UNT Security Council Meeting April 2760

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

Re: UNT Security Council Meeting April 2760

Postby rep » Thu May 28, 2009 7:41 am

Ms. Veronica Mayday stood up with a seemingly bewildered face.

"Dear Colleagues,
Perhaps I am not the only person in this room who does not understand much about the problem presented here. The intervention of many Beitenyu factions the angriness of Pontesia all made everything very unclear. I tend to sympathize with the views expressed by my honourable friend, Ambassador Kent about the issue of sovereignty. However without seeing clear I cannot make any reasonable decision. Therefore I would like to have some questions to make the discussion more efficient:
1. Is there any social unrest at the present moment in Beitenyu?
2. What is the extent of casualties after the recent conflict?
3. Are there any signs of crimes against human rights?

As far as I can see Beitenyu is in an extremely difficult state of affairs. If we don't act rapidly the whole state might enter into dissolution, and than we will not be able to speak about issues of sovereignty. Thus, my informal proposal is the following: if we decide to intervene in any way in Beitenyu we should focus on the strengthening of the state as a political entity. If the time comes I might be able to draft a project on this issue.
But until then I wait for information and endorse the statements of Ambassador Kynes."

Ms. Mayday went out to smoke a cigarette.
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." (Winston Churchill)
rep

Postby Xanathos » Thu May 28, 2009 3:21 pm

Perhaps it is our turn to remind the ambassador that the government of Luthori issued a seperate comment, which was delivered by The Rt Hon. Harry McCormack, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Empire. The comments I made were in the name of His Majesty and perfectly legitimate, as His Majesty viewed the rhetoric of several members of this council as belligerent and its plan of action as aggressive. His Majesty retains His stance on the issue.

Furthermore, as was clearly said by the envoy of Beiteynu, there has been NO civil war and there is NO social unrest in Beiteynu. In addition, we fear that a dangerous precedent may be set if this organization takes it upon itself to punish any country that it deems violates "human rights". This whole affair has extremly lowered the standing of the UNT in the Terran Empire and it is my thought that the government will want nothing to do with this organization.

-The Rt Hon. Lord John Rannigan,
Representative of His Imperial and Most Excellent Majesty, Emperor Maximilian III of Luthori & Alduria,
Imperial Seal-Bearer of the Holy Luthori Empire
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan
Xanathos

Postby 123abc123 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:03 pm

We know nothing has happened, no genocide occurred, nothing. It was no more than rabble rousing by a party no longer in the nation. We believe that Pontesi only wants UNT inspectors in the area, so that they can invade our nation and know the whereabouts of our nuclear weapons. We never attacked Padrilka and nothing ever happened. We feel that UNT is overstepping its boundaries, we have dealt with it in the Knesset and that is final.
123abc123

Postby admtrap » Thu May 28, 2009 11:56 pm

As a general principle of international affairs, we would suggest that armed international intervention, in the very limited cases that they are authorized, should always exclude those nations which have had ongoing and well known animosity, such as the Pontesi-Beitenyu relationship, which I would compare disfavorably to the relationship between my ex-wife and my former mistress. The United Nations of Terra should not be in the business of effectively deciding disputes between close siblings or former lovers, or be the forum where squabbling neighbors go to attempt to win a war.

This is not to say that the UNTSC should not intervene where appropriate, but that the historically or recently hostile neighbors of any place where the need for intervention is suggested make neither the best peacekeeping forces, peacekeeping commanders, nor the most unbiased witnesses to facts on the ground.

As any principle, of course, its application depends on the exact situation. An unambiguous natural disaster to which humanitarian aid is offered is far different, and far less offensive, than the suggestion of armed forces violating a nation's sovereignty.

Moe Noboru
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Kingdom of New Endralon
admtrap

Postby garjc » Fri May 29, 2009 5:22 am

Bear Bryant, UNT ambassador of the Hobrazian Imperium, steps to the podium:

"Ladies and gentleman of the United Nations, I wish to thank you for your patience and deliberation regarding this delicate matter. There has been much talk and many points made, so I will practice the utmost brevity here today. It appears to us that there may be no immediate need for international intervention at this time and much of this debacle can be handled by the responsible parties. However, this situation must be monitored with extreme scrutiny so that the aforementioned nuclear weapons are not lost and do not fall into the rogue organizations that would further threaten the stability of the region.

"At this current juncture, the Hobrazian Imperium cannot justify multilateral action. However, dialogue and attention on this topic must continue and future action is not out of the question. Thank you all for your kind attention."

Mr. Bryant stepped away from the podium and sat down in his seat with a pensive look upon his face.
The National Democratic Hobrazian Front; for a Greater Hobrazia!
garjc

Postby Mr.Yankees » Fri May 29, 2009 5:35 am

*Ambassador Kynes turned on his microphone quickly after Mr. Bryant sat down*

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I think Mr. Kryant has summarized the situation before us very well. I have said time and time again during this debate that we won't take any action unless we have to but discussions on the matters should continue. I see no reason why it shouldn't.

