Cobura

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

CCP Chairman Resigns

Postby acid_bath2 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:46 pm

September 12th, 3230
The Lochshire Times

After ten long years of party politics, CCP Chairman Matthew Hogan is stepping down. Mr. Hogan founded the CCP in 3222, and under his leadership the CCP was transformed from merely an idea to the most powerful political party in Cobura with 248 seats in the National Assembly. An anonymous source at CCP Headquarters says that Mr. Hogan has hand-picked a young Chief of Staff named Jack Amash to succeed him as chairman.

Mr. Amash, 32, graduated Irkawa State University with a B.A. in Political Science on June 6th, 3221 when he was 21 years old. He immediately started working as an intern in the communications department for the New People's Party, which at the time was the only conservative party in the nation. He rose through the ranks of the NPP and in 3223 he was promoted to deputy communications director for NPP Chairman and Presidential candidate Robert Franlow. After two years in party politics, Amash was growing tired of the NPP's big government rhetoric and yearned for a conservative party with a small government and laissez-faire ideology. His friend, Eddard Stark, had recently defected from the NPP to run for President as the CCP candidate, and asked him to be his campaign manager. Amash wasted no time in quitting his NPP job, and promptly entered CCP politics. Amash ran a good campaign, but Mr. Stark only gained 17.23% of the vote and endorsed Mr. Franlow in the second round of elections. Amash made a name for himself during the campaign as, despite his age, a tough and mature leader who was both feared and respected. Chairman Hogan personally lobbied Amash to come on as his communications director, and after three years was promoted to Chief of Staff.

It remains to be seen if the rest of the CCP will agree with Mr. Hogan's decision of support Amash as chairman. Some party officials claim he is too inexperienced and too stubborn. They cite Amash as the reason the CCP has been unforgiving and unwilling to compromise on legislation in the National Assembly. Party elections for chairman will be held on December 31st, 3231. Until then, Mr. Hogan's longtime friend and legislative adviser Peter Ellquist will be the interim party chairman.
Last edited by acid_bath2 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acid_bath2

Elections of July 3232

Postby acid_bath2 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:05 pm

October 1st, 3232
The Lochshire Times

There is a new president of the Republic, and it is not the Social Congress candidate. The Party for Individualism candidate Kim Debkowski won the election with 53.63% of the vote, against the Social Congress candidate Mary Hyde's 46.15%. The Conservative Capitalist Party and the Progressive Liberty Party both endorsed Debkowski for President, putting politics aside to end the three term reign of the Social Congress.

The National Assembly elections once again chose the Conservative Capitalist Party as the biggest party in the nation, although it was by a lesser margin than in 3228. The CCP comes in at 207 seats in the National Assembly, with the Social Congress a close second at 203 seats. The CCP ended up losing 41 seats in the July contest, while the Social Congress gained 24. This comes after once loyal CCP constituents expressed frustration in the CCP's inability to legislate on conservative issues facing the nation. These voters jumped the fence to support other parties in 3232. CCP press secretary Julia Cozza was reached for comment:
The results of the July election are disappointing, to be sure, but we are confident that after this coming legislative session, the electorate will see the left-wing agenda for what it is, and they will once again vote for the CCP in record numbers.

seats_election_14790_41.png
seats_election_14790_41.png (6.34 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

In 3228, over 25 million people voted for the Conservative Capitalist Party. The amount of people that voted for the CCP in 3232 only totals 15 million, 10 million less than last time. Political analysts have largely credited this gap to the 21.4% decline in voter turnout. In the 3228 election, a stunning 90.4% of the voting population turned out for the contest; in 3232, a more normal 69.0% of the electorate cast votes.

CCP insiders have said they were disappointed with young Chairman Jack Amash's performance. They say he didn't allocate enough resources to the ground game, and the get-out-the-vote campaign paled in comparison to the effort in 3228. Founder Matthew Hogan is still seen as the person who has veto power over any decision Amash makes, but Hogan has taken a hands-off approach, allowing Amash the freedom to manage the party in his own way.

There has been a lot of speculation as to whether Matthew Hogan has taken this leave of absence to pursue a possible Presidential run in 3236. The CCP press secretary declined to comment on such speculation. Obviously it is early in the year for Hogan to declare such intentions, and there has not been an exploratory committee formed in Hogan's name as of yet, but we will all be watching to see if Hogan will run. He is a shoe-in for the party nomination, but he has said in the past that he's not sure if he would actually win the election.
acid_bath2

Re: Coburan National News Network

Postby Hugh Green » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Deadlock over Coburan Government?

