Gloria Iustitia (GI)

Organisations involving national governments as members.

Gloria Iustitia (GI)

Postby Masionette9 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am

Gloria Iustitia (lut. Glory to Justice) is a non-governmental agency based in Nowogard, Valruzia. It's aim is to monitor the situation in Countries across Seleya and to monitor thesituation of human rights and basic freedoms. Accodring to the statute of the agency it's goal is to ensure the safety of human rights and raising conciousness about human rights. Gloria Iustitia issues reports on the situation in different countries and spreads the news about the offenses aggainst the human rights. It can consult the governments and propose actions aimed for the normalisation of the situation of human rights.

Logo of Gloria Iustitia and the headquarters of GI in Nowogard, Valruzia.
Last edited by Masionette9 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Party of National Coalition (Valruzia) - active
Kalistan Democratic Party (Kalistan) - inactive
Masionette9

Re: Gloria Iustitia (GI)

Postby Axxell » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:04 am

It would be very usefull to have an indipendent agency to monitoring not only human rights and freedom, buth therefore the democratic developement inside a nation. And why only in Seleya? It would be interesting to have alongside the Human Right Foundation also another NGO to monitoring about basic freedom and democracy.
Alleanza Radicale (Radical Alliance) - Istalia (Active)
Axxell

Postby TPPDJT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:16 am

OOC: I think this would be a good idea for all continents in Terra.
"Whoever excommunicates me, excommunicates God." - Girolamo Savonarola

"In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." - Desiderius Erasmus
TPPDJT

Postby Govenor12 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:36 pm

The government of Beiteynu will outlaw all cooperation with GI by a law which will soon be passed by the Knesset.
Govenor12

Postby Masionette9 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:49 pm

OOC: I can agree to widen the operational area of Gloria Iustitia. It will monitor the situation of human right all across Terra.
Masionette9

Postby TPPDJT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Masionette9 wrote:OOC: I can agree to widen the operational area of Gloria Iustitia. It will monitor the situation of human right all across Terra.

OOC: Great, I would suggest you focus first on known "bad" states (Pontesi, Saridan, Hulstria, etc.). This would enhance RP in the GA and in diplomacy.
"Whoever excommunicates me, excommunicates God." - Girolamo Savonarola

"In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." - Desiderius Erasmus
TPPDJT

Postby Masionette9 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:36 pm

OOC: I will focus mainly on countries which have legalized slavery, segregation and death penalty (this of course combined with RP). This thread is, of course, open for other players.
Masionette9

Postby Axxell » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:45 am

OOC: Can I propose you to create a list of nations classifing them in several chategory based on the Democratic developement and on freedoms recognized? Like: Full Democracy, Democracy to Improve, Critical Democratic situation, Undemocratic regime, or something like that?
We can identify laws to use as parameters, giving to each options a score. Higher is the total score and higher is the democratic developement. Next monday will begin my vacation, so for 2 weeks I will have a lot of time.
I regularly analyze the legislation of other countries to check the political situation, so... I can offer me to analyze Majatra. Maybe we can divide the "work" to do. And I noticed that another player created an Indralan Institution for similar research, this organization could cooperate with the other one. The opinion and the analysis of more institutions will assure more authority to the research.

The option to analyze are several, I pasted here the ones I consider as the key laws when I check a nation to understand the internal situation:

The way adulthood is determined.
Adulthood is determined by age. (FULL) +1
Adulthood is determined by a test. (FULL/TO IMPROVE: I always have some confusion on this option) +0.5
Everyone is considered an adult. (CRITICAL) -0.5
Adulthood is determined by religion. (UNDEMOCRATIC) -1

Government policy concerning granting citizenship.
Citizenship is granted to all nationals. (FULL) 1
Citizenship is gained by passing a qualifying exam. (FULL/TO IMPROVE: like the first one) 0.5
Citizenship is granted only to landowners. (UNDEMOCRATIC) -1
Citizenship is granted based on race/religion/gender. (UNDEMOCRATIC) -1

