The Olinthus Conference: Quanzari-Solentian State Visit

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

The Olinthus Conference: Quanzari-Solentian State Visit

Postby Zanz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:29 pm

OOC: Closed to all but myself, meritocracy, and Sir Thomas Hill (should he see fit to post) as well as anyone given permission by Sir Thomas Hill or myself to speak on behalf of the Solentian government, and anyone given permission by meritocracy on behalf of Quanzar. I am open to TGs with questions but please refrain from posting OOC here. This RP will utilize fluid time, and all proceedings should be understood to take place in June 3294 unless otherwise stated. I am RPing in my capacity as Solentian Foreign Affairs Minister Alisa Kansar Harrison.

The Federal Republic of Solentia
Olinthus, Shinatawa
Supreme President Auric Myer International Conference Center and Exposition Hall

June 3294

The stage was set at the Auric Myer Conference Center in Olinthus. A cool easterly breeze, carrying with it the pungent smell of the sea, rustled the leaves of the well manicured shrubbery outside the stately building. Modern aesthetic had been added to the construction over the years, but the original decor, aged and impressive, remained as a testament to the building's Radical Nationalist namesake.

Within the building bustled many Solentian Foreign Affairs ministry officials, junior officials, and interns. A substantial number of the most trusted diplomatic minds in Solentia had been assembled from across Terra for this, the most important moment in Solentian international affairs for some time.

The Quanzari delegation had landed ten minutes ago.

In a well-adorned conference room on the third floor, Foreign Affairs Minister Alisa Kansar Harrison sat, surrounded by aids, going over the last pieces of information, the last communications with Supreme President Leylabi in Halion. The newly-appointed Minister, sister to 2406 Party Chair Michael Victor II Kansar, was working with the blessing of Mr. Leylabi in her arrangement of this conference. It would be her first - and perhaps even most important - contribution to the international relations of the Federal Republic. She was, naturally, bitingly nervous. But her years of political experience and her natural charisma did not allow her face to show her internal furor of emotion. She was the picture of determined serenity. She stood tall and regal; brown hair fell to her shoulders in wavy locks. Her eyes were a piercing grey-blue, a genetic heirloom passed down from Victor Kansar himself.

She overlooked the agenda for the conference once more:

• Discussion and resolution of previous Quanzari-Solentian disagreements (to include discussion of the Calydon Accord).
  • Discussion of free trade, open border, tourism and cultural exchange agreements.
  • Discussion of future formal Quanzari-Solentian relations.
  • Any other business.

A knock split the loud murmur in the room and silence fell. An intern stood at the door.

"Mrs. Foreign Affairs Minister," said he, with a nervous crack in his voice. "The Quanzari delegation has arrived."
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Re: The Olinthus Conference: Quanzari-Solentian State Visit

Postby meritocracy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:29 am

The Quanzari delegation arrives, W Johnson, Minister of Foreign Affairs, was known publicly to be the Speaker's lapdog. Paul II, Duke Belisarius called the shots in the "Southernmost Nation." and had made a career out of surprising enemies who'd underestimated him, including the entire Fiamma party and the House of Trillion. His father, David II had once pulled the Solentian Crown Party's string's before the 3rd Emigration, and though he'd never adapted to life as an exile, and died, some said of either a burst ventricle or broken heart, he had taught his son well.

Along with these two came a curious bureaucrat. While W. Johnson wore a normal bespoke business suit of whatever it was they were wearing in Lodamun this year, and Paul II was more conservatively dressed with various bands depicting his aristocratic titles and holdings, Olivetti Ghini was dressed in a simple long shirtlike garment favored by Majatrans, but covered in strange arcane and mathematical symbols. It addressed him as a Gnostican, one of the strange minority religion in Quanzar they worshiped wisdom itself and did extensive training in mental arts to improve their memory and cognition. The higher orders of their priesthood were said to be able to store many volumes of text in their heads and handle complicated equations verbally without the aid of writing. This one was clearly no slouch or he would not be here. There were rumours that the Restorationists did not trust computers..

