Terran Poverty Relief Assocation (TPRA)

Organizations in the political sphere such as party organisations, pressure groups and political campaigns.

Terran Poverty Relief Assocation (TPRA)

Postby Phil Piratin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:52 am

December 4301

The Terran Poverty Relief Assocation (TPRA) based in Haldor, Dorvik, has issued a hard-hitting report, condemning Terra's wealthiest countries for "not spending nearly enough money on tackling the problems faced by the poorest people in the world" and "displaying a distinct lack of drive and imagination when it comes to addressing the challenges".

The report recommended that all of the countries with economies assessed to be "Very Strong" or "Strong" by the Zardic Institute of International Relations should commit themselves to spending a minimum of 1% of their GDP on overseas aid by the year 4320, urging that "preferably, they should invest much more in aid, particularly the countries with the most powerful economies".

Bettina Hoenigsberg, the Chief Executive of the TPRA, has written to the World Congress, urging governments to discuss this proposal, and asking the Security Council to pass an official resolution encouraging governments to do everything they can to meet and ideally exceed the target. However, she also argued it is "important to make sure aid spending is spent efficiently, and doesn't get squandered away on waste or corruption" and that "governments need to work together to co-ordinate their aid programs, to make them as effective as possible". She cautioned against the practice of governments offering "aid-for-trade" deals, or offering aid in exchange for political favours, warning that "these kind of arrangements are not always healthy, and often prove not to be the best way of trying to help the people we are trying to reach". She also urged that "overseas aid must be combined with giving poorer nations better trading terms on the international market", and condemned the "structure of the global economic system" for "giving the poor of the world a bad deal, again and again and again".

Several governments were "named and shamed" in the report for their low overseas aid spending, especially Vanuku, which is one of Terra's richest countries yet spends only 0.17% of its GDP on overseas aid, and Zardugal, a nation with an economy ranked "Strong" which only gives 0.02% of its GDP in overseas aid.

Here are some statistics from the report...

Overseas Aid Budget as a % of GDP for "Very Strong" economic powers

Meeting the target

Kazulia -1.01%

Not meeting the target

Istalia - 0.79%
Dorvik - 0.75%
Vanuku - 0.17%

Overseas Aid Budget as a % of GDP for "Strong" economic powers

Meeting the target

Trigunia - 2.21%
Kalistan - 1.34%

Not meeting the target

Hutori - 0.82%
Malivia - 0.78%
Rutania 0.71%
Selucia - 0.70%
Lodamun - 0.68%
Narikaton - 0.61%
Aloria - 0.41%
New Endralon - 0.34%
Indrala - 0.31%
Luthori - 0.24%
Baltusia - 0.20%
Zardugal - 0.02%

OOC: As readers may have guessed, these figures were gathered based on the in-game budget pages, comparing the GDP figures to the "Foreign Affairs" spending. Crossing my fingers I haven't f**ked up any of the maths. Never said I could add up but I did my best...:)
Last edited by Phil Piratin on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phil Piratin

Re: Boost overseas aid spending, plead campaigners

Postby colonelvesica » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:23 am

OOC: if your comparing GDP to the Foreign Affairs budget that isn't actually all dedicated to foreign aid; that's running a nation's entire Foreign Service. It would be better to avoid specific percentages and instead see what nations spend on foreign aid based on the in game policy.
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Phil Piratin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:27 am

colonelvesica wrote:OOC: if your comparing GDP to the Foreign Affairs budget that isn't actually all dedicated to foreign aid; that's running a nation's entire Foreign Service. It would be better to avoid specific percentages and instead see what nations spend on foreign aid based on the in game policy.

OOC: I agree it's far from ideal, but going by the foreign budget is probably the best measure we have for something like that (ie. % of GDP spent on overseas aid).
Phil Piratin

Postby colonelvesica » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 am

OOC: In theory you aren't wrong, but some nations could argue more money is spent based on some game Legislation and RP.

Hutori for example spend .89% of its GDP on Foreign Affairs, but national policy also sees money come from he Ministry of Trade & Industry going to Foreign aid through the Hutorian International Development Corporation.. And is directly guilty of offering foreign aid through "tied" deals. The HIDC offers loans as well as grants (basically direct) foreign aid.
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Phil Piratin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:58 am

colonelvesica wrote:OOC: In theory you aren't wrong, but some nations could argue more money is spent based on some game Legislation and RP.

Hutori for example spend .89% of its GDP on Foreign Affairs, but national policy also sees money come from he Ministry of Trade & Industry going to Foreign aid through the Hutorian International Development Corporation.. And is directly guilty of offering foreign aid through "tied" deals. The HIDC offers loans as well as grants (basically direct) foreign aid.

OOC: Hmm

One option would be to RP stuff like that as just TPRA getting their calculations wrong etc..

Or is that list of stats basically so problematic/confusing it would be better I just deleted it? It might be, and you can be honest.

Bit frustrating to have done that work for nothing, but oh well, one lives & learns
Phil Piratin

Postby colonelvesica » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 am

OOC: oh dont delete by any means, it's a great work of RP! :)

There is always room for RP with anything! Hutori probably will be making a response to this shortly
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Kubrick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 pm

OOC:

http://classic.particracy.net/viewvaria ... ationid=48

Vanuku literally has the law 'The government gives high levels of aid to countries in need.' how can they be stingy?
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby colonelvesica » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:19 pm

OOC: I think its because your Foreign Affairs budget only takes up .17% of your GDP on the Foreign Affairs budget.. again this is one of those small nominal flaws, but this still has valid idea for some interesting RP. In theory I spend more of my GDP on Foreign Affairs, but I am in fact stingy, giving out more loans then grants, where as your foreign aid budget is probably actually designed to help other nations (like your work in New Verham)
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Kubrick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:00 pm

OOC: depends entirely on what department you believe handles international aid as well IMO, very flawed system but I suppose it's easily debunked in RP.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby TPPDJT » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:14 pm

OOC: The title kinda sounds like something from NationStates :lol: .
"Whoever excommunicates me, excommunicates God." - Girolamo Savonarola

"In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." - Desiderius Erasmus
TPPDJT

Next

Return to Political Organizations