Lusitan Talks

Conferences, visits and other bilateral or multilateral meetings.

Lusitan Talks

Postby NuclearGandhi69 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:50 pm

To the esteemed representatives of Malivia, I welcome you to Lusitan. We are here to discuss a possible solution to the hostilities between both sides. We simply cannot continue to exist sid by side if tensions remain high. However this will not be accomplished unless both sides respect each other and cooperate. Now the talks may begin.
NuclearGandhi69

Re: Lusitan Talks

Postby Aquinas » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:48 pm

Vishnu Satavelekar, Foreign Minister of the Greater Malivian Empire:

I would like to thank our our hosts for organising this conference and having taken such good care of us since we have arrived.

Please allow me to set out what, from our point of view, is the fundamental misunderstanding with which this situation has been approached, by which I refer to the unwarranted assumption that Malivia's territorial claims to sovereignty represent an intention to seize control of those territories through force.

Malivia's territorial claims over Narikaton-Darnussia, Hobrazia, Selucia and Keymon have been in place since 4770, about 143 years, whilst her territorial claim over Selucia has been in place since 4532, about 381 years. During all of this time, Malivia has never sought to seize these territories by force or behaved aggressively in any way. There have been little incidents and misunderstandings, and there have been bellicose over-reactions from various countries, but the conduct of our country has been impeccable throughout.

Malivia has never seen the territorial claims as an obstacle to positive and constructive relationships with the governments of the territories we have claims on. To the contrary, at every turn, Malivia has sought to deepen relations and to calm the irrational fears which have popped up from time to time.

My government does recognise that for our immediate neighbours and some others in the international community, the existence of the claims represents a serious obstacle. For this reason, we have taken considerable political risks in trying to explore options whereby we could consider dropping the claims. Please appreciate, however, that Malivia is a free society and a lively democracy, and that in order for us to persuade the Malivian people to accept such a compromise, we would need to be able to gain certain guarantees in return.

At the Hugamest Conference, Malivia set out just such a compromise, which would involve Malivia dropping the claims in return for guarantees that its neighbours would allow a genuinely free discussion about the issue of unification and would agree to facilitate unification in the event that became the will of their population. I am providing a copy of the proposal (OOC: see text in quote box further below).

Malivia is prepared to offer the terms of the Hugamest Proposal to any of our neighbours who are prepared to accept it. If Narikaton-Darnussia wants to sign up to that here and now, we are ready to do that. We are also ready to listen to any counter-proposals.

It may be the case Narikaton-Darnussia does not feel able to come to an agreement along these lines. If this is so, then it is unlikely we could look in to doing anything about the territorial claims at this time, but it would still very much be the case that there are matters our two governments can constructively discuss together. I suggest this should begin with a peace treaty, whereby each government promises not to attack the other first. This could be followed up by co-operation on issues of cross-border security, tackling international crime and terrorism, and economic co-operation.

The Hugamest Proposal

The governments of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon agree to the following:

1. It is for the populations of the territories of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon to each separately determine whether to remain autonomous from one another, as at present, or to work towards exploring, negotiating and building a political union together.

2. Each government pledges to allow its population to freely discuss the issue of unification, whether in support or opposition, without fear of persecution or discrimination.

3. Each government will work, as appropriate, to facilitate a free exchange of ideas between the populations of Malivia, Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon in all matters related to the issue of unification, whether in support or opposition.

3. Each government commits, over the course of time, to gauge and monitor the opinion of its population on the issue of unification, and to take appropriate measures to enact the popular will in regards to this.

4. The Malivian government agrees to reframe its claim to sovereignty over Hobrazia, Narikaton-Darnussia, Selucia and Keymon as an aspiration for unification.

5. All five governments solemnly declare their intention never to go to war with one another, to improve mutual cooperation and to uphold international law.
Aquinas

Postby NuclearGandhi69 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:46 am

Ellen Hoffman,
President of the Confederacy,

I am glad you have been well taken care of.

We today to discuss the easing of tensions between our two countries. As neighbours it is important that there are as little tensions as possible and that we can trust each other.
Forgive us for assuming that Malivia would use military force to assert it's claims over her neighbours, but every time one country has claimed part of another, it has ended in bloodshed and since our sovereignty is called into question by the claim and the term statelet, we have to assume the worse and prepare for it.

I have read the Greater Malivian Act and my argument to it is, a claim lasting more than a century does not validate the claim in anyway. Whilst it is true there has been no conflict throughout that time, that does not stop future Malivian Governments from using force, which as the President of the Confederacy, I am not willing to risk. Unfortunately, I am do not know much about Malivian history, so I kindly ask my counterpart for the loan of a history book that explains whether these claims are historical or fabricated.

As for a solution to the problem, I offer something different to the Hugamest Proposal which I disagree with. We will drop our claim on Malivia and you drop your claim on the Confederacy, as well as that we promise to help Malivia's economy get back on it's feet and drop tariffs and other acts against Malivia.
NuclearGandhi69

Postby jellybean » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 pm

Image Eduard Maisuradze, Special Advisor on Hobrazian-Malivian Relations

Honorable colleagues,

On invitation from the Malivian representative, Hobrazia has agreed to participate in the Lusitan Talks. As Special Advisor on Hobrazian-Malivian Relations and former President of Hobrazia, I will be representing our national interests in this forum. Firstly we must thank the Malivian government for the progress they have made in dropping Malivian claims against Hobrazia, Narikaton & Darnussia, Selucia, and Keymon. This has long been a foreign policy objective for Hobrazia, and we view this as a critical first step in normalizing Hobrazian-Malivian relations. We thank Prime Minister Raganekary for changing his position.

I profoundly hope that Hobrazia and Malivia will one day be friends. Our two nations are very different, yet have many of the same challenges: we are both developing economies in Southern Artania, we have both had tumultuous political histories, and we share an anti-Communist orientation.

With Malivia no longer promoting territorial claims, I have recommended that the Hobrazian government allow the re-establishment of formal diplomatic relations and grant an embassy to Malivia in our capital of Astoria. I have further recommended that Hobrazia no longer strictly prohibit the entry of Malivian citizens into the country, but only impose strict security checks. I hope that the Malivian representative will understand that this represents a major shift for our nation, and that we hope to restore relations completely - but we can only do as trust is built.

For us to continue progressing, we ask the following:
  • Malivia must issue compensation to the families of those Kalistani citizens who were unlawfully executed by the Malivian government. Such a concession would be an important step in assuring the international community that Malivia's attitudes have changed, and that Malivia seeks to reconcile.
  • Malivia must guarantee better protections for the Adivasi community. While the injustices imposed on this community go unrectified, I will not be able to convince our people that a better relationship is wise. Border patrol agents have received over 2 dozen Adivasi refugees, who are currently being cared for in Hobrazia. We wish to send them back to Malivia, but cannot do so while we fear for their safety.
  • Malivia must proseute the Gau Raksha Paltan terrorist group, and cooperate with Hobrazian intelligence to monitor and counter their activities.
  • Malivia must pass a binding resolution in the Lok Sabha prohibiting future administrations from claiming sovereignty over Hobrazia, Narikaton & Darnussia, Selucia, and Keymon. While we were thrilled to see the Malivian government's recent progress in this area, we fear that the claims could be reinstated as quickly as they were dropped.

Should Malivia agree to these terms, we will agree to purchase a large amount of Malivia's excess cow dung, stop our military buildup on the Hobrazian-Malivian border, and continue to repeal restrictions placed on Malivians. Furthermore, we would like to explore coordinating anti-Communist measures within both of our countries.
jellybean

Postby Aquinas » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:51 am

Vishnu Satavelekar, Foreign Minister of the Greater Malivian Empire:

Friends,

I am delighted to welcome Eduard Maisuradze to the talks, and look forward to working with him. It is most important to my government that Hobrazia - and indeed all of our neighbours - should have friendly and constructive relations with us.

Hobrazia's agreement to re-establish diplomatic relations and begin a process of allowing Malivians to enter Hobrazia is most welcome, and an indication of how much progress is being made already.

Turning now to Hobrazia's requests...

Under the Malivian system, it is for the courts to decide whether the families of the Kalistani pirates should be granted compensation. The Supreme Court has already ruled that this should not be granted. There exist mechanisms for this to be appealed, and my understanding is that the Malivian Civil Liberties Association, in cooperation with some of the families involved, is in the process of doing this. From the point of view of the Malivian government, the loss of life and the pain experienced by the families is of course regretted, but we do maintain piracy is such a serious crime that the use of the death penalty is essential. This is not just a question of keeping Malivians safe, but of keeping the whole of Terra safe from piracy.

Malivia's Adivasi situation is an internal matter for the Malivian government and its people to deal with. However, Malivia can assure her international partners that with the Adivasi revolt subsiding, confrontations are becoming fewer, and most of the Adivasis who were detained have now been released. It is perfectly safe for Adivasis who have left Malivia but now wish to return to do so. Additionally, a new commission has been established to review the Adivasi situation broadly, and in particular, to examine the Criminal Tribes Act, which we appreciate has been a sensitive issue.

Malivia continues to tackle Gau Raksha Paltan (OOC: Cow Protection Army) and continues to be willing to work with our neighbours in order to tackle cross-border issues.

Under the Malivian system, the Lok Sabha (OOC: Malivian parliament) cannot bind itself or its successors, as is the norm in many constitutional democracies. However, I can assure our friends that the decision to change Malivia's position in relation to the territorial claims was arrived at after full and frank discussions within the Raktavani National Party and the Lok Sabha. It is safe to say that Malivia's political class broadly accepts the new position. There is no desire to change it. Everybody is committed to taking advantage of the opportunities we now have to reengage Malivia in dialogue with her neighbours.

Any purchases from our cow dung mountain would be most gratefully received. No country in the world has cow dung as good as ours. It is excellent for all manner of purposes, which I would love to describe to my friends here in much greater detail over dinner this evening.

Malivia absolutely shares Hobrazia's commitment to containing international communism, and this is one of many, many areas where Malivia and Hobrazia can work together.
Aquinas

Postby NuclearGandhi69 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:30 pm

Ellen Hoffman,

I see that Malivia's claims over her neighbours have been dropped, for which we are grateful and have my thanks.

A bill has been proposed to Congress to repeal most acts and sanctions against Malivia. With the claims dropped, I believe that relations can be improved and tensions lowered betwwen our two countries and as a show of support, Narikaton and Darnussia wishes to buy 10,000,000 DAR worth of Malivia,s cow dung.

We all work to friendship between our countries for the future.
NuclearGandhi69

Postby jellybean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:07 am

To the honorable Mr. Satavelekar,

I was pleased to see the Malivian Lok Sabha pass a revised Greater Malivian Empire Act, which largely addresses our concerns. While the Hobrazian government maintains no desire to explore unification, we appreciate the Lok Sabha's progress in dropping Malivian territorial claims.

We are pleased to hear that your government is also taking the GRP seriously, and Hobrazian Territorial Defense - our national police agency - will look forward to working with Malivian authorities to address the group's activity.

We are also pleased to hear that the Adivasi situation will be looked at, although Hobrazians expect nothing less than full respect for the dignity of our fellow man and cannot fully leap into a new relationship with Malivia until the situation is resolved favorably.

I am personally disappointed to hear that the Malivian government is unwilling to reconsider its stance on compensation for Kalistani families. Although I admit that I am no expert in Malivian law, your government's execution of the Kalistani privateers plainly contradicts international law and our shared standards of justice. As much as I appreciate the complexities of bureaucracy, I struggle to believe that Prime Minister Ranganekary cannot find some way to compensate the families of these victims. You must understand that until Malivia takes responsibility for your nation's unpredictable and disconcerting foreign policy, it is hard for any observer to accept assurances that tomorrow will not bring a return to territorial claims and bravado, or that Malivia's stance to the world is anything less than totally dependent on the whims of her leaders. For this reason, Hobrazia must insist on compensation.

I have received word that President Giorgadze has already agreed to purchase a large amount of Malivian dung in recognition of the progress made here, and he has directed his Minister of Trade to work out the details of such a purchase. All of Hobrazia looks forward to the full repeal of restrictions, provided we can continue to work out our differences.
jellybean

Postby NuclearGandhi69 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:23 am

Ellen Hoffman,

I believe that at the present moment most issues concerning the Malivian Claims on her neighbours have been resolved and we should now focus on co-operation between our countries. To achieve that goal I propose the South Artanian Community, an economic union between our three countries. The following proposal is a draft and I propose we meet again in Malivia to properly discuss the formation of this union.

Principles for S.A.C.
1) All three members will be equally represented.
2) The Group will be focused on co-operation and prosperity.
3) The Organisation will be purely economic.
4) Free trade and travel will guaranteed between members.
5) The creation of the South Artanian Development Corporation, to help develop inter-country projects
NuclearGandhi69

Postby jellybean » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:17 am

I thank President Hoffman for her agreement. Speaking on behalf of Hobrazia, we would be interested in pursuing a South Artanian trade agreement. However, we suggest the following changes:

1. We should refrain from using the word "union," which touches a sore spot we would like to move past. I suggest "Trade Zone" or "Economic Agreement" instead.
2. We disagree with point 4: free travel should not be guaranteed, only free trade.

With these changes, we would sign on to such an agreement. I am particularly excited for the possibilities promised by a South Artanian Development Corporation.
jellybean

Next

Return to Diplomacy