UNT Security Council Meeting

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

Re: UNT Security Council Meeting 2746

Postby Rumbold90 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:08 pm

Christa Baggesen slowly rose from her seat. Her age and increased responsibilites didn't help her arthritis. She had been thinking about retiring, but all these emergency sessions and early meetings were getting to her. She was going to ask the Archduke if she could retire.

She was alarmed by the growing factionalism in the UNT. Not wishing to travel on this dangerous road, she did the most dangerous thing politically possible:

"The Delegation from the Archduchy of Vorona respectfully abstains. I would also like to bring up the issues concerning Lodamon's quartine of international waters and would like to hear the reasons for such an unexpected and violent move."

Christa sat down, fully aware that her question would bring chaos and further debate in the UNT Security Council.

"Damn foriegners." she said to herself, "Why did I have to be an ambassador and work with idiots when I could have just stayed in Vojnov Pokrik, worked in the factory and had a good life there?"
United Worker's Front
Mordusia
Rumbold90

Postby Freelancer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:23 pm

After careful consideration of the situation, it is also our believe that the factionalism in Hobrazia isn't something that the United Nations of Terra should intervene in anyway and to recognize any delegates of both factions in Hobrazia as a delegate to UNT will only leads to a conclusion that the UNT have decided to support one faction over the others.

We agree with the representative from Darnussia and Barmenia. We vote for the seat of Hobrazia representatives to the UNT to be vacant. We also support the motion by the Archduchy of Vorona regarding Lodamon's quarantine of international waters.

Stephen Beck
Pontesian Permanent Representatives to the United Nations of Terra
Freelancer

Postby rep » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Ms. Veronica Mayday was sitting furiously in her seat, being astonished by the short-sightedness of the ambassadors sitting around her. She was stunned by the fact the how useless was these whole meeting in practical terms.
After the Pontesian Representative sat down, Ms. Mayday rose up to speak:

"The world factionalism was frequently used by the honourable Ambassadors during this meeting related to the nations who want a firm stance on the Hobrazian crisis. But factionalism is not commited by us. I do not want to accuse nobody of pursuing selfish interests, but I have to say that people are sufferring in Hobrazia by heavy repression and police terror. I observed that the honourable Ambassadors did not take into account the evidences presented by us, the only practical issue raised so far. The venerable General-Secretary also skipped our evidences.
This body will not be able to reach a fair decision in real time.
There are countries which do not want to intervene in Hobrazia but want to sanction Lodamun because of the quarantine, which by the way, serves the entire Terra. These countries are driven by questionable economic intrests.
I solemnly ask everybody to reconsider the issue with utmost responsibility
."
Last edited by rep on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." (Winston Churchill)
rep

Postby jethro » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:20 pm

The delegate of Hobrazia would like to state that this chamber has no authority within the UNT Charter to act in the way it currently is.

These procedures are simply not recognized by the rules. I assume the rationale is Chapter II Article 6: "A Member of the United Nations which has persistently violated the Principles contained in the present Charter may be expelled from the Organization by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council." I recognize the right of the UNT to expel countries under this language, however it cannot bar rightfully selected appointees from a sovereign state. And the prerogative is not left with the Secretary General, but rather on the basis of a vote which must pass the Security Council under what must be normal procedures, since no mention is made of any special procedures.

Given the fact that Hobrazia is a permanent member under Chapter V Article 3 Subsection 1: "The Security Council shall consist of the first fifteen ratifying Members of the United Nations. The first five ratifiers shall be permanent members of the Security Council," and that under Chapter V Article 27 Subsection 3: "Decisions of the Security Council on all other matters shall be made by an affirmative vote of nine members including the concurring votes of the permanent members [...];" Hobrazia can choose not to include its concurring vote in this matter. So the expulsion of Hobrazia will not be agreed to.

This is not even to mention the fact that Hobrazia is the victim of several lies and grave injustices here. As of yet we have committed no aggressive acts or anything violating the global peace, so the idea that we are violating the principles of the UN Charter is laughable. Lodamun, however, has seen fit to declare a quarantine well outside its territorial waters and in blatant disregard for the Law of the Sea, under which quarantine a Hobrazian vessel was willfully destroyed while trying to peacefully pass through to Egelion. Regarding the idea that Hobrazia is an aggressive nation that threatens world peace, we must point to the Defense of the Realm Act in Luthori which is currently set to pass shortly, and even more chilling is the Policing Action In Hobrazia bill which has been proposed by one of the leading political parties there. We also must put forward as evidence Lodamun's frightening Executive Order 009- Creation of Task Group Alpha 1 Interceptor. Under such circumstances it is absurd that our nation should be slandered for building up our defensive military in what research will show was a response to these demonstrations of clear aggression, and that anyone would challenge our imperative to build defensive fortifications along our border with Lodamun following their bellicose actions is simply insane. The idea that Hobrazia is particularly opposed to democracy is equally fatuous. The nation of Hobrazia allows elections that are far freer than those in Lodamun, where the entire system is deliberately and systematically rigged to ensure the Liberal Party's victory, and all of our domestic policies have been well within the law as granted to us by clear and overwhelming mandate of the Hobrazian people. We must also categorically deny that we were involved with the attack on the UNT building, proxies of an organization some of our governmental leader are involved in commenced the attack without authorization from the chain of command, and have since been thoroughly reprimanded for their undesirable and dangerous action.