Privileges of nobility (if nobility is recognised by the government).
Nobility confers only titles and certain minor rights, but no political powers, and is not hereditary. (FULL) +1
Nobility confers only titles and certain minor rights, but no political powers, and can be hereditary. (FULL) +1
Nobility confers titles and minor political rights, but no direct control over people or land, and is not hereditary. (TO IMPROVE) +0.5
Nobility confers titles and minor political rights, but no direct control over people or land, and can be hereditary. (CRITICAL) - 0.5
Nobility confers major rights, but is not hereditary. (UNDEMOCRATIC) -1
Nobility confers major rights, and can be hereditary. (UNDEMOCRATIC) -1 (or -2 if you want)

Racial and religious registration of nationals. (this is to be discussed I think)
All nationals are required to register their race and religion. (CRITICAL) -0.5
All nationals are required to register as a member of a race. (CRITICAL) -0.5
All nationals are required to register their religion. (TO IMPROVE) -0.5
The government does not require nationals to register their race or religion. (FULL) +1

The government's policy towards civilians who conscientiously object to being required to perform military service (if applicable).
Conscientious objectors are exempted. (FULL) +1
Conscientious objectors can be exempted, but only on religious grounds. (FULL) +1
Conscientious objectors can be exempted from combatant roles, but not from non-combatant roles. (TO IMPROVE) +0.5
It is a criminal offence to refuse to perform military service. (CRITICAL) -0.5

Military stance on homosexuality.
Homosexuality is allowed in the military. (FULL) +1
Open homosexuality is not tolerated in the military. The military has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. (TO IMPROVE) -0.5
Homosexuality is not tolerated in the military. The military actively seeks to remove homosexuals from it. (CRITICAL) -1

Discrimination in the military on grounds of race/religion.
Any adult citizen can serve in the military, discrimination for racial or religious reasons is prohibited. (FULL) +1
The government does not interfere with the military over who can serve in it. (TO IMPROVE) +0.5
Candidates must be of a certain race/religion to be armed or take part in combat. (UNDEMOCRATIC) -1
Candidates must be of a certain race/religion to hold positions of command. (UNDEMOCRATIC) -1
Candidates must be of a certain race/religion to have any place in the military. (UNDEMOCRATIC) -2

Appointment of military officers This is an option with only one critical options, the other I think that doesn't affect excessively a democratic regime, but if you have any dubt express you please)
The Ministry of Defense is authorized to appoint military officers.
The head of state is responsible for the appointment of military officers.
The head of government is responsible for the appointment of military officers.
The national legislature is responsible for the appointment of military officers
Military officers are only appointed through battlefield commission.
Only members of the nobility can be appointed to military officer positions. (CRITICAL) -1
Individual units elect their officers.

The government's policy regarding the treatment of prisoners of war.
Prisoners of war must be treated well, according to internationally-accepted standards. (+1)
Prisoners of war are immediately returned to their own government. (+0.5)
Prisoners of war are treated according to the national laws of the captor power. (depend, -1 or -2 if it is allowed the slavery, the torture and so on)
Prisoners of war may be mistreated without legal sanction. (-1)
Prisoners of war are enslaved. (-2)
Surrendering enemy combatants are summarily executed. (-2)

Women in the military.
Women serve alongside men. (FULL +1)
Women have no place in the military. (CRITICAL -0.5)
Women can only serve in non-battle positions. (TO IMPROVE +0.5)
Women serve in segregated units. (CRITICAL -1)
Only women can serve in the military. (CRITICAL -1)

Government policy towards labor unions.
Trade unions may exist and worker membership is voluntary. (FULL +1)
Trade unions are illegal. (UNDEMOCRATIC -1)
Trade unions may exist and all workers must have membership in one. (TO IMPROVE +0.5)
Only government-run trade unions exist and membership in them is compulsory. (VERY CRITICAL -1)
Only government-run trade unions exist and membership in them is voluntary. (TO IMPROVE -0.5)

The workers' right to strike. The last two... I don't know how to classified them, I don't think they affect the democratic regime, these options are resonable for an utility and security motivation)
All workers have the right to strike. (FULL +1)
All strikes are illegal. (VERY CRITICAL -1)
All workers, except public employees, have the right to strike. (TO IMPROVE -0.5)
All workers, except certain categories of workers regarded as critical to society, have the right to strike.
All workers have the right to strike but certain categories of workers regarded as critical to society have to ensure a minimal service.