I also don't see enough evidence that Beiteynu needs any intervention. Perhaps, we can all agree to pass a resolution offering some aid, specifically targeted to those who have been displaced by the conflict. I think it would also be appropriate to include in such resolution our intent to aid the citizens of Beiteynu should any problems present in the future. All of the aforementioned would, of course, be only done if the representative of Beiteynu agrees to accept it.

I think it is also pertinent that we discuss arms control. It seems to be a very important topic at the moment given the instability Terra is facing.

Thank you."

*Ambassador Kynes quickly turned off his microphone and began to read a file that had just been placed in front of him by one of his assistants. The file had the word "Classified" printed on the first page.*
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Freelancer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:57 am

Pontesian delegate bow to the room.

"Again, we still have seen no evidence provided by any parties to counter our evidence that the civil war does exited and that the nation is abusing their right by killing and abusing minorities, but since UNTSC feels that the mere words of the nation that have lie to Terra before have more value then our then we will accept this disgusted result."

He then sneers at Beiteynu delegate and quickly exit the room, muttering something about a waste of his time.
Freelancer

Postby Mr.Yankees » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:30 pm

*Mr. Kynes quickly turns on his microphone before the Pontesian delegate could exit the room and calls him to stop him from leaving the meeting*

"No ones words are better than anyone else' without proper evidence and facts. The fact is that neither side has shown enough evidence to back their words up. That's why this Council feels that there is no need to take any action. If you cannot meet your burden of proof, then there is nothing we can do. You cannot just try to pin your failure to prove something to us in us. We listened, even suggested what we wanted to hear. We have not heard so. This Council will take action when enough evidence is provided.

With that said, I think everyone in the Pontesian delegation should keep in mind that not everything can go your way. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. That's life. However, you have considerable effect on how often you win and lose. Keep that in mind."

*He signaled over to the Pontesian delegate to take his seat along with the other members of the delegation*
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Freelancer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Pontesian turn back to Kynes with neutral look before walking back to his table and grab the microphone and put it near his mouse before speaking with his eye straight at Mr. Kyne.

"Losing? Winning? Are you sure that you understand the situation right, Mr. Kyne? This is human life here and this council have indicates that they will not act to protect the right of minority and stop this violation of human right because it does not want to cause tension with other organization. If the council feels that the needs to balance their agenda with an alliance of a nation that occupied Majatran is of far greater importance then the life of peoples then I have no further needs or desire to remain here. I'm quite sure that one of the diplomat from our embassy can probably represented us here better then me."

He then slowly look around the council.

"You listen? You suggested? You debate without reaching an answer? We provided you with substantial evidence that Civil War and human right violation exist, something that you blatantly ignored because of a mere word of the women over there even when she is arguing with another guy whether who is the real Beiteynu delegate here. We merely want this council to act or at least voted on our resolution before you claim to lead them and drop the resolution by yourself. Yet you are using this as your accuse to further your agenda aganist Nova Terra and your action in the past that violate the law of the sea."

He then slam the table and point his finger and Mr. Kyne before speaking clearly to the quite council.

"And you have no power to order me to stay here, I have a right to come and go as I please and are protected as diplomat.... and quite frankly, I'm leaving."

He put the microphone back on the table, direct one of the diplomat to take his seat and take note of the meeting, and walk out of the meeting before anybody can stop him.
Freelancer

Postby rep » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:32 am

Secretary General Henry Cusanus rose. He had a slightly disturbed expression on his face.

"I understand the anger of the Honourable Pontesian Representative, but I do not think that disputes should be solved in such an irrational manner. No one can stop him to leave but I believe his presence would be more beneficial than his absence. Yet, the decision belongs to him.

I have to accept that this discussion was not conducted properly. I would like to correct this mistake, and I suggest we should start the discussion again. If Pontesia would be so kind to highlights its main concerns and proofs and present a resolution draft.

I have to emphasize that the Beiteynu representative stated that there is no problem in the country. This should not be proved (given that Beiteynu is the "accused") but if Pontesia can prove the contrary we would accept it. (given that Pontesia is the "accuser"). I would also like to underline that the Holy Luthori Empire strongly opposes any intervention in Beiteynu. This stance must also be taken in consideration given the fact that Luthori is an important actor in the region.

I strongly believe that this situation can be solved in an intelligent and consensual manner."

The Secretary General sat back an sent a note to "the women over there" i.e Veronica Mayday, the Plenipotentiary Ambassador of Rutania in the UNT.
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." (Winston Churchill)
rep

PreviousNext

Return to Diplomacy