Therefore, as per proper UNT procedure as lain out quite clearly in the UNT Charter, the authorized delegate of Hobrazia vetoes this absurd and blatantly factionalistic measure.

~Jorgé Fernandes
Ambassador of Hobrazia
jethro

Postby Emunim » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:21 pm

"We agree with the sentiments of the Hobrazian representative, however we feel it would be best if the General Secretarys request for the Hobrazian Ambassadors to abstain from comment was respected. That said, we question the logic of how the Hobrazian representatives vote and veto powers can simply be ignored upon command from the General Secretary.

We appreciate the desire for pragmatism from the Rutanian Ambassador, however what is being proposed is far more than pragmatism. There is no logic to granting outside nations the ability to decide who should represent another nation- doing so is a grave attack on national sovereignty. There is no reason why a change in Ambassador should result in the refusal by the UNT to accept a new Ambassador or strip a nation of its place in the Security council; doing so sets such a dangerous precedent that we question how the UNT could properly function if such actions were allowed. Human rights abuses and aggressive military postioning, real or percieved, are undoubtely bad things, and while they may allow for the expulsion from the UNT, they do not grant the right for the UNT to appoint an Ambassador for Hobrazia. The UNT must act lawfully.

We would also like to join Pontesi in support of the Archduchy of Vorona motion on Lodamons quarantine, once the issue of Hobrazia has been concluded. More generally we would like to discuss the possibility of formulating a more comprehensive Laws of the Sea, that would give the UNT Security Council more scope to act."

Selim Haiysrmko
UNT Ambassador for Barmenia
Emunim

Re: UNT Security Council Meeting

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

"Since this is a vote to agree on who to sit, neither of Hobrazian's representative can vote given the fact that they are no seated.

I would like to ask all the ambassadors to please just cast their vote as instructed. We will deal with any other matter later but please just cast your vote, give a reason for it if you want to, and that's it. That will keep with meeting much organized for all of us and those watching on the outside.

Thank you."

Elizabeth Kynes
Minister of Foreign Affairs
United Republics of Lodamun
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Emunim wrote:"We agree with the sentiments of the Hobrazian representative, however we feel it would be best if the General Secretarys request for the Hobrazian Ambassadors to abstain from comment was respected. That said, we question the logic of how the Hobrazian representatives vote and veto powers can simply be ignored upon command from the General Secretary.

So much for liberty.

~ irrational demonstrator outside the building's entrance.
Last edited by GreekIdiot on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:21 pm

OOC: George, no commenting here unless you are speaking for your country please. Thank you!
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby admtrap » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Elric raised an eyebrow; while there had been a "vote" called, it was not entirely clear what the question of the vote was. Perhaps it was a mistranslation, or Terran parliamentary procedure varied widely from that of Nihaton... well, that was pretty likely, actually, given that the Secretary-General had no beer mug before him.

"Mr. Secretary-General, my apologies for the clarification; if the question is 'Who shall be seated to represent Hobrazia,' Darnussia reiterates its vote of neither. If, however, the question is 'Which of these two honorable gentleman shall be seated in Hobrazia's chair,' Darnussia abstains. We respectfully consider the question premature."
admtrap

Postby Rumbold90 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Christa Baggesen was annoyed...still. She had been sitting in her chair for almost two hours and nothing had happened. Finally, there was a call to vote. She thought that they had already voted, but she wasn't to sure. She was getting old, and wasn't able to do nothing for long periods of time. She quickly stood up:

"Mr. Secretary-General, if I may. I would like to say that I beleive that the the Honorable Ambassador from Rutania's comments were directed toward the delegation from Vorona. She mentioned "questionable economic intrests" regarding our beleif that the quarintine in the international waters surrounding Lodamun should be investigated. I would like to state, here and now that Vorona has no "questionable economic intrests", that is of course, if you beleive that the sale of salt and wheat are "questionable?" Vorona has a weak economy, yes, but, more importanlty, we beleive that international law should be followed, not broken. That way when people do bad things, they don't point fingers. That is all Mr. Secretary-General. I apologize for the interuption."

Ms. Baggesen sat back down and told her aide to abstain for her. She pulled out a bag of Voronan potato chips called "Crunchers". Seeing that the delegation beside her from Barmenia didn't have any delicious potato chips, she told her other aide to go over and offer them some.

"Oh, by the way! Get me a mineral water!" she yelled to him as he walked over. She pulled out a magazine she had bought in one of the local shops and began to read.
United Worker's Front
Mordusia
Rumbold90

PreviousNext

Return to Diplomacy