Nuomonde-Vanuku Conference

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

Nuomonde-Vanuku Conference

Postby IsleofSalkuo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:12 pm

The 4452 Nuomonde-Vanuku Conference
The President of the General Assembly has invited these 2 nations to make a deal regarding the current situation. The situation as of now is as follows;
-Nuomonde has been trying to export resources to help its economy grow
-Vanuku's government subsidies to its own farming community are making it difficult for Nuomonde to sell into that country.

Once a deal has been reached regarding this situation, a GA Resolution shall be done by the President of the General Assembly; Kyle Mizzi
This is to ensure that a situation like this doesn't happen again.
Cildania-GCP

The United Badaran Front

Federální Libertariánská Společnost[Deltaria]
IsleofSalkuo

Re: Nuomonde-Vanuku Conference

Postby Sisyphus » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Vanukean Trade and Industry Minister, Jezklune Shtén:

Thank you President Mizzi.

I have come here to hear, first hand, the arguments being put forward by the delegation from Nuomonde regarding agricultural trade and the subsidies we have dispensed to assist our domestic farming community.

I am also here to explore the options for fair trade opportunities with Noumonde based on the conversations held in the general assembly.
Sisyphus

Postby Aquinas » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Tombovelo Tsitohery, Prime Minister of Noumonde:

On behalf of my government, I wish to convey our gratitude to the Vanukean Trade and Industry Minister, Jezklune Shtén, and the President of the General Assembly, Kyle Mizzi, for agreeing to meet myself and my Deputy Prime Minister, Louis Poullain, in order to discuss the issues related to the agricultural market.

It is our strong view, and also the strong view of a number of other third world governments, and also the view of a number of international aid and international development organisations such as the Terran Poverty Relief Association (TPRA) that the governments of Terra's wealthiest countries should cease subsidising their agricultural exports in order to give poorer countries a better chance at cashing in on agricultural exports on the world markets.

We also believe action should be taken to ensure third world nations get fairer prices for the agricultural products they export. At present, we feel the huge global corporations are able to put unfair pressure on our producers to lower their prices.

There are also issues with agricultural labourers in countries like Noumonde not getting a fair deal from their employers. In Noumonde, my government is working to remedy this, although progress is slow, and we are seriously hindered by the lack of international support for our International Noumonde Fund for Land Redistribution.

Noumonde and other third world nations face serious challenges on many fronts, but to turn to practical matters now, we believe it would be enormously helpful if Vanuku would be prepared to agree to the following very limited and reasonable requests:

i) To set itself a target of eliminating all of its agricultural subsidies and agricultural tariff barriers by the year 4500.

ii) To work with His Excellency Kyle Mizzi, ourselves and other interested parties to prepare a World Congress resolution calling on all nations ranked as "Strong" or "Very Strong" economic powers by the Zardic Institute of International Relations to work towards eliminating all of their agricultural subsidies and agricultural tariff barriers by the year 4500.

iii) To make a donation to the International Noumonde Fund for Land Redistribution and encourage other international partners to do as well.

iv) To pass laws requiring Vanukean companies not to purchase agricultural products from producers who unacceptably exploit their labour and/or cause unacceptable harm to the environment.
Aquinas

Postby Sisyphus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Prime Minister Tsitohery,

Firstly, let me say that after discussion with the Prefect I am glad to tell you our nation will be making a donation to the International Noumonde Fund for Land Redistribution. The amount is yet to be decided but it should substantially help with your programme to assist agricultural labourers.

We continue to analyse our subsidies programme and the tariffs we place on imports to ensure fair trading with other nations but also to ensure the demand in our country for goods is met and that prices remain competitive.

Thus, when it became clear that demand for crops likes wheat and maize was outstripping domestic supply and overseas merchants were putting up their prices as our supply requirements went up, we had to act by incentivising our own farmers to grow more of these crops. This is not a concerted effort by our government to stop countries like your own from being able to export your produce but an attempt to match supply to demand and ensure the price of a loaf of bread, for instance, does not skyrocket and inflationary forces do not take a grip.

If and when the situation reaches an equilibrium we could reassess the subsidy system used in our country.

That said, as was mentioned previously, we would be very interested in exploring options to trade extensively with you and other tropical nations for the goods and commodities that we simply cannot grow ourselves. I believe you mentioned coffee, vanilla, sugarcane, cloves and cocoa to our ambassador. We believe tariff free deals to buy these crops over a prolonged period would more than compensate for losses you say are affecting you in exporting what we would call more traditional crops.

In terms of your fourth point, we are willing to pledge to regulate so that our companies will not purchase agricultural products from producers who unacceptably exploit their labour force. Additionaly, we are already committed to many of the environmental concerns you have mentioned as part of our signing up to the Sharma Climate Accords.
In fact, we would be delighted to see this pledge form the basis of a World Congress Resolution and would eagerly work with President Mizzi to prepare the documents and present it to the GA.
Sisyphus

Postby Aquinas » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Tombovelo Tsitohery, Prime Minister of Noumonde:

Vanuku's response here does not give us everything we were hoping for, but it does go a long way towards meeting our objectives for this meeting, and for that I can only offer Jezklune Shtén, the Vanukean government and Kyle Mizzi my considerable gratitude.

Since it appears Vanuku is not willing to go so far as to support a resolution calling for the richer countries to end agricultural protection by the year 4500, I wonder whether it would be possible to support a different worded resolution instead? Perhaps a resolution calling on all "Very Strong" and "Strong" economic powers to "carefully consider the impact of their agricultural polices on third world nations heavily dependent upon agricultural exports"?
Aquinas

Postby Sisyphus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 am

Prime Minister
The Vanukean government agrees with the new wording you propose. It is broadly aligned to our nation's outlook on this matter without being so rigid it dictates adherence to very specific policies.

We therefore ask a resolution be drafted along these lines, which we will endorse.
Sisyphus

Postby IsleofSalkuo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 am

It seems like we have reached an agreement. I shall be drafting and proposing a resolution soon on the agreed terms. I thank you all for attending this summit.

~Kyle Mizzi
Cildania-GCP

The United Badaran Front

Federální Libertariánská Společnost[Deltaria]
IsleofSalkuo

Return to Diplomacy