Ishinawa "Lourenne" Conference

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

Re: Ishinawa "Lourenne" Conference

Postby hater » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:45 pm

Your advice is well-heeded, Sessei. As you have put it, I have been addressing the weaknesses of others thus far. I defer to the previous testaments of my Kazulian colleague, though, and insist that the faults of my kingdom's detractors are the problem here.

Geuua takes a swig from his glass before proceeding

This conference exists not because Lourenne makes demands on any other nations, nor because any nation can declare injury to it by the hand of Lourenne. This conference exists because others have bequeathed unto themselves jurisdiction over Lourennais lifestyles. My kingdom is not in violation of any treaty of which it is signatory to, and is not aware that the guiding philosophies originating in other nations are our codes as well. The incessant mantra issuing forth from the sanctions' signatories, and most bombastically from Minister van Locklean, is that my party's government and its constituents exist in conflict.

I feel compelled to submit the following irony, even if it is interpreted as "dodging the problem". Minister van Locklean has been the most vocal proponent of this conflict argument. Is it not the case, though, that he serves without legitimacy? His party, not long ago the commanding faction of Saridan, has lost every legislative seat it possessed. He, and a handful of his partisans, occupy cabinet positions in a minority among parties with clear voter backing. Perhaps a day will come soon when he is again representative of the people's choice, but for right now that is not so. Whatever power-sharing agreement exists between the Saridani parties which allows for this discrepancy, it is by necessity the designs of apparatchiks and nothing more.

Contrast this with my own New Reaction. It attained legislative hegemony in 3830 at a time when popular apathy had advanced to such a stage of rot that not a single party was fielding itself for election. Despite being a kingdom, Lourenne didn't even have a monarch. Between an empty legislature and an empty throne, New Reaction came into being with a proposition for a radically different set of societal norms. Since then, for 25 years now, we have obtained practical unanimity in popular support election after election. Sometimes we ran unopposed, sometimes new parties fielded themselves only to gather thimblefuls of support. A day may come when we lose our mandate (temporarily or permanently), but until then, the Racial Syndicate is our house and no one else's.

Let me bring this to a close. With the Saridani delegation being the fruit of apparatchik collusion as I have described, and New Reaction's rule being directly representative as I have described, then what we have here is a case of a tiny squad of relics versus the aspirations of millions. Minister van Locklean, if there is one thing I would like to achieve in this conference, it would be for you to alter this one point in your narrative. You do not have a problem with my party. You do not have a problem with its government. You have a problem with the common Lourennais bystander. It is you against a people and a folk. All other nations have been content to shut avenues of trade and investment with us; you have urged war against a populace.
hater

Postby hts » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:11 pm

Minister Van Locklan rises from his seat and clears his throat. Then he begins,

May I point out that Mr Geuua is incorrect in his accusations and in his explanations. Our party won 126/500 seats in our parliament. However, after a slight issue we lost our seats, but not in an election. (OOC: There was a misunderstanding and I was inactivated for multiing. But i was not actually multiing and the issue has been resolved entirely)

Additionally, I would like to point out that you do not have the support of your populace. In the most recent election in your nation, despite the fact that you received more than 99 percent of the vote, my party received more votes in my nation than yours did in your nation. This is the result of an awful voter turnout of 16.15%.

Your party does not have the support of the populace, it just currently lacks any competition. More than 80% of Lourenne would rather not vote than vote for you.

So now that this has been cleared up, I would like explain that I am against your government, not your people. I support the 83% of people that refused to vote for you, and the countless individuals that are discriminated against and enslaved by your government.

I do not want war, but it is a device through which I feel the necessary changes can be made. I hope diplomacy resolves the issue, and I tried sanctions, but in the end your nation has refused to compromise and has stubbornly deflected all of the sanctions we have imposed. This is why we must consider war.

Thank you.

He then sat down drank his glass of wine, and looked at all of the delegates, awaiting their responses.
“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”
hts

Postby Maxington » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Recognizing that the Saridani Government has brought up the topic of Racial Discrimination in Lourenne, A Question to the Saridani Delegate, Do you have any supporting evidence that shows the unfair treatment of people of different races in Lourenne? If so please do present it to the Sessei of Sekowo and to the entire conference.

A Question for the Lourennaise Delegate, with Lourenne being a Monarchy without an official monarch which makes the person incharge of your party the Regent of Lourenne , which means your hold a seat of Leadership over the nation until a Monarch is found. What have you done to improve equality and social right in Lourenne? WHat have you done to show the Delegates in this conference that your party is to remain as the party who will lead Lourenne into a fresh start.

That is all I must say, Thank you.