The right to appeal against a judgement rendered by a court.
Every person has the right to appeal against a judgement and to have it reviewed by a higher court. (FULL +1)
Every person has the right to appeal to the Minister of Justice to have a judgement reviewed by another court. (TO IMPROVE +0.5)
Judgements may only be appealed against for grave procedural errors. (CRITICAL -0.5)
All judgements are final and binding; appealing against them is not possible. (UNDEMOCRATIC -1)

The government's position towards the administration of law.
There are regional courts, but decisions of regional courts may be appealed to national courts (if the right to appeal exists). (+1)
There is a uniform system of courts across the nation. (+1)
There are regional courts that have jurisdiction over questions of regional law and national courts that have jurisdiction over questions of national law. (+1)
There are no courts, the Head of State will determine what's right or wrong. (UNDEMOCRATIC -1)
There are no courts. (UNDEMOCRATIC -1)

The government's position towards the use of forensic DNA databases.
Only DNA from persons convicted of crime is recorded. (+1)
All citizens' DNA is recorded. (VERY CRITICAL -1)
DNA from persons accused or convicted for a crime is recorded. (TO IMPROVE -0.5)
No DNA is recorded. (+1)
The decision on forensic DNA databases is left to local governments. (the local option I prefer to consider themself as neutral, because it depend by the party that control the regions, too much complicate to analyze also all these things)

Government provision of legal aid to the accused.
Legal representation for defendants in criminal trials is paid for by the state for defendants with low incomes. (+1)
Legal representation for defendants in criminal trials is paid for by the state. (+1)
Legal representation is never paid for by the state. (TO IMPROVE -0.5)

Legality of judicial physical punishment
All forms of physical punishment are illegal. (+1)
Judicial corporal punishment (eg. caning or flogging) is legal. (-1)
Judicial corporal punishment that causes permanent injury (eg. mutilation) is legal. (-1)

Government's policy towards the powers of the police. (I left the one I consider as "neutral")
The police may arrest crime suspects.
The police may arrest citizens for any reason. (-1)
The powers of the police are not restricted. (-2)
Powers of police are left to the local government .
The government has no policy towards the powers of the police. (-0.5)

Police searches.
The police cannot search a person or their property without their consent unless the police have obtained a warrant from a court or have reasonable grounds to suspect that a crime was committed. (+1)
The police cannot search a person or their property without their consent unless the police have obtained a warrant from a court. (+1)
The police cannot search a person or their property without their consent unless the police have obtained a warrant from a court or in cases of imminent danger. (+1)
The police can search a person or their property without restrictions. (-1)
Local governments deal with this issue.

The use of torture for obtaining information.
Torture is never allowed. (+1)
It is at the discretion of the police officer to torture suspects for information. (-1)
Suspects can only be tortured under grave emergencies where the information is vital. (TO IMPROVE -0.5)

Internet regulations.
The government allows anyone to use the internet but the police can run investigations concerning illegal activities conducted by using internet (child abuse, illegal filesharing, ...) (+1)
Use of the internet is prohibited. (-1)
The government runs its own internet with government approved content only and no connection to the rest of the world. (-2)
There is major censorship of the internet by the government. (-2)
The government has no position on who may use or what is published on the internet. (+1)

