Solentia

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: Solentian News

Postby Sir Thomas Hill » Wed May 09, 2012 12:36 am

S O L E N T I A N . T I M E S | T H E . D A I L Y . E D I T I O N
NATIONAL: HEADLINES ~ Justice Secretary defiant in face of protests; Investigation into Corruption shall go ahead
December 3300

Justice Secretary Maxwell Havers, who replaced Estelle Bailey in the last Cabinet rehuffle

HALION – The Justice Secretary has challenged Senate Warden Madeleine Clarke in an effort to put pressure on Liberal-DRP-backed protesters. Maxwell Havers, newly appointed Justice Secretary, has said that the Senate Warden was "legally and constitutionally incorrect" to suggest that the Unionist could not call for cabinet members to step down and warned her to "take a more Torvellianist approach whilst the Justice Department is running an invesgitation into this corruption charge".

The Justice Department started an investigation into rumours of corruption amongst DRP Ministers and the Internal Affairs Ministry under Estelle Bailey. When she was replaced with her Unionist colleague Maxwell Havers, he took the decision to continue the investigattion.

The position of the Justice Ministry and by exention, the Unionist Party, is that a serious allegation has been made, a serious protest is in swing and that if Ministers are not able to handle it in a statesmanlike manner, they should stand aside. That is our position and that is one that we shall continue. It's true Torvellianism. The DRP were unequivocably wrong to encourage protest and Ms. Clarke is, if I may be frank, worryingly hypocritical to wag fingers over monarchism as long as she is only in her position as a gift from her father. Her position is under serious question if she cannot act in a stately manner. It's time to get tough on Justice and to get tough on corruption. If she or her DRP allies do not support that, they need to go.

The Unionist rhetoric is increasingly popular amongst those outside of Halion, where the protests are largely viewed as inner-city riots, encouraged by the DRP and Liberals. Many in the outer regions of Solentia are worried that anarchy is being promoted by Solentia's major power blocs.

Unionist Senators are meeting with the 2616 Committee to discuss the Party's options. One Senator stated; "the fact she used the words 'under my family's leadership' should tell you all you need to know about liberal nepotism."
Alliance Rose of Kanjor [Active]
The Unionists of Solentia [Inactive]
Game/Discord Username: Gobbleke
Sir Thomas Hill

Postby meritocracy » Wed May 09, 2012 2:25 am

Son of King Marius Returns to Solentia And Assassinated

Prince Marius Trillion II, son of the deposed and deceased King Marius I, reentered Solentia peacefully, afforded travel under the Amity Treaty. While he himself had never renounced the Lion Throne, he also never accepted Quanzari citizenship, holding on to his Solentian passport throughout his life in Therak. In the meantime as part of the treaty, Quanzar itself does not recognize the Trillion claim, and sent back the signet ring of the king.

Reaching Calydon, at the steps of the former Royal Palace, Prince Marius renounced the violence taking place in his homeland and addressed the crowd,

"My fellow citizens, we must curb this violence, this mindless tumult into anarchy and nihilism that is only fury after fury and does nothing for the common good. I am ashamed to see officers of the peace engage in destruction and mob action. You were entrusted with protection and stability. You are in positions of trust.

"I returned to spend my days in peace in my homeland, but I find it a vile den of tyranny. Never would my father have placed his own son in the office of Margrave. Never would he have watched idly and said nothing as his own police wreaked havoc, or listened his allies preach anarchy and rebuked the one brave voice who raised concern. Who will watch the watchmen?

"The honored peerages and familiar titles are an ancient tradition. No law passed against it has ever succeeded, and that alone should cause all to pause and realize what you are really fighting is not some false sense of privilege but the IDEA of inopporunity. Solentia is a land that fosters great opportunity, and may that never change. But may family traditions keep her strong. I myself shall never be king of Solentia. My hope in that regard lies entirely in the future of the noble house Kansar and I.."

Just as it seemed he had removed his own family's claim to the throne once and for all, a shot rang out from Coronation Boulevard, hitting him in the temple killing him instantly. Police, many of whom are rioting, have not found the murderer.

