UNT Security Council Meeting

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

Re: UNT Security Council Meeting 2746

Postby rep » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:02 pm

Notes by Veronica Mayday - Evidences:
1. Military build-up:
- the article in the Terra's Dawn entitled: "Military Improvement Program Complete"
- the report by the Hobrazian Broadcasting Corporation entitled: "Construction of Fortifications Begins Along Luthori Border"
(This second article accusing the UNT member, the Holy Luthori Empire, of planning aggression against Hobrazia)

2. Restricting individal liberties + crimes against humanity
- the bill "Providing for the Security of our People" introdces death penalty for all minor crimes and offences, police and military de-facto fusion and legalizes slavery and slave trade
-the division of Hobrazia in 4 regions, for imposing more efficiently police terror
3. Hostility toward the international commnity:
- a recent bill proposes that the Emperor should give bounties in exchange for each captured or murdered Lodamese official

I believe these evidences are displaying perfectly the criminal character of the Hobrazian authority.
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." (Winston Churchill)
rep

Postby Sam » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:54 pm

The construction of fortifications is an act of a defensive nature. If we were planning to attack Luthori, there would be no point in building fortifications. Military build-up is required to combat internal terrorism and defend Hobrazia's borders.
"The FSB finally caught him for talking shit about replacing Putin with this "Saiser" character. I'm guessing they're up to his seventh toenail by now."
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Postby Rumbold90 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:17 pm

The Royal Government of Vorona is prepared to take any economic action against the government of Hobrazia. Unlike some UNT members, we beleive that economic action, although harmful to the people, will quickly turn into a revolution, supported by the Hobrazian people and their true government, which will depose the false government of Hobrazia and bring back peace and prosperity to Hobrazia.

Christa Baggesen, VGs
Deputy Minister of Foriegn Affiars
Voronan Ambassador to the UNT
United Worker's Front
Mordusia
Rumbold90

Postby Mr.Yankees » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:46 pm

I agree with the gentlewoman from Rutania. Hobrazia is clearly violating civil liberties at will. Arrest, torture, unjust and cruel punishments are among the few of the radical actions taken by such government.

The military building is certainly worrisome and Lodamun will keep a very close eye on that situation.

This Council must definitely take some sort of action whether economic sanctions or any other sanction.

Elizabeth Kynes
Minister of Foreign Affairs
United Republics of Lodamun
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Darvian » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:27 am

UNT Emergency Security Council Meeting of 2746

The Members of the Security Council are:
    Pontesian Dynastic Empire
    Republic of Cobura
    Darnussian Democratic Republic
    Federation of Zardugal
    Kafuristan, Terran Caliphate
    Republic of Kirlawa
    Commonwealth of Rutania
    Trigunskaya Respublika
    Democratic Republic of Aloria
    People's Democratic Republic of Barmenia
    Valruzian Federation-Permanent Member
    Al'Badara, Terran Caliphate-Permanent Member
    Hobrazian Imperium-Permanent Member*** (Read post below!)
    Archduchy of Vorona-Permanent Member
    United Republics of Lodamun-Permanent Member

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secretary General Thamion had awoken abruptly by his interim staff. Having been up half the night reading the various bylaws of the UNT Charter the elderly diplomat was more than irate to hear that the Security-Council had convened without him being notified. After a solid hour long tirade about the episode, Secretary General Thamion calmed himself down and set himself down at his desk preparing his documents for the meeting. Another hour had passed and the meeting was raging on, a staffer for the Secretary General urged Mr. Thamion to take leave at once to which he merely replied, "I'm the current Secretary General, as far as I'm concerned the meeting will start when I arrive." With that, the elderly statesman gathered up his papers and took leave to the United Nations complex.