Statsminister Rosmari Syvertsen would bring her glasses to her eyes, going through a stack of files.
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby hts » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:17 am

Thomas Van Locklan stands up and clears his throat. He has his assistant hand out report files to every delegate. He then begins to speak,

Some colleagues and I have conducted an extensive investigation into racial discrimination in Lourenne. This is what we have found.

The first race related reform instituted by the New Reaction was the bill known as "The Fourth Whammy" which I have included in the file. (OOC: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=433505) This bill stripped citizenship from all those seen as not apart of the "One Great Race". This can not be seen in the text of the bill. The bill simply creates a system in which citizenship is determined by Race/Religion/gender. However, we have concluded through our extensive research that this bill was aimed to alienate and disenfranchise all races not seen as pure. We have concluded this through analyzing the New Reaction. One example of rhetoric on their part that led us to believe this is when, in a official statement to Saridan, they used the term "The One Great Race".

Additionally, the bill named "The Tenth Whammy" also further isolated people of minority races. It requires all citizens to register their race. This was used as a device to identify all the people the New Reaction sees as inferior. Take a look at that bill as it is included in the report. (OOC: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=433512)

I would like to add that both of these bills were defeated, but they were both implemented as a part of a larger bill known as "Pending Elections". This bill can also be found in the report. (OOC: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=433821)

However, the most conclusive evidence we have found is in the bill known as "Post-Election Measures". Articles 1-4, and article 19 all discriminate against minority races. Large scale racial segregation, the banning of interracial marriage/sex, and the implementation of a government hiring policy that is discriminatory against minorities are all included in this bill. It can be found in full text in your report. (OOC: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=433941)

The bill "Chattel Legalization" legalizes slavery although it does not explicitly state of a specific race. Based on the previous legislation and opinions of the New Reaction our investigation concluded that, at the very least, the majority of the enslaved are of the races that the New Reaction considers not to be a part of the "One Great Race". (OOC: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=434071)

In the bill known as "The Final Touch" the New Reaction again made only members of the "One Great Race" permitted to be in the military.
(OOC: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=434251)

Article 5 of "Continued Adjustment" bans religion. This can be seen as religious discrimination.
(OOC: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=434584)

Article 11 of "Recall Accessory II" is also religious discrimination.
(OOC: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=435201)

The New Reaction has been very discreet about precisely who they are discriminating against, and with their borders closed it was difficult to research. However, it is obvious to me, based on the results of this investigation, that the current government of Lourenne is racist, and due to their reinstatement of slavery, they are clearly cruel. The people of Lourenne deserve better.

We support the Action Lourennais, the opposition party in Lourenne whom we have been speaking to. They are the party that will hopefully lead Lourenne to a brighter future. (OOC: http://classic.particracy.net/viewparty ... tyid=23492)

Thank you.

Van Locklan sits down, drinks his water, and awaits a response.
“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”
hts

Postby Reddy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:00 am

Sessei Hideo Hirano walks to the Kazulian delegation's tables and asks the Kazulian Staatsminster.

Mme. Syvertsen, is the evidence Saridan produced, sufficient to prove Saridan's allegations?

He then turns to the Lourennaise delegation's tables.
Do you, honored delegates, dispute the evidence in anyway? If not, this evidence's rather damning. If I may ask, what precisely is the 'One Great Race'? Who are and are not members of this race in Lourenne and elsewhere?
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby hater » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:04 am

OOC: I typed out a long and fantastic response. Then I submitted it without realizing I had been logged out in the meantime, and lost everything. So...

I am impressed by my opponent's familiarity with our body of law. I entreat the Saridanis to review our excellent economic and gender equality legislation, as well as environmental protections, just as exhaustively as they have recorded our racial legislation.

OOC AGAIN: Is there already a list of races in Terra, and how are they distributed? Or do I have to make them up? Just because I don't want to cause any continuity problems with anyone.
hater

Postby Maxington » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:56 am

Statsminister Rosmari Syvertsen would bring the Microphone closer to her, then she speakes.

Yes Sessei Hideo Hirano, the information given is valid enough to back Saridan's Alligations. I would like for the conference to pay close attention to "Post-Election Measures" bill produced by the New Reactions Party. Article 4 proposed that "All educational institutions must be sergregated. Now I was a Minister of Education back in Kazulia from 3847 to 3851 and I know that segregation in schools are bad for young children because there is no longer a sense that we live in a segregated society, so why would we want our children to be segregated in schools? When children are young they are far more willing to accept other kids that are different races. It is best they learn how to associate with other races early so that they can adapt to getting along with them in the workplace. Society is stronger together; not apart.

