Selucia

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: Imperium de Selucia Daily

Postby Polites » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:38 am

"Mos maiorum is a dynamic and evolving tradition"
Interview with Republican Party co-founder

Decimus Nasennius Valens serving food at a homeless shelter in 4359

February 4370 - Our correspondent Marcus Severinus has conducted an interview with Decimus Nasennius Valens, one of the two chairmen of the newly founded and controversial Republican Party. Below is a partial transcript of that interview, edited lightly for comprehension.

Marcus Severinus: You've recently founded a political party with your long-time associate Postumus Oppidius Hortensius. What made you decide to join politics and form your own party?

Decimus Nasennius Valens: I used to be a card-carrying member of [In Marea - Civis Sinistra], which I joined way back in 4354. I joined the party because I believed that it's possible to have a more caring and compassionate system, one that cares about the little guy. But I think In Marea, for all their good intentions, has fallen out of touch with the day-to-day struggles of Selucians. The party is dominated by college-educated middle class folk, mostly irreligious, and they don't really know anything about the hardships the working class and farmers face daily. That makes them unable to see the appeal that monarchist or far-right movements like the [Nationalist] Legion have among these people. So me and my friend Postumus [Oppidius Hortensius] decided to do something about it and found a movement that represents the common folk.

Marcus Severinus: Was this the reason why you campaigned for Selexit?

Decimus Nasennius Valens: Yeah, I used to be in the IUVIM [Iuventas In Marea] and when we realized the [Majatran] Alliance was broken and expensive, we started this campaign for a referendum. That never really got anywhere, since the two parties at the time didn't care what the common folk want. But that's also when I met Postumus, who was organizing [the Pagan] community for Selexit.

Marcus Severinus: You've been talking a lot about mos maiorum, about traditions and values. Do you consider yourself a traditionalist, and if so, do you want to abolish all the democratic reforms for the past few centuries?

Decimus Nasennius Valens: Mos maiorum is a dynamic and evolving tradition. There's no checklist of what counts as part of it and what's an innovation, Selucia has moved a lot from the old days. We definitely don't want to turn the clock back to the 18th century or whatever, but we also want to preserve what's good from Selucian traditions.

Marcus Severinus: Your party's manifesto has been rather critical of what you seem to think is too much of an emphasis on tolerance and diversity. But isn't the history of defending the rights of women, LGBTQ people, or ethnic minorities a part of Selucian tradition and so an element of mos maiorum?

Decimus Nasennius Valens: Absolutely, but I'd say that not all parts of Selucian history are good by definition. We've had strong Republican regimes, which we want to emulate, but we've also had fascist or theocratic dictatorships, and, yes, excessively liberal regimes. We don't want to pick and choose what counts as tradition and what does not, but at the same time we should be discerning and promote what is good in our history while giving proper context to our more shameful moments.

Marcus Severinus: So you consider Selucia's promotion of human rights as something to be ashamed of?

Decimus Nasennius Valens: Not at all. Anyone who's willing to die for the Republic is alright in my book. I don't care if they're Hosian or Pagan, straight or gay, male or female. If they are prepared to give their life for the common good, that is something that should be encouraged and rewarded. But at the same time, this whole obsession with diversity stopped being a Republican commitment to individual rights and became more of a system where society rewards you just for being different, just for being born. I don't think that's right, or fair for that matter.

Marcus Severinus: Speaking of individual rights, your party recently promoted this idea of "Republican motherhood", that women have a duty to make many Republican children. On the other hand you proclaim yourself a defender of gender equality. Isn't that a contradiction?

Decimus Nasennius Valens: Not quite. Unlike the feminists in IMCS we don't see women's rights through a privileged middle class lens. While we recognize that discrimination against women in politics and at the workplace is a serious and ongoing issue, we also know that many women choose to sacrifice their careers in order to raise their children, and that should be rewarded. What the left doesn't understand is that not all women actually want the same things. Those that seek public office or military service, or indeed a productive career are heroines of the Republic. But those that instead choose to focus on the domestic sphere, that marry at an early age and don't want a college degree, also perform a valuable public service for the Republic. We think Selucia should do more to support these women and their families.

