Official State Visit of the Rutanian Delegation to Aloria

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

Official State Visit of the Rutanian Delegation to Aloria

Postby MCHiggins » Tue May 30, 2017 12:29 pm

Planning in the Alorian capital of Craigtref is well under way for the arrival of the delegation led by the Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Rutania, Elmer Clark, in January 4219. Alorian President, Paula Brahms, and Prime Minister, Miriam Berg, extended the invitation of an official State visit some months ago in the hopes of building stronger ties with neighbours in the region. The leaders of both nations have signed a Memorandum of Understanding in the lead up to the talks acknowledging the importance of long-term growth in economic, military, and diplomatic cooperation between the two nations. In addition to these broad topics, it is anticipated that the leaders and their delegations will seek to re-launch previously failed talks on the establishment of an intercontinental high-speed rail link.
MCHiggins

Re: Official State Visit of the Rutanian Delegation to Aloria

Postby kj#2 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:35 am

President Conrad Parker and the Rutanian Delegation arrive
President Conrad Parker of Rutania

Prime Minister Elmer Clark of Rutania

Rutanian Foreign Secretary William Von-Strauss

Rutanian Secretary of State for Defense Lewis Reardon

Members of the Rutanian Delegation arrived in January 4219 to commence a historic state visit between the neighboring countries. President Parker has expressed his desire to spend the statre visit meeting the various esteemed members of Aloria's government, the President also plans to use his time to meet business leaders in attempt to encourage investment in Rutania and to encourage more commerce and trade between Aloria and Rutania. The President will remain constantly informed of negotiations however as Prime Minister Clark and his team will be in constant communication.

The Rutanian Senators Appleby and Sutton traveled separately and are expected to arrive shortly.

Prime Minister Elmer Clark gave a short statement to reporters upon his arrival:
I look forward to Sen. Appleby and Sutton's arrival so we can all sit down at the negotiating table and begin our discussions. There has been speculation that these talks are meant to revive talks of an intercontinental high-speed rail link, in reference to those rumors I would like to make it publicly known that is on the agenda of our delegation. The ultimate goal of this visit is to walk away with an agreement that aims toward greater cooperation and friendship between Aloria and Rutania. Given the economic calamity that befell our region and all of Terra many years ago that we are still struggling to come to grips with globally I believe that the most important thing we can do here is reach an agreement that will economically help the people of Aloria and Rutania and ideally all of Artania.

To even consider such an undertaking such as an intercontinental high speed rail network you must weigh the national security concerns along with a range of other issues. For that reason Foreign Secretary Von-Strauss and Secretary Reardon along with the esteemed Senators will be here to advise. I look forward to getting down to business.
Whig Party of Rutania
kj#2

Postby IntruderEmerald » Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 pm

ALORIAN LIBERTARIAN PARTY WELCOME RUTANIAN DELEGATION

ALP Leader and Internal Affairs Minister Tesni Kendrick has welcomed the Rutanian prime minister and the Rutanian delegation to Aloria. Tesni Kendrick, along with Ellis Reece the current finance minister, have been tasked with continuing the talks Reece started during his presidency regarding the intercontinental high-speed rail link. Reece is confident effective talks will be made.

Ellis Reece:
I welcome Prime Minister Clark to Aloria. We're very fortunate to have you visit. We will be taking part in numerous discussions involving a variety of issues such as trade between Rutania and Aloria, as well military cooperation. I want to quickly mention the economic instability on this continent, and of course across Terra. I don't want to see it happen again, and this is why it is so vital these talks go well, for both of our countries. I led Aloria twice through economic instability and during my last term in office we made a lot of progress. The economy is now fit for purpose and we have enjoyed sustained economic growth under the leadership of President Brahms, something which could not have happened without the strong government I led between 4213 and 4216. Unfortunately, I lost the 4216 presidential election, however my successor has continued with my government's economic programme which has massively benefited the ordinary people of Aloria. During my leadership we were on the path towards a strong economy. Now, we have achieved that strong economy we need to make sure we sustain that strong economy. That is why I want these talks to go smoothly.

The intercontinental high-speed railway project should start as soon as possible, in my opinion. During these discussions, we must talk about the funding and ownership of the project. Security of the rail link is also very high up on the agenda.
IntruderEmerald

Postby kj#2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:21 am

Prime Minister Elmer Clark of Rutania:
I must say I am delighted to be working with Ellis Reece. You reignited the idea of a high speed rail corridor, the idea was abandoned in Rutania in the 4190s but you gave it new life.

Now my staff has presented your people with our draft of the NARCA agreement, we have been informed that you would like to see the language of the agreement modified to make it easier to gain more signatory nations in the future. Our one issue with this is that it would seriously complicate the deciding the funding and ownership of the undertaking described in the agreement. A bilateral agreement we found to be the best cornerstone of this dream of an intercontinental railway.

A more comprehensive agreement would need to completely re-envision the entire planning of the undertaking since routes couldn't be decided until nations signed on. We would eager to see an alternative or here an alternative approach to the NARCA agreement. We are however interested in discussing areas of greater defense cooperation, both of our nations have a large interest at stake in the safety of sea lanes and the defense of our coast, would the Alorian government be interested in expanding this agreement to include a defense cooperation clause?

http://classic.particracy.net/viewtreat ... atyid=3755 --------------------NARCA AGREEMENT---------------------------

Foreign Secretary Von-Strauss of Rutania:
You almost forgot to mention the Brahms Accord Prime Minister.