The Quanzari ambassador, Sydney Rand gave a brief statement, "The prince was a fine and notable man, and a great friend to many. His charitable works nearly drove him into poverty, and he will be remembered long after the evil person who committed the act is dust in the ground."

Crowd gathering to hear the former crown prince in panic after the assassination
meritocracy

Postby solentianalliance » Wed May 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Avrieau Criticizes Political Climate

Associated News

Akra, Orame - While addressing Solentian Foundation for Growth today, Solentian Alliance Director Pierre Avrieau lambasted the current state of Solentian politics, calling it a "climate of stagnation and vitriol". The party leader said that to ensure sustainable growth and well being for business, change would be in order.

"Solentia is in a downward spiral, with partisanship a priority for governing parties. They've elected to suffocate ordinary Solentians with grandoise titles and ranks of supremacy. It's sheer waste of time and energy. Instead, we need to stimulate our national interests by fostering growth and helping the engines of our economy - businessmen and women - do what they need to do best," said Avrieau. "This is a climate of stagnation and vitriol. It needs to be swiftly and decisively ended."

Solentian Alliance Senate Leader Laurent Spitzer has stated that his party would be introducing legislation pertinent to pressing issues.

"Our delegation is relatively small, but healthy, and we intend to do the work we were elected to do. Whatever time we have left in this session, it is our priority to make changes to current laws that do nothing but penalize average Solentians," stated Spitzer.
solentianalliance

Postby sotearchann » Wed May 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Presentation1.jpg
Presentation1.jpg (94 KiB) Viewed 1976 times

Khalid Leylabi named in incriminating letters to Marius Trillion II...

HALION, ORAME - Several hundred letters of correspondence between Khalid Leylabi and Marius Trillion II have been exposed as the belongings of the assassinated son of the tyrant Trillion I have been submitted to the the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Phillip Weynot (DRP). The letters date as far back as 3286 leading up to the night before the assassination of the former Prince.

The letters have all been submitted to the Supreme President and the Senate Warden. Word on a Senate hearing will soon commence.
Last edited by sotearchann on Thu May 10, 2012 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
sotearchann

Postby matty.berry » Thu May 10, 2012 12:03 am

the_independent.jpg
the_independent.jpg (67.27 KiB) Viewed 1986 times

Soletian.politics ~ culture ~ news
June 3301

Protest at the Palace...
protest camp.jpg
protest camp.jpg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 1994 times

Following his second sensational victory in as many years The Supreme President, Rev Clarke invited recent protestors into his back garden at the palace. A protest camp is now in place and will remain for as long as the protestors so wish.

The Presidents fiery daughter and Senate Warden Madeleine Clarke spoke confidently to the crowds:

“The Liberal Party believes in the fundamental right to protest and as such we invite these principled people into the heart of government quarters, so that their voices may be heard loud and clear. Although government policy may not necessarily be changed, we hope that our commitment to listening will be beyond question.... Let me say it clearly, my father will never allow the return of monarchy...”

Canapes, Champaign, beer, cigarettes, and it is believed other substances were made freely available, all provided free of charge by the Clarke family. During the early evening a concert was given by several leading rock groups including Decapolis Blue, and Jenson. It is rumoured that Clarke is considering making the protest Camp an annual event with the possibility of creating a new Public Bank Holiday to mark it. It seems that most of the protestors were won over by the generosity and grace shown by her family.

rock concert.jpg
rock concert.jpg (8.3 KiB) Viewed 1992 times

It was later revealed that an enquiry had been launched in the Senate with the aim of getting to the bottom of a Scandal broken in an exclusive by our sister title the Fuwan Times, regarding Khalid Leylabi, of the Unionists, who was named in incriminating letters to the recently assassinated Marius Trillion II. It is widely believed that the Unionists will be punished by Ms Clarke for their recent behaviour in attempting to divide her government. No doubt this story has some way to run...
matty.berry

Postby Zanz » Thu May 10, 2012 12:52 am

Voice of Solentia
"The news Solentia wants!"
June 3301

2406 condemns supposed Leylabi correspondence as 'fabrications'

HALION, ORAME - The 2406 Party has roundly condemned correspondence reported by the Fuwan Times as 'fabrications created by DRP officials to defame the stalwart reputation of former Supreme President Lord Khalid Leylabi.'

