Democracy Investigative Comittee (DIC)

Organisations involving national governments as members.

Re: Democracy Investigative Comittee (DIC)

Postby Rumbold90 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:24 pm

Voronan Intelligence Service Publishes Findings During Undercover Investigations in Lodamun

Today the Voronan Intelligence Service published a 1000 page document entitled "A Voronan Investigation of the Un-Democratic Actions in Lodamun", regarding several undercover operations in Lodamun. Several agents were able to infiltrate the Lodamunese administration and become aides to several top Liberal Party politicans. Several letters, memos, recorded conversations, and e-mails were used in evidence agains the Liberal Party, as well as agents seeing first-hand actions by the police under the command of Liberal Party officials.

"Lodamun under the Liberal Party has become a democratic dictaroship. Agents working as election officials saw election workers discard ballots cast in favor of opposition poloticians. Election workers were encouraged to count ballots cast for the Liberal Party as worth two votes, instead of one. Agents also saw election officials accept bribes from Liberal Party officials to do these things. TV and radio stations, as well as newspaper offices that produced anti-government material had liscences revoked. Places of worship with anti-government clerics were shut down, because they served as "public health hazards" or places of "homegrown terrorism." Schools with teachers who were members of opposition parties were closed because "matinence was sorley needed." Notable politicans for the opposition were seen being dragged out of their homes and publically tortured by military and police personel. One agent saw one female politican being raped publically by police officers." said the Voronan Intelligence Service spokesperson, Frida von Hjokbarg.

"Lodamun is, at best, a corrupt demoratic dictatorship. The Liberal Party only allowed opposition parties notable positions within the government only after international observers took notice. I would advise the Liberal Party to allow opposition politicans to roam freely, stop censoring anti-government speech, re-install antio-government clerics, stop the blatant abuse of voter fraud and electoral rigging. Early elections and special elections are only to be held when vacancies in the legislature occur. Liberal Party officials are warned that this information has already been made public, via the websites of the Voronan Ministry of Foriegn Affairs and the Voronan Intelligence Service."

Several reports of widespread demonstrations in opposition stronghold in Lodamun have been reported. Several opposition politicans and activists have been quoted telling President Kynes to "resign, step down and leave the country."
United Worker's Front
Mordusia
Rumbold90

Postby rep » Thu May 14, 2009 9:29 pm

Rumbold90 wrote:"Lodamun is, at best, a corrupt demoratic dictatorship."

OOC: Sorry, but there is no such thing as democratic dictatorship. It is a contradiction in terms... It's like a fried snowball.
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." (Winston Churchill)
rep

Postby Mr.Yankees » Thu May 14, 2009 9:39 pm

rep wrote:

OOC: Sorry, but there is no such thing as democratic dictatorship. It is a contradiction in terms... It's like a fried snowball.

Actually, it's a gray area. It can be said something called a democratic dictatorship exits. Basically, said country allows general elections for its legislature and head of state but the same party always wins due to election fraud, political persecution, some people are right out excluded from voting, etc. It is actually used in the People's Republic of China' constitution.

I have also seen it in a couple of books but it is not a very popular name among scholars.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby jethro » Fri May 15, 2009 4:58 am

rep wrote:

Q: Isn't this exactly what every Westerner I've ever met is calling Russia?
jethro

Postby rep » Fri May 15, 2009 8:48 am

OOC: Sorry I did not wanted to make a class of political science here. Russia for example is not a democratic dictatorship but an oligarchic authoritarian political system. Elections do not mean democracy. They are an important prerequisite but not enough.

IC: I have to note that as far as I know, the LP never restricted the liberties of the citizens, always maintained rule of law and supported civil society. These are really important for democracy. And I can understand why the Lodamese people have faith in the LP. Unless the DIC can prove that the LP commits crimes against any of the dimensions of consolidated democracy, it loses is point.

Veronica Mayday,
Ambassador of Rutania
rep

Postby Rumbold90 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:27 pm

"The Voronan government is well aware of the deep friendship between Rutania and Lodamun, and the the beleif that preventing DIC from announcing these findings worldwide may save the reputation of your ally. The Voronan Intelligence Service had several agents, and election monitors see these things happen. Letters, e-mails, memos and recorded conversations were also used. Human rights and civil liberties are not needed for a democracy. Forcing someone to vote thorugh torture etc, is still considered a democracy, because people vote.

The Voronan government and the Voronan Intelligence Service do not appreciate the fact that we have been called liars by the ambassador from Rutania. We are a netural and independent nation, that had several undercover agents who happened to discover many abuses of human rights by the Lodamunese governemnt, under the control of the LP."

Christa Baggesen, VGS
Ambassador to the UNT
Voronan Minister of Foriegn Affairs
United Worker's Front
Mordusia
Rumbold90

Postby rep » Fri May 15, 2009 6:04 pm

I did not call nobody a liar. The only thing I attempt to point out is the fact that Vorona forgets that it chairs to commission and behaves in a biassed manner.
1. Vorona cannot elaborate reports on Rutania without the approval of the whole DIC. Only the DIC is authorized to elaborate official results. Otherwise Rutanian intelligence agency can also draft a report, but Vorona would certainly protest against it.

2. Vorona asked entering permission in Hobrazia only for itself, not for the whole DIC. If Hobrazia can choose who may investigate, then Lodamun has also the right.

I hope the Vorona will understand my arguments and pardon me if I was too aggressive previously.

Veronica Mayday,
Rutania
rep

Postby Mr.Yankees » Fri May 15, 2009 6:09 pm

The simple belief that the Voronan intelligence was able to infiltrate key government posts is simply preposterous. While we have no doubt that your Intelligence Agency is of great caliber, I find it rather laughable that you were able to read secret communications between government officials. Not even I can do that.

The fact of the matter is that Vorona has not evidence besides its word. There are no records of the supposed tortures because there is not torture. There are no records of election fraud because there was no election fraud. There are no records of political persecution because there is none. We have always supported civil liberties and we hold political dissidence as one of the key pillars of our democracy. Everyone in Lodamun is free to voice their opinion whether it's against the government or not without the fear of repercussion.

The Voronan government has produced a lousy and untruthful report based on nothing but lies and speculations. It is my hope and that of our government that the rest of the commission is able to present the true story of Lodamun.

Thank you.

Gregory Kynes
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Ambassador to the UNT
United Republics of Lodamun
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Rumbold90 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:08 pm

The reason we announced our findings, is because we hoped other DIC members would have conducted investigations, and that when all the investigations were finished, we could compare and conrast data. We did not announce our findings because we have a political grudge against Lodamun. The Lodamunese government has been instrumental in creating the UNT and hosting us all here in comfort and saftey.
United Worker's Front
Mordusia
Rumbold90

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat May 16, 2009 4:32 am

Mr.Yankees wrote:We have always supported civil liberties and we hold political dissidence as one of the key pillars of our democracy. Everyone in Lodamun is free to voice their opinion whether it's against the government or not without the fear of repercussion.

OOC: Now, this is entirely contradictory and requires discussion under the Moderation Thread. You can't just rig elections and go for perpetual earlies according to game mechanics and still represent a finest pillar of democracy.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

PreviousNext

Return to Intergovernmental Organizations