Marcus Severinus: You've been talking a lot about piety, and yet you've been criticizing the [Nationalist] Legion as theocratic. What do you understand by piety, and how is it any different from the Legion's policies?

Decimus Nasennius Valens: To be perfectly honest, I'm a little bit of a "born-again" Aurorian. I come from a non-religious family. They weren't exactly atheists, but not really church-going Katub-thumping Hosians either. In high-school I discovered Eliyahu and became a bit more "pious" than your ordinary middle-class Selucian. But my biggest religious experience came after I found Saint Angelicus, and because of him I learned the value of charity. In the Church we have this thing called a voluntary social year, a kind of volunteering where you go out and do social work and charity for a year. Right out of high-school I signed up for my social year with Caritas Seluciana and volunteered at a homeless shelter near Victoria for a while. That's where I really got to see what poor Selucians really are like, and how much we misunderstand them. So yeah I think piety is definitely a force for good. But as I learned from Saint Angelicus, the values of the Annunciation can be found in other faiths, and the saint himself was a "brother of all", to put it in his words. So I think that the Legion's whole mandatory Aurorianism business is a perversion of the Annunciation and the teachings of the Church.

Marcus Severinus: Interesting that you bring up Church teachings, since you repeatedly proposed to remove voting rights for practically most Selucian citizens. Wouldn't that go against the principles of equality you claim to follow, and wouldn't a system of second-class citizenship be counter to the Church's proclamation of the equal dignity of all persons?

Decimus Nasennius Valens: Equal dignity doesn't mean we should all have equal rights. What we're proposing is a system of full equality under the rule of law for all citizens, but where the right to participate in national politics belongs to those that commit themselves to the common good. It's a demanding criterion, sure, but what we want is good and engaged citizens. If restricting the right to vote is a good way to have that, I say restrict away.

Marcus Severinus: Recently the Prince of Pontesi not so subtly endorsed your party. Doesn't it concern you that the Republican Party is supported by a foreign monarch, and the head of a brutal homophobic and Ahmadiphobic regime at that?

Decimus Nasennius Valens: Look, I didn't ask for anyone's endorsement other than that of the Selucian voters. But if His Serene Highness likes our Party and its principles, we're not going to stop him. I'm happy to hear we have friends across the Strait, and hope the new Republic will have many more friends.

Marcus Severinus: And lastly, I'm afraid to ask, but... what's with the toga?

Decimus Nasennius Valens: [Laughs] You don't see these every day now, do you? I just feel more comfortable in a toga, it's cosy and is better suited for our equatorial climate. I'm not planning on making togas mandatory, if that's what you're asking. But one has to appreciate the wisdom of the ancients who came up with this really comfy dress.
Polites

Postby Aethan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:47 pm

"In Marea will continue making history in Selucia, whether others like it or not"
The party has started campaigning for the 4370 elections with the aim of recovering the citizens' trust

Zelotes Siskos speaking to the press

Zelotes Siskos, former Minister of Science and Technology of Selucia, and current Leader of In Marea-Civis Sinistram, has officially begun his campaign to win the Head of State of Selucia, criticizing the appearance of new "opportunist" parties, but without closing doors to future government agreements by his party.

Interviewer: Welcome Mr. Siskos, it's a pleasure to have you here. How are you seeing this elections?

Siskos: Well, they will be complicated of course. However, we expect people to think carefully their votes and not to enter in the game of new opportunist parties, that have only appeared with the aim of messing with Selucian politics and trying to get a bit for them.

I: Your party was once a new party. What's the difference between In Marea and the new parties?

S: It has nothing to do. In Marea-Civis Sinistram appeared with the aim of defeating the dictatorship of Factio Conservativa, and to free the Selucian citizens from their chains. There is no correlation with the political landscape of then and now.

I: However, it seems like Selucians are looking for something new, different. Is In Marea risking dissolution?

S: Not at all! While we get a single seat in the Senate, our party will continue fighting for democracy and civil rights in Selucia. We have survived worse things, we have written the Selucian history, and hopefully we will continue to do so.