Article 23 stated that "There are no courts, the Head of State Decides what is wrong and what is right. I see this as if Lourenne is leaning on the dictatorship side of things. The Courts are inplace to ensure that Righteousness is ruled and Fairness prevails. In that legislation you are letting your popular know,"Hey, since i know what's best, I will judge what is right from wrong".No it does not work like that anymore.

Statsminister Rosmari Syvertsen would push the microphone away from herself, Looking down in the more papers and she called Foreign Minister Lucas Christensen by waving to him.
Maxington

Postby Reddy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:42 am

OOC: Oh! I hate when that happens, Hater. As for races in Terra, you basically have what we have in the real world from Zulus(Ibutho) in Ibutho, Germans(Dundorfians) in Artania, East Asians(Gao Showan), European colonists and Native Americans in Dovani etc. This wiki page might be of interest to you: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ethnic_Group

A very mildly flustered Sessei Hideo Hirano walks up to the Lourennaise delegation and asks:

Honoured delegates, you are, I suspect, very aware that your 'excellent legislation' in the fields of environmental protection and gender equality is not the issue here. These diversion tactics only serve to lengthen the period that your country will endure the ill effects of the embargo imposed on it by what are now ten countries, and soon may be eleven. How does Lourenne propose to persuade these countries to lift those sanctions? Remember that these sanctions will also affect your neighbours to a certain extent.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby hater » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:04 pm

Responding with a tone of insolence

Madam Staatsminister, I'm afraid that this is the second time that you have characterized our body of law incorrectly. I did not want to correct you the first time to save you from embarrassment; however, I'm now compelled to rectify your statements. Lourenne has had an official monarch for about a bit more than a decade now, ever since New Reaction restored the head of state as a hereditary figure. Lourenne had had an elected head of state for along time, yet continued to cal itself a kingdom and preserved its trappings. By reinstating the monarch under the title of "People's Jarl", we are now a proper kingdom again.

Secondly, the head of state is no longer the arbiter of all justice, though it was at one point. The legislation now states that there simply will be no courts, and that is all. New Reaction has bargained that with the sense of common identity fostered by our racial legislation, coupled with the social justice and median well-being fostered by our economic legislation, we would be able to transition our folk to a stage wherein daily life would not need to be nurtured by truncheons and handcuffs. Perhaps this is rather ambitious, but it is our vision.

Finally, I will say that your policy regarding integration during your time as minister of education were appropriate given your party's goals and outlook. Certainly, it doesn't make sense to have segregated schooling when you have an integrated workplace. But Lourenne is not integrated. You also said that fraternization between the races assists in making workplace relations manageable. But in Lourenne, class conflict has been ameliorated, so that the common worker doesn't have to abide by the program of management. Rather, the worker IS management via our DWC's, and thus the workplace can be crafted not only along the stipulations of productivity, but by the convictions of ownmost sentiment as well. I can assure you that the common laborer would be repulsed and alienated by any regime dictating a blending of the colors.

Turning to Sessei Hirano

My dear Hideo, my apologies that the need to preserve dignity in the face of others' accusations has diverted my attentions. I do indeed have offers prepared which should be of benefit to my antagonist. Yet, I first need to hammer in the conviction, the only one, which can avert war, and perhaps even edify those who are behind the sanctions campaign. There has been talk of tolerance and respect for other peoples from my Kazulian and Saridani peers, respectively. I speak of tolerance and respect for other ethical codes, other aesthetic persuasions and other doxa. The Saridanis, Kazulians and, I presume, the Sekowans (without mentioning the multitude of societies which have embargoed us) all edify Lourenne with their predominant beliefs. But those beliefs are theirs. They think that different heritages ought not to be kept apart, and that humans are beyond possession as property. In Lourenne, we disagree. And it is not only my party, my government which disagrees, but the voting public as well. It is, afterall, why I am minister of foreign affairs and not someone else.

The Saridanis have alluded to being in contact with our opposition party. Well shouldn't the existence of an opposition party settle this matter once and for all? If Action Lourennais ever takes power in an election, the policies you find odious will be dismantled. If they never take power, then our body politic is opposed to all of your visions; continuing to press these visions upon a population with dissident outlook would be imperialism. Thank you.
hater

Postby Maxington » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Statsminister Rosmari Syvertsen during her proposal.

Thank you Mr. Geuua, my apologies for characterizing your body of law incorrectly. I have a question, how have the Citizens of Lourenne cope with the Sanction?Is life in Lourenne harder for them? And also what help have you recieved from other nations who have not signed the treaty?

To the Saridani Delegate, in terms of the sanctions and embargos what Items were prohibited to be imported to Lourenne?
Thank you, That is all.

Statsminister Rosmari Syvertsen would look down onto her Laptop.
Maxington

PreviousNext

Return to Diplomacy