4434 Majatran Climate Change Conference

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

4434 Majatran Climate Change Conference

Postby November » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:26 pm

The 4434 Majatran Climate Change Conference

To be hosted in Sharba, Cobura by the Coburan Prime Minister Asha Zemala.

Nations who have already pledged to attend:
Cobura
Barmenia
Istalia
Cildania
Badara
Selucia
Vanuku

The goal of the conference is to create an international treaty to protect environmentally friendly legislation in order to protect the environment and slow down global warming. Any suggestions/remarks/endorsements can be done on this topic.
Last edited by November on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
November

Re: 4434 Majatran Climate Change Conference

Postby House Spencer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:34 pm

President Horace Spencer, Jelbania:

I thank the Prime Minister of Cobura for inviting me to this conference.

My goverment is committed to protecting the environment and controlling global warming. We will be pleased to work with other nations to achieve these objectives.

On behalf of the people of Jelbania I humbly ask this conference to recognise one of the biggest threats to the environment is the bullying and domination of weaker nations by more powerful nations. We in Jelbania have firsthand experience of this. We have been nuclear bombed by Vanuku and we are harassed, bullied, exploited socially economically politcally by the tyrant governments of Vanuku and Delteria. I respecfully ask this conference to join our cause and condemn how our noble country has been treated.
House Spencer

Postby RedReaper » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:55 pm

President Filia Rigas, Kalopia;

Due to our government's undying commitment to ensuring the sustainability of the climate of Majatra if not the whole of Terra, my government has gladly accepted our invitation to the 4434 Majatran Climate Change Conference. May we by our mutual cooperation draw up an agreement to defend our planet from the devastation of climate change.
RedReaper

Postby Sisyphus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 am

Vanukean Environment Minister Sófz Jebrsme Könnyrahe:

Prime Minister Zemala,

Thank you for the invite. Vanuku is committed to the slowdown of global warming and for the betterment of our environment in general; however, it must be tempered by the need to not stifle economic growth and a time when Majatra is still feeling the effects of the economic slowdown that has badly affected many countries on this continent.

However, we do not welcome the comments of the Jelbanian President who, it seems, wishes to hijack this conference for a whole different agenda. Mr Spencer has been invited to Vanuku to discuss a way forward in terms of a continued partnership between our two countries - and matters relating to that should be reserved for that meeting.
Sisyphus

Postby House Spencer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:01 am

President Horace Spencer, Jelbania:

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=577581

Till now we have been focusing on restoring the citizen rights that were taken away from us but we are now addressing the ecological destruction forced on Jelbania by the great power oppressors.

I ask this conference to recognise environmental problems cannot be fundmentaly challenged unless the great powers are challenged to change their ways. I ask this conference too to unreservedly condemn dropping nuclear bombs as this is not good for our climate. I ask this conference to ask Vanuku and Deltaria to pay reparations to the Jelbanian people for the harm they have done and for using us as their geopolitical playground.
House Spencer

Postby Polites » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 am

Iennifer Vinicia Opis, Consul of Selucia:

I wish to thank Prime Minister Zemala for inviting me to this Conference. I have transmitted your invitation to the current Selucian government, and hopefully they will also participate and provide their feedback.

As a nation that has long been committed to ecological sustainability and eliminating the harmful effects of economic development, Selucia is pleased to see other nations recognizing the scale of the problems we are faced with. No country can tackle these issues alone, as pollution and environmental degradation have the unpleasant tendency to not recognize political borders. For this reason we believe all nations of Majatra and, in fact, all of Terra, must recognize their joint interest in tackling climate change and commit to policies that will prevent global environmental collapse. This requires a radical rethinking of our economic policies and our unsustainable infatuation with GDP growth above all other concerns. Unlike Minister Könnyrahe I believe that we absolutely must stifle economic growth. Beyond a certain point growth becomes uneconomic growth, leading to a decline in the quality of life for all but a select few. Increases in production in the most developed nations of Terra lead to overconsumption of resources and generate negative externalities that are imposed on other nations. The causes of our current crisis are the overdevelopment and excessive consumption in advanced countries, which not only do not make citizens of those nations happier, but also lead to considerable ecological degradation for all of Terra. If we are to prevent the coming catastrophe, we must recognize that stop-gap policies, like investing in renewable energy or promoting technological innovation for more efficient resource use, do not work as intended. Every "green" technology leads to a rebound effect through increased demand and ultimately leads to more resource use. We need a radical restructuring of our current economic and environmental system, and the highest priority is for us to end our dependence on economic growth, encourage advanced countries to reduce their economic activity while promoting sustainable growth in poor countries, reduce global travel and tourism, and focus on reducing consumption rather than improving technology.