I; Precisely, one of the main problems argued about IMCS is the lack of political ideas, apart from civil rights, and that has been recently said also by a former member of your party, the now leader of Factio Republicana. What do you have to say?

S: Mr. Valens is a good politician. However, he was in the wrong party, as he figured out. We are a party totally out of religion. We respect religions, we do not involve our party in them. We defend the rights of everyone to do whatever they want with their lifes. That's the truth. We do not work for an specific group of people in Selucia,
we work so everyone can be free to make their own decisions, while it respects the feelings of others. It is also false that civil rights are our only concern. While certainly it is one of our major achievements, and we are very proud of it, we have reduced unemployment in Selucia, we have increased investments, we have developed better infrastructures, we have put our nation as a referent for tourism, we have strengthed our military.... and all of this while maintaining the salaries and rights of Selucian citizens. To say that our only concern are civil rights and that we do nothing else it a total lie.

I: Can you define clearly the position of In Marea-Civis Sinistram on Selexit? The position of the IUVIM is really clear, but the main branch of the party has never clearly stated theirs.

S: The IUVIM is an independent political body associated with our party. They are free to have their own ideas and free to speak them out, but they does not reflect the stand of IMCS. Our position on Selexit has been always made clear: we support the fraternity between all Majatran nations. We support to help those nations in need,
and that is why we are where we are. With Selucia in the Majatran Alliance, we can have a say in Majatran politics, we can control what other nations do, we can stop anti democratic things. With Selucia out of this, we don't know how it will end.

I: After the elections, can you tell us what results do you think IMCS will get, and what are the possible political coalitions if so?

S: Of course I expect me to win over the Head of State [laughs]. Anyway, in the legislative elections, I think Selucians will benefit IMCS again, and we will end between the 2nd-3rd position. There is an strong conservative movement in the society nowadays that will probably benefit Partis Imperialis, but I hope we can win this. About the coalition governments....IMCS will be open to negotiations. We have been ruling for too long together with Partis Imperialis, and that hurted our reputation. That's why we decided to withdraw from the current Government. We've been in the opposition. We've done our job. Now it's time to move on. The only party we will not make a deal, and this can be clearly said, is with Legionem Nationis. They shall not expect anything from us. Never.
In Marea - Civis Sinistram - Selucia Former
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Postby Aethan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:40 pm

In Marea-Civis Sinistram becomes second and aims to form Government
Its leader Zelotes Siskos has been elected new Consul of the nation

Zelotes Siskos, Leader of IMCS, after becoming new Consul of Selucia

Bittersweet result of these elections for In Marea-Civis Sinistram. After the initial fears of some senior officials of the party to the possible demise of this, due to the emergence of new political parties and the advance of the extreme right in the nation, finally the historic left party has managed to contain the hit and has reaped a second place in the elections, only behind Legionem Nationis, which in its reappearance sweeps in almost all regions, and ahead of the new parties and Partis Imperialis, which passes from first to last force in the Senatus Populi.

The party, which has managed to regain its stronghold of Insularia, at the cost of losing Marestella, has thus seen the possibility of forming a possible alternative government that could prevent Legionem Nationis from taking control of the executive in Selucia, if Factio Republicana [made of some former members of IMCS] and Denique Vidimus Lucem -a progressist party- agree on the alliance.

A victory in these elections would have been the best result, of course.
has said its General Secretary, Argos Loukas, right after the final results were revealed.
However, we are happy to see that we have recovered the confidence of many citizens, and we see ourselves with possibilities of forming a coalition government that will prevent Legionem Nationis from entering the Government, which would be a total disaster for our nation. We will also have to check why this sudden rise of the extreme-right in almost every Selucian region, but the main goal now is to have a new government ready to attend the neccesities of the Selucians.

The proposed coalition, that already counts with the support of Denique Vidimus Lucem to stop the "nationalist ideas from Selucia", according to its own leaders, is now waiting for the final approval by Factio Republicana, which will give another government to Selucia after 8 years of Partis Imperialis ruling the nation.

