International Conference in Hugamest (October, 4909)

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

International Conference in Hugamest (October, 4909)

Postby robmark0000 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:19 pm

The Conference to Solve the Tensions regarding the "Greater Malivia" Claims, or more commonly referred to as the 4909 International Conference in Hugamest, is an international peace negotiation dedicated to create a beneficial-for-all compromise on the recently intensifying tensions between the Greater Malivian Empire and other, sovereign nation-states, namely the Senate and People of Selucia, the Republic of Hobrazia, the Republic of Keymon, and the Confederation of Narikaton and Darnussia. All of the affected countries are invitied to the Conference, together with the Directorial Republic of Endralon which will serve as host and mediator.

The goal of the Conference is ultimately to ease the tensions and to ensure all participants will leave this chamber satisfied and that also nobody's national sovereignty will be destroyed or taken away. We would remind all participants to be patient towards each other, because good compromises only happens when the negotiating parties are open to discussion (this does not mean anyone's national sovereignty should be in danger though). At this point, I would like to encourage the invited countries to present their representatives in the Chamber and start working for peace.

Invited countries:
- Directorial Republic of Endralon (mediator)
- Greater Malivian Empire
- Senate and People of Selucia
- Republic of Hobrazia
- Republic of Keymon
- Confederation of Narikaton and Darnussia
Information: Player Profile here, Musical Profile here, Political Compass here.
World Congress Coordinator

"Only the Young can run. So run, and run, and run!" ~ Taylor Swift
robmark0000

Location: Hungary / Magyarország (my liberal soul is in prison here, big big sadness)

Re: International Conference in Hugamest (October, 4909)

Postby Aquinas » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:46 pm

Vishnu Satavelekar presents himself as the representative for the Greater Malivian Empire.

On behalf of my government and Emperor Chandragupta, I would like to thank our Endralonian hosts for organising this conference, and for the generous hospitality which has been shown to us since our arrival.

We look forward to working constructively with the other representatives gathered here to make our region more stable and prosperous.
Aquinas

Postby Aethan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:53 pm

Image Hegio Cyamus Seneca, Consul (Head of Government) of Selucia

First of all, I would like to present Mr. Vishnu Satavelekar with an edition of the book "History of Terra". After this, from Selucia we are of course willing to also contribute to make your region more stable and prosperous, since we all agree that a stable Malivia without government manipulations is a guarantee of stability in our international zone. With that said, I'd like to announce that Selucia will leave this conference room whenever Malivia makes any offer to join its territory based on "history.", and will return after it has ended.
In Marea - Civis Sinistram - Selucia Former
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Postby jellybean » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:39 pm

Image Eduard Maisuradze, Provisional President of Hobrazia

Esteemed colleagues,

We first thank Endralon for hosting this conference and Malivia and Selucia for coming together to discuss this issue. We truly hope that the proceedings will be fruitful and that we will all be able to depart from here free of fear.

Hobrazia must first make clear that the beginning and end of our negotiations is Malivia's recognition of our national sovereignty. While the "Emperor" is free to promote any historical inaccuracies he wishes, he must stop short of imposing his theories on the rest of us. If we are to have any success at this conference, Malivia must recognize Hobrazia's absolute sovereignty, without caveat or implication otherwise. Malivia must explicitly commit to abstaining from any action that undermines Hobrazian independence and from interfering in Hobrazian affairs. We demand that Malivia cease its support of the Hobaist dissenter community in Hobrazia. And finally, we demand that Malivia cease using the demeaning epithet "statelet."

If this conference is to be successful, Malivia must similarly recognize the independence of Selucia, Keymon, and Narikaton & Darnussia.

Now I must turn to a recent episode in which the despicable terrorist organization Gau Raksha Paltan poisoned the beef supply in our southern region of Deltaria, killing 12 innocent Hobrazians, injuring 70 others, and causing millions in economic damages. We demand that Malivia cease any and all association with Gau Raksha Paltan, that the four captured GRP commanders be extradited to Hobrazia, and that the Hobrazian Ministry of Justice be allowed to investigate - and, if necessary, extradite - former Minister of Cows Venkata Dhebar to determine whether he was involved in the attacks. Furthermore, we ask that Malivia reimburse Hobrazia for the economic damage caused by the attack, which their rhetoric encouraged and their complicity allowed.