The Secretary General walked into the Security-Council chambers for the special session he had ordered convened this day. Still slightly annoyed that the meeting had started without him, the Secretary-General was not in the mood for any nonsense on this day and he quietly hoped no Ambassador would decide to challenge the Secretary-General's declarations for this emergency session of the Security Council. The General-Secretary was aware of what had been spoken of during his absence and during his walk through the chambers he took note of the members already in attendance and ensured to glare at the Ambassadors whom had thus far wasted their time in their motions before the Security Council.

Taking to the rostrum the General-Secretary stood overlooking the chambers and contently reached into his briefcase and laid out his documents for the meeting. After the chamber had quieted down, General Secretary Thamion took his gavel in one hand and slammed it down on the lectern. "The first emergency session of the United Nations of Terra Security Council shall now convene by right of Article 20 of the U.N.T. Charter" Mr. Thamion shot a look across the room nearly daring someone to object to this rather unorthodox style. "As the acting General-Secretary I called for this meeting to convene today in light of the events presented before the General Assembly's first session yesterday."

"As I understand it, the only members within this chamber who have the right to speak are those on the Security Council. At the next session of the General-Assembly it is my duty as General-Secretary to report the findings and resolutions of this meeting with the consent of the majority of the Security Council per Article 12.2 of the U.N.T. Charter."
The Secretary-General pulled his reading glasses from inside his suit-pocket and placed them on the brim of his nose as he produced a piece of paper.

"The first order of business that is of paramount concern to seeing that this meeting is conducted properly is to come to an agreement on whom the Ambassador of Hobrazia is. It is my understanding that Ambassador Nico Neesam was the original member of the Hobrazian Imperium prior to the recent elections whereupon the factions of Nova Terra now control the Imperium. I will be putting this measure to a direct vote to the U.N.T. Security Council's Ambassadors however, I would like to point out the two items in respect to this situation."

" Upon the ratification of the United Nations of Terra it was conducted by the former parties in Hobrazia and the current opposition parties there today. As such, it would seem logical that Ambassador Nico Neesam is seated in this chamber today. Now, as the first Secretary-General it is my duty to be impartial and in respect to these duties I shall propose with this measure that as General-Secretary I will gladly engage in direct-talks with the Ambassador from Hobrazia who represents the Nova Terra wing of the Imperium. It is within the charter of the U.N.T. that opposition parties and nations not within the U.N.T. are to use the office of the Secretary General as a place to provide information on events pertinent to Terra at large."

"Now I would ask that both Ambassadors from Hobrazia abstain from comments until a vote has been processed on this matter. If a member of the Security-Council would like to propose and the proposal is seconded by another Ambassador, the Ambassadors from Hobrazia will be given a chance to answer any direct questions from their colleagues in this chamber. Now…"
The Secretary General looked to the clerk of the Security Council.

With a quick nod of approval the clerk began the roll call. "The Secretary General has issued a call to order, would the Ambassadors present cast their votes on the proposal before us. The floor is open to the honorable Ambassadors of U.N.T. Security Council!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Alright, some of you might not like my style here and that's your right. This debate is going to spiral out of control without some form of control. I am, I feel, practicing extreme impartiality by the proposal above. I feel it is important quite clearly as nearly this entire meeting will be focused on the Hobrazian/Nova Terra issue. I have no ruled anything other than for the Ambassadors present to state how they feel about who should or shouldn't be present representing Hobrazia. As the U.N.T. charter outlines every nation and party is able to use the office of the Secretary-General as a proxy to all the organs of the U.N.T. I have not silenced either Ambassador from Hobrazia out of an agenda. The other members of the council need to vote on this and we need to come to a resolution as two-Ambassadors here for one nation is against the U.N.T. Charter and I'm sticking to this like it or not. The decision on who to seat, or to seat both is no longer in my hands-it's in the hands of the 14 other Ambassadors present. So if anyone has a problem with this, I suggest you rally the other Ambassadors to your agenda. Thank you.
Last edited by Darvian on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darvian

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 am

OOC: Sorry that I posted OOC here. There was a slight confusion but all has been cleared up. You may all proceed to the voting phase and cast your vote on the motion.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:25 am

Lodamun votes to allow Nico Neesam as the ambassador from Hobrazia. We highly encourage the other members to vote the same way.
Mr.Yankees

Postby rep » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 am

Rutania has already expressed its sympathy towards Nico Neesam. Thus the vote of Rutania goes towards Nico Neesam. We also join to the statement of the Ambassador of Lodamun.