Another reason for joy for the party has been the victory of the former minister of science and technology and current leader of the party, Zelotes Siskos, in the presidential elections held on the same day. With 30,146,375 votes (50.86%), the former minister was elected in the second round above the Legionem Nationis candidate, Martinus Varro, who won the first round with more than 40% of the votes against four other candidates, including Mr. Ziskos.

We've seen today that citizens trust the serenity of In Marea-Civis Sinistram as representative of the nation in the international scenario. The election of Mr.
Varro would have been a catastrophe for Selucia, but luckily, it has been stopped. I'm so happy to be the new Consul of Selucia, and I'll do my best to represent everyone while I'm at my position.

Mr. Ziskos, who started campaigning at the start of the year, was positively seen by many after his work during his time in the Ministry of Science, researching for rare diseases in Selucia and Majatra.
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Postby Repasto » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:56 pm

LEGIONEM NATIONIS SWEEPS ELECTIONS
However, no easy path to actual governance
Mr. Varro addresses cheering party supporters on election day

In an event mirroring the first election results of the party over a century ago, the Legionem Nationis has swept the Senatus elections and has once again become the largest single party in the nation's legislature. Some political analysts described this as a result of their "uniquely inflammatory and uncompromising rhetoric that has struck a chord especially with the large Hosian population." Indeed, crowd turnout at rallies across the country in the months before the election forecast the massive win, pointing to a politically motivated constituent base that was receptive to the LN's message of a return to a strict adherence to Hosian principles, government deregulation, and military buildup.

However, this victory was not complete by any means, and several obstacles now stand in the way of the party effectively exercising its newly-won political muscle in the Selucian government. The party received approximately 41% of the seats, making it the largest single party currently in the legislature but failing to give it even a simple majority in the legislature. Party officials had hoped to form an effective coalition with the Partis Imperialis after the results of the 4370 elections were clear, but with the PI gaining less than 10% of the votes in the election (due to what many described as the effect of "absolutely no noteworthy progress being made on anything"), those hopes of forming an effective government that could counter the significant leftist parties in the Senate were effectively dashed. With the IMCS - DVL coalition being firmly against any inclusion of the Legionem in a government, their only way to form a cabinet would be to form a coalition government with the Factio Republicana, who would potentially be receptive to working with the far-right party due to similar stances on social issues important to their voter bases. However, no source has confirmed that negotiations attempting to form such a coalition have been initiated.

In addition, the party failed to gain control of the Consulship, with now Coetus Dux Martinus Varro losing to Zelotes Siskos by a margin of less than 2%. Mr. Varro, aside from the loud speeches given on election night, made a brief comment to the press on the situation:
I would like to congratulate Consul Siskos on his victory. I would also like to remind him that, regardless of how many old bureaucrats at In-Marea scratch their heads in bewilderment as again they are beaten by our party, the results point to one simple conclusion : the people are tired of your tricks and games. They want a return to importance all the values and priorities that have let Selucia tower above all other nations in the past, and we intend to resurrect them for the people.

In any case, the Legionem Nationis, and the rest of the parties in Aurora, now have a very interesting and potentially difficult four years ahead of them.
Repasto

Postby Polites » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Republicans in Government
Republican Party joins left coalition

Republican chairman Decimus Nasennius Valens found himself kingmaker

May 4371 - The November elections, the first in the young Republican Party's history, led to a pleasant surprise for its chairmen and co-founders Decimus Nasennius Valens and Postumus Oppidius Hortensius. The Party won nearly 18% of the seats in Senate, becoming the Republic's third largest party, behind far-right Nationalist Legion and long-time governing party In the Tide. What was even more pleasing for the Republicans however was the fact that their party, founded just three years ago, became the kingmaker in Selucian politics overnight. Although Republican leadership denies this, sources within the Party confirm that they were approached by the Nationalist Legion with the offer of forming a socially-conservative coalition, with the Legion proposing to tone down its free market stance in order to sweeten the deal. The Republicans were also courted by the center-left, and within two weeks of the election they accepted the offer, and now Selucia is governed by a three-way coalition between the Republican Party, In the Tide, and At Last We See the Light. The Nationalist Legion, the electoral winner of the elections, seems to have been surrounded by a cordon sanitaire, leaving them unable to capitalize on their electoral victory, which is unsurprising given its extreme stance on religion, the market, and social issues. Many feared that the Republican Party, with its own conservative and moralizing message, would join the Legion in forming a right-wing cabinet, but these fears seem to have been misplaced. The vast majority of Pagan voters backed the Republican Party in the last elections, as the party dethroned the Imperial Party as the standard-bearer of Pagan interests. With a Pagan and left-leaning Hosian base, it would have been very much against the Republicans' best interests to collaborate with a Party openly proclaiming the end of Paganism as one of its goals.

