Peace talks for Beluzia held in Merenbürg (Darnussia)

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

Peace talks for Beluzia held in Merenbürg (Darnussia)

Postby Lougrashes » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:42 am

Excellencies, Delegates, Ladies and Gentlemen:

On behalf of the Government of the commonwealth of Narikaton and Darnussia, I have the honor to welcome you all in our capital city Merenbürg.

This conference will attempt to find a peacefull and good solution for the political conflict in the Federal Republic of Beluzia. While it is true that we stand at the beginning of these talks, and while we believe that it will not be an easy task for all of us, we have already made the first important step. All Parties involved have agreed to meet here and discuss the problems in a peacefull manner. All parties have shown considerable responsibility, and in the name of humanity my compliments go out to all of you. Let me extend to you all my warmest welcome, and let the work begin!

As Chairman of this conference I propose that each party involved shall first have the possibility to describe the conflict from their view, and I would appreciate if you could for the time being abstain from Discussion between each other. My proposal is that we shall afterwards find the key topics we could discuss one after another. My government will attempt to make proposals to find a solution to each controversial point.

Because the confederate Party of the Federal Republic of Beluzia is discontented with the Situation at hand, I would like to ask their Delegate to speak first.

Let us now hope that we can bring peace and freedom to Beluzia together.

Thank you very much!

Walter Maijer - Chancellor

OOC: I am sorry, my english is not as good as I would hope in the capacity as diplomat, please have mercy. :-)
Social Liberal Peoples Party of Darnussia
Lougrashes

Re: Peace talks for Beluzia held in Merenbürg (Darnussia)

Postby TheCollectivist » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:30 pm

We, the Confederates, hold the office of president and the largest political party in Beluzia, however since we do not hold a majority - the protection of states' rights through purely political means has proven inefficient. Recently, we have committed to ending the paramilitary operations of the Confederate Militia through the Confederate Treaty of August 3961 (http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=458050). Our party is committed to upholding just law, but will make every effort to resist laws that serve to violate the right to self-determination of local communities through the devolution of power to the individual states of Beluzia. We have never used acts of terror, nor have harmed civilians in our effort to defend local communities. We are willing to end the paramilitary operations of our militia if the other parties are willing to tolerate its continued existence as a political organization and its continued operation of providing free euthanasia and abortion to the states in which a majority supports it.
Current party: Pragmatic Party (Indrala)
Political alignment: Centre
For: Defensive democracy, globalism, and humanism
TheCollectivist

Postby Egmo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:17 pm

The threat of violence and your complete disregard for federal law has led to this situation: I am sure the Confederate Party is in no position to deny that claim. As I am sure our hosts now, the Confederates claim that the state of Bailon should become independent from the rest of Beluzia. We do not have an issue - and I am sure all other parties would agree - with any party campaigning and protesting peacefully for the independence of any state: people have the right to do so and their concerns must be heard and they are obviously perfectly legitimate. However, the Confederates must accept and admit that they have been very wrong in the way they have attempted to push their agenda.

The Confederates have been very vocal about independence for Bailon, and we have no problem with supporters of independence. However, all other parties in Beluzia have strongly opposed the way they have tried to do this. Whilst we obviously disagree with the Confederates in almost every way - including what they claim to be their attempt to protect of states' rights - we appreciate they feel strongly about this issue and that they are now willing to negotiate with the coalition cabinet that still exists in Beluzia despite their victory. More serious problems arose when Parliament passed the Abolition of Paramilitaries Act of August 3956 (http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=456981) - a bill that the Confederates strongly opposed - and they made this very clear to Parliament. They said that they would refuse to disband their militia even the bill passed - and it did: the only party voting against the bill was the Confederate Party. Since the Confederate Party failed to disband their militia in accordance with the law, we put a resolution before Parliament: the Abolition of Confederate Militia (http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=457217). The resolution urged that the Confederates disband their militia at once: again, the resolution passed. We then proposed the Eminent Domain Act of November 3957: a bill which allowed the government to seize private property for vital government works. A compensation plan was already in place for those affected by eminent domain and we had made that very clear in our reasoning. However, the Confederates threatened to "protect all those in Bailon who are victims of eminent domain ... [a]ny government structures illegally built over a citizen's property (without their consent) will be demolished, occupied or blockaded through any means". Another example of where the Confederates have publicly stated they essentially do not have any respect for the rule of law in Beluzia. Whilst we were reasonable and told them that those affected are provided with generous compensation, they threatened to block the government.