The 2406, through a spokesperson at a press conference in Halion today, announced its firm support for the former Supreme President in the midst of a scandal that seeks to tie him to a supposed monarchist plot for a Quanzari-backed invasion of the Federal Republic.

"Lord Leylabi," said the spokesperson, "has proven himself throughout the years to be a loyal and just advocate for the Federal Republic. The correspondence purported to have taken place between the Supreme President and Marius Trillion II have been examined by 2406 experts and it is our firm and worrying conclusion that the letters are nothing more than fabrications created by DRP officials to defame the stalwart reputation of former Supreme President Lord Khalid Leylabi.

"The letters contain worrying and unfounded accusations of Quanzari support for a monarchist coup in Solentia. Not only do these accusations fly blatantly in the face of factuality, they also belie a deep and hazardous ignorance of foreign affairs on the part of the DRP. Minister of Foreign Affairs Alisa Kansar Harrison has released this statement to air the facts on Quanzari-Solentian relations:

Solentian Minister of Foreign Affairs Alisa Kansar Harrison (2406) wrote:The late Marius Trillion II, son of the deposed Marius Trillion who styled himself King of Solentia for some time, is not and never has been a representative of the Quanzari government. The Quanzari king, Oswald II Hessex, relinquished any vestigial claim to a Solentian throne with the ratification of the Quanzar-Solentia Treaty of Amity, the ratification of which was supported by both the DRP and the Liberal Party in the Senate. In addition, that treaty removed Quanzari support for any Trillion claim to a Solentian throne. As such, the purported correspondence between Supreme President Lord Leylabi and Marius Trillion II is of dubious origin and, regardless, of no consequence. There is no Quanzari plot or threat to Solentia whatsoever, and the fabrication of such threats by the DRP in creating these letters borders, in the opinion of my ministry, on treason.

"In addition, the purported correspondence accuses the Social Incentive Act of 3300 of intent to create hereditary titles of nobility. This is true, but it is taken out of context. The Act does indeed allow for the creation of hereditary titles, but these are created only by the Supreme President for individual acts of the greatest value to the welfare of the Federal Republic. Indeed, no such title has yet been created, and any such title would, in any case, not grant any material worth higher than that already earned by the merit of the title holder. The 2406 should think that the DRP, devoted capitalists as they are, would appreciate such a system of nominal reward for great service.

"Lastly, the 2406 wishes to address the party of the Supreme President Rev. Tobias Clarke. His proposed removal of all 2406 and Unionist ministers from government is a worrying turn toward unilateralism in a time when bipartisan cooperation is of the utmost necessity. It is a shame to see them fall subject to the paranoid delusions of the Democratic Republicans. The Senate "hearing" called by Senate Warden Madeleine Clarke is a worrying development, and its use of the fabricated Leylabi correspondence as its only evidence in accusing the former Supreme President of -God knows what- is supremely disappointing. Until recently we had believed Mr. Clarke to be a reasonable man, and the Liberal Party to be one with whom the 2406 could work in good will toward the betterment of Solentia. It would appear that this is becoming more and more difficult as time passes and events unfold. Providing safe haven for those in violation of the law with their protests, indeed, encouraging them, is more evidence of corruption in the Supreme Presidential Palace and the Cabinet. What are they protesting against, Mr. Supreme President? Your party supported the Social Incentive Act, as did the majority of parties in the Senate. The DRP has riled a mob to violence over nothing and you are being played like a fiddle.

"The 2406 Party looks to the Unionist Party as a bastion of good conscience in these troubled times. Also, we commend the Solentian Alliance for its dedication to the true charges of government that it would appear the Supreme President, Senate Warden, the Liberals, and the DRP have forgotten. We ask that the SA remain committed to working for the good of Solentia and we look forward to working with them in future."
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby sotearchann » Thu May 10, 2012 1:22 am

Presentation1.jpg
Presentation1.jpg (94 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

DRP upholds the right of citizens to peaceably assemble, rebukes 2406 for calling democratic and peaceful protests "mob violence"...