So now the Republicans find themselves in coalition with their electoral enemies. It is unclear how the new cabinet will govern given that, other than a shared commitment to economic egalitarianism, there is little common ground between the two left-wing parties on one hand and the Republicans on the other. It is also likely that the Republicans would collaborate with the Legion in the Senate on a number of pieces of legislation, threatening the stability of the governing coalition. If this happens the next four years promise to be polarizing.
Polites

Postby Aethan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 pm

The IUVIM calls for pacific protests as new bills reach Selucian Senate
Its secretary calls "undemocratic" and "retrogade" the new bills that have been proposed and supported by Legionem Nationis and the governing faction Factio Republicana

Ilenia Montia, secretary of the IUVIM, explaining the calling for pacific protests

The IUVIM, the juvenil faction of the ruling party In Marea-Civis Sinistram, has called today for civil and pacific protests against the bills that the far-right Legionem Nationis and the conservative party Factio Republicana are proposing in the Selucian Senate, in order to "put the nation back in its dark ages".

The IUVIM is known for its more leftist positions than its main party, and its members are usually seen in protests against conservative laws.

Its general secretary, Ilenia Montia, has spoken to this newspaper about the calling for protests.

We understand that In Marea-Civis Sinistram is doing everything they can to stop this madness, but they, along with Denique Vidimus Lucem, do not have enough senators to stop this madness. We have seen that we cannot count with Partis Imperialis, that has shown its true face these days, and Factio Republicana is turning every day more and more to the right. With these protests, we want to show the Senate that there are many people against the laws that are due to pass with the votes of Legionem Nationis and Factio Republicana, and maybe with the support of Partis Imperialis. These proposals are totally unacceptable in a society of today's century,
and only shows the fascism and dictatorial character of those conservative parties. Along with these protests, we are asking In Marea-Civis Sinistram to expel Factio Republicana from government, and if needed, call for fresh elections to see if Selucians agree with this madness.

One of the protests in Victoria, Insularia

The laws she refers to are the Lex Oppidia de Poenis, that seek to make legal judicial punishment in the form of "caning", the Lex Nasennia de Pietate Defendenda, still to be voted but which proposes to make blasphemy an offense, and encourage prayer in schools mainly, and the Lex Oppidia de Capitis Poena, which has already passed with the votes of Legionem Nationis, Factio Republicana and Partis Imperialis and that restablish the death penalty in the nation and removes Selucia from the Treaty of the Objectives of the century.

The Lex Oppidia de Capitis Poena certainly worry us, mainly because the reasons our Secretary and Caesar of the nation Argos Loukas already said: this bill is done in order to just take revenge, not justice. It will also lead to innocent people being killed, because the system is not perfect. But what worry us the most is that, if they ever reach the power, they will be able to decide what is treason and what is not. And this will be the start of the end. They have already starting to prepare their dictatorship, and we will not be surprised if Factio Republicana decides to break the current government and enters in another one with LEgionem Nationis.
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Postby Polites » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:48 am

Republican "Revolution"
Republican Party dominates legislative discourse

Postumus Oppidius Hortensius (center), discussing the IUVIM protests with Decimus Nasennius Valens and several Republican senators

August 4373 - As expected after the 4370 elections, the Republican Party, in government with the center-left parties, has been collaborating with the far-right Nationalist Legion in the Senate on a number of legislative proposals that, among other things, reintroduced the death penalty, criminalized adultery, and implemented corporal punishment as a voluntary alternative to incarceration. At the same time the Republicans have been true to their left-wing origins by collaborating with their coalition partners in expanding the Republic's child benefit policy, providing tax incentives to worker-run businesses, and drastically increasing the luxury goods tax. This Senate session has thus been dominated by the small and young party's agenda, who has managed to punch far above its weight by selectively collaborating with both halves of the political spectrum. Each item of legislation the party proposed, no matter how controversial, has been passed by the Senate, and the other parties have now found themselves courting the small party on their own legislative initiatives.