We have received a list of demands from Malivia and will address each in turn.

First, Malivia asks us to release the satyagrahis being detained in Hobrazia. We will agree to this, and assure this chamber that the satyagrahis have been treated fairly and not harmed. However, we will impose the condition that these satyagrahis will be permanently banned from entering Hobrazia.

Second, Malivia asks the government to stop the operation of a burger restaurant in the former Malivian embassy complex, including the Gerajan temple. Unfortunately, I have less ability to meet this demand. The property is now privately-owned and our laws do not permit us to simply stop a business that is operating legally and safely. Nevertheless, we are willing to negotiate with the owner to buy the property and cease operation of any restaurant.

Third, Malivia has asked us to investigate allegations of Hobrazian espionage activities. I assure the representative that we already know the allegations are a complete fabrication, possibly from a Malivian supporter within our own ranks, and that no such activities have occurred. We will be launching an internal investigation to determine the source of this slander.
jellybean

Postby Aquinas » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:00 am

Vishnu Satavelekar, Foreign Minister of the Greater Malivian Empire:

I thank the two previous speakers for their contributions, and if I may, would like to offer some response.

I am most grateful to Hegio Cyamus Seneca for the copy of "History of Terra". It is an easy read, and I was able to digest much of it last night during my bedtime reading. Many of the chapters are very good and very interesting, although alas, the chapters on southern Artania are not so good.

Our ancient Gerajan (OOC: Hindu) texts show clearly there used to be a Greater Malivian Empire spanning all of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Keymon, Selucia and much more besides. The works of Professor Gopan Gummididala summarise the literature very well, combining it with a wealth of other solid historical evidence. The archaeological evidence, in particular, is convincing, and I could refer Hegio Cyamus Seneca to the groundbreaking report, Khiva worship in ancient Malivia, which proves demonstrably how Geraja was practiced in his land, and indeed all across the lands of the Greater Malivian Empire.

I could continue on and on, and it would be most interesting to do so... but perhaps it is best not to dwell too much on the things that divide us most, and focus instead on what we can practically put right together.

The beef poisonings tragedy in Hobrazia has created much confusion and mistrust. There are lessons to be learned, and my government absolutely acknowledges that. My good friend the Prime Minister has spoken about this issue and made a proposal for goodwill payments to be made to Hobrazians. We have also been clear we want to work with Hobrazia, and indeed our other neighbours, to improve cross-border security, and prevent incidents like this from reoccurring.

The commitments delivered to this meeting by my Hobrazian friend, Eduard Maisuradze, on releasing the satyagrahis, maintaining the dignity of the temple site where the Embassy used to be and investigating security service activities are most welcome. My government thanks him for this, and sees these as positive moves forward.

I now turn to what seems to be the heart of the dispute. Both the Hobrazian and the Selucian representative seem to fear their national sovereignty is threatened by my government. Let me assure them, and assure all of our neighbours, that we are and always have been committed towards achieving a Greater Malivian Empire through peaceful and democratic means. We would never take military action without the support of the World Congress and international law. Let me emphasise, this has *always* been our position. None of our neighbours has anything to fear from Malivia.

From the Malivian perspective, we have tried to communicate this message again and again, but it has so frequently been misrepresented and misunderstood. It is as though our interlocutors fear that just by the action of claiming sovereignty over the lands of the Greater Malivian Empire, we are signalling an intention to send the tanks rolling in. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I have discussed this question at length with my Prime Minister and Cabinet colleagues. After much reflection, we consider there could be circumstances in which we would be willing to describe Malivia's "claims to sovereignty" as "aspirations for the reunification of the Malivian Empire", if this might allay the alarm of some of our international partners. However, to take such a profound symbolic step would be politically sensitive for us domestically, and it would be impossible for our government - or indeed *any* Malivian government - to sell such a proposal to our electorate without being seen to achieve something positive in return.