Almost a year following from the Coburan election of 3232, and a new cabinet has yet to be put together. The big winners of the election were the Social Congress and two smaller parties, the True Representation Party and the Progressive Liberty Party, who took 66 seats each -their first time in the National Assembly. The Party for Individualism took a nose-dive in the election, losing 81 of its 130 seats, while the CCP and Labour Party both took modest losses.

In the Presidential Election however, surprise rang out as voters turned away from one-term President Mary Hyde; the Progressive Liberty Party and Conservative Capitalist Party both endorsing former Deputy Prime Minister and now President Kim Debkowski.

Social Congress leader Ruairi Burke immediately proposed a Social Congress - Labour - PLP coalition, saying there was "a left-wing majority" in the Assembly. The PLP, however, having committed to supporting both a PfI President and the PfI in the Assembly, emerged as more likely to take part in a centre-right government headed by the CCP. Yet even this could not be decided, as a talks between these potential partners broke down at first. With negotiations renewed, a centre-right capitalist government looks likely, but Ruairi Burke has again suggested an alternative government - this time with the TRP and the Labour Party. It remains to be seen if this gambit will work out for Burke, who will likely face a difficult re-election for leader if not in government later this year.

Ruairi Burke celebrating after the election, which saw the Social Congress gain the highest vote share ever. His expectations of becoming Prime Minister have been dampened.
Active Party: FinEgaDef Kaj (FinEquaDef Platform), Republic of Cobura

Inactive Parties:
Front Rawlsienne, Lourenne
Social Congress, Republic of Cobura
Hugh Green

Postby Hugh Green » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:10 am

OOC: "Three term reign of the Social Congress" ...the President has no power!

Inactive Parties:
Hugh Green

Postby Sunny » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Coburan Daily News

New Cabinet appointed

It took 22 months for the Coburan Parties to build up a new cabinet. Several Cabinet proposals failed until CCP and PfI (the former coalition partners) could agree with TRP and PLP on a new government under the leadership of Aaron Grant (CCP). This coalition holds 388 of 665 seats in the National Assembly.
President Kim Debkowski (PfI) was happy with this decision:

I am glad that the parties finally came to agree on a government that represents the majority of Coburan People. Also i would like to thank my dear friend Helena (Lazareva) for leading the nation in the last 22 months without own majority. I am confident the cabinet will do a good work for the remaining 2 years.

With this the commissary government of old Prime Minister Helena Lazareva (PfI) ends and Lazareva says farewell. She will leave the political stage for her retirement. In her statement she said:

Finally it is over. I already prepared for leading the nation the next 4 years as i saw all those cabinets beeing voted down. *smiles* Nevertheless i am happy now to leave politics. It was a great pleasure to serve this nation and i hope i did my best and that something remains for the future. I thank Kim debkowski, who stood with me and encouraged me when i was tired. Kim, you are the best!
Also i want to thank the leadership of the CCP. You were great partners. This is how politics is fun!
Good luck to my successors, don't ruin it *smiles once more, answers some final question and the leaves for her retirement*

The new PfI-frontwoman on Prime Ministers Office, Lena Wais took Ministry of the Interior in the new cabinet.
Individualistic Movement = Supreme Republic of Keymon
Party for Individualism = Republic of Cobura (inactive)
Sunny

Former President Mary Hyde resigns as head of the Social Con

Postby Hugh Green » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:06 am

The Dilganato Examiner, December 3235

Mary Hyde will not seek Presidency in the Summer, resigns from Soc Con Leadership

Former President (3228 - 3222) Mary Hyde has resigned her Presidency of the Social Congress. Hyde informed a crowded meeting of the Hudson Social Congress branches of her decision, while delivering a speech on her predecessor's Presidency, Michael D. Higgins (3220 - 3228). A Special Congressional Conference has been called to take place in March, 3226, at which point Hyde's elected successor will be announced. It is thought that Hyde has stepped down due to health complications concerning her husband, Philip Rowland. Hyde was due to run to win back the Coburan Presidency in June, but it has been confirmed that she will not.
Tributes to Ms. Hyde's political career were heard from across the political spectrum today, though close supporters suggest that she has not retired from politics for good, and "may come back yet!" Hyde was 46 when she was elected President in 3228 - the youngest Head of State for many years in Cobura. Many analysts expect her to return to Coburan Politics, perhaps as an elder stateswoman of the Social Congress Assembly Group, or even as a high-ranking spokesperson. If she is set to do that however, it is not for some time. Commentators across the country have taken care to respect the fact that Hyde is leaving to take care of her husband, and, in that respect, may expect to never return to public life at all.