I also share President Spencer's view on the role that domination and bullying by dominant nations has on the environment and on the economic well-being of citizens in weaker nations like Jelbania. I find his assessment of the situation compelling and very much relevant to the purposes of this conference. I hope the parties involved in this conflict will reach a just and fair diplomatic settlement, but that will do little to tackle the core causes of our crisis. Until the dominant nations voluntarily change their ways and end their dependence on growth we will only see the situation worsen, and the weak nations will pay the price.
Polites

Postby Sisyphus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Vanukean Environment Minister Sófz Jebrsme Könnyrahe:

We of course agree that exploitative oppression of a smaller nation by a larger one is detrimental in many ways, including having a substantial environmental impact. However, in the case of Vanuku and Jelbania, this has not been the case. Vanuku has virtually stopped Jelbania from falling into deep recession with its financial assistance to that nation; through ongoing humanitarian aid we are helping to deal with the environmental situation in the nuclear strike zone - a position that will not change unless the Jelbanian government requests it.

Additionally, In the north of the country where we hold economic sway, our own environmental laws are used as the benchmark to ensure sensible green policies are always at the forefront of thinking there.

But Honourable Consul Opis, do we really need to stifle economic growth in order to achieve environmental change? I cannot agree with this mission statement.

We must be pragmatic about what is achievable, delegates. What the Consul is asking for is a complete overhaul of the consumer-led capitalist system, which is not viable without the whole of Terra coming on board and I simply can't see that happening.

Steady, controlled economic growth with regulation in place to steer the production and purchase of greener commodities as part of this growth is surely the kind of step we should be taking in the first place. Otherwise, we are in danger of falling into a continent-wide recession at which point, I'm afraid, the good intentions of this conference and green issues in general would be sidelined while countries get back to the basics of trying to set their budgets to make ends meet.

In terms of nuclear weaponry, Vanuku has already stated it is prepared to disarm - when all other nations on the planet have agreed to that too. It is not wise to have a nuclear-free Majatra when the Northern Council and other organisations are still nuclear-capable entities.
Sisyphus

Postby November » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Asha Zemala, Prime Minister of Cobura:
First of all, I would like to thank all attendees for visiting Sharba to discuss the important issues we face today. Climate change is something that has been a very debated topic, and I see today as our chance of making big steps into a greener and more sustainable future. Furthermore, I would like to add that the first draft of the treaty is ready for your judgement. In case your government is happy with the current treaty, please let us know so we can sign the bottom of the treaty with your name.

At last, I would like to raise another point, if I may. Debate topics in this conference have mainly been ecological matters and that is good, but I have also noticed some hostility between several attendees regarding matters not relevant to this conference's goal: establishing a strong treaty to protect the environment for decades to come. I know that certain countries' actions have not been beneficial to the environment in the region, but that has already been done and therewith made irreversible. All that's left for us to do is create a plan to aid the local environments flourish again so we can help it get back to its origional state. So please, let us not debate about the good and bad in each other, but more about what we've come to do here: change the future for good.

The first draft of the Sharba Climate Accords can be found here:
http://classic.particracy.net/viewtreat ... atyid=4175

If there is anything you would like to add, remove or change, please debate this on the forum so a solution can be found. In the end, its our goal to have as many nations as possible sign the treaty.
November

Postby Polites » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:18 am

Iennifer Vinicia Opis, Consul of Selucia:

I find the draft treaty proposed by Prime Minister Zemala to adequately address our concerns and policy views. I suggest an addition to the treaty to highlight our own views on the necessity of degrowth and how it differs from a recession. We do not suggest retaining the same economic policies and just placing a minus in front of the GDP. We suggest abandoning GDP-measured growth altogether, as we consider that GDP is a misleading and arbitrary indicator which does not account for important measures of the quality of life, such as happiness, health, life expectancy, or job satisfaction. GDP is considered particularly unreliable, and many nations have either already abandoned it as a useful indicator, support a modified form of tracking GDP, or rely instead on more reliable indices such as that released by the Zardic Institute of International Relations. An article outlining the signatory nations' commitment to abandoning GDP as an indicator of economic progress would have our support. In terms of the restrictions imposed by the treaty, we would also suggest restrictions on advertising, in order to reduce visual pollution and tackle overconsumption, restrict planned obsolescence, and require companies to focus on quality instead of quantity. We also suggest that signatory nations be required to implement some form of universal basic income or citizens' dividend, in order to allow for a reduction in overall consumption and productivity without harming the poorest members of society.
Polites

Postby November » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:57 am

Asha Zemala, Prime Minister of Cobura:

Thank you miss Opis for your remarks. Cobura couldn't agree more with an inclusion of aid for those who seem to be affected the first when overconsumption gets battled. In our opinion, this would be the farmers, who would need to change their way of cultivating and will have to spend a lot of money in becoming more environmentally friendly. Therefore, we propose to include the following articles into the treaty about ''Government agricultural and farming subsidies policy.'':
- The government subsidises the operations of low-income farming families.
- The government subsidises agriculture based on market demand for the crop being grown.
- All agricultural operations are state-owned and operated.
- Agricultural crops which are considered beneficial to the enviroment or to the continued ecological safety of the state are subsidized.

This way, we can ensure decent funding for agricultural operations when they need to innovate.

On your remarks concerning the measurement on the wealth of nations, we agree with your views regarding the inaccuracy of the GDP and would love to explore further alternatives with Selucia.
November

Next

Return to Diplomacy