We would like to inform the Alorian delegation that our delegation through correspondence with lawmakers back in Rutania have been debating the Accords. Overall we find it to be quite agreeable. We have found issue with Article 4.1 however. As I am sure you well know this is being debated as an "Open Border" clause, we are working to find a resolution and move forward.

Secretary of State for Defense Lewis Reardon of Rutania:
Look, Secretary Von-Strauss is trying to put it diplomatically but I will give it to you straight, for us there are a lot of folks back home questioning an "Open Border"
clause. What we need to do is calm their fears of an open border. My concern is that even with thorough checkpoints if the nations where travelers are coming from dont keep proper records such as requiring their citizens to have ID cards then we are opening ourselves up to some risk.

http://classic.particracy.net/viewtreat ... atyid=3752 -----------------------Brahms Accords------------------
Whig Party of Rutania
kj#2

Postby MCHiggins » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:33 am

President Paula Brahms of the Demokratische Republik Aloria:
Secretary Von-Strauss. Secretary Reardon. I appreciate the concerns of your citizens and I admit I shared similar concerns through the construction of the Accords. Article 4.1 states that "Borders between the Parties may be crossed at any point without any checks on persons being carried out, except where domestic policy or national security so require." This clause is far from an open border clause. It certainly encourages open borders and I won't shy away from that. However, the important caveat here is that the article suggests open borders EXCEPT where a nations policy requires otherwise. The treaty does not infringe on your right, or the right of any other signatory to impose border conditions as strict or as lax as they like.

Prime Minister Miriam Berg of the Demokratische Republik Aloria:
Prime Minister Clark, getting back to the issue of NARCA. We are supportive of the agreement in principle but have some concerns we would like addressed. Articles 3.3 and 3.4 may not be relevant in the event of the ratification of the Brahms Accords, which cover these topics in greater detail. Article 3.2 would result in even more demanding border control than presently exists and would go some way to defeating the purpose of high-speed rail. Commuters, and business, would sooner fly to Aloria which presently has an open border policy, than travel NARCA and be subject to checkpoints and identification. You are free to dictate your own national policy but we will not endorse an agreement than restricts the movement of people and goods into Aloria. Chapters 1 and 2 and Article 3.1 are all agreeable to myself and my party.

Our government has provisionally agreed to the proposed line from Port Freiheit to Port Seaborg. We propose the corridor run from Port Freiheit via Strom, Mansfeld and Llyn before crossing the border into Rutania. In Manseld, the corridor would intersect an existing domestic high-speed corridor that runs from Sildar Urbem on the west coast to the capital, Craigtref, in the east via Sulla, Mansfeld and Freiheit. Space for future corridors has already been secured between Craigtref and the Dorvish border in the north via Prif and Concordia, and between Craigtref and the Kirlawan border in the east via Cydraddoldeb.
MCHiggins

Postby IntruderEmerald » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:07 pm

Tesni Kendrick, AIP Leader/Internal Affairs Minister:
I want to assure Secretary Reardon that there is no obligation for Rutania to operate an open borders system. Like President Brahms has said, this accord does not force signatory nations to have open borders, it is only an encouragement to do so. I admit, there is a large minority, perhaps a slim majority, in my party that opposes open borders, however we recognise this treaty is not about open borders and immigration, it is strengthening the relationship between Rutania and Aloria. It is also about developing free trade between our countries to help the recovery process from the economic crash. The Alorian economy is now growing steadily, but we know the best way to maintain this growth is to trade freely with our neighbours. That is why my party is supporting the Brahms Accord, so I hope your nation can support it too.

Ellis Reece, Finance Minister
NARCA is something I feel strongly about and that is why I am so determined for these negotiations to go well. It will benefit both Rutania and Aloria, in terms of trade and tourism. It will also create jobs for hardworking ordinary people in both countries. There are some minor issues that need to be discussed, and the biggest issue for me is identity cards. Currently in Aloria, citizens are not required to carry their identity cards at all times. To make the identity card system in relation to security on the rail link work, we would need to make sure citizens had them at all times. Firstly, I think this is an infringement on people's privacy. Secondly, I don't think it will actually make anyone safer. There are numerous problems with identity cards. One of these is people can forge identity cards. Furthermore, ID cards do not stop security threats, they do not stop people illegally immigrating. Robust and credible checkpoints are required to keep people safe, but identity cards, in my opinion, are not the answer.
IntruderEmerald

Postby IntruderEmerald » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:21 pm

President Tesni Kendrick of the Alorian Libertarian Party
I would like to mention that nothing will change in these negotiations, even though I have been elected president. I am looking forward to continuing these negotiations. Furthermore, former president, and soon to be foreign minister, Paula Brahms will continue to play a pivotal role in these discussions.
IntruderEmerald

Postby MCHiggins » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:26 am

President Paula Brahms
Prime Minister Clark. We are thankful to yourself and your delegation for the diligent work conducted during these talks. We are glad to have come to an agreement on both the Brahms Accords and the NARCA Agreement. We have tabled both treaties in our Senate for a vote and hope to achieve ratification shortly.
MCHiggins

Postby kj#2 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Prime Minister Elmer Clark

President Brahms, it was our honor and pleasure to have been invited and to have taken part in these talks. We have submitted the Brahm Accords and the NARCA agreement to our legislature to be ratified. We have seen some resistance to our efforts by other parties and as we have of course closely followed the debate in your nation we know that the NARCA agreement also faces resistance there. In Rutania we have an election coming in January 4222, should the Rutanian people decide to keep the current government then I look forward to working with Aloria in the future.
Whig Party of Rutania
kj#2

Return to Diplomacy