What we would like to propose is that the governments of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon come to a mutual understanding. This would be one where the five governments all agree to respect the self-determination of their respective populations to either support or reject unification. Thereby, it will be for the peoples of the five territories to work out their own destiny for themselves. Malivia will not coerce any of the other territories to join, and by the same token, the other territories will allow their populations to freely engage in debate about unification, and will not treat as criminal or traitors any who express sentiments of sympathy for it.

My government has drawn up a draft document, provisionally titled the Hugamest Declaration, which I invite my fellow attendees to consider.

The Hugamest Declaration

The governments of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon agree to the following:

1. It is for the populations of the territories of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon to each separately determine whether to remain autonomous from one another, as at present, or to work towards exploring, negotiating and building a political union together.

2. Each government pledges to allow its population to freely discuss the issue of unification, whether in support or opposition, without fear of persecution or discrimination.

3. Each government will work, as appropriate, to facilitate a free exchange of ideas between the populations of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon in all matters related to the issue of unification, whether in support or opposition.

3. Each government commits, over the course of time, to gauge and monitor the opinion of its population on the issue of unification, and to take appropriate measures to enact the popular will in regards to this.

4. The Malivian government agrees to reframe its claim to sovereignty over Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon as an aspiration for unification.

5. All five governments solemnly declare their intention never to go to war with one another, to improve mutual cooperation and to uphold international law.
Aquinas

Postby robmark0000 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:24 am

Image Ms. Horváth Brigitta
Grand Director of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Second Directorial Republic of Endralon

Fellow citizens of Planet Terra,

I would first want to express my greatest gratitude to the attendants of this Conference, all of you did and doing a great work for your people, for your country and for this beautiful blue sphere we call Terra. We are once again proving, with our very presence, that human mind, reason and intellectuality is once again victorious over the brute barbarity of the battlefields and violence; that willingness to compromise and want for a peaceful solution worth a hundred times more than uncivilized and irrational hate towards each other. Thank you for all for this experience, we are restoring the faith of many in humankind.

The topic of course, for all of you, very sensitive. Your countries, during their long-standing existence, all experienced a form of foreign or domestic oppression, something that your current, proud and democratic societies wants to avoid by all means. Selucia, not long ago, was almost forced by the Aurorian Patriarcal Church to give up its old pride and constitution; Malivia, a country that has been oppressed by greedy East Artania Company; Keymon that tolerated the barbaric tyranny of Queen Éva for decades; and finally Hobrazia and Narikaton and Darnussia, that countries, primarily Hobrazia, suffered the Fascist yoke of the former Hobrazian government.

Lets all be totally honest, you are all nations of national traumas like this. Every concerns of yours are based on the blood and tears of your ancestors. This is why you all are probably realized that the world can't afford to let any of you return to the barbaric tyrannies you experienced in the past. And, to avoid any misunderstandings, further tensions or armed operations would no doubt result in the death of millions and the invasion of someone, even if justified; it would result in foreign yoke of a nation, something you are all experienced and you are all hating. Furthermore it would provide fuel for the cycle of hate, providing irrational reasons for the invaded nation(s) to take revenge and restart these conflicts - which would be an eternal cycle of barbarity, unleashed on Terra.

From the very bottom of my heart, I believe you do not want that. You are proved you don't want that with participating in this Conference. Acknowledging, the terrible memories of the past, with hopes and good intentions in your hearts, we ask all of you to work out a compromise, a sacred deal that will provide centuries of peace for the nations of South-Artania and Selucia. I believe you want peace. I believe you CAN DO peace. And just as the millions from your populations, watching this Conference with hopes and fears, with shaking hands; I am waiting for your wise decision.

