UNT Security Council Meeting 2740

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

Re: UNT Security Council Meeting 2740

Postby Emunim » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:00 pm

"We still see no evidence of Nova Terra committing acts of terrorism. You have offered evidence that Nova Loda, a group claiming links to Nova Terra but which Nova Terra say they have no links to, committed terrorist attacks. Barmenia takes the view that Nova Loda are terrorists, however similarity in name is not a strong enough link to convince us of Nova Terran involvement, and appeals to emotion are no substitute for facts.

Barmenia will reiterate its position once more that both the Lodamese Quarantine Zone, as well as the Pontesian blockade of the Migrants Pass, are a violation of the concept of the freedom of the high seas, a freedom that has always been necessary to maintain peace and build economies. We put it to the other Representatives that any nation claiming the power to block or harass shipping in International Waters will always be posing a threat to the peace, prosperity and stability not just of their own region, but in this global age, to the peace, prosperity and stability of all of Terra. We believe the UNT Security Council should do its utmost to ensure that such actions cannot be taken without international consent."

Selim Haiysrmko
UNT Ambassador for Barmenia
Emunim

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Members of he Security Council, there is no law or precedent saying that a nation cannot establish a quarantine zone to protect itself. It has always been accepted that nations under perceived attack by a foreign power are allowed to take all necessary actions to protect themselves.

Under international law, a quarantine is a legal act in peacetime, as opposed to a blockade, which is considered an act of aggression.

We will present to you the three factors under which a blockade is considered legal. If Lodamun's situation applies to this case (a blockade), then a quarantine is more than called for.

First Factor: Value of what's being valued- What's more valued than our own soil
Second Factor: Blockading Strenght- Clearly Lodamun posseses much more strength than Nova Terra and any other terrorist organization
Third and Final: Willpower- Lodamun has asserted the right to do anything necessary to stop any ships trying to run the quarantine.

As you can see, Lodamun eve qualified for a legal blockade but considering the fact that we are in peacetime, we have introduced a quarantine.

That, my colleagues, is all the evidence of international law you need.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Kynes
Minister of Foreign Affairs
United Republics of Lodamun
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Emunim » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:55 pm

"With respect, the issue here is that Lodamon is going far beyond just protecting it's own soil. If Lodamon wanted to quarantine ships seeking entering its own territory, no-one would object. If Lodamon even wished to blockade ships from its own territory, no-one would object. The issue here is with Lodamon insisting it has the right to board ships that are not in its territory and have no intention of entering its territory. There is no factor based on 'protecting Lodamon' that justifies the boarding of ships that are not going to Lodamon in the first place."

Selim Haiysrmko
Emunim

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:05 pm

"Have you considered the idea that while vessels may not be going to Lodamun straight, it may be going to a neighboring country and from there terrorists can try to cross the border?

A quarantine is the appropriate and legal action to take to safeguard Lodamun.

We have shown the evidence. We have shown the international law in our side, and we have shown proper cause. Some people in this Council fail to let the evidence speak for itself and let their opinions take the upper hand.

Ladies, Gentlemen, please look at the evidence of the legality of our actions and then make an educated judgment.

Thank you."

Elizabeth Kynes
Minister of Foreign Affairs
United Republics of Lodamun
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby rep » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:54 pm

The Rutanian government considers the action of Lodamun as being legitimate. The arguments presented by Elisabeth Kynes clearly show that this quarantine is a propoer means of self-defence, which is a fundamental right of every nation. Rutania does not see the quarantine as an act of aggression and is willing to cooperate with the Lodamese authorities.
I have to join to te statement of Foreign Minister Kynes that some of the present politicians fail to let the evidence speak for itself. And while we are here arguing on an issue which is barely problematic, the Nova Terra is becoming stronger and stronger.

Veronica Mayday,
Official Representative of Rutania
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." (Winston Churchill)
rep

Postby Emunim » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:25 pm

"Ignoring the fact that Lodamon doesn't have the right to decide who its neighbours allow onto its territory, and has provided no evidence that Nova Terra was even attempting this before the quarantine, I feel it is fairly obvious that any 'terrorist' wishing to do this would simply go around the quarantine zone. The only way Lodamon could hope to actually have an effect on controlling who went into its neighbours territory, it would have to quarantine all of the ocean surrounding their neighbours as well.

Barmenia has made its position clear on blockades and quarantines. We will refrain from comment while other members pur forward their view.

Selim Haiysrmko
Emunim

Postby Darvian » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:32 pm

OOC: The Secretary-General has not and will not be showing up for this meeting. I will let Mr. Yankee's decide how he wants to handle this but, as of now there is no longer an acting Secretary-General. I tried folks and after the last two threads it's clear to me I'm not nor would any other sane person be interested in it as it's tailored. To those of you who sent me PM's in confidence in my role as S.G. I will ensure they are passed onto whomever the next S.G. is and I wish him/her all the best of luck. I do apologize to those of you who were appreciative of my efforts but, I'm not bothering with this anymore.
Darvian

Postby AngryMollusc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:54 pm

Needless to say, as a nation with a significant investment in oceanic transort, we are opposed to this behavior of the Lodamese government, which is frankly insulting, and barely ranks above common privateering. As a point of principle, all Kafuri oil tankers have been re-routed via Telamonian waters. This is not enough, however.

We would like to sound out support amongst the other members of the Council with regards to the opening of proceedings to strip Lodamun of it's Security Council membership if this behaviour continues. It is rapidly becoming clear that the Lodamese government, already renowned for its dictatorial, heavy-handed approach in the domestic sphere, is intent on applying the same strategies to international politics. We ask the Council: is this the kind of nation we can trust to set the right example for Terra?

-Mirza Sa‘id ibn Ibrahim Al-Khalil, Kafuri emissary to the UNT Security Council
AngryMollusc

Postby Rumbold90 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:05 am

OOC: I'm confused. What was wrong with the other thread? I had a nice storyline going. It had everything: food, international poltics, loud speeches, and old age!

But really folks? A thread about something that happend 7 IG years ago? I can't even remember what happend when!
United Worker's Front
Mordusia
Rumbold90

Postby admtrap » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:38 am

Elric glanced to his left, glanced to his right, then pulled his hat over his eyes. "May as well grab a nap, this discussion's going nowhere fast," he thought to himself, as he sought to grab some Z's.
admtrap

PreviousNext

Return to Diplomacy