But this policy domination comes at a cost. While the Republican Party has managed to retain close cooperation with all Senatorial factions, outside the legislative many voters are displeased by what many see as the Republic's right-wing turn. IUVIM in particular, the youth branch of the ruling In Marea party, has been the most critical of the Republican policies, launching a large protest against the party and its continued membership in the coalition with In Marea. In a recent interview Postumus Oppidius Hortensius, Republican co-founder and the author of the three most criticized pieces of legislation (namely the Oppidian Law on Punishments, the Oppidian Law on Capital Punishment, and the Oppidian Law on the Death Penalty) dismissed the protests as originating from ignorance and paranoia rather than genuine concern about the actual effect of the new laws.

It's obvious Montia has no clue what the hell she's talking about. If we did not have an independent judiciary and a strong legislative in Selucia then her argument that one day we'd be able to arbitrarily decide what counts as treason and what does not would hold some water. But "treason" is a specific crime in the Selucian penal code, and one that is already being punished. What the Senate did was introduce a harsher but more just penalty for traitors and others who make themselves undeserving of life, and the death penalty will be handed out by our independent courts who will continue to uphold our laws. And when she claims that the death penalty is done for revenge and not justice, it is clear she didn't even read the text of the Death Penalty Law, otherwise she'd know that the victims and their families are explicitly not allowed to be present at executions, precisely because we don't want these to be anything other than strict justice and not some cheap revenge porn for the entertainment of others. And don't even get me started on the Law on Punishments. If Montia had any brain in her head she'd know that "voluntary alternative" really means that caning is strictly voluntary. If corporal punishment really is that much worse than jail, then nobody will choose to be caned, it's as simple as that. And if a lot of criminals prefer caning, then we end up with fewer inmates and less tax money spent on keeping them in prison. Montia doesn't recognize a win-win situation when it's staring her in the face. Let her and her acolytes protest all they want, they'll only show everyone how ignorant and paranoid they are. In the meantime we better fix this situation and make sure our youth get some proper political education, so they stop embarrassing themselves like this.
Polites

Postby Aethan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Resignation in block in In Marea-Civis Sinistram after 4370 elections
The candidates for Insularia, Oriensos, Marestella and Cor Patriae have all announced their resignations due to the poor results

ImageImageImageImage
Candidates from IMCS and former Praetors from left to right: Ares Zervas (Insularia), Grosella Malica (Marestella), Poshydon Taucratius (Oriensos) and Petunia Laureata (Cor Patriae)

Turbulent day in IMCS this morning after the result of the elections of 4370. After obtaining just 111 seats of 750, no region and become the fourth and penultimate force of the Senate, four of its five regional candidates have submitted their immediate resignation of the regional executives by assuming as their own the bad outcome of the elections.

Ares Zervas (Insularia): The oldest candidate, Praetor of Insularia for 32 non-consecutive years, is the most affected by the bad result.
I have seen my party go through different results, both good and bad, but you never get used to it completely. I have always been alert, but the result of these elections has caught me totally unprepared. Losing Insularia at the hands of another left party is not that bad, and if they do it correctly, Denique Vidimus Lucem will have our support in the regional senate to have an absolute majority, but it has been a blow that citizens have considered that our party can not continue in power there with everything we have done to improve the quality of life of citizens.

Among his most popular measures, he was the first Praetor to declare illegal the salary breach based on discrimination in the region, later implemented by the executive of Argos Loukas in all the nation. He was considered the nearest to also former Praetor of Insularia Zenon Gogolas, the most popular praetor of the region since 4100. Although he anounced his retirement after the 4366 elections, the lack of strong candidates for Insularia made him change his mind and finally winning again the region. But now his resignation seems final.