The government's policy regarding regulation of media content.
There are laws against the publication of false information; everything else may be published freely. (+1)
There are no content regulations; the media may publish anything, even proven falsehoods. (+1)
There are laws against the publication of false information and hate speech. (+1)
There are laws against the publication of false information, hate speech, and subversive anti-government material. (VERY CRITICAL -1)
It is forbidden to criticize the government, or publish any material that the government does not approve of. (UNDEMOCRATIC -2)

International media content regulation.
International media content undergoes the same regulation as domestic media content. (This depend by other factor, so... I think it is better adapt it looking at the previous law)
International media content is banned. (-1)
International media content is heavily censored for political purposes. (-2)
International media content is free from regulation (+1)

Government regulation of the viewing of movies.
The viewing of movies is not regulated by the government. (+1)
The government sets a range of standards (to be determined) but these only apply to movie theaters. (+0.5)
The government sets a range of standards (to be determined) and these apply to cinemas and private homes. (TO IMPROVE -0.5)
Only government approved movies are allowed to be viewed. (-1)
The viewing of movies is illegal. (-2)

The government's policy with respect to adultery.
Adultery is legal. (+1)
There is no explicit government policy on adultery. (+1)
Adultery is illegal, but not prosecuted. (TO IMPROVE +0.5)
Adultery is a capital offence. (-1)
Local governments establish policies on adultery.

Racial segregation of public amenities (eg. drinking fountains, public toilets)
Segregation of any public amenity is banned. (+1)
All public amenities are segregated. (-2)
All government owned public amenities are segregated, private organisations are free to choose. (-1)
Government owned amenities are not segregated, private organisations are free to choose. (+0.5)

The legality of divorces (if marriages are recognised).
Divorces are legal, be it mutual consent, grounded cause or if one partner wants it. (+1)
Divorces are only legal with grounded cause (such as adultery, or violence).
Divorces are only legal with mutual consent. (+0.5)
Only divorces that comply with religious doctrine are legal. (-1)
Divorces are prohibited. (-1)
The legality of divorces is left up to the local governments.
The government has no policy on the legality of divorces. (+1)

The government's policy regarding the initiation of divorces (if allowed).
Either partner may initiate a divorce. (+1)
Only male partners may initiate a divorce. (-1)
Only female partners may initiate a divorce. (-1)
Local governments decide who can initiate a divorce.

Government recognition of interracial marriages (if marriages are recognised).
Mixed race marriages follow the same regulation as other marriages. (+1)
Interracial marriages are recognised by the government, but with fewer rights than those of same-race couples. (-0.5)
Interracial marriages are not recognised by the government. (-1)
Any form of unofficial interracial marriage or civil union is banned. (-1)
The government has no policy concerning interracial marriage or civil unions. (+1)

The legality of interracial sex.
Interracial sex is legal. (+1)
Only heterosexual interracial sex is allowed. (-0.5)
Interracial sex is illegal, but not prosecuted. (+0.5)
Interracial sex is completely illegal. (-1)
The government has no policy concerning interracial sex. (+1)

The confidentiality of letters and correspondence.
The confidentiality of letters is inviolable. (+1)
The confidentiality of letters is inviolable, but the justice dept. can violate it in extreme situations. (+1)
The confidentiality of letters is inviolable, but the justice dept. can violate the confidentiality of letters with grounded cause. (+0.5)
The confidentiality of letters is not inviolable. (-0.5)

Government policy toward marriage.
The government allows all consenting adults to obtain civil marriage contracts. (+1)
The government only recognises civil marriages between a man and a woman. (-0.5)
Civil marriages are defined by local governments.
The government does not involve itself in marriage or civil unions. (+1)
Only marriages that comply with religious doctrine are recognised. (-1)

Right to privacy.
Individuals have a right to privacy, but the courts can force individuals to give information on certain matters if needed. (also known as Habeas Data). (+1)
Individuals have a right to privacy, to keep records and information for themselves. (+1)
The government has the right to monitor information of individuals without letting them know. (-1)