Veronica Mayday,
Rutania
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." (Winston Churchill)
rep

Postby admtrap » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:01 am

Hans Elric took a deep sigh; his boss was supposed to have been here, but there was still no word on even who the person would be. A lifetime functionary of the Foreign Affairs ministry, Elric had figured he was due for retirement as an Ambassador to some relatively friendly nation. Lord knew he'd paid his dues. But political fortunes had shifted rather drastically back home, and instead of being in line for a promotion, he'd been reassigned from being a Consul in Lodamun to being an assistant to the UN Ambassador... mostly because he was already in-country. Now, as he sat in the seat assigned to Darnussia, he frowned; this was above his pay grade, for sure. Still, someone had to say it.

"If I may, Mr. Secretary-General. While my nation has the deepest sympathy for the plight of the Hobrazian people, I must note that we may be setting a terrible precedent. This body represents nations, not particular political factions within those nations; no matter how... personally distasteful we may find those factions. We should not allow our personal disapproval of the new Hobrazian regime colour our decision here, however. Hobrazia is a sovereign member of this body, and whether the current occupants of her capital are lawful or not is a matter for Hobrazian law and the Hobrazian people to determine. The facts on the ground, as they stand, make it clear that the Nova Terra faction has actual authority to make an appointment to this body. International law also makes clear that the Secretary General, as the Head of State equivalent for this body, has the authority to refuse to certify an Ambassador, and demand an alternative; but does not have the authority to choose that alternative on Hobrazia's behalf. It is also doubtful, legally, whether Ambassador Neesam can represent Hobrazia presently under any circumstance, as I understand it, since he has accepted Lodamun's generous, humanitarian, and eminently lawful offer of political asylum, and therefore has effectively become an expatriate, if not a Lodamunese citizen outright."

"However, there has been troubling evidence that the new Hobrazian government is tied to the tragic events recently in this very city, including an attack on this very institution. Were that to be the case, we could only consider it an act of war against this body, and grounds for the Secretary General to wisely refuse to accept any envoy from such a belligerent until such time as the threat of violence has passed."

"It is therefore the vote of Darnussia that no representative representing Hobrazia be seated, that the chair for Hobrazia be left vacant as a reminder to every nation in this body of the tragedy befalling the Hobrazian people at this instant, and that we proceed to discuss the situation in Hobrazia as a reduced council of fourteen. Further, we suggest that the chair for Hobrazia remain vacant, until such time as either a regime not connected to violence against the United Nations takes power there, or that the Secretary-General and this body is satisfied that the new Hobrazian regime has no connection with the attacks here and no hostile intent towards the UN as an institution, regardless of its potential feelings towards its neighbors."
admtrap

Postby Emunim » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:18 am

"We remain convinced that this measure is driven by factionalism. Furthermore we object in the strongest possible terms to the idea that other nations should have more authority over who represents a nation than its own government. This sets such a dangerous precedent that we would be forced to question the integrity and usefulness of the UNT before it had even had a chance to prove it had any.

We would agree with the representative from Darnussia, though we are not yet convinced that concrete links have been established between the Hobrazian Government and the attacks on the UNT. However we view the refusal to seat a Hobrazian representative as the only possible action that can be taken. As such we will not participate on a vote where outside nations decide on who represents Hobrazia, as such a vote is legally dubious and certainly a grave violation of national sovereignty."

Selim Haiysrmko
UNT Ambassador for Barmenia
Emunim

PreviousNext

Return to Diplomacy