Grosella Malica (Marestella): Praetor of Marestella from 4350 to 4354 and since 4358 continuously, the sudden fall of her party to the last position in these elections has destroyed her spirit.
I knew that these elections were going to be different, but I still expected to win or, at least being in the 2nd or 3rd position. Being the last force in the Marestellan Senate after all the years I've dedicated to this region has certainly broken me. Citizens have clearly said what they want, and they know want Factio Republicana to rule in Marestella, and I have to respect it, whether I like it or not. So congratulations to the new Praetor of Marestella.

The well-known Selucian economist has made clear that she won't be running again for the Praetory of Marestella, as she want "new blood" to win again the region for In Marea.

Poshydon Taucratius (Oriensos): Praetor of the region for 16 years, Mr. Taucratius has announced the shame that gives to him the result of these elections in Oriensos.
Oriensos has been for many years a progressist region. To see now that both Legionem Nationis and Factio Republicana are the leading parties in the Senate,
with 53% of the Oriensian population voting for them, is a shame for me. I was never a big fan of the goverment coalition with the Republicans, and now we have seen it.
We have given many space to the conservatives that now they have won over Oriensos. I am the one to blame for this, not the other parties. And that is why I announce my resignation.

Petunia Laureata (Cor Patriae): She was the candidate with less experience in government (8 years ruling Cor Patriae, 4350-4354 and 4358-4362), but her main job was as leader of the opposition in the conservative region.
Everyone knew that Cor Patriae and Marestella are the hardest regions for progressist parties to win. Grosella did a fantastic job in Marestella, and I failed to do it here in Cor Patriae. The results of my party in Cor Patriae have been falling over and over again since 4362, and that is why I have to resign. I prefer someone new to take over this and convince citizens to trust again our party, as it seems I've lost their confidence.

The common point of the four former regional leaders is that the coalition with Factio Republicana has killed the party, turning their most progressist voters to Denique Vidimus Lucem. The only regional leader that has not resigned, Fedora Kalla (Occidentria), has announced a left- turn in her political movements in the regional parliament, after recovering the position of leader of the opposition lost in the last legislature.
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Postby Aethan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:22 pm

Superior Iudicum to choose next member
Supreme Court of Selucia to choose replacement for Jayr Kalivas after Senate failed to appoint one.

Megadorus Pertinax, Magni Iudex of the Supremum Iudicatorium

Judges of the Selucian Supreme Court have now the responsibility of choosing their new partner, after Jayr Kalivas passed away in 4373. News broke this morning after the bill in the Senate to appoint its succesor failed to meet the requirements.

Only one candidate was proposed, Mr. Genzius Tuccius, as petition from Factio Republicana, and Minister of Justice Iris Loi presented him in the Senate prior to the Senatorial vote.

Justice Tuccius largely subscribes to legal realism, believing that value-free empirical science should serve as the model of judicial rulings, and that law is a practical tool for advancing society's welfare. In his rulings Justice Tuccius tends to emphasize that the purpose of the law is the deterrence of undesirable social consequences, using considerations of fairness and public policy, but devoid of both abstract idealism and textual formalism. He is known to judge more strictly and impose higher punishments when the defendant is wealthier, as a way of setting an example, but he also often imparts the maximum penalties for anti-social behavior like vandalism, loitering, or littering, given that he largely subscribes to the broken window theory. On social issues he is largely of the conservative tradition, but he tends to temper his personal ideological views with his belief that the social consequences of each ruling must be taken into account. As such he has often adopted a more progressive stance on issues such as domestic abuse, abortion, religion, unequal employment, and discrimination.