"Good day to you citizens of the great Federal Republic. I hope you do not mind if we bring our recorder?" Paul II said casually, nodding to Olivetti. Such a rare and preposterous thing as a high functioning Gnostican was clearly not to be used as a mere conversation recorder. His pupils were unnaturally wide and he stared at everyone intently.

"To be here is to serve" he said quietly.

W. Johnson beamed like a salesman, "It really is smashing to see you all! Shall we?"
meritocracy

Postby Zanz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:20 am

Alisa surveyed the delegation critically as they entered. Before her stood the well dressed Quanzari Foreign Minister, W. Johnson; her aides had briefed her on the man's credentials, and his reputation as a yes-man preceded him. She nodded as he was introduced, and turned her eyes to the obviously aristocratic second man. A Belisarius. The name bore weight in Solentia, and his extravagant adornment bespoke its even-greater weight in Solentia's southern neighbor. Alisa was doubly aware of the man's relationship - albeit distant - to herself. He carried at least some of Victor Kansar's blood within his body, just as she did. The third man was unknown to her and his presence unsettled Alisa somewhat, and as Paul introduced him and explained his function, her stomach turned. The man must have more to bring to the table than serving as a simple recorder. His servile manner was unnerving. Nevertheless, she did not allow her unease to show, and greeted Olivetti graciously.

"Gentlemen, it is my privilege to welcome you to Olinthus. I trust that you will find the city accommodating during your stay," she said, her tone welcoming and belying none of her reservations at hosting some of the most established former enemies of her party. It was not lost upon her that only recently the 2406 Party and Solentia had driven these men from Solentia to Quanzar in exile.

As the men seated themselves, Alisa nodded to aides at the corner of the room who descended upon the table and took drink orders and poured water for everyone. The table was circular, with the Solentian delegation taking up roughly half of the table and the three Quanzari men spread out comfortably across the other side.

"As we are all busy with the matters of state, I suppose we had best get to business as soon as possible. Each of you has an agenda before you, and if you wish for any additions to be made, please tell me at any time and we will amend it to the end of the conference.

The Solentian people have received your invitation to engage in talks; that is why we are here. It is clear, I think, to both sides that prior relations between our two nations can not be allowed to dominate our relationships moving into the future. Let us let enmity be the way of the past and cooperation the way of the future."

Alisa folded her hands on the table and leaned forward. "We have received and appreciate the return of all state property controlled by the Trillion household during their rule here. The gesture has not been lost on the Solentian government and it has done much to mend any bitterness we held from the recent monarchy-republicanism debate in Solentia.

It is also well received that the policies of the past Quanzari Kingdom are not the policies of this Kingdom. The Solentian Wall has indeed crumbled, the law of the sea is respected, and there is no suspicion of oppression of minorities. Your kingdom is truly one which embraces a progressive system of governance and one with which Solentia should hold no quarrel.

We are, however, somewhat put off by your immediate withdrawal upon change of government from the Alliance of Terran Republics and alignment with the International Monarchist League. Though we know that it is a traditional alliance for your government, we do feel that alignment with either international body is caustic in this time of international conflict.

That said, our government does find that you are indeed far more amenable to Solentian interests than in times past, and we look forward to amiable relations in the future. I am personally prepared, with this in mind, to propose the withdrawal of the Solentian nation at close of these talks from the Calydon Accord of Condemnation and Sanction against the Government of Quanzar. I hope that you find this suitable."
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby meritocracy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:56 am

Paul II took a drink from a glass of water placed before him by one of his own diplomatic staff in deference to the pitcher that was already there. He acted perfectly normal about it. "Belisari only drink from their own vineyards." the saying went. They were notoriously careful when it came to poisons and traps.

"I am delighted to see Olinthus once again. It has been many years since. I thank my distant cousin for her noblesse in recognizing these changes in Quanzar, and suggesting that the time for the ending of the Calydon Accords may be at hand. As for leaving the ATR, we were threatened within months by a fellow ATR member with obliteration. Naturally we had no choice but to leave the Alliance. It clearly had no vested interest in protecting us. As for the IML, well, we realize we cannot see eye to eye regarding this, but obviously we uphold the nature of constitutional monarchies, and it behooves us to be in a league which offers tradition and protection for its members. I think that is clear to see."

"Really, it is a shame that nations cannot be in both!" The cheerful Foreign Minister Johnson chimed in. Olivetti just sat scanning the room with his eyes.

"But all that is the past and the present. The future is what I think our people want us to discuss." Paul II continued, "We would like to see, in time, a special relationship between our two countries, but it must be beneficial to both. Open trade, no tarrifs, open travel permits, joint scientific projects, and a common tourism initiative."
meritocracy

Postby Zanz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:20 am

"It is true, Minister Johnson, that it is disappointing that a nation cannot be a member of both the ATR and the IML. It is my personal belief that such a nation would serve as an excellent example of tolerance to both sides. Perhaps our nations can serve together as a symbol of tolerance on this scale.

But of course, Speaker, you are correct. The future is our foremost concern. It is decided that I will propose the withdrawal of Solentia from the Calydon Accord after the completion of this talks. I believe that my government will be amenable to this request.

As for your proposals of open trade without the imposition of tariffs, I am sure that something can be arranged. As of now the government imposes tariffs only on certain goods. We may be able to waive such tariffs as exist exclusively in trade dealings with Quanzar, assuming that the agreement is mutual.

As for opening borders, travel to Solentia is already relatively simple, with only cursory identity checks, etc. I am sure that it would be no large obstacle for a treaty between our nations to include free-travel provisions.

Joint scientific research should, of course, be encouraged. Solentian Science and Technology Minister Crassus would surely be thrilled to work with his Quanzari counterpart on such a program. I would also suggest an educational exchange that would allow Solentian higher education students to study in Quanzar's institutions and vice-versa. I believe such a program would promote tolerance and increase understanding while benefiting each of our nations' intellectual communities through the dissemination of ideas.

And of course, tourism is naturally of great importance to Solentia. We especially encourage those Quanzaris of Solentian descent to visit their ancestral land. We also would encourage a joint venture between our nations to promote the beauty of South Majatra to people across Terra. Certainly this is something we can agree upon!"
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby meritocracy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:36 am

"Would your government be agreeable to treaty to protect these provisions with special constitutional exemptions for our two nations?" W Johnson asked, on queue.

No one in the Quznari Kingdom was certain on whether the notoriously insular and politically diverse Solentia could garner enough votes for any treaty that didn't involve Olympics or Football.

Olivetti, the human recorder, spoke without being asked, "We determine at present only a 32% chance of any such treaty passing through the Solentian senate, even were it to your advantage. Likewise whileQuanzar can fully rehabilitate itself in the international community without sincerely making amends and altering course with the only nation it has ever shared a border with such a project might take at least 24 years and a great deal of influence in a worldwide situation which is becoming more and more unstable. It is necessary we must offer more, to encourage Solentian movement towards these goals."

Olivetti had barely even inflected his voice. If anyone wanted to know what a being without a soul sounded like, apparently a gifted and ancient gnostican would be a good example.

"Our thinker speaks his mind, records facts and gives the unadulterated truth as he sees it," Paul II said, smiling, "It does tend to keep us honest. What can my government do, reasonably, to see something like this come about?"
meritocracy

Postby Zanz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:37 pm

As the wide-eyed Olivetti finished his passionless monologue, Alisa raised an eyebrow with a mixture of confusion and wonderment. Was this strange man for real? He had pulled numbers from seemingly nowhere, but his confidence in them seemed absolute. And Alisa had to admit, she herself was skeptical of the Senate's approval for a treaty unless it ensured something of great value to the Federal Republic.

"I..." she began, and then stopped to compose herself once more.

"I must admit that you're right, Mr. Ghini. The Solentian Senate is not likely to support anything except if it is clearly in their interest. My administration does have a suggestion that might truly heal any rift between our nations, but it may be a bit drastic for your taste..."

She hesitated; her eyes flickered dubiously to Olivetti once again. She had an uncanny feeling that he already knew what she was about to propose.

"There is, amongst the Solentian populace, and in particular amongst those architects of the Republican Restoration, some worry that the Trillion family will return to Solentia in the future with the support of the Quanzari nation and claim sovereignty over the Federal Republic. We are, of course, protective of our efforts for democracy in Solentia and would feel better if there were insurance that no Trillion will again seek to rule in Solentia.

I know that Marius Trillion had three children, two sons who remain currently without heirs and one daughter who has married King Oswald II. Our request, on behalf of the nation of Solentia, is that the heirs of Marius Trillion relinquish their claim to any throne in Solentia. This would do a great deal to appease the republican parties in the Senate and ensure them of your nation's potential for fair dealing with ours."
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby meritocracy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:17 am

"Ah that." Paul said sitting back and crossing his leg.

"It's a touchy subject" the foreign minister said, sitting forward and templing his fingers. "You see.. his Majesty."

Paul II snorted, "Hush a moment, Wobble" he made a gesture like waving a gnat as the chastened W. Johnson turned to face his head of government. "We can play ball on that. Notwithstanding the Law of Succession's standing legality in your own nation, but that is no matter. Multo bene. I can't control the two sons of course, there are.. complications there. However Her Highness Veronica is now Queen of Quanzar. We thought this might come up. The Royal Couple are ready to remove all claim to House Trillion's fortunes."

He thought about it, "As for Marius Jr and his brother, we could expel them on some charge or other and send them back to Solentia. They never renounced Solentian citizenship, you know."

Neither had Paul and most of the aristos who'd fled, but clearly he wasn't going to mention that.

"Your government would then be free to invalidate the Trillion sons' claims, imprison them for life, or sterilize them." Olivetti Ghini observed, "None of these actions violate your constitution and would end the matter at the end of their natural life. By the common standard, this is not cruel "

"It isn't our place to say what you could do, of course!" Johnson jumped in quickly to cover up the strange gaffs of their human computer. "He merely suggests obvious options."

"But the matter would be your liberty, then, to decide how you see fit. You wouldn't have potential martyrs living abroad causing problems." Paul II said. One look in his eyes suggested what He'd do with the Trillions given a reason.
meritocracy

Postby Zanz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:01 am

Alisa listened with surprise as the Quanzari head of government acquiesced to what she had believed would be her most controversial demand. House Trillion would renounce claim to the Solentian throne. It was more than she could have hoped for.

Once again, however, Olivetti had estranged the triumphant moment with his strange suggestions of forced sterilization, life imprisonment, and various other ideas that made the Foreign Minister cringe. The Senate would never accept such draconian measures.

"Really, we needn't have the Trillion sons sent to Solentia; should they wish to remain in Quanzar they may, as far as we are concerned. If you must expel them," her eyes met with Paul's, and she thought she caught a glimpse of what she knew to be scheming. Ever the Belisarius. "We will welcome them to Solentia and their safety and freedom will be ensured. But either way, their claims to any throne in Solentia must be completely revoked."

With this matter appearing resolved, she began again. "I believe our talks have been fruitful thus far. We move now to the last item on the agenda before any other business might be addressed. Does Quanzar wish to discuss the possibility of solidifying our mutual friendship through pacts of mutual non-aggression, for instance? An outright alliance or even a mutual defense treaty may prove difficult considering your alignment with the IML, but we feel that mutual non-aggression could be beneficial. Do you agree?"
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby meritocracy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:35 am

Paul nodded. Trillions were finished and nearly bankrupt. Their use as a rallying cause to motivate royalists in the north were good enough to win them the election, but he'd had no interest in putting senile old Marius or his effeminate sons in a monarchial role. But it was interesting to see the Kansar famiy starting to reappear again. 'So the Kansars still desire the Lion throne. Glad to see there's still some fire in their gene line,' he thought to himself.

Outwardly he said, "A treaty of mutual non-agression makes sense and we will support it wholeheartedly. And might I suggest, that we do not oppose the future possibility, not now of course, of a more stronger union of mutual defence. Perhaps if you're nation were an ATR member it would balance the scales. Well that's something for a future discussion, and maybe it is out of reach, but I think if we can find that our peoples to agree to these things then we will have accomplished a great deal."

Olivetti was clearly calculating all possibilities in his noggin but wasn't saying anything. Johnson was doing what he was supposed to do, sitting around being pleasant.
meritocracy

Next

Return to Diplomacy