Foreign Minister Satavelekar,

I won't act like if I would have any right to decide or negotiate, because I am completely aware of my mediator role here, but I would offer my thoughts regarding the "Hugamest Declaration", take these if any of you would like to share them. The spirit of the Declaration is, in my humble opinion, capable to provide a long-standing compromise, although I can't be sure because neither Selucia or Hobrazia shared their thoughts about it yet. But we have a particular problem with Article 3, since it will easily open a way for future instability and renewed tensions; things that you all might want to avoid.

The thought of letting nations decide whether they want to be the part of the Greater Malivian Empire is good - nobody has to fear about anything in this case. I doubt Selucians, Hobrazians, Nariks, Darnussians or Keymonites would vote for unification at any rate, and even if they would, then it is their democratic will to join, which should be respected regardless of the Malivian claims. However Article 3 would let the Malivian government to influence elections in these countries, which is a pure violation of democratic process that should be not tolerated.

We propose instead, Malivians should take an oath that neither the Malivian State or its citizens will do anything to influence elections in the affected countries (Selucia, Hobrazia, Narikaton and Darnussia, Keymon) by any means, and they shall be bounded by the Hugamest Declaration on this. We have a new, modified version of the declaration for you, that is also outlines the method of "unification" elections in the countries.

The Hugamest Declaration

The governments of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon agree to the following:

1. It is for the populations of the territories of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon to each separately determine whether to remain autonomous from one another, as at present, or to work towards exploring, negotiating and building a political union together.

2. Each government pledges to allow its population to freely discuss the issue of unification, whether in support or opposition, without fear of persecution or discrimination.

3. The Malivian State takes that neither itself, the Malivian State or its citizens will try to affect the discussions or elections outlined in Article 2, at any rate. The Hugamest Declaration will become null and void once it is proved that Malivia or Malivians violated Article 3.

4. If an election or referendum in any affected countries called about the unification with Malivia, the next conditions have to happen to the election or referendum results in joining a political union with Malivia and be respected by the Hugamest Declaration. The unification needs to have the 4/5 of the votes andWorld Congress observers with serious authority need to investigate throughout the entire campaign and election.

4. Each government commits, over the course of time, to gauge and monitor the opinion of its population on the issue of unification, and to take appropriate measures to enact the popular will in regards to this.

4. The Malivian government agrees to reframe its claim to sovereignty over Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon as an aspiration for unification.

5. All five governments solemnly declare their intention never to go to war with one another, to improve mutual cooperation and to uphold international law.
Information: Player Profile here, Musical Profile here, Political Compass here.
World Congress Coordinator

"Only the Young can run. So run, and run, and run!" ~ Taylor Swift
robmark0000

Location: Hungary / Magyarország (my liberal soul is in prison here, big big sadness)

Postby Aethan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:26 pm

Image Hegio Cyamus Seneca, Consul (Head of Government) of Selucia

Selucia categorically rejects this agreement. To accept it would be to acknowledge that Malivia is correct with its territorial claims based on a history that is not true, and would open the door for any nation to freely allow itself to claim sovereignty over other nations if it pushes enough and bends history to its own whim.
We must start from the basis that Malivia's claims are based on a historical falsification and therefore, it is not understood that a mutual compromise has to be reached on something like that. The nations gathered here do not have to accept conditions that have been created on a false foundation. It's up to each nation represented here on whether or not they want to unite their destiny to Malivia's, but that cannot be sustained on a manipulation of history as we know it, based on at least some doubtful writings, and that go in against everything written about history by academics from all over Terra. For these reasons, Selucia will not sign an agreement on any "referendum", which has nothing to do with democracy. This issue has nothing to do with freedom or democracy, it has to do with reality or fiction, and if we really agree to allow such a manipulation.
Our nation of course refuses to take any military action against our neighbors. That is taken for granted. But if we have to defend ourselves at any time, we will. Be it through the use of words or force. Any nation has the right to discuss a unification with others, that is also clear, but the issue at this conference is not that, but to believe or not the words of a nation about its right to ask others to join it.
In Marea - Civis Sinistram - Selucia Former
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Postby jellybean » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:11 pm

Image Eduard Maisuardze, Hobrazia

I fully agree with my colleague from Selucia. To accept either agreement offered here would be to legitimize Malivian claims. It is clear to me that our two sides will not come to agree on history or facts, but I hope we can come to a working agreement that will keep this conflict in the realm of words rather than bloodshed. To that end, I propose the following declaration.

Working declaration draft

1. The populations of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton & Darnussia, Selucia, and Keymon each possess sovereignty and the right to self-determination. The future of any of these nations must be determined by their own people.

2. Each government allows free discussion of ideas, including concerning Malivian history, within their own borders without fear of persecution or discrimination.

3. The Malivian state agrees to refrain from any attempt to influence elections in Hobrazia, Narikaton & Darnussia, Selucia, or Keymon, and to further commit to refrain from distributing pro-unification propaganda within their borders. If Malivia violates this article, then the agreement shall be null and void.

4. The Malivian state agrees to make every reasonable effort to control terrorist and illegal organizations within their borders, and to ensure border security with Hobrazia and Narikaton & Darnussia to prevent the entry of Malivian agitators into those countries.

5. The governments of Hobrazia, Narikaton & Darnussia, Selucia, and Keymon agree not to seek to overthrow or otherwise pressure Malivia through overt or covert military action. If any of the mentioned countries violate this article, then the agreement shall be null and void.

6. The Malivian government agrees to reframe its claim on Hobrazia, Narikaton & Darnussia, Selucia, and Keymon as an aspiration for unification.

7. All five governments declare their intention to maintain peace with one another, improve mutual cooperation, and uphold international law.
jellybean

Postby Aquinas » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:55 pm

Vishnu Satavelekar, Foreign Minister of the Greater Malivian Empire:

I thank the previous speakers for considering our proposal so carefully, and for their responses. Before I begin, I feel I should acknowledge there has been some unfair and ill-informed criticism of this conference amongst some international commentators, particularly, for some reason, of our host, Endralon. This is unfortunate, but nevertheless I hope my fellow participants will not allow it to distract them. And we will all join, I think, in wanting to commend Endralon for the efforts it has made to bring this conference about.

My Selucian friend appears for now to be unable to get past the obstacle of his profound disagreement with us about the history of southern Artania and the Malivy Islands. I very much hope he will remain engaged with the conference, and will not treat this difference as an absolute obstacle towards making progress in negotiations. We can agree to disagree on this issue, as on many other issues, but still move forwards with co-operation in other areas.

My delegation felt the statements from my Endralonian and Hobrazian friends showed more understanding of the Malivian position than we have received previously, and I want to recognise that and thank them for that. It appears there is at least a measure of understanding now for the principle that ordinary people should be able to discuss issues related to unification without being persecuted for doing so.

There still remains a blockage in understanding, however, when it comes to the role of the Malvian people's elected officials. We are a free country with free elections. Our people will, quite naturally, elect representatives to speak out for them on all manner of issues. This includes, of course, the issue of unification.

To expect the Malivian people's elected officials to refrain from speaking out about issues to do with reunification, or to refuse to communicate about this in any way whatsoever with interested individuals living in neighbouring countries, is to simply misunderstand the nature of Malivian democracy. Of course our elected representatives will speak out! Of course they will make their voices heard! That does not mean, of course, that the people of Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia or Keymon are obliged to agree with them, or even to listen to them. I fear that my friends at this conference seriously underestimate the intelligence and the capacity for independent thought and political judgement which is possessed by the peoples of Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon, whilst at the same time seriously overestimating the ability of Malivian politicians like myself to somehow brainwash or manipulate those peoples to do things they do not want to do or believe things they do not want to believe.

Friends, we have nothing to fear from the free exchange of ideas between our peoples. We can be confident in the virtues of reason, and confident in the good sense of the people who elected us. So I would say to you that we collectively would do ourselves no credit if we were to impose unwarranted draconian restrictions on Malivians talking to Hobrazians, Narikatonites, Darnussians, Selucians and Keymonites.

As I stated earlier, the Malivian people and the Malivian government has never had any intention of committing acts of aggression against our neighbours. We are a peaceful people, and our country's main religion, Geraja (OOC: Hinduism), is a peaceful religion. However, our territorial claims to sovereignty are symbolically and politically sensitive to our people. It would take a considerable political risk to go about changing it. We believe we could sell this to our people if it went alongside a serious commitment from our partners to allow a free exchange of ideas between all of our territories about the issue of unification. If our partners are not able to agree to this however, then with the greatest regret, the whole idea of changing our sovereignty claims would be taken off the table.

That does not mean, of course, that there are not other issues on which we can make progress. There are many other areas, including security and economic co-operation, where there is still much we could do.
Aquinas

Postby jellybean » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:35 am

Image Eduard Maisuradze, Hobrazia

Mr. Satavelekar,

The question of Malivia's claims over our territories is the very heart of why we are here today. While Hobrazia would be happy to see us all leave this conference with newfound friendship and strengthened cooperation, such progress can only be made if we can reach a place of agreement. We appreciate the efforts made by your government, such as the offer of goodwill payments to Hobrazian victims of Malivian poisoning. However, we are not convinced that Malivia is truly committed to peace.

Yourself and other representatives from your nation have insisted repeatedly that Malivia's claims are meant only as a suggestion, and that Malivia would never consider taking military action. You have made the point that the Malivian government is elected democratically, and must therefore answer to the Malivian people. Our government, too, is democratically elected, and we must also answer to our own people. And we cannot assure our people that Malivia poses a threat, because your cushioned rhetoric hides a sharp edge.

If Malivia's intent is solely peaceful, then why do your representatives insist on referring to our nations with demeaning epithets such as "statelet," implying that we are not fully-fledged states? If your government is committed to peace, then why did your Minister of Cows resign upon the arrest of terrorists who had killed Hobrazian citizens? Surely you cannot expect us to believe that your electorate is entirely committed to peace, as we have already seen the illegal incursion of 2,000 satyagrahis into Hobrazia, protestors who were planning violent terrorist acts but were thankfully stopped by our National Police Force. Unfortunately, the police were unable to stop the poisoning of our Deltarian beef supply, which caused untold human suffering and millions in economic losses. You may not realize it - although I find such a thing difficult to believe - but the rhetoric of your government has caused significant turmoil in Malivia and Hobrazia. Our neighbors, Narikaton & Darnussia, have even debated raising funds for an impending war with Malivia, a move which is deeply regrettable but completely understandable after Malivia launched an empty missile into Narik-Darnussian waters.

You may argue that your government's intent is peaceful. Yet when you refuse to stand up to your populace and demand concessions on the grounds that Malivia cannot obtain electoral support without it, we can only conclude that either your words are deceitful or your government is not in full control. If the former, then this entire conference will be fruitless. If the latter, then this conference is of the utmost importance, because we can only leave with a binding treaty prohibiting Malivia from aggressive action. If Malivia is not barred from militaristic or cultural aggression, then the peace of Hobrazia, Narikaton & Darnussia, Selucia, and Keymon is at the mercy of Malivian elections, and we can only hope that your increasingly militant population does not demand that your government plunge Artania into war.

For this conference to be successful, Malivia must agree to a statement renouncing your claims over Hobrazia, Narikaton & Darnussia, Selucia, and Keymon. We may agree to disagree on history, but we cannot abide wayward aggression, whether it comes from a printing press, a megaphone, or a rifle. This is our line in the sand. All of the countries on which you have placed a claim, certainly Hobrazia, already have constitutional and statutory assurances of free speech. We do not prosecute anyone for expressing an opinion, even if that opinion is in favor of Malivian unification. But until Malivia is willing to commit unreservedly to abstaining from influencing such discussions, we simply cannot move forward. If your government is truly committed to peace, then you must show that you are committed to promoting the cause of peace both internationally and domestically.
jellybean

Next

Return to Diplomacy