They had clearly overstepped the boundaries by this point, so we - at the time in power - issued them a final warning (http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=457495). We gave them several months to disband their militia, and they told Parliament they "will not surrender". Furthermore, several articles have been written in Beluzia investigating the nature of the militia the Confederate Party operates. The 150,000 militants are thought to be heavily armed with modern military equipment - a danger in itself. Furthermore, they have actively sought to 'deal' with illegal immigrants themselves. Current law dictates that illegal immigrants found should be put in to reintegration centres, rather than prosecuted. However, the Confederate Militia is known to have gone on patrols for illegal immigrants - or as the Confederates affectionately call them: "invaders" - with the intention to take matters in to their own hands, and we can be quite sure their midnight patrols are not conducted with the purpose of welcoming illegal immigrants in to the country.

They have been aggressive towards our government and their treatment of immigrants and those who vocally disagree with them is disgusting. Why they ever believed they had the right to raise and arm their paramilitary to secure "states' rights" when they have never been able to secure a majority in Bailon - let alone Parliament itself - is well beyond me.
Last edited by Egmo on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Egmo

Postby Lougrashes » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:59 pm

Gentlemen, thank you for your first approach on describing the situation in Beluzia. I want to stress the point that in this first round it would have been better just to describe the situation. Our first goal must be to build trust between the parties involved. Therefore I hope you understand our concern: Please abstain from insulting each other. To promote a better climate I would suggest that each party talks directly to the chairman and not to the other party involved until the time has come to begin direct negociations.

Gentlemen: Let me put aside all propositions and rectifications for the moment. Let us agree that these talks will take their time and that the truce shall be held during this period. Because we have reason to believe that a peacefull solution is possible. The Confederate treaty shows that all parties involved share the wish for peace in Beluzia.

So let us beginn with the first questions:
1. Are both parties willing to live in a common state, the federal republic of Beluzia, for the time being?
2. If so: Are both parties willing to be bound by constitutionally proposed law, if it is clear that no such law will restrict the rights of the states?
3. Which propositions have both parties about the future structure of Beluzia, of the rights of the states and parties?

Our first proposition is: Government and Parliament of Beluzia agree not to restrict the rights of the states as long as these talks are held, although they have the majority to make this possible. The confederate Party agrees to stop all paramilitary activities. Both parties agree about the continued existence of the confederate militia as long as these talks are held. The confederate Party agrees to be bound by all federal law which does not infringe on the rights of the states.

I hope we can agree to these terms for the time being. It would be best if both parties give their formal support in this conference. When we are agreed on these terms, we should give a positive word to the public.

Thank you very much.

Walter Maijer
Lougrashes

Postby Egmo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:03 pm

We do not agree with what the Confederates put before Parliament. We cannot agree with one of the terms proposed, but we are obviously prepared to negotiate as long as they suspend all activities related to their paramilitary.

With regards to how we envision Beluzia, we believe the Confederates have every right to continue to exist and protest for the independence of Bailon, but as a party we always have - and always will - argue that we are better off without devolving too much power to local governments.
Egmo

Postby TheCollectivist » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Your demands are ridiculous, hand over our brave men and women to your thugs? Never. Hand over our firearms, the only means of which we can defend ourselves from being kidnapped and or murdered? Absolutely never. Do you honestly expect us to agree to those demands? If so, then here is a new list of demands that the faithful leaders of our party have discussed with the core membership:

1. All weapons in use by the federal authorities are to be handed over to the Confederate Militia
2. Give the states back their rights
3. The leadership of the Democratic Labour Party must be reformed. That means all cabinet ministers within the Party - including the President - must resign immediately and hold internal party elections as soon as possible for a new leader
4. Former leaders of the Democratic Labour Party must be handed over to the Confederate Militia and must be dealt with accordingly. All other party members would not face prosecution providing the leaders of the party face justice
5. The Democratic Labour Party must publicly apologize for their actions, and the new leader must also publicly denounce the actions of his/her predecessor - it must be made clear that we must never again come this close to armed conflict

Disagree with the above demands? Maybe you should consider looking over your own. As it stands, we will not comply with your unacceptable demands. As a correction, we are not advocating at this present time that the State of Bailon become separate from the rest of Beluzia, we are advocating for the states' rights to be protected and all other states that your central planning has utterly devastated. We would like to remain one loosely tied country if possible.
TheCollectivist

Postby Lougrashes » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:18 pm

Gentlemen: You are ignoring the Chairman. These talks are possible only if we begin to find a way to at least talk to each other, to have a common ground to speak, or a way to hold this talks. Please refer back to our agenda, please direct all your statements to the chairman and not to the other party involved. Yoh should see that we are not part of the problem, so we can not be insulted. Talk to us, and the atmosphere is more calm, because we are strictly neutral.

So I propose both parties answer to my last request ans propositions in full. Let us not destroy this possibility for a peacefull solution.

Thank you very much.

Walter Maijer
Lougrashes

Postby Egmo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:23 pm

I understand. Mr. Chairman, of course we want peace. We obviously want the Confederates to suspend their paramilitary related activities for the duration of these talks and yes, we are happy to work with them for a peaceful solution. As we've said before, we envision a future where we are able to exist peacefully alongside eachother and work together in Parliament despite our differences. In terms of what we want: we want what we mentioned before. We want the Confederates to hand over their weapons to the Ministry of Defence, hand over the militia leaders and reform the current Confederate cabinet which led to this crisis. I cannot imagine Beluzia will have a better future for as long as the current President Fedor Hope and Hope's current cabinet remains a powerful force in politics.

Mr. Chairman, we will not attempt to pass any bills regarding states' rights for the duration of these talks, provided the Confederates agree to do the same.
Egmo

Postby TheCollectivist » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:42 pm

We will suspend all of the Confederate Militia's paramilitary operations for the duration of this conference, Mr. Chairman - as long as no military action is taken against us by federal authorities. We do not agree however to suspending bills relating to states' rights, as we must attempt to legalize every form of devolution possible.
TheCollectivist

Postby Lougrashes » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:56 pm

Thank you very much, Gentlemen.

I want to make it clear that our proposition is to stop all activities concerning law-making about states right just for the time being, only as long as this talks are held. Please understand that this is necessary for having a calm atmosphere. We do not want to be desturbed by new problems within parliament and government of beluzia. Let's put it this way:

Parliament and Government of the federal republic of Beluzia abstain from all controversial law-making for as long as the peace talks are held.

I am most pleased that we have reached agreement on all other points of our first proposition. When we have cleared the last problem, we shall publicly announce the begin of these talks with our formal agreement.

We will have a long time to duscuss difficult problems. It is my strong belief that both parties have their political reasoning and work in the best interests of the people they represent.

We have in every case to sort out the following questions:

What kind of state shall Beluzia be? A federal Republic or a Commonwealth?
What rights should the states have?
Who is the armed force? States Militia or federal armed forces?
In which subjects has the federal authority the right of making laws?
In Which subjects devolute these rights to the states Authority?

Please do not answer these Questions yet, just think about them, make notes for the talks to come. Direct answers are mostly not helpfull. We have to think about the questions, and we have to listen to each other. It is difficult, and either of you may feel we have to push further quite fast, but this is an error.

But one problem we have to solve quickly, the difficulty of having a government that actually works as long as these talks are held. Because the President of the Federal Republic is chosen by the will of the people, I suggest that he appoints ministers from all parties. When we are agreed that for the time being no controversial laws are passed, this should guarantee the working of the government for now.

Let me thank you very much for your help, your understanding, your courage to work together for a peacefull Beluzia.

Walter Maijer
Lougrashes

Next

Return to Diplomacy