime a dictatorship or at least the kind of dictatorship we think about.

I am biased towards "b" so I won't express my opinion.

By the way, as a side not, the cabinet in Lodamun is very varied. It doesn't only contain Liberal Party members. :)

I'd agree that your regime isn't exactly a dictatorship: more Russia or Zimbawe, only wealthier. However, I suppose the point should be considered for all possible cases: for example, Kafuristan, which is controlled through marginally more nefarious methods probably should be.

I suspect we're all biased as regards b). But that's really up to the committee members alone.

Also, nice touch with the cabinet.
AngryMollusc

Postby YankeeHater » Mon May 11, 2009 9:59 pm

i ask the investigators to look into when this cabinet was created and the actions of the LP prior to the announcement of investigation as it is clear that knowing it would soon be investigated influenced recent LP actions. It may be nice to include a powerless party in the cabinet, but this was merely done to appease those conducting this inquiry and hopefully add legitimacy to the claim of "democracy" when no opposition truly exists.
YankeeHater

Postby Sam » Mon May 11, 2009 10:00 pm

On behalf of the Hobrazian government, UNT Ambassador Jorge Fernandes would like to correct some misconceptions that the Lodamese representative may have. The incident of the Varyag was started when Lodamese ships opened fire on Nova Terra's ships, not the other way around. The terrorist attacks in Port Andalay were fabricated by the Lodamese government to justify their dictatorial measures against the opposition.
"The FSB finally caught him for talking shit about replacing Putin with this "Saiser" character. I'm guessing they're up to his seventh toenail by now."
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Postby rep » Tue May 12, 2009 8:13 am

Rutania not being member of the DIC regarding Lodamun, will not intervene in this issue, unless other non-members intervene. We will start our investigation about Hobrazia and we will present our point of view before the committee. I ask permission from the authorities of Hobrazia to let me enter their country and conduct some free investigations.

Veronica Mayday,
Ambassador of Rutania
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." (Winston Churchill)
rep

Postby Freelancer » Tue May 12, 2009 9:55 am

i ask the investigators to look into when this cabinet was created and the actions of the LP prior to the announcement of investigation as it is clear that knowing it would soon be investigated influenced recent LP actions. It may be nice to include a powerless party in the cabinet, but this was merely done to appease those conducting this inquiry and hopefully add legitimacy to the claim of "democracy" when no opposition truly exists.

No opposition doesn't constitute a non-existance of democracy seeing that our Empire also have a national unity cabinet with no real opposition in the parliament. However, your other point of concern does create a question of honesty from the current government whether why it's feel necessary to include a party that have yet to formulate any political stance after the question of their democracy system have been raised.

Lastly, we would request that any party that have concerns regarding any points of Lodamun democratic system to submit their concern to the Committee so that we can investigate them. (PM to every nations in the investigation would be nice)
Freelancer

Postby Rumbold90 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:01 pm

"The government of Vorona requests permission to monitor the next Lodamunese elections, and to conduct investigations."

OOC: Yankees, is it alright if I do some RP? If you are concerned about the RP, please message me. Thanks.
United Worker's Front
Mordusia
Rumbold90

Postby Mr.Yankees » Tue May 12, 2009 7:26 pm

The Government of Lodamun will fully cooperate with this investigation. All of the countries in this commission are allowed to send a delegation to monitor the next election.

Gregory Kynes
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Ambassador to the UNT
United Republics of Lodamun

OOC: That's alright.
Mr.Yankees

PreviousNext

Return to Intergovernmental Organizations