Norton to step down as Premier, run for National Assembly
Premier Patrick Nortion of Dilganato announced today that he will be standing down from State level politics at the July elections and intends to run for the National Assembly. Speculation was rife, even before the announcement was made public, that Norton was, in effect, declaring himself as a challenger to the leadership of Ruairi Burke. Burke, who surprised many when he won the leadership election on 3229 (when Norton came third), is thought to be on parole with the membership for failing to return the organisation to government at the least election, despite increasing their vote share to unprecedented levels. For their part, Burke supporters are anxious at the moves being made by other major players to challenge Mr. Burke, most notably Premier Norton.
Norton, however, dismissed such speculation today,

"Look, I have led the government of Dilganato since 3220 - 15 and a half years ago. The people of Dilganato cannot be lumped with me forever, and it is time for new blood to come through at state level. My interest in national politics was always strong, and now I feel I can move on to that stage, happy with what I have achieved at state level. In terms of seniority, will I have more experience than many current Assembly members? Yes, but that does not mean I am a threat. It simply means that I am a veteran, but we already knew that."

The Dilganato Examiner, January 3236

Search is on for Hyde's Replacement

The rumour mill surrounding the replacement for Mary Hyde has President of the Social Congress (and potentially President of Cobura) has been reaching fever pitch over the last few days. The "Pre-Congressional Conclave on Congressional Organisation" (PCCCO) will be held today among the 5 State Executives and the National Executive of the organisation, and will, among other things, produce the nominations for President of Congress. Several names have been bandied about, and it seems the election will have an immediate political significance - unusual for Social Congress Presidents, who are normally elected well ahead of the next Presidential election, and take time building up their profile.

The pressure has been mounting on Ruairi Burke, and it has been reported that he might be compelled to take the Presidency, thus resigning as Assembly Leader and Prime Ministerial candidate before the general election. Should this happen, Simon Fitzgerald the current Deputy Assembly Leader, will likely be the Prime Ministerial candidate and perhaps even Prime Minister until after another special conference, which would be held late in 3236. This option would be a 'soft' way of removing Burke for those in the Congress who would rather he was gone, and personally, of course, he may feel he has more chance of becoming President than becoming Prime Minister.

Similarly, Burke's opponents may suffer a blow if a strong ally of Burke is elevated to the position, and it is thought that Burke may try to push this. Thus, Internal Affairs spokesman Pat Lynch may find himself nominated. Someone such as Lynch may be able to sure up support for Burke within the organisation, cementing his position. Another such ally would be Annie Phelps, current Congress VP for Civil & Social Policy, who is the only name being suggested whose background lies outside electoral politics.

Allies of some of Burke's opponents, including Frances O'Higgins and former supporters of Enda Cosgrave, as well as Patrick Norton and his political machine, may try to put forward their own candidate to use as a proxy to undermine Burke. Such tactical use of the Congressional Presidency has never been seen before in Social Congress history, and will most certainly threaten to split the organisation if there is discord on the behaviour of the new President.

Inactive Parties:
Hugh Green

Postby Hugh Green » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:05 pm

The Dilganato Examiner, February 3236

Norton to become President of the Social Congress!

The conclave finished their long session yesterday before announcing that just one candidate had been nominated for President of the Social Congress: Patrick Norton, current Premier of Dilganato. Norton gave a short acceptance speech outside the Augustus Social Congress Headquarters where the meeting was held, to thank his supporters and the various executives of the party for the unanimous support he received in taking the office. He will officially take over from acting-President, Julia Grange, at a special conference to be held next month.

However, while Norton may be content to get the job, it is well-known that he wanted to run for the National Assembly in July, something he now cannot do. Amidst reports of heated scenes within the conclave between Burke supporters and their opponents, it is widely suspected that Norton accepted his nomination only after it became clear that Burke had amassed enough support to retain the leadership past the next year. It has also been leaked that Norton was threatened with "8 years in the political wilderness before a timely retirement."

A remarkable coup then, by Burke, who's leadership in the Assembly is now secure.

But that's not all for Norton. Along with the news of his nomination, was the news of an unprecedented motion that will be put to the Conference next month: a motion to NOT run a Presidential candidate! If it passes, Norton will be put in an extremely embarrassing situation.

ImageImage
Patrick Norton (left) will become President of the Social Congress, but Leader of the Opposition Ruairi Burke (right) is thought to have outmaneuvered him here, and will most likely retain his job as Assembly Leader of the Social Congress for the near future.
Last edited by Hugh Green on Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inactive Parties:
Hugh Green

Postby zlopado » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:02 pm

Cobura National Radio
Where We Tell You the Truth
Adam French hopeful about future of Coalition government

With the election just months away, Progressive Liberty Party spokesman Adam French stated that he would again refrain from running for President. Instead, he will continue to back incumbent President Debkowski.