The process to elect the members of the Selucian Supreme Court is well fixed: first, Minister of Justice announces the vacant seat(s) and ask the Caesar of Selucia for a replacement. If the Head of Government refuses to offer a substitute, the Minister now offers the possibility to all Selucian parties, with one candidate per political party as maximum. After all candidates have been proposed, in a period of six months, the Minister of Justice with an independent judicial body electes the formal candidates, eliminating those who don't meet the minimum democratic or merits values. Once the final candidates have been chosen, an extraordinary session is called in the Senate, the first candidate submits to the vote of the Senate, whose senators must vote aloud one by one with a "yes", "no" or "abstention". Then the process is repeated with all the candidates. Once a senator has voted, they cannot repeat their vote for another candidate. Only a single majority is required for a candidate to take their seat in the Supremum Iudicatorium, but 2/3 of the Selucian political parties represented in the Senate have to vote with a "yes" or a "no", and at least 2/3 of the Senators have also to announce their "yes" or "no" vote. If any of those requirements is not met, the candidate(s) will fail their election.

If after this extraordinary session no candidate is announced as the next Iudicum for the Supremum Iudicatorium, the Caesar of the Nation immediately activates Article 99, which stablish:

If after all the candidates presented have been proposed to the Senate and no one has won the vote of confidence, the members of the Supreme Court shall be given the authority to elect a candidate by themselves.

No aditional extraordinary session to elect the Iudex can be celebrated unless the members of the Supreme Court by unanimity decide so.

And today, it was seen by Selucians that Mr. Genzius Tuccius failed in his election, leading the Government to activate Article 99 and to give exceptional powers to the Supreme Court members. Collecting 412 votes in favour from 3 parties (Denique Vidimus Lucem, Factio Republicana and In Marea-Civis Sinistram), the negative vote of Legionem Nationis and the abstention of Partis Imperialis have made impossible his election as new Superior Iudicum of Selucia, as the requirement of 2/3 of senators voting in favour or against (500 senators) was not met.

The candidate proposed by Factio Republicana after Caesar Argos Loukas refused to make a proposal to "give a fair representation in the Supreme Court to other ideologies from the nation" has therefore failed, and it is unknown if the members of the Supreme Court will think about him when choosing their new partner.

The Supreme Court, made up of an all-progressist majority since 4295 and with its oldest member being 84 years old, will probably not risk this majority by starting introducing conservative judges in the Court. It is also said that the Iudex will probably choose a woman for that position, as Seat 2 (the vacant place), along with Seat 5, has never been represented by a woman, in an institution with more than 250 years.

The election of new members for the Supreme Court is very well valued by the Selucians, and the session in the Senate is broadcast live on public television, where it always has excellent audiences.

Reactions from political parties after this turnout has not been heard yet, but the failure of the Factio Republicana candidate after managing to get the support of the left-wing forces (DVL and IMCS) for a moderate candidate is going to hurt for sure.
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Postby Aethan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Selucia finishes the construction of its first aircraft carrier
The construction, started in 4363, brings one of the major ships in the Majatran continent.

The new Selucian aircraft carrier, named "Supernova"

Selucian government has finally announced the end of the construction for its first ever aircraft carrier, that was announced 15 years ago. The new ship, called "Supernova", will make "an impact" as it will be "one of the major technologies and military ships in the Majatran continent", according to Syra Roscius, Selucian Minister of Defence.

It has taken us more time than we initially thought to build it, but now, it is going to put Selucia on the map for sure. We increased our military spending in order to finish this wonder of our nation, and we have finally seen the results. This new ship, with a lenght of 337m, a beam of 41m and a draft of 12m, will for sure protect Selucia against any type of threat. As we said, our nation has been always linked to the sea, yet our maritimal military still needed some improvements. Now we have them. The Supernova, classified as a nuclear aircraft carrier, is powered by 2 nuclear reactors and can reach an speed up to 56 km/h (35 mph). Equiped with surface-to-air missiles, and close-in weapon systems, it can carry more than 80 aircrafts, and it can hold up to 90 combat aircraft.

She also talked about the importance of controlling one of the main entrances to the Majatran Sea, which Selucia has always handled with care, and the inestability of some Majatran nations among some reasons to confirm the importance of this new ship.

Therefore, this ship will join the SSS Iustitia and the SSS Prudentiae (the two amphibious assault ships that Selucia used also as aircraft carriers, with a height 27,000 tones each) and many other ships in the Insularian port.

Minister of Defence, Syra Roscius, making the announcement on national TV
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

PreviousNext

Return to National News