Policy concerning racial segregation in educational institutions.
Segregation is illegal in all educational institutions. (+1)
All educational institutions must be segregated. (-2)
All public educational institutions must be segregated. (-1)
Public educational institutions cannot be segregated, private institutions can choose to apply a policy of segregation. (TO IMPROVE +0.5 or -0.5, I think is better -0.5)
Segregation policy is set by local governments. (-1)

The legality of slavery.
Slavery and the slave trade are illegal. (+1)
The slave trade is illegal, but slavery is legal as a punishment. (-2)
Slavery and the slave trade is allowed. (-2)

Legality of sodomy.
Sexual relations of all types are legal for consenting adults. (+1)
Homosexual relations are illegal, but are not prosecuted. (+0.5)
Heterosexual relationships only are legal for consenting adults. (-0.5)
Sexual relations are only legal for procreation. (-1)
Sexual relation laws are set by local governments.
Homosexual relations are legal for one gender only. (-1)

Women's working rights.
Women are entitled the same working rights as men. (+1)
Women are not allowed to perform potentially dangerous tasks. (TO IMPROVE +0.5)
Women are only allowed to work in part time jobs. (-1)
Women are not allowed to work. The state requires them to stay at home. (-1)

Travel by nationals to foreign nations
The nation issues passports on demand for any reason to its nationals (+1)
The nation issues passports to nationals after a cursory security check. (+1)
The nation issues passports to nationals after an invasive security check. (TO IMPROVE +0.5)
The nation does not issue passports to any nationals, except on specific authorisation of the Foreign Minister. (-1)

State penalties for blasphemy
No state penalties are issued for blasphemy. (+1)
Public blasphemy is considered a minor offense. (+0.5)
Public blasphemy is considered a criminal offense. (-0.5)
Both private and public blasphemy are considered criminal offenses. (-1)
Both private and public blasphemy are considered grave offenses, and are heavily prosecuted. (-2)
Local governments decide on penalties for blasphemy.

The state's intervention in the appointment of ministers of religion. (freedom of religion and interference between State and Religion, I'm not really sure of the scores I adopted)
The state does not intervene in the appointment of ministers of any religion whatsoever. (+1)
The state appoints all heads and other ministers of all religions. (-0.5)
The state appoints the head and ministers of the state religion, but does not intervene otherwise. (-0.5)
The state nominates ministers of religion, but the appointment is left up to the religious communities themselves. (+0.5)
The state has the right to veto the appointment of any ministers of religion. (+0.5)

Government policy towards evangelism and religious advertising.
Religions are permitted to freely promote and advertise themselves. (+1)
Religions are not permitted to promote themselves or advertise in any manner whatsoever. (-1)
Religions are required to obtain government approval before promoting themselves or advertising in any manner. (-0.5)
Religious organizations are not permitted to actively promote themselves or advertise, however evangelism is permitted by individuals. (+0.5)

Government policy concerning religions.
There is no government policy concerning a state religion. (+1)
There is an official state religion, and membership is mandatory. (-1)
There is an official state religion, but membership is completely voluntary. (+0.5)
Any form of religion is banned. (-1)
There is no official state religion, but the government only allows recognized religions. 'Cults' are persecuted. (+0.5)
There is no official state religion, but the government requires everyone to belong to a religion of some kind. (-0.5 or -1, I think it is better -1)

I know, there are no few laws to analyze, but I really focused the laws whIch can determine the democratic level of a nation, I think these are the basic legislation that can affect such an analysis.

What do you think? If you want, I can begin to analyze Majatra.
Alleanza Radicale (Radical Alliance) - Istalia (Active)
Axxell

Postby Masionette9 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:12 am

OOC: Looks great. If you have time you can do that.
Masionette9

Postby Aethan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:47 am

OOC: That's a hard job to do, but looks great and I'm sure will give more reasons to arguments in RP
In Marea - Civis Sinistram - Selucia Former
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Next

Return to Intergovernmental Organizations