Since we banded together to install Debkowski, the coalition has been a great success. I believe that the Progressives, together with the Individualists, Conservatives, and Populists, can and will make a better future. I look forward to staying in government with my colleagues, and wish them luck in the election.
House Forstev (Liberal Republican Party & People's Great Society of Hope) -- Beluzia
zlopado

Postby zlopado » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:08 am

Cobura National Radio
Where You're Never Ignorant

Election Brings Change to Cobura

We've once again had a magnificent election in our magnificent country! Former President Kim Debkowski proved unpopular, losing out in the first round despite the support of the Progressive Liberty Party. The Individualists and Conservatives banded together around CCP candidate Matt Hogan, but lost out to Social Congress candidate Patrick Norton. We here at CNR would like to give a hearty congratulations to President Norton, and hope that he will continue on the great tradition of Presidential leadership in Cobura.

In the legislature, Social Congress did not perform so well. They took a massive nosedive, losing 93 seats. All other parties saw modest increases in representation, but the real winner was the Conservative Capitalist Party. With the Social Congress' power weakened, the Conservatives now hold 29 more seats and a lot more power, and are more than twice the size of Social Congress, which is still the second largest party. All other positions of relative power have stayed the same, though the Progressives have gained more ground than the True Representation Party. All in all, it was a terribly exciting election.

It remains to be seen how the cabinet will turn out. Will the current coalition that PLP spokesman Adam French spoke so hopefully of remain? This is a question that is sure to keep Coburan politicos riveted.

House Forstev (Liberal Republican Party & People's Great Society of Hope) -- Beluzia
zlopado

Burke Resigns Social Congress Assembly Leadership

Postby Hugh Green » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:43 am

Cob.Ura_News.org (July 3236)

Burke Resigns Leadership of Social Congress Assembly Group;
Fitzgerald favourite to take position.

Disasterous election results that were confirmed last night have led to the resignation with immediate effect of Ruairi Burke from his position of Assembly Leader in the Social Congress. The election saw the Social Congress lose seats for the first time since re-entering national politics in 3220, and what a loss it was! The assembly group was almost cut in half, and in their strongest state of Dilganato the once majority party was overtaken by Labour. Simon Fitzgerald will now take over as Acting Assembly Group Leader, which notionally means that he 'could' become Prime Minister should he manage to split the governing coalition over the next week, unlikely as he is to try. Fitzgerald has been Deputy Leader since Burke's election in 3229 - an election in which he himself ran, topping the poll on the first count but failing to pick up transfers. It is not in doubt that he will enter the race for Burke's successor later in the year.

Congratulations President Norton!

Meanwhile Social Congress President Patrick Norton now becomes the President of Cobura! Norton was able to beat incumbent President Kim Debkowski to 2nd place thanks to the presence of CCP candidate Matthew Hogan. The split in the governing coalition vote caused a straight battle between the two largest parties in the 2nd round, in which many TRP and PLP voters - with no formal endorsement to follow - opted to go against the grain of Coburan politics and vote for a Social Congress President.

Government to dominate over Opposition in New Assembly

There were quiet calls in the aftermath of Norton's election for the Social Congress to open cabinet negotiations with Labour, the PLP and TRP. Ruairi Burke's resignation, however, has made that an even more unlikely course of action than it already would've been. It seems the Social Congress will once more lead the Opposition inside the Assembly, alongside the Labour Party and opposite a government with a massively improved mandate but a seemingly divided coalition of supporters (going by voting patterns in the Presidential election).

ImageImageImage
Ruairi Burke (top) announces resignation as Social Congress Assembly Leader. Deputy Leader Simon Fitzgerald (bottom left), who will take over in the interim, prepares to give comment on last night's election results. Patrick Norton (bottom-right) signs the commission of office before officially starting his term as President of Coubra.

Will Grant's Cabinet Remain?

Aaron Grant, having secured re-election most spectacularly, with a large increase of support for the governing coalition, must now decide whether to negotiate the formation of a new cabinet, or allow the current one to have a second term. With a whopping 447 seats combined in the National Assembly, Grant's government will start the new term with a majority of 229 over the 218 Social Congress/Labour deputies. Grant could easily afford to lose any one of his three coalition partners, and this may be tempting in order to gain more cabinet seats for the remaining partners, and keeping his own back-benchers happier still. Grant and his aides have so far given no indication of their present plans, but if they do we'll have it here first @ cob.Ura-News.org!

Inactive Parties:
Hugh Green

PreviousNext

Return to National News