HALION, ORAME - Sathea Chann, DRP Party Chair, held a rally today in which he gave a rousing speech in defense of citizens right to peaceably assemble. He also rebuked the 2406 Party for disparaging the protests.

The DRP Party Chair also reprimanded the opposition harshly for disparaging the integrity of the police force and the Republican Guard. He acknowledged that the police force had no incidents in which it engaged in violence. All the police and the Republican Guard did was to allow the protests to continue without their interference. Internal Affairs Minister Phillip Weynot was reported as having said:

These demonstrations are peaceful... Solentian's have a right to peaceably assemble and to petition their government for a redress of grievances. The police are here to protect the people and will do so if things get out of hand. So far, what you've heard about the protests as being unruly and violent? They are wrong. This is what democracy looks like and if that scares the 2406 and the Unionist's, then maybe that speaks to their sympathy toward a monarchical system... I'm not saying that they advocate for that type of system, but their stance toward these democratic demonstrations sure makes me wonder.

DRP Party Chair Sathea Chann also delivered remarks in response to the 2406's claim, stating:

We rid ourselves of monarchy and tyranny just over ten years ago... yet some would wish to give their party favorites titles such as 'baron' and 'knights' and 'lord'. The DRP believes in recognizing citizens for their service, but not with vestiges of a bygone monarchical system.
sotearchann

Postby matty.berry » Thu May 10, 2012 11:29 pm

the_independent.jpg
the_independent.jpg (67.27 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

Solentian.politics ~ culture ~ news
December 3301

Vision for biggest art festival in the world to set Solentia on road to recovery...

Zane Jackson, Education and Culture minister set out an ambitious plan which would see Solentia host the biggest art festival in Terra. Every 10 years the nation will showcase 5 national and international contempory artists, 1 in each state, in a month long festival of avant-garde visual art.

the Decennial will put Solentia on the map as the foremost nation in the world of the Contempory Arts...it will serve to educate, enlighten and challenge us all, demonstrating the power of art to change the world for the better, making us bolder, stronger... pushing back the boundaries of what is socially accepted.

The minister and former art student (along with Madeleine Clarke, Senate Warden) of the University of Metapontum declaired that the event would bring a much needed boost to the Solentian tourism industry, and estimated that upto 1.5 million extra tourists would visit during the month long festival. The finiance ministry are still pouring over the figures, but it is thought that the economic bonus for the nation will be substantial, and will more than cover the costs of hosting such a prestigous event. We understand that the nations relaxed laws on alcohol, smoking and drug use will feature prominantly in the global marketing for the Decennial.

The inaugural event is planned for 3305 and Jackson confirmed that Madeleine Clarke had already signed a contract with Maxmillion Davids, one of Solentia’s leading Artists and spiritual founding father of the Fuwan Avant-garde Art Set. Davids has been shocking and delighting the Fuwan middle class elite in equal measures for years before he burst to national and international fame 3 years ago following auctions of his work that made him a multimillionaire overnight, and one of the richest ever living artists. His best know peices include real animals set into formaldehyde, the renown 'spot paintings' and a diamond encrusted skull that was recently sold to a private overseas bidder, although is understood it will be made available for the Decennial exhibition.

Maxmillian Davids.jpg
Maxmillian Davids.jpg (14.76 KiB) Viewed 1934 times

Madeleine Clarke believes that news of the Decennial will give the Liberals a much needed boast especially among their core vote of intellectuals. It is also an attempt for the party to put recent problems behind them and focus on their agenda for government and making Solentia great again...
Last edited by matty.berry on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
matty.berry

Postby sotearchann » Fri May 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Presentation1.jpg
Presentation1.jpg (94 KiB) Viewed 1895 times

Minister of Infrastructure and Transport hailed by businesses and local communities for efficient administration...

Road Construction 3_jpg_475x310_q85.jpg
Road Construction 3_jpg_475x310_q85.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 1891 times

RHEGIUM, FUWAN - Abe Donnigan, the Minister of Infrastructure and Transport under Supreme President Tobias Clark, is hailed as somewhat of a superstar by businesses and local communities and governments all over Solentia for his wise and egalitarian approach to the allocation of funds appropriated to the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport. Many can attest to this fact as roads have been closed off and are reopened after having a major face lift.

