President Vienna of Saridan visiting Dankuk

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

President Vienna of Saridan visiting Dankuk

Postby joshnz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:26 am

PRESIDENT VIENNA BEGINS “FIRST REAL STEP” TO SOLVING LOURENNE CRISIS WITH DANKUK, DISCREDITS FOREIGN AFFAIRS MINISTER’S “AGGRESSIVE ANTICS” AND INSTEAD ADVOCATES FOR PEACE.

President Abraham Vienna after arriving at Dankuk

President Abraham Vienna of Saridan, recently arrived in Dankuk to discuss solutions to the Lourenne crisis with Dankuk’s head of state, Choesun I. President Vienna also used the chance to criticise the Foreign Affairs Minister’s unjustified needs to go into war with Lourenne. Vienna’s journey is set to be a week in length but can be extended.

A corrupt government does not mean that we must immediately invade a nation. What real purpose does an invasion have? If it is to benefit the people of that nation, then it fails because it will cause instability and loss of innocent lives to that nation. I don’t want Saridan to be blamed for a disastrous aftermath a war with Lourenne will cause. That’s why there will be no war as long as I am President. For our nation to proceed into war with another nation we need the President’s consent and I will refuse to provide consent. Our Foreign Affairs Minister, Thomas Van Locklan, does not understand war. I don’t blame him, his party (the Populist Party) is one ruled corruptly as displayed by their support of unjustified early elections that violates the respect for Saridani democracy so that the Populist Party can gain political advantage. Funnily enough, they didn’t and lost even more seats. Van Locklan has dealt with the Lourenne situation since it’s inception, rather aggressively. War should always be used as a last resort, it should not be used when one is impatient such as Van Locklan’s case. As I said earlier, War is likely to cause instability and loss of innocent lives all to overturn a corrupt government when there are other peaceful alternatives. Yes, Lourenne’s government quashes human rights and they are in fact corrupt but it should not lead to innocent’s losses. Recently, Parti libéral du Lourenne, has begun several reforms (after winning the election) and are likely to boost living conditions in Lourenne, thus decreasing any need for meaningless war. I am sure they will improve most citizens’ rights but even if they don’t improve all still provides no reason to go to war especially as many other nations in Terra don’t recognise all human rights. I and many others such as my friend Choesun I, advocate diplomacy because it works and ensures that war can be used on a last resort. However, there are rare cases when diplomacy will not work such as when the other nation refuses to cooperate or when lives at home or overseas are at risk except this is not the case.

Instead, I am pleased to be here in Dankuk, to not only signify the relationship between Dankuk and Saridan but to work collaboratively on finding a solution to the Lourenne crisis. This is the first real step Saridan has made to end Lourenne’s problems. Over the course of my visit, Choesun I and members of the Dankuk Government will discuss potential solutions before selecting the best option. In the meantime, if any proposal of war lands on my desk from the current coalition government, they will see it in the bin. This is not for just for a better tomorrow for Saridani citizens but the citizens of Terra. We need peace. Thank You.

President Abraham Vienna also answered questions from the audience.

President Vienna, during your Presidency, you instructed the evacuation of Saridani and other refugees from Lourenne. Does that mean you supported war at the current time as you believed lives were in danger? If so, why did you not declare war?

It is true, I ordered that evacuation but I did so as a precaution. I also said that war would occur if diplomacy did not work and at that point of time, Foreign Affairs Minister, Thomas Van Locklan, was pursuing diplomacy. However, in hindsight, there was no progress made at the conference due to Van Locklan’s aggressive antics. So to answer your question, diplomacy was still happening so I did not wish to declare any war.

President Vienna, how does the Populist Party’s corruptness interfere with Van Locklan’s response to war?

Well, they could be pursuing war to gain political advantage and not for the people of Saridan. Sometimes it is easy to inform the public that war is needed and that can strike a chord in the Saridan’s patriotism thus making them more likely to vote for the Populist Party despite war doing no good.

President Vienna, is there a Dankuk-Saridan treaty in the works? Will you discuss this during your visit?

Currently there is not one in the works but solving Lourenne’s crisis is the top priority as we don’t want it to develop into war. However, a treaty may be arranged in the near future as Saridan’s relationship with Dankuk grows.

Lastly. President Vienna, do you have any comments on Saridan’s current coalition government apart from their foreign relations?

All I can say is that, they have been pretty vocal about the “lack of progress” the Saridan Tomorrow Party’s government exhibited and how it degraded Saridani society. That does not marry up with the fact that they aren’t doing anything to tackle those problems they described. Perhaps, they have come to their senses.

"Democracy, Rationality and Fraternity"
joshnz

Re: President Vienna of Saridan visiting Dankuk

Postby Zongxian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:51 pm

Discussion of the Lourenne question between officials of Dankuk and Saridan

After beginning his state visit to Dankuk by meeting with Emperor Choesun I, Saridanese President Abraham Vienna proceeded to enter discussions with President Kang Hwanmu and former President Yoo Donghyun. Dialogue of the Dankuk delegation was led by Mr Yoo due to his diplomatic exchanges with President Vienna leading up to the state visit.

The rhetoric of Foreign Minister Thomas van Locklan has managed to stir up a great amount of controversy, even leading the Mikokuzin Union to make defensive preparations for possible Saridanese invasion. As far as we knew, it seemed as though war was creeping ever closer and that Saridan could take action at any time. Fortunately I came into contact with President Abraham Vienna and we have found much in common, including an opposition to military conflict in Dovani.

While there is no question that the Lourenne government led by New Reaction was corrupt and oppressive, it was hardly grounds to create a major war. Of additional fortunate, as we meet here in Dankuk, we've already seen steps towards change in Lourenne. Recent elections in Lourenne are showing great prospects. This outcome has already proven the severe error of seeking war against this third-world country. Still, Foreign Minister van Locklan seems committed to the idea, and most recently he has gained quite strong support from Luthori. My successor, President Kang, contacted the Luthori leadership about their own war threats, but their response was negative and their leader did not show the same diplomacy and intelligence as President Vienna.

Nonetheless, there is definitely hope for finding a peaceful outcome regarding Lourenne. Changes are already being seen as a result of their recent elections. And, of course, the President of Saridan has reopened diplomatic channels and is clearly interested in Dovanian peace.

Dankuk warmly welcomes President Vienna to our nation and beyond this Lourenne issue, I look forward to developing ways in which we can strengthen the relationship between Dankuk and Saridan.

After Yoo Donghyun's statement, Foreign Minister Choeyun took questions regarding the Lourenne situation and President Vienna's visit.

Foreign Minister, it appears as though progress is being made with Saridan, but what of the other nations, like Luthori and Telamon, that are being rallied by Foreign Minister van Locklan at the Allied Conference?

This is perhaps the most complicated part of this situation. Originally we were only dealing with Saridan's threats, which we now know, cannot be realized due to President Vienna's opposition to military intervention. The question now is, how willing are Luthori and Telamon to push forward with van Locklan's desires. Our biggest worry is Luthori. President Kang did contact their head of government, Rowan Spencer, and he expressed full support for intervention in Lourenne if it becomes necessary. It is our hope that the recent elections are sufficient to prevent any further pursuit of war. But this is a situation we continue to closely monitor.

Foreign Minister, the former president mentioned his hope to strengthen ties with Saridan, and President Vienna also hasn't ruled out a possible treaty. Is the Kang Government going to pursue a formal agreement with Saridan?

As expressed by President Vienna, the current priority is Lourenne. However, I will say that we are definitely interested in pursuing a diplomatic treaty emphasizing economic and cultural exchange.

Final question: Foreign Minister, as the government meets with President Vienna, what are the most major objectives regarding Lourenne?

Well, avoiding war is the most obvious. We have found significant alignment in our interests on this matter. That alone is not the only issue though. This became a problem in the first place because the Saridanese Foreign Minister sought to push for liberal democratic reforms in Lourenne, even if it meant military intervention. In the early stages, when sanctions were imposed, President Vienna was on the side of intervention. I do believe there still exists an interest by Saridan, and President Vienna, that positive change occur in Lourenne. We are not opposed to this, but as we continually emphasize, it cannot be through war. Even sanctions are questionable since, as a third-world country, they mostly serve to starve the people. I think our talks with President Vienna will have a major focus on the future of Lourenne, especially now that internal forces are working on change. As we discuss the future, we'll continue to hold important the idea of keeping Dovani free of foreign intervention and we hope to find an understanding about the differences of East and West. President Vienna clearly believes in peace and we hope to not only strengthen our bilateral ties, but also to build an understanding between Saridan and Dovani.
Zongxian

Return to Diplomacy