Donnigan, an Architecture and Infrastructure graduate of Fuwan University, also spices up his job with a little aesthetic flare. Trees now line well paved streets and sidewalks. This also shows his knowledge of how trees contribute to better and cleaner air. Many scholars and doctors alike foresee better air quality and healthier citizens in the near future.

It makes me feel good to walk down the streets of Halion... now I'm not just rushing my way to work because I can enjoy the walk there.

Businesses and small companies have all embraced the flurry of construction and have already seen improvements. Guy Dochette, the owner of a small transportation firm, says, "This is going to save my company alot of money because my trucks won't go through wear and tear as fast as they have under the monarchical roads, in fact I have already saved some."

The most surprising thing, however, is that the flurry of construction activity all over Solentia has only cost the Infrastructure and Transport Ministry about $32,000,000, which is exactly 32% of its budget. When asked about how he did this and what he plans to do with the savings, Minister Abe Donnigan states:

Well, first I set about to streamlining the bureaucratic process here at the Ministry without laying anybody off. My people are more efficient and happier workers, which provides good output in terms of the work they do. This has presented the Ministry with HUGE savings. Whereas before, the cumbersome and inefficient process amounted the administrative budget of the ministry to roughly 25% of the total budget, our streamlining efforts have reduced that to about 15%, with more savings to come. That of course frees up money to go elsewhere. A large part of those savings can be attributed to modernizing our office equipment and updating our software.

Aside from that, we have worked with State and Local governments to provide a 'Work Together' solution, where the Ministry, in effect subsidizes State and Local infrastructure spending through matching grants. The States come to us with their projects and tell us how much it will cost and we offer to cover a percentage of that, usually half. When we approach them about one of our projects, say a major interstate high way, they are more than willing to jump on board. Gone our the days where the Federal government does its own and thing and the State governments do their own thing. The Federal Government and the States aren't crisscrossing and duplicating their efforts anymore; We're working together and that saves money.

I have also been successful in getting businesses, all of whom benefit from better roads, to buy infrastructure bonds. They are willing to do so because they know transportation is a huge factor in terms of being able to distribute economic goods.
sotearchann

Postby solentianalliance » Fri May 11, 2012 11:42 pm

Alliance Senators to Target Federal Budget

Associated News

Solentian Alliance Director Pierre Avrieau at the Small Business Federation on Tuesday.

HALION - Solentian Alliance Senator Laurent Spitzer announced today that his party would be seeking to "reform and refine" the national budget. The party's Senate leader said the federal budget, totalling at 716 billion SOL, is much too large.

"It's simply overwhelming," says Spitzer outside the Senate building in downtown Halion. "I look at the numbers invovled in the federal budget and I get lightheaded just knowing I'm not even halfway through analyzing the endless solenars we spend."

Solentian Alliance Director Pierre Avrieau has made streamlining fiscal expenditures, entitlements, and regulations a priority since leading his party from obscurity to sizable standing.

"I look at myself, a businessman at heart, and I think about how difficult this government made it to achieve what should be a relatively simple task: earning a buck. I founded my own business and took it far beyond what I imagined was feasible, but I can say that many a Solentian hasn't had the opportunity to be as successful as I am. They have but one entity to hold accountable for that, and that's government," stated an impassioned Avrieau.

Fiscal spending in the nation hasn't been reviewed since 3277, roughly 25 years ago. This, Avrieau argues, is part of the problem.

"My god, things need to change. A budget should be analyzed at least once every election cycle. Solentians have cast their ballot at least eight times, likely more with the instability caused by excessive partisanship, and have voted each time hoping for revitalized finances. They've been let down every time. Not any more," says Avrieau. "I will be pushing Senator Spitzer to get the ball rolling on this."

While no formal attempts have been made, Alliance Senators are working amongst themselves to draft a proposed budget. Health and education portfolios are expected to be largely targeted.
solentianalliance